Hot Prospect Name Concerns

EricMusco

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reality happened when they looked at financial costs associated with maintaining separate barely populated RP servers vs putting them with other players.

I think they prioritized ping and main play times, because you can make a really solid case for either of those being many player's prime determination of server. If you took a vote between "merge both RP servers into a timezone that is less convenient for me" and "merge both RP servers into a megaserver in their timezone" I'm not sure which one would win, but I know that the safer bet would be the one that doesn't mess with timezones and pings as much.

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals.

Oh, please. This is a deflection. You have an outfit in game called "Slave Girl." Changing the name of the server isn't about people being offended. It's about devs not wanting to continually be mocked about the name "Hot Prospect."

...snip

Im pretty sure Harbinger can be seen as derogatory to a certain fictional alien race of sentient machines...

That would only be One of an Alien Race of Sentient AI Machines Bent on the Destruction of All Advanced Chaotic Organic Life in the Universe, in the name of ORDER. All the others were just called Reapers.... Only ONE had a named.

"We are The Harbinger of your Destruction"

Over the past couple of days, I have noticed players (here, in the game's chat channels, and on other boards) casually referring to the Hot Prospect server using nicknames like "Hot Pocket," including in conversations that have nothing whatever to do with how lame the name was.

"If you're into decorating Strongholds in themes, you might want to buy up at least the cheaper Strongholds, like the capital world apartments, on different servers before the merge. That way, when they get merged into Star Forge and Hot Pocket, you'll have multiple apartments to decorate in different ways."

"Most of my characters are on Shadowlands and Ebon Hawk, so I'll be on Star Forge most of the time. But I'll probably create a few more characters on Hot Pocket just to give it a try."

"So it looks like they'll be increasing the maximum number of character slots per server. Does anybody know how much? I'm not so much worried about Hot Topic, but I could wind up with like 110 characters on Star Forge."

"Well, if that doesn't pan out, you could always just forget about Hot Potato and switch your mains over to Star Forge."

And on and on and on ...

It honestly looked to me like the server was, for all practical purposes, going to be permanently renamed "Hot Pocket," mostly, and a few other names here and there. I think that very few players would ever refer to it by its intended name, "Hot Prospect."

Maybe the developers saw the same, and maybe they didn't. But I still agree with the people who are saying that the "We don't want to offend our players" line is just an excuse, a deflection. I think the real reason they're changing the name was because they just didn't want to deal with the inevitable constant jokes and mockery over the name.

Why Satele Shan? Why not name the server after a REAL hero of the Jedi Order? I hereby propose that the server be renamed to "Yadira "Bubblegum" Ban" in honor of a true legend, that I expect will rise up soon in full cybernetic glory to claim her rightful place as emperor of the universe!

Its been changed for those people in that area. You can argue back and forth all day long or until the server mergers happen or grow up and move on to something else.

Constant bickering over the name, which has been changed, is a bit pointless.

(And No I didn't care since it wasn't going to be my server)

Its been changed for those people in that area. You can argue back and forth all day long or until the server mergers happen or grow up and move on to something else.

Constant bickering over the name, which has been changed, is a bit pointless.

(And No I didn't care since it wasn't going to be my server)

Apparently Satele Shan is offensive to some because of her initials. People will find offense where ever they can. 2017, the year of the offended.

Pfft, even if they removed all names and just said SERVER #1 Or SERVER A, people would be offended because they had server 3 or server C.

Bioware, you do realize that The Hot Prospect/Satele Shan will be importing Harb which is largely an Imp dominated server. You also realize that as Imps the majority have delighted in punishing, eviscerating, and otherwise hating Satele Shan.

In other words, another name change is recommended. ;)

folks, seriously, the reason they gave in the post wasn't the reason at all, just spin-doctoring to give themselves the moral high ground and not have to admit they created a dumb name.

This is a game with murder, torture, sex slaves and all other sorts of horrible depravity. Do you really think BW gives a damn about people getting offended over The Hot Prospect?

Wow, I was pretty disappointed when I read that the server name was changed, especially to something so...boring.

I actually liked the original name of "The Hot Prospect" as to me it sounded like a cool ship name, and I was looking forward to playing on it. But honestly, with "Satele Shan" as the server name I'll likely be playing the game even less.

