EMPIRE or REPUBLIC

jnrose

Republic.

The Sith Empire tries to pass itself off as a meritocracy. It's not. It is a statist dictatorship. The only true way to wield power in the Empire is to be a Sith; to be force sensitive. Thus, one is not purely measured on their ability, their skill, their education, but on a factor of their birth. Within the military, advancement is as often a factor of ability as it is riding the coattails of someone more powerful than you, i.e., a Sith. There are some facets of meritocratic advancement, that is true, but those in power wield that power as a dictator. The whole purpose if the meritocratic advancement within the Sith is to make the best dictator.

With regard to the Republic, "No-one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time," Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 11 November 1947. The Republic is far from perfect. It is flawed, it is messy, it has bad leaders, Garza, and leaders who abuse power, Saresh. It makes mistakes. But the bad actors are few and unlike in the Empire their actions are rarely condoned.

In a democracy the Government is answerable to the people. In a dictatorship the people answer to the leaders. In the Sith Empire the people answer to the Sith.

I'll align with the Sith Empire. My character was born a Sith, went through slavery and became a Sith again. He sees the Empire as not merely a meritocracy but a form of order, a way to enforce order on a chaotic galaxy. He'll ally with the Empire not because of Acina but because even after building the Eternal Alliance he still sees the Imperials as his own people, so he will try to protect them and if allying with Acina is the way to do it then he'll do it. Heck if the game had given us the option I'd have blasted Acina off the throne already and annexed the Empire, but now my Fleet is in ruins so allying it is.

after being called "the Empire's lap dog" -- my BH is insulted --- I will stay republic ..

after being betrayed by the Empire ( and NO I haven't forgotten or forgiven .. I trusted them; they lied to me and used me -- as a Chiss, this is unforgivable ... ) my Agent will stay Republic ...

my smuggler is a business woman -- business is better in the Republic ... and she loves stealing from Imperial ships anyway .. they get so bent out of shape over it ...

my Jedi wants to come home, back to the Republic ( I had hopes for making a change in the Empire, but I see that is never going to happen)

-- she remembers what her Master told her -- "remember WHY you became a Jedi "

90% Republic.

I have 1 or 2 that will I have taken through the expansions that will return to the empire. My Chiss agent has no love for the Empire after the stunt they pulled with her. My Chiss bounty hunter hasn't gone through the expansion but the way they treated my Chiss agent has me leaning toward even her going to the Republic.

Side Note: I would have like it if you did switch sides then you would actually be in the Republic or Empire, not just in the story, but I know that would be very difficult coding wise so I understand why we can't but I would have prefer to stay a separate faction-Alliance.

Edited by casirabit

My sith warrior and assassin will return to the empire. Agent was hosed by the Empire, so to the republic ge goes. Smuggler, does better business with the republic.

BH, well got called a lap dog and well he hated most of the dark council and is sick and tired of Mandos fighting their losing wars.

Trooper well he's captain republic so.

• 3 weeks later...

After the stream it is said we will not really being leaving our factions, like some of us wanted, but we do have the option of playing saboteur to our old factions if we want or you can remain loyal.

I have at least 1-2 (right now) that will definitely be a saboteur to the empire p.

Love playing Light Side Imperial Aliens who defect to the Republic.

Wait, back up: I prefer the Republic as a faction bc I don't support space fascists, but I find the Imperial vanilla stories better written than most Republic stories. I like playing LS Alien Sith Inquisitors, Agents, and Bounty Hunters who don't care much for the Empire but tolerate it for health reasons, who defect or help the Republic every chance they get.

a lot more complicated than it appears as i have a dozen characters looking to decide their choice.

my main LS SW is going to the republic. He wants to make a statement to the Sith that he is willing to be very bold and seek strength within himself by siding with the Republic, not to mention the accolade of being a traitor and seeking new challenges. But he never wants to loose his identity as a Sith.

My DS JK wants to go to the Empire. He sees himself as emperor material and because he is already very depraved as a force user, he'd fit in just fine within the Sith.

My DS IA joined the republic only so he can eliminate force users like the Empress Acina, and when he is done he wants to switch back and eliminate more force users on the other side. He remains Imperial as he can not change this, but he utterly hates force users with a passion.

My LS SI wants to remain in the empire. She seeks opportunity to change the empire from within, but being frequently underestimated breeds a perfect opportunity for the rot of the light side to grow in.

So it isn't a simple choice of one over the other.

Pinky, my Bounty Hunter/Emperor goes Pub. I can see Malcolm and him becoming drinking buddies.

V'enn, my Sorceress/Empress sticks with the Empire. Her and Acina are going to take over the galaxy. It's just a matter of who gets what half!

Former Cyper 9, Agent Cyn-ta remains loyal to the Empire. It's time to change things from the inside out,

Avens Senri, my Consular.......... Stilll up in the air.......... :D

Edited by Venn_Dras

My Jedi Guardian still believes in the Republic and it's ideals. He knows it isn't perfect but it still strives for peace, freedom, justice and equality for all. He intends to return to help it's weak and feeble citizens.

My Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer, Operative and Mercenary disagree.

Edited by Simbr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Simple: I side with the faction that is the most reformable, i.e. the Empire. The Republic, tied to the Jedi, won't change. They're too tied down to the Jedi's ways and rules and customs. The Sith, on the other hand, are much more open to differences and can be influenced accordingly.

Can I choose neither?

Just went through Iokath with the character that never did it yet.

"So, hey. Why are you guys trespassing on my superweapon planet?"

"Our Republic collapsed, our planets in ruins, our citizens are suffering and therefore there is no thing more important than CRUSHING THE CRAP OUT OF HATED EMPIRE!!!!!1! :mad::mad::mad:" (vice versa for siding with pubs)

"...are you sure? Don't you want, you know, rebuild at first? And your economy is in shambles, maybe pick it up a bit before throwing all resources into weaponry, no?"

"NO! EMPIRE MUST BE CRUSHED!!!:mad:"

Sigh. And now I will be forced to choose between these two imbecile factions instead of torching them to hell and seeing if something's less stupid can rise from the ashes.