Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Female Romance Options

Malaix
12.27.2011 , 09:14 AM | #31
straight male romance always overshadows otehr genders/orintations. Bioware was starting to change this but kind of reverted here I think in large because it is an MMO that they want to appeal to the biggest demographic.

At least straight women have options.

I do hope in the future to see some gay male leads akin to Captain Jack Harkens of Torchwood.

LizardSF
12.27.2011 , 09:24 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Malaix View Post
straight male romance always overshadows otehr genders/orintations. Bioware was starting to change this but kind of reverted here I think in large because it is an MMO that they want to appeal to the biggest demographic.

At least straight women have options.

I do hope in the future to see some gay male leads akin to Captain Jack Harkens of Torchwood.
Jack Harkness isn't gay. Jack Harkness is omnivorous. (Males, females, insectoids, giant space cows...)

(Programmatically, I can see it being relatively straightforward; each companion has a 'romance option' that tips when a certain level of Affection is reached, and some percentage of conversations have divergent text based on if you're romantic or not. To keep things somewhat simple, you'd have two basic rules: Players would choose the 'preferred gender' for romance for their character (male, female, either, or 'No romance') and the companion with the highest affection rating is the 'romantic interest'. The real bear is, of course, recording all the optional dialog text and animations. Given those constraints, it's not surprising the first out the gate would be those likely to appeal to the widest audiences.)

Of course, if/when Bioware introduces same-sex romances, I can just imagine the Usual Suspects going "Star Wars has been perverted into a tool for the homosexual agenda", or something.
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

Evolvana
12.27.2011 , 09:33 AM | #33
As I said somewhere else, same-sex romances are more for heterosexual players who want to have fun then anything else. But yes I guess there will always be some people to say it's wrong.

It would be cool if they added new characters for romances, and we could romance them at any level. They would have the same level as our character (if you take that companion at lvl 15 he will be lvl15, if you take him at level 50 he will be lvl 50). I would be easier for everyone.

Malaix
12.27.2011 , 09:35 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by LizardSF View Post
Jack Harkness isn't gay. Jack Harkness is omnivorous. (Males, females, insectoids, giant space cows...)

(Programmatically, I can see it being relatively straightforward; each companion has a 'romance option' that tips when a certain level of Affection is reached, and some percentage of conversations have divergent text based on if you're romantic or not. To keep things somewhat simple, you'd have two basic rules: Players would choose the 'preferred gender' for romance for their character (male, female, either, or 'No romance') and the companion with the highest affection rating is the 'romantic interest'. The real bear is, of course, recording all the optional dialog text and animations. Given those constraints, it's not surprising the first out the gate would be those likely to appeal to the widest audiences.)

Of course, if/when Bioware introduces same-sex romances, I can just imagine the Usual Suspects going "Star Wars has been perverted into a tool for the homosexual agenda", or something.
Haha true, but I always thought he was a pretty good example of how us gays break the stereotype in so many ways both on screen and off screen and should be a roll model to be considered when exploring sexuality in games and writing.

And you are right there are enough biggoted people out there to make a scene out of this which is why I think it was dropped. It could easily jump the rating of a game too, social conservatives love threatening developers with that.

But these tend to be the same people that think video games promote witchcraft and feminism and should be banned on that account as well. So you can't really win with em. I think open minded/people who don't care/everyone else is a bigger market if you just take the risk. I can live with or without it but it is a minor let down to see a whole game come out with flirt options and somehow every gay in the universe disapering/the game pretending we don't exist.

Macdanif
12.27.2011 , 09:42 AM | #35
You just have to pay attention. I'm playing a female toon, Jedi Consular, and the second companion is obviously the romance choice. He tries to flirt a lot (even though it doesn't say flirt) and you lose companion points anytime you are even remotely friendly to any other male NPC or other character. He is obviously the jealous type. It is funny as hell to me. Unfortunately he is a healer and I don't need him at all in my travels so he doesn't get much play. The last companion is the supposedly the female love interest so I'll wait for the same gender stuff. She is definately my favorite character to run with.

Shizuru
43 Jedi Consular Sage
Tarro Blood

Evolvana
12.27.2011 , 12:48 PM | #36
Who's the male romance otpion for Jedi Consular?

I know the one for Jedi Knight is "Doc" but he's not attractive at all.

Rogstar
12.27.2011 , 12:57 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolvana View Post
As I said somewhere else, same-sex romances are more for heterosexual players who want to have fun then anything else. But yes I guess there will always be some people to say it's wrong.

Ya know, I love my husband and I love looking at a good male behind, but sometimes, I just have this fluttering feeling when talking to Kaliyo on my femIA. And I was someone who had to replay DA 3times as a noble human just for the damn Alistair romance.

Not sure what it is about her, but all of her bravado, snarky comments, and talking about how cute a guy is or whether someone is her type or not makes me think that she likes me more than she admits! It's just screaming same-sex romance! Maybe nothing long term, but I'm thinking it could be fun!

It could have something to do with being early 20s and not having any male companions yet...

Samy_Merchi
12.27.2011 , 03:02 PM | #38
I'm annoyed as heck at the limited romance options. Specifically a male Jedi Consular has to go like 90% through the game without any romance at all?!? Lots of gender/class combos don't even obtain their romance companions until more than halfway through the game! I really wish all the initial companions would have launched with Dragon Age 1 type bisexuality options, that way at least if I don't want to wait until level fortysomething for my romance companion I could at least have the option to start a romance earlier even it would have to be with a non-preferred gender.

LizardSF
12.27.2011 , 03:06 PM | #39
It occurs to me that, for true accuracy to the source material, there should be a 50% chance that whoever you romance turns out to be your sibling, parent, or child.
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

BrigOrion
12.29.2011 , 09:17 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolvana View Post
As I said somewhere else, same-sex romances are more for heterosexual players who want to have fun then anything else.
Are you so amazingly ignorant that you think the only people who play games are heterosexual?