Stuck on Rakton's Elite Guard

mdazfrench

I'm currently unable to finish this quest due to the fact that I'm a tanking Vanguard and simply don't have the burst damage to down two bloody strong mobs that constantly heal each other and both have a twenty foot knockback. As well, given that they both have armor reducing debuffs I can't shield my way through the damage and whittle them down. Even with at level crafted gear (currently lvl 49) for both myself and my healer it's NOT HAPPENING.

I'm angry. I'm frustrated and more than a bit fed up. I put up with the bugs on the Justice having me be unable to complete the quest without glitching it out. I even put up with falling through the floor on the Gauntlet. But this is a VERY obviously broken fight (especially since it's obvious even the lighting hasn't been fixed in the final area (standard green streams of random light and tearing).

BioWare, I love ya and I'll take whatever advice people who post here will give but asking a Vanguard tank to do this fight is just about the same as sending Shepherd after a Reaper . . with a butter knife.

Well..............

The way I did it was hit them and ran like the coward all vanguards are to the friendly mobs up at the intersection and had them kill them. (this was after several unsucsesful atempts at killing them) Because we as vanguards don't have any real high burst dps moves. But more importantly no cc to speak of so we can stop them from healing each other.

Pretty sad way to finish the quest I know but that was the only way I could think of to do it.

Hey yea I had a bit of trouble with that fight as Assault. I think you may want to use a DPS companion for that fight and burn all your CD's. Also try to cyro the one your not fighting and riot strike the other when they try and heal. Use no retreat for another cyro and neural surge aswell. Should do the trick.

I feel your pain took me 5 failed attempts to stop and think of a decent stat, i suggest leveling to 50 as you get a crit chance dps cd which is nice if ur shield spec. (stockstrike ftw)

I found strat wise it was best to agro a single guard first and drag him around the pillar losing the two targets and making dorne take agro from the other. Then when dorne was at say 40% id taunt. Id constantly kitie around the pillar preventing them from healing each other often letting dorne take agro of the guard i wasnt focusing.

use your small cd interrupt to prevent the focused target from healing whilst using cryo harpoon combo (Harpoon to interrupt the first heal then cryo the next at which point u kite your focused) to shut down the other. Dorne also helps with the interrupts. When the main target gets to say 30% pop dps cds cryo the other then if your shield spec storm to it after the cyro is down to interupt the heal, then harpoon the other to you use your 20min cd heal to refresh cryo, cyro non focus and after that they main should be dead or close too. Once thats done you,ve won.

The other guard goes down easily without his mate and rak himself is a joke

With non shield specs it tweak the strat to be less about controlling the other guard as you would have more dps.

Sounds like a nightmare but it really just involves cycling your interrupts carefuly.

ONLY use your interrupts for the heal you wont be able to interrupt them all but you will able to interrupt enough to stop them out healing your dps.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently did this battle on my 50 Vanguard, and it was definitely a bit tricky. I had Elara with me. Even tank specc'd, I was taking quite a fair amount of damage.

Some good advice is to ALWAYS interrupt your primary target's heal, and use AoE to hit them both (that way, one of them isn't getting both heals.) The Vanguard has decent AoE, so just spam Pulse Cannon and Sticky Grenade when you can. And remember to use your cooldowns. Heroic Moment, Cryo Grenades, Reactive Shield, Adrenaline Rush, Smoke Grenades, Battle Focus, etc. The fight takes awhile but as a vanguard, you just have to outlast them. In no way was it an easy fight, but it certainly is doable. Once you can kill one of them, you got this in the bag.

Edited by Ganjiang

The fight really is not that hard, I don't understand why so many people have problems with it.

Really all you need is 1 thing: to interrupt your primary target EVERY time he attempts to cast a heal. Which, given the number of interrupts available to you is entirely possible. If you can do that, even as a Shield spec, you can definitely DPS through the healing of one guy.

How do you interrupt every single cast? Use more than just Riot Strike and stuns. Remember that Storm is an interrupt with only a 15s cooldown. Harpoon is also an interrupt. You just have to run more than 10 yards out of range to use them which isn't far given how slow the casts are.

