Dissapointing Jedi Exile KOTOR2 Death (Stupid Spoilers))

Makavelieazy

You are right.

and, in "Revan" the main character is Scourge. Surik, that i loved, is a poor figure.

Why did Revan attack alone the Emperor?

But Surik almost killed the Emperor with her lightsaber thrown.

The novel could be better

I am really still skeptical that the Emperor would have died from a mere lightsaber...but then thats just my thoughts, since hes suppose to be all powerful compared to pretty much everyone of the time.

The problem with the Exile's death is that her unique nature would have made her ridiculously hard to sense in some ways.

I haven't read the book in question, but from what I do know of it, the Exile was substancially more powerful than the book indicated.

• 3 months later...
I personally think that the surprising death of Surik actually made the book more interesting, Drew Karpshyn knows what he is doing, don't get angry at him for it, I mean look at Shakespeare he actually had written a play and all he said was "he dies" not something fancy just "he dies" and I think Surik getting stabbed in the back (litterally) was alot more epic than it saying "The Exile dies".

If he does come back, I would like to see him help us out in the final battle with the Emperor. Maybe he can sacrifice himself to stop the Emperor. Of course they would have to make sure they don't put him in the starring role. This is, after all, a game about our characters. I guess we will see.

I agree if they ever made him back, i would prefer for his story and end be linked to the emperor demise.

Along the lines of interlinked fates even. With scourge probably having some role in this.

I haven't read the book in question, but from what I do know of it, the Exile was substancially more powerful than the book indicated.
To be honest i think she didnt had a chance of showing her power that much, being stab in the back by her aly. However even if she had the chance i think her fate would be the same. Edited by Spartanik

5.So the Jedi Order was supposed to be VERY dead at this point, the entire Order had disbanded, yet after the Dark Wars, the Exile goes to Coruscant and the Jedi Temple is FILLED with them, despite the fact Kreia says the exact opposite is true, along with about every other NPC in the game.

This is something that bothered me reading it even though I'm not too familiar with SW lore. Wasn't KOTOR 2 all about finding the last surviving Jedi masters with the aim of rebuilding the order? I can't remember how long after KOTOR 2 the book was set, but I was very confused about where all the new Jedi sprung from. And how they rebuilt the archives so quickly. Plus Bastila becoming a completely different character, going from a sassy know it all to stay at home mum. Am I missing something obvious or was it just poor writing?

EDIT:

look at Shakespeare he actually had written a play and all he said was "he dies" not something fancy just "he dies" and I think Surik getting stabbed in the back (litterally) was alot more epic than it saying "The Exile dies".

The difference is Shakespeare was writing a play. "He dies" is a stage direction, the audience never reads or hears it. There was no point in Shakespeare penning a dramatic, long winded description of the death, it's the job of the director and the actor playing King Lear to portray the death to the audience.

Edited by TheSelkie

I hate how some stupid author gave The Jedi Exile (from KOTOR2) was killed by the emperor and kept Revan enslaved. I understand how some characters must die and not all character endings are not suppose to be happy like Mace Windu in EP 3, but to be back stabbed by Scourge and not given a chance to show the Emperor some the power of being dead to the force and some dark teachings of Darth Traya. Also She schooled the corruptions of the force, like Darth Nihlius, Atris, Darth Sion. Yes, I'm a huge fan of KOTOR2 and even more since i played it with the Restoration Mod.

i couldn't agree more. Jedi exile and revan were absolute bad asses and they were cast aside easier than the nihilis fight in kotor 2.

ending fight in the revan novel shoulda been much more epic

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised or disappointed by this. Bioware in general and Drew in particular have always been about the deceptively humble beginning followed by ascendancy to the most ******ed individual ever to exist. Been doing it since Baldur's Gate. Certainly did it with Revan.

Far more interesting characters like the Exile confuse them and him, I think. They/he don't know what to do with characters that don't fit neatly into their "crazy awesome power" paradigm.

Add to that the fact that Bioware has always been about letting you take one of their characters for a brief spin (with some cosmetic customization) rather than letting you create your own and you can start to see how they wouldn't even consider the Exile all that important.

Edited by Cavell

• 6 months later...
I be honest Drew so not be writing the book in first place if he had no Idea about the Exile at all and did some research on her first or least give her better death the one she got. I had not read the book but just by this tread and other I read I don't think I be getting the book at all. Also Most people say Scourge was more of the main character so than Revan. Why is the Book Called "Revan" instead Book should be called "Scourge". That my I think of it.

Mr. Karpyshyn is not the only author to (supposedly) mistreat a character that his not his own creation. Remember how poorly Mr. Miller depicted Malak in his comics? In addition, remember that Ms. Traviss killed off Mara in one of her novels?

Mr. Karpyshyn have actually done some back ground check on character of Meetra; the author acknowledged her as a powerful Jedi and also her accomplishments. The author respected her talents and this is why he depicted Meetra being able to cope well with the dark side environment of Dromund Kaas even though she didn't possessed Revan like affinity with the Force. In contrast, many notable characters (from future storylines) haven't been able to cope well with the dark side environment of Dromund Kaas, and this list includes Yoda, Ben and Luke. The author also depicted Meetra being able to survive in the extremely hostile environment of Nathema for a noticeable amount of time which is very impressive. During the battles, the author indirectly confirmed Meetra as a highly skilled duelist. In fact, Meetra is the only individual who came close to striking down the Sith Emperor (even though this was circumstantial event but still the author respected Meetra enough to grant her this kind of opportunity).

In fact, Mr. Karpyshyn didn't do justice with his own creation in his novel; he did an extremely poor job at exploring Revan.

I am not sure if Mr. Karpyshyn was pressured by the higher-ups to not explore Revan in great detail but this revelation irks me:

You do know Chee got on his behind about that? involving Revan in the Darth Bane story, he was not happy at all, but because of the trilogy's success he let it slide.

What the hell was Mr. Chee thinking? He may have backed off due to fear of potential backlash or eventually realized his mistake.

---

Besides, even Sidious's demise is very anti-climatic.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Mr. Karpyshyn have actually done some back ground check on character of Meetra;

He openly said he wish he'd done more research, and then said he didn't consult anyone at Obsidian, or her chief writers about her, and didn't Play KOTOR 2 enough to truly understand the character in a way you don't get from sourcebooks.

He openly said he wish he'd done more research, and then said he didn't consult anyone at Obsidian, or her chief writers about her, and didn't Play KOTOR 2 enough to truly understand the character in a way you don't get from sourcebooks.

On the basis of what Karpyshyn wrote in the novel, it seems that he didn't start as a blank slate on her either. The author got most things about her right somehow.

Also, such level of neglect is very common among the authors of Star Wars mythos, specially when they write about characters that are not their own creations. Only Luke have been put on pedestal as per my knowledge but some authors have still depicted Luke as a man with limits or refused to hype him.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

• 9 months later...
I think what it boils down to was a need to take player characters out of the picture. Haven't read the book so I'm just going on what happens in the game. While I would have preferred something different, both the exile and Revan ended up doing something incredibly heroic. Revan kept the emperor from invading the republic for centuries at the cost of his sanity and the exile made it possible for him to do so. Neither would have been able to do what they did if what happened to them didn't. Would I have written that plot? No, probably not, but their sacrifice was meaningful and not as unheroic as it might seem at first glance. Edited by errant_knight