Roleplaying "on the road"

Luca

...As opposed to roleplaying in "fixed locales" :)

---

Roleplaying in one single (or more) area, be it a cantina or an external square is fine: anything that manages to create some sort of gathering where fun stuff happens (beside the usual mob bashing/grind) is more than welcomed.

Still it would be nice to try roleplaying as you go on your errands, in a random street on Coruscant or any other planet of your choice.

Otherwise, the rest of the world is silent, where you see players running from quest giver to quest giver and that's it, anything else is unused, becomes devoid of life.

Yes, of course it happens, it's the linear nature of DIKUs, but what I'm saying is that it would be great to create events that involve traveling on foot to various locations (pilgrimages and others) and something akin to that.

Limiting roleplaying actitivities to a couple big single areas make roleplaying itself an "artificial" and detached activity, while instead, from my personal point of view, it should strive to enhance the feeling of being part of a "world" (where stuff happens "naturally" as you go).

This is how I usually roleplay anyway with a group of people, if the situation allows it (ie not too absurd to be in) then we roleplay our involvement there not wait to get back some place cosy to talk.

Solo rping is another thing to do, just to immerse yourself in the setting and this will probably fit better with the cut scenes, except when your char would want to kill the one they're talking to but can't.

I wanted to do this so badly.

I hate static cantina role play. The problem is not a single one of my friends wants to do on the road style RP. Oh sure, they spent weeks developing background character ideas and ways they could "run into" each other. They all agreed to do it, go slow, enjoy the content.

Then the level monster reared its ugly head. My friends got so excited about their early game access that they rushed through the entire first planet in a huge hurry. They skipped side quests, completely ignored or talked over the cut scene dialog in the game during Ventrilo, and then were constantly talking over each other in great excited hurry-hurry-hurry leveling up talk about how they were excited to get to the flash point, excited to get their ship, excited to level up their crafting. They left me completely behind them.

I don't understand why everyone is in such a rush. They're all going to be screaming how bored and lonely they are at level 50 with nothing to do while standing around a cantina demanding insta-rp storyline with no character development or in game experiences to rp about. I simply don't get the rush. I wish I'd never tried to do anything in early game access, I wish I was smarter and never even bothered trying to rp in this game until it was a year out already and people would calm down and learn to enjoy it instead of rushing through it. I wish I could go back and take back the entire first day on my character, and re-do it all at my own pace, with REAL RPers, not power gamers.

Hehe, believe me, I know what you mean and how you are feeling.

The problem is not so much with your friend, but with the nature of DIKU (or "theme park") MMOs. They're structured so that you get slowly addicted to the "leveling monster", you feel the need to get the next quest from the NPC, get the next piece of gear and so on and so forth.

Automatically, this kind of playing style, while perfectly legit, gets in the way of any other diverse and "trivial" activity. While inside the "leveling wheel" you consider everything else as a distraction.

Plus, take into account the small size of the initial zones in TOR: the "tunnel" style certainly doesn't encourage exploration or traveling by foot etc. So you delay your roleplaying experience, waiting to happen in the bigger worlds, like Hoth, Tatooine or Ilum (never went there, I just read that zones there are indeed a lot bigger).

Obviously this would be different if it was a sandbox MMO, but hey, hopefully the community here will be willing enough to try roleplaying all over the place and not only at level 50.

I wholeheartedly agree, here. As important as static locations can be to ensuring there's always somewhere you can go for rp, rping on the fly is even more so. Back in CoH on Virtue, pick up teams almost always had at least one person rping. That one person could often turn the team into one big rp group, even while running missions. It even got non rpers to join in. I'd like to see that happen in TOR for sure.

I'm a weirdo. I RP while doing...everything. My character swears when mobs spawn and start shooting her; if people are standing around and I need a quest objective she'll make a comment about how she's got a bone to pick with that guy and his gun, that sort of thing. It takes very very little time and I think it makes the entire experience more immersive despite possibly making me look like a nutjob for actually 'interacting' with NPCs.

I'm a weirdo. I RP while doing...everything. My character swears when mobs spawn and start shooting her; if people are standing around and I need a quest objective she'll make a comment about how she's got a bone to pick with that guy and his gun, that sort of thing. It takes very very little time and I think it makes the entire experience more immersive despite possibly making me look like a nutjob for actually 'interacting' with NPCs.

I do this as well..;).

People play the game as well; that is your problem.

Not everyone in game feels the desire to RP, and some characters it makes no sense for them to RP. If you want to RP a Sith Lord as part of your RP, but you just started okaying, then why would you be having a casual chat with someone who you just bumped into?

It is surprising to me how many people expect RP to be on tap simply because they rolled on an RP server.... that's not how it works. The person you want to RP with still needs to be in the mood/in RP mode/it make sense before they begin to interact.

The people who have a character how freely interacts with everyone on the road has either written their character thus or are going well beyond the realms of what is believable for that character.

People play the game as well; that is your problem.

Not everyone in game feels the desire to RP, and some characters it makes no sense for them to RP. If you want to RP a Sith Lord as part of your RP, but you just started okaying, then why would you be having a casual chat with someone who you just bumped into?

It is surprising to me how many people expect RP to be on tap simply because they rolled on an RP server.... that's not how it works. The person you want to RP with still needs to be in the mood/in RP mode/it make sense before they begin to interact.

The people who have a character how freely interacts with everyone on the road has either written their character thus or are going well beyond the realms of what is believable for that character.

And this is why it would be nice to have RP flags. I'm an avid RPer. I will happily RP wherever I find it. Sometimes it's a brief howdy-do in line at a vendor. Other times it can develop into a long-term friendship.

No need to get upset with people because they assume that since you're on an RP server that you are an RPer. If you are not, just be polite and say thanks, but no thanks. And if you're turned down, don't take it personally, just move on.

Really, it's not hard to show a bit of courtesy and understanding to both sides.

But I really would like RP flags.

Id like RP flags as well.

What I did was leave Coruscant and wander around by the Chamber of Speech on Tython and helped people get through it.

I shot out RP and people either went along with it, or they just said to help them get through so they can level up. I helped either way but I have gotten a few RP experiences for taking the time out of my busy schedule to help a padawan along.

If I didnt want to stay at the Chamber of Speech then I potentially coul have done some RP on the road.

Thing is, in the Sith Lord story you mention, is that even before he was a Sith Lord, he was once someone in training. And also Sith Lords can RP 'on the road'

Heck, in your case, if someone talked to me while I ran by, I'd just give them a snarl or some other clear sign of NOT wanting to talk to them ICly. This is as much RP as anything else. And at least a lot more than just running by like you are not on an RP server at all.

Personally, I made my character have a background which I knew fits with the start of the story. That way, what my character does in game can be what my character does in his own story. Background wise, I can pick and choose what he actually did and what he actually didn't afterwards. But until then, I do everything he does in the game world ICly and let him define his personal story from the quests he does.

This has been my RP style for many MMOs and also the preferred way I play. And luckilly, my girlfriend agrees with me and we are levelling our mains together this way.

So to anyone on The Progenitor: If you ever see Devlo'nir and Hananya walking by, come and join us. We don't mind!