Between Riot Strike, Storm, Harpoon, Neural Surge, and Cryo Grenade you should be able to keep 1 of the casters completely locked out of casting.

Then open on the first target you face with all of your offensive cooldowns (including Recharge Cells and Reserve Powercell).

Once the first guy is down the fight is a cakewalk.

I just did this last night and I found it difficult, but not impossible.

1. - Tried this with Jorgen and got pwned pretty quickly.

2.- Switched to Dorne and still got killed, but did a little better.

3. - Stuck with Dorne and focused on interupting wherever I could (as described in previous posts, but I also put my back to the structure in the center on the room that is close to the mobs. This managed the knockback component so that I was never pushed out of melee range.

For the final boss fight of a very long storyline I thought that this was a pretty appropriate level battle.

I did this at lvl 49 with some decent gear (blue level 49 crafted tank gear).

This fight almost made me /ragequit after several failed attempts.

Then it occurred to me to start off by just harpooning one of the two and dragging him out of range of other's healing & knockbacks.

Fight became much, much, MUCH easier.

Yeah when I did that as Commando I just happily CCed one, thought hah! this will be easy! But even with that, it still took a long time to burn one down, heal to full health/ammo and kill the second. First thing I thought was how the hell is my Vanguard friend going to do this.

Well, I did this at sub-50, and I didn't really have any issues with it. I just zerged down the first add while CCing the other add. Then it was just a matter of killing the second add and finally Rakton. I don't remember which companion I used, but it was a dps one. Like I said, just zerged down one add while CCing the other, and interrupting everything.

I did this at 49 like most other people, and I have to admit to a certain amount of arrogance going into the fight. First round TKO, oh well. Got back up and now that i had a good idea of the situation, I found that dps'ing both was the best way to win. I'm an assault vangaurd, and found it best to start out popping my power relic, then using mortar volley, and then tossing the stickey grenade in. Both mobs were at 70% at this point. As they started to heal, I would interrupt in whatever manner I had available. Harpoon one, cryo the other, and then riot strike the one i harpooned. I put my incindiary round on them both and kept using all my aoe's and kiting around that middle pillar. If you damage them both, they only heal themselves, typical imps, then just keep ur dots up and using sticky and mortar volley. There is a HUGE amount of burst in assault, I highly suggest speccing assault for that fight.

• 6 years later...
This discussion is more than six years old.Anyway, it was helpful for me. But things must have changed since 2012. I think I tried every possible device for three days, nothing could stop or stun the casters so that they no longer delivered healing to Raktons elite guards ! It meant defeat for my trooper a hundred times, I think. The "coward" alternative (see GolgoXIII above) was the solution for me.

This discussion is more than six years old.Anyway, it was helpful for me. But things must have changed since 2012. I think I tried every possible device for three days, nothing could stop or stun the casters so that they no longer delivered healing to Raktons elite guards ! It meant defeat for my trooper a hundred times, I think. The "coward" alternative (see GolgoXIII above) was the solution for me.

Things changed indeed. If you are having issues with classic story these days... Something is really wrong with how you play.

Things changed indeed. If you are having issues with classic story these days... Something is really wrong with how you play.

Can you explain ? I play "classic" because I wanted to learn the game from the beginning. Someone also gave that advice. Maybe you have a better advice.

Can you explain ? I play "classic" because I wanted to learn the game from the beginning. Someone also gave that advice. Maybe you have a better advice.

Since 2012, the game has suffered a series of changes that have "dumbed it down", which is shorthand for "made it easier to play".

If we're talking Rakton, that's a trooper on Corellia, and you *should* be level 50+ with a companion easily at influence rank 15 or even higher. Under those circumstances, the fight should be straightforward.

Advice:

* Make sure your gear is up to scratch. Not necessarily the best in the game, but rated high enough to be wearable by a level 48+ character.

* Make sure you actually *are* level 50+. The fights at this point in the story are meant to be done by a level 50 character. If you are below level 44, you won't even be able to scratch their armour. If you aren't up to scratch on levels, go back and do some heroic missions on e.g. Coruscant and Ord Mantell until you are.

* Crank your companion's Influence rank a bit.