The most overpowered / underpowered class?

WarBandito

Not a troll post, but a genuine query, We all know that parses don’t reflect the true state of affairs, so I am wondering as to what people think from their own experiences are the most overpowered and underpowered classes.

I don’t mean to the sense of game breaking, more along the lines of what you think is top tier and bottom tier.

The most OP class is one played by an expert in that class. The least OP class is one played by a dumb klutz who doesn't know the difference between Mortar Volley and Ravage.

Sorry if that doesn't seem helpful, but differences in player skill have far more impact than differences in class/discipline performance. The theoretical differences between equally-equipped classes are (or should be no more than) on the order of a few percent. The difference between that expert and the dumb klutz can easily be ten to one.

For reference, I'm somewhere between the two extremes, although I'm closer to the klutz for tank and healer disciplines, and for Operative/Scoundrel and Vanguard/PT DPS and Sentimara of any type.

I'll start with putting what i believe is the baseline low and then comparing relative to that. Important assumption - i base all of this on the foundation that we assume each class is being played by someone of equal skill.

Sorcerer / Sage - Nothing about it feels amazing at the moment, it's always been one of those up and down classes, i remember years ago when madness was the dominating spec. It feels squishy to play as a DPS and doesn't deliver anything exceptional and pretty much everything can do what it does better. Healing isn't notable at the moment - though i am not a healer, therefore this is more based on what others say.

Carnage Marauder - I love rapidly swinging my sabers around but Mara's relatively low survivability coupled with an almost exclusively physical damage spec that offers nominal burst windows and low-ish sustain just doesn't work well. It can be successful but most specs in the hands of a similarly skilled player are going to be a better pick.

What do i find is OP in comparison to the two above?

Operative / Scoundrel - Simple yet highly effective, has the option to pick fights and almost guarantee starting advantage in a PvP situation, offers a lot of utility and is relatively unique in the fact that it can heal at melee range without suffering too badly.

Vigilance Guardian - The damage potential coupled with the survivability is commendable, it's a very solid option for almost all areas of the game and an ideal solo player pick if you aren't into stealthing around.

Engineering Sniper / Saboteur Gunslinger - Insane damage potential for both single target and AoE, can sustain it over decent periods of time, good source of crowd control and annoyance but also can hold its own for a while, without being overly squishy. The ability to switch to Lethality if you need is also great.

This is all subjective, i'm not basing this on anything overly analytical, but this is how i've seen it at the moment, i have not played top tier PvP nor am i a super competitive Operation person therefore in those areas it could be completely different.

It depends on what content you want to run.

Overall all classes are somewhat balanced. There are classes that are very good in one kind of content but average in the other.

In Ranked there are Tiers for the classes who probably only are OP in this environment.

PT DPS comes to mind who is a glass canon. Or Jugg Skank.

In nightmare the OPness depends on the bosses/mechanics.

Healers:

after the merc nerf all healers should be balanced somewhat in all content.

I´d say sorc/operative will be the best in PvP though, because of their utilities.

Tanks:

Again it depends on the bosses/content.

Though I think PTs are a bit weaker because they have to farm their best set in Dxun.

Most overpowered classes are at the moment:

1) Powertech

2) Sorc

3) Juggernaut & Operative

Buffs needed:

1) Marauder: DOT Spread with every AOE Skill, more AOE Smash Damage and Range; Sword Reflect should reflect damage

2) Merc needs 7% more Damage

3) Sniper needs 7% more Damage

Nerfs needed:

1) Juggernaut DD needs middle Amor and weaker defs

2) Lightning Sorc needs less AOE Damage while single target rotation (noob class with max DPS is ...)

3) Powertech DPS global -7%

4) Merc: weaker defs

Depends on what you define overpowered and underpowered. Are you talking about the class in general? Or classes being overpowered/underpowered because of tools?

If you're talking about the class/spec being strong in general, then its simple.

1 ) Overpowered: Sorcerer, specifically Lightning, feels just absurdly strong. It has everything you need. The most utility out of all classes. Cleanse works on 70% - 80% of all cc's and hardstuns available in the game; Its the spec that has the highest potential DPS capability out of all right now (You can destroy anyone in mere seconds and force them to pop half the arsenal of their defensives along, as well); strong survivability, and by a really large degree, with all the resist to roots available, permanent damage reduction just by doing what you have to do (doing damage alone grants you +15% damage reduction and using barrier to keep debuff, automatically awards + 10%) while also possessing Phasewalk, Bubble and Pull, which are complete combat disengages; The offheals are still strong (sure it busts through your energy but if you can play around this, there won't be much problem anyway); And the fact they can perma slow entire teams, with roots that come very frequently is also a strong aspect; And the last of all, it doesn't need a Tactical to be strong. The spec alone already is.

2 ) Underpowered: Carnage Mara and Annihilation Mara, Madness Sorcerer, Rage Juggernaut. No words are needed and everyone knows why they are underperforming. Their other alternative of a spec is just much better in everything in everything.

