Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Can anyone give me pointers on playing Combat Jedi Sentinel?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Can anyone give me pointers on playing Combat Jedi Sentinel?

Metthew's Avatar


Metthew
08.27.2019 , 07:57 AM | #31
I haven't really gotten used to playing Marauder / Sentinel in ranked yet, but it looks like DCD usage and positioning makes the difference between global material and unstoppable wrecking ball - even considering Fury vs. Annihilation / Carnage. I'd suggest watching streams of people playing Marauder on a good level - Asstor is one person, Aqrius when he plays marauder is another.
Erhart / Wilhemine | Darth Malgus | <Take a Seat>

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
08.27.2019 , 08:14 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Metthew View Post
I haven't really gotten used to playing Marauder / Sentinel in ranked yet, but it looks like DCD usage and positioning makes the difference between global material and unstoppable wrecking ball - even considering Fury vs. Annihilation / Carnage. I'd suggest watching streams of people playing Marauder on a good level - Asstor is one person, Aqrius when he plays marauder is another.
The first streamer you named is merely a wintrader, not a good player.

Metthew's Avatar


Metthew
08.27.2019 , 08:20 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
The first streamer you named is merely a wintrader, not a good player.
Well, don't know much about NA - I only named him because of name recognition from what other NA people have told me. I play EU hours with EU people and spend time being domestic at home at NA prime time. Not that I take what you said at face value, but I won't be defending him either.

Speaking of streams, I guess Cerasi sometimes plays Marauder too, and he both knows survival and is 100% legit. Here's a top banter clip of him going to regen in a tank game: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472464830
Erhart / Wilhemine | Darth Malgus | <Take a Seat>

MandoMetal's Avatar


MandoMetal
08.27.2019 , 10:29 AM | #34
I don't know to what extent Astor wintraded or how valid that claim is... but regardless hes still one of the better ranked players on NA, and a valid source of info as mara is usually his main
- All-Galaxy Roleplayer

"I may be hetero bud... but I'll blast you with so much KappaPride, it'll make ur gendr spin"

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
08.27.2019 , 11:00 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by MandoMetal View Post
I don't know to what extent Astor wintraded or how valid that claim is... but regardless hes still one of the better ranked players on NA, and a valid source of info as mara is usually his main
His ratings have been reset several times due to wintrading. And those are just the times he got caught for doing it blatantly. You can ask him yourself, or you can see his reset toons for yourself on the season 10 leaderboards. A lot of his buddies that he wintrades with have also been reset. Any success he's had in ranked is therefore totally invalidated.

So what you are saying is pure nonsense. Wintrading and being a good player are mutually exclusive. He is a wintrader, nothing more. To suggest that he's one of the better ranked players on NA is laughable.

MandoMetal's Avatar


MandoMetal
08.27.2019 , 11:29 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
His ratings have been reset several times due to wintrading. And those are just the times he got caught for doing it blatantly. You can ask him yourself, or you can see his reset toons for yourself on the season 10 leaderboards. A lot of his buddies that he wintrades with have also been reset. Any success he's had in ranked is therefore totally invalidated.

So what you are saying is pure nonsense. Wintrading and being a good player are mutually exclusive. He is a wintrader, nothing more. To suggest that he's one of the better ranked players on NA is laughable.
You can still be quite good at playing parts of the game or ranked or whatever even if you cheat or had cheated. Certainly those that cheat deserve a rightous spanking from the divine hand of Mike B, but I would say there are degrees of it that need to at least be taken into account when weighing their heart against the feather.

Some of those who blatantly trade are obviously not Top3 worthy when you face them just from how poorly they play... cant say Astor is one of those. Give the Devil his due
- All-Galaxy Roleplayer

"I may be hetero bud... but I'll blast you with so much KappaPride, it'll make ur gendr spin"

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
08.27.2019 , 11:44 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by MandoMetal View Post
You can still be quite good at playing parts of the game or ranked or whatever even if you cheat or had cheated. Certainly those that cheat deserve a rightous spanking from the divine hand of Mike B, but I would say there are degrees of it that need to at least be taken into account when weighing their heart against the feather.

Some of those who blatantly trade are obviously not Top3 worthy when you face them just from how poorly they play... cant say Astor is one of those. Give the Devil his due
We'll have to agree to disagree. Wintraders are defined by their actions. It is not a crime caused by passion or desperation or necessity, or by accident. People purposely cheat due to greed and arrogance. Such people are scum. I fail to see any "degrees."

Furthermore, I've played against him a bunch of times. He's no different from most of the other maras in queue except he's wintraded his way to higher ratings.

THEEXlLEDONE's Avatar


THEEXlLEDONE
08.27.2019 , 12:28 PM | #38
Oh hai

MandoMetal's Avatar


MandoMetal
08.27.2019 , 03:10 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. Wintraders are defined by their actions. It is not a crime caused by passion or desperation or necessity, or by accident. People purposely cheat due to greed and arrogance. Such people are scum. I fail to see any "degrees."

Furthermore, I've played against him a bunch of times. He's no different from most of the other maras in queue except he's wintraded his way to higher ratings.
Some cheat after they tried to play legit season after season and kept losing to cheaters at the last moment every season, etc. Its not really acceptable to cheat in cases as these or any case, and it might not even be the case here, but with reasons like that its more understandable... a lot of ranked has always been a kind of a giant joke in that regard, more so in the very recent seasons.

At this point in the game they have let quite a lot of wintraders, hackers, backfillers, etc. get buy. Its amazing literally everyone isn't cheating just as a giant middle finger at the excessive amount of arbitrarity and injustice due to incompetence and/or inability on the Devs part.


I get that if you do something you are by definition that thing... there are just many sub-types that fall under categories that can be relevant at different levels of analysis.

I was saying that you at least have the potential to learn more from a skilled wintrader compared to one that had no ability and cheated because they had no other means. If nothing else you can learn what not to do.

Like many ranked players nowadays that have been around a while, I play most classes at or near what is a Top3 level, and Astor does play at that level in my opinion.
- All-Galaxy Roleplayer

"I may be hetero bud... but I'll blast you with so much KappaPride, it'll make ur gendr spin"

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
08.27.2019 , 03:27 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by MandoMetal View Post
Some cheat after they tried to play legit season after season and kept losing to cheaters at the last moment every season, etc. Its not really acceptable to cheat in cases as these or any case, and it might not even be the case here, but with reasons like that its more understandable... a lot of ranked has always been a kind of a giant joke in that regard, more so in the very recent seasons.
To put it politely, that's hogwash. I already summed up that particular attitude: greed and arrogance. Such players already think they're so good that they deserve top 3 even if they can't earn it legitimately, so they justify cheating in their small minds. It's truly pathetic and there is nothing "understandable" about it.

Quote: Originally Posted by MandoMetal View Post
I get that if you do something you are by definition that thing... there are just many sub-types that fall under categories that can be relevant at different levels of analysis.
For sure, for many different kinds of wrongdoing that's true. What would those sub-types be in the case of wintrading? There are no mitigating circumstances of any kind for a start. I don't see what would distinguish a worse wintrader from a less worse wintrader.

Quote: Originally Posted by MandoMetal View Post
I was saying that you at least have the potential to learn more from a skilled wintrader compared to one that had no ability and cheated because they had no other means. If nothing else you can learn what not to do.
"Skilled wintrader" is an oxymoron. There are plenty of legit maras to learn from that one needn't resort to wintrading scum.