I'm also disappointed that people would ever feel offended by or uncomfortable with "The Hot Prospect" as the name.

Getting upset over a servername seems silly to me. I hardly notice what name my server has. I just log in and play the game.

It is not like they can ever get it right for everybody. People like different things. And a lot of people feel the urge to complain about what they do not like.

I would still have found the Hot Prospect a better name than what I will be fored to go to. Why in the name of all that is holy do we get Darth Malgus? I detested him in game, I seriously don't want to see that name on my login screen. Were there really no other memorable sith, for crying out loud..

Edited: Was told that I could get infractions points for referring to politics to give an example. Wouldn't want that. Thus, you have to interpret it by yourself now:

Indeed. Glad I'm not alone.

I made my point before, but now I take it one step further:

Imagine your server shall be named after an [edited] [edited]. Could be called [edited], [edited], [edited], [edited]... but instead, your server will be called [edited].

Wouldn't you wonder as well what [...] made them choose [edited] of all the [edited]?

Malgus is the [edited] of the Sith. That includes his big fandom. "Make the Empire great again." - Fans: "Em-pi-re! Em-pi-re!" - Malgus: FAIL!

Dear devs: Tear down this name!

Could the Malgus-server be renamed to "Pazaak"? I cannot imagine anyone who wouldn't be OK with this name. :D

Edited by JattaGin

Indeed. Glad I'm not alone.

I made my point before, but now I take it one step further:

Imagine your server shall be named after an American president. Could be called Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy... but instead, your server will be called Trump.

Wouldn't you wonder as well what in the heck made them choose Trump of all the presidents?

Malgus is the Trump of the Sith. That includes his big fandom. "Make the Empire great again. - Fans: "Em-pi-re! Em-pi-re!" - Malgus: FAIL!

Dear devs: Tear down this name!

Could the Malgus-server be renamed to "Pazaak"? I cannot imagine anyone who wouldn't be OK with this name. :D

Thank you, that is actually a very accurate representation. Use a name that has historic relevance instead of just abusing one of the current game NPCs and things are fine.

So, what I gather from this thread and more recent posts that whatever they name the servers there are still some who will dislike whatever name it is.

There are some who dislike Malgus as he fell to an Ubermensch PC, how could he win exactly?

I can't stand Satele Shan myself, the most bland woman in existence who has the armour of a family name. "I have 16 super duper Republic Battle Cruisers and murdered a whole bunch of Imperials, you won't win."

PC proceeds to win with no showing of boring Jedi lady and her illusory fleet. That and she's a terrible parent, she had no inclination to fire Theron out of a torpedo tube. Absolutely terrible parenting, now I have to put up with him.

DISCLAIMER: Stuff it, you know the drill by now.....

Edited by orangenee

So, what I gather from this thread and more recent posts that whatever they name the servers there are still some who will dislike whatever name it is.

This is what you took out of all those threads? Quite a stretch, if you ask me. *

There are some who dislike Malgus as he fell to an Ubermensch PC, how could he win exactly?

I see you read the Empire-funded version of the Galac History book.

That and she's a terrible parent, she had no inclination to fire Theron out of a torpedo tube. Absolutely terrible parenting, now I have to put up with him.

Agreed. But aren't you one of those who married him and are decorating your stronghold together for all the offsprings you gonna create? (There are so many on this board, I don't remember all their names.)

* :D

Edited by JattaGin

I find it hard to believe that people would play more or less on a server bc of the name lol.

And while I also find it hard to believe that anyone would be offended by the phrase 'hot prospect', it does not surprise me that someone SAID it offended them..

thats the problem today.. no one is actually offended - they just like pointing out how one might be offended. Its like they think they get points for identifying what is potentially offensive

This is what you took out of all those threads? Quite a stretch, if you ask me. *

See disclaimer

I see you read the Empire-funded version of the Galac History book.

It's the only version worth reading, the Pub version has too many ponies and rainbows in it

Agreed. But aren't you one of those who married him and are decorating your stronghold together for all the offsprings you gonna create? (There are so many on this board, I don't remember all their names.)

No, I'm not one of those lunatics. Troy Baker gets too much work.

* :D

*Mic drop*