Carnage mara - has no burst and its only "saving" grace is the 'net attack' but comes out better to play with Fury;

Anni mara - its just bad, their damage is flat out gone. The more patches it goes through, the worse it became, as even Fury surpasses in AOE damage too;

Madness Sorc - Lightning does literally everything better and in every way. AOE damage? Lightning > Madness, Single target damage? Lightning > madness, Survivability? Lightning > Madness, Tools? Since you can abuse alacrity thresholds, Lightning > Madness

Rage Juggernaut - Discount Fury Mara while dealing less damage than Veng. It has the saving grace of having "no dots" and possibility to play around with CC more but given its dps potential, its just meh.

Now for the part where one includes tools:

1 ) Overpowered: Lightning Sorcerer (again), Concealment Operative, AP PT, Immortal Juggernaut, Any warrior class/spec with Force Bound bonus set

Lightning Sorcerer: its obvious. Its an already really strong class and if you given them a tactical (Both Stormwatch and the AOE [Elemental Convection, right?] tacticals) that increases their dps potential by practically double, and it will be felt.

Concealment Operative: One of the reasons of the constant nerfs to the bonus sets was because of Volatile Strike and that tactical remains still somewhat troublesome. Its garanteed 40% to 50% damage dealt in simple cooldowns on itself alone, not counting the others. Play without the tactical and it becomes completely irrelevant but with it, its a complete 180º turn and it becomes a powerhouse. Its just that much of a game changer.

And before you say "but Lethality has absurd AOE damage". No, its not 'broken'. You can literally stop a Leth/Ruffian's burst just by knockbacking / hardstunning after AOE is applied or, the easiest bit, walking out of the damned AOE and the DPS is gone. Its just that simple.

AP PT: Well, with Powerlode, that becomes a non-stop train that's capable of destroying anyone with constant Energy burst spam, as long as they get attacked with dots but even then. Its not as overpowered as the other two, since it doesn't give that much of a survivability but still it can bet troublesome ( for healers ) .

Immortal Juggernaut : With the new Grit teeth, lets say that they have become a much more reliable tank than the others. Its absurdly hard to die while playing it unless major screw up happens (looking at those that don't use ED) but the bickery is more on the bit down below.

Force Bound set: Everyone who went up against it knows too well why its absurdly strong and no words are needed but if not, its simple. 70% accuracy debuff on the CC. Sounds like its not a big deal but it is basically kills the dps on the other team effectively and its specially annoying in a heal or heal + tank match.

2 ) Underpowered : Annihilation Mara and Carnage Mara, Madness Sorcerer and Rage Juggernaut.

I won't go individually but its just that the specs have been ruined over the time so badly that not even a tactical can save these. Well, perhaps Grit Teeth for Rage Juggernaut but even then, if it does not do meaningful damage like Vengeance can, whats the worry?

Edited by memerobot

I've been playing for nearly two months and one thing I've learned about this game is that what other people say is good or bad or over/under powered is completely subject to opinion and is often wrong in practice. There are very few people who play all the classes regularly and even less who play all the different specs regularly so a lot of opinions are based off what people have read or seen others do which isn't the same as actually having played themselves.

For example when building one of my classes I found a setup that I thought was interesting and on building it for science I find to be very very effective. But to look for info about it on the forums or google you'll only find negative criticism about it (and mainly by people who've read the skills/set bonuses/tactical/etc but not actually used themselves).

There's also a lot to be said for how someone plays a particular build. Despite there being guides to tell people how to play I have found that these also are subject to opinion. I personally don't value guides or the opinions of others when it comes to SWTOR because in practice what's worked very well is using those guides and opinions as a sort of baseline to learn how a class works but then figuring out what feels effective for me. I then also revisit re-learning as I will usually find some other little feature that'll change how I play a bit.

I've only got two DPS classes so far and I use one primarily for single target DPS and one for AoE so they're not comparable, I've only one healer class too and so can't comment there. I have a shadow tank and a guardian tank (currently building a powertech tank too) but in regards to the jedi tanks they're both very effective but both for very different reasons. Guardian/Juggernaut is more tough and can take a lot more punishment but Shadow/Assassin has better mobility and AoE. What I've seen from Powertech so far is that it's tougher in a passive way and has a lot more AoE than either of the other classes but isn't as great when it comes to defensive cooldowns. But then again I have a friend who says that his Shadow tank is tankier than his guardian tanks as he "knows how to play it" but I just can't get my shadow tank to be as tough as my guardian whatever I do.

Didn't expect to write this much lol.

Edited by NayaruLovegood

Sry you have no idea...

Are you new in the game? Espeacially the caps in "classic content" makes the class balancing worst.

But sorc is OP overall.. Take a look at the pvp ranking and wich noobs are on the first places. You can play a Maro perfectly in pvp - you will earns less medals as a PT, a Sorc, a Jugg.. - less than EVERY class.

There are no differnences on count damage if it´s AOE or single target in pvp rankings and not in Star Parse. They see your DPS and they hate you therefore - no matter if the Boss dropt down by your singletarget DPS or not. The Sorcs and PTs are the Stars - you (me) suck at all. The people are too stupid to see the differences and I hate the game now.

The Maro must be the Star again:

- bigger AOE circles

- every AOE is a DOT Spread - espcially Dual Saber Throw

- more Single target DPS: Bring back DOT Skill initial Damage and the Tactzical to refresh it

- 30% damage reflect at sword reflect def

This would be REAL BALANCING :rak_04:

Sry you have no idea...

Are you new in the game?

:

Probably. She asked "The most overpowered / under powered class?"

Obviously she isn't as knowledgeable as you. I think she just wants to play w/o getting her group killed, or a great character that won't die every second in PvP.. So... she asks guys who seem crazy good like you for help "(not sarcastic... really not sarcastic.)"

Maybe use normal/ noob jargon to help her. Drop a sentence why these classes are good in these op's or wz? Or If you are ticked off after a match or something, maybe don't reply.

Keep in mind that capped content damage scaling is currently broken so white damage scales worse than yellow damage. That's why Lightning Sorcs are top ranged dps in capped because they are yellow damage..that's not a "Sorc OP" issue but a "yellow damage OP in capped" issue (or white damage UP - whichever way you want).

Outside of that scaling issue I'd say dps classes are pretty well balanced overall, PT is somewhat OP and some individual specs underperform (Carnage, Arsenal) but overall balancing is good in 75 content.

Merc healer is pretty OP and will still be somewhat OP imho after the coming nerfs, Op is decent all around, Sorc is decent except for healing burn phases like Dread council or Master/Blaster where you really notice how weak Revivification is compared to Kolto Waves/Kolto Missile from Op/Merc

Tank balancing was improved since Jug/Pt tanks are much closer to Sin than they were in 5.x

Biggest balancing issue is imho weapon damage vs force/tech damage scaling in 70 content. Fix that and the balancing is better than it has been in a long time

Edited by AUTChris

• 2 weeks later...
Keep in mind that capped content damage scaling is currently broken so white damage scales worse than yellow damage. That's why Lightning Sorcs are top ranged dps in capped because they are yellow damage..that's not a "Sorc OP" issue but a "yellow damage OP in capped" issue (or white damage UP - whichever way you want).

Outside of that scaling issue I'd say dps classes are pretty well balanced overall, PT is somewhat OP and some individual specs underperform (Carnage, Arsenal) but overall balancing is good in 75 content.

Merc healer is pretty OP and will still be somewhat OP imho after the coming nerfs, Op is decent all around, Sorc is decent except for healing burn phases like Dread council or Master/Blaster where you really notice how weak Revivification is compared to Kolto Waves/Kolto Missile from Op/Merc

Tank balancing was improved since Jug/Pt tanks are much closer to Sin than they were in 5.x

Biggest balancing issue is imho weapon damage vs force/tech damage scaling in 70 content. Fix that and the balancing is better than it has been in a long time

I have noticed this issue with my deception sin. Weapon crits are very close to force/internal crits on scaled where on 75 they are quite far apart. i parse well with deception reaching 23k and never below 22, but on scaled i parse much much higher with lightning, even tho i cant use max apm due to fps drops. this scaling issue is frustrating, and i dont even wanna talk about pyro and fluffed numbers on it

I have noticed this issue with my deception sin. Weapon crits are very close to force/internal crits on scaled where on 75 they are quite far apart. i parse well with deception reaching 23k and never below 22, but on scaled i parse much much higher with lightning, even tho i cant use max apm due to fps drops. this scaling issue is frustrating, and i dont even wanna talk about pyro and fluffed numbers on it

I'm not sure but it seems that this is translating to frustrating changes in tanking too, even if the scaling problem isn't applicable to threat numbers, the white damage tanks used to be comfortable using as often as they were is still going to be a factor. I used to not have much of a problem keeping threat as long as I used my abilities right, but even with guard and shield tech pt i'm finding those pure yellow dps specs like sorc and PT are constantly at risk of pulling off of me now.

I really hope this scaling issue gets fixed soon.

Edited by MagicTerror

Funny how most of this thread assumed PvP setting.

Anyway, lightning sorc, conc operative, pyro pt (pve), fury, to less extent anni (pve only) mara [also lol'd at the survivability thing, especially if we're talking PvE] are in a good place.

Carnage/mm are... In a really bad spot. Everyone else kinda falls in between; lethality operatives are historically unpopular, IO seems to be underperforming hard with no real reason to take it over Arsenal (save for relevant for PvE only chaff flare cheese). Oh and yes, with the new reflect mercs seem to be rather strong even in pvp.

Healer/tank-wise... Sins feel squishier than before, sorcs also seem to be underperforming in pve compared to mercs/operatives (very few people can play operative healers well though so here's that).