Regarding the Nerfing of the bughunt... making the most of it.

red_onion

So, obviously a continuation of the other thread in which the nerfing is admitted to by the development team... what can we still do to make the best of a bad situation if we want to level some toons this week?

One observation that I had today during my over six hours of bug killing is that the eXP is all over the place. The numbers seemed rather frustrating until I hit the mid 30s where it picked up for a bit before tanking again before I hit 50 only to pick up again between 65 and 70. I sorta wish I kept a spreadsheet just to show how up and down leveling was... there was zero consistency. For almost all of my time in group, we maintained close to a full ops group of 24 so I can't say with any confidence that group size matters when I saw so much fluctuation with a near constant group size... for no reason apparent to any of us.

Some have suggested in the previous thread that smaller groups were having better results, but such observations could easily be based on shifts in group size being conflated with random changes for some not accounted for variable. So what is your experience? Can anyone confirm that smaller groups are beneficial for the entire leveling process from say level 30 to 70? Is it simply a matter of the large group xp bonus no longer existing, possibly even being a sort of debuff?

When the good numbers were coming in, it seemed independent of any one player's given level as the entire group would see a benefit; so my own observation of things picking up around 35 could very well have been random chance. It just didn't feel like the number of members in the ops group was what was shifting in that moment either as that was fairly constant throughout. Nor did it seem to matter much if there were any level 70s in the group... hard to pinpoint any cause really, which is why I'm wondering if anyone else might have noticed anything worth mentioning?

Around the time I left, the group went down to 16 on purpose with the presumption that it would work better. Did it? Any one there after I left able to weigh in on whether smaller group size was advantageous (and remained advantageous throughout)?

Also not mentioned in the other thread was the level 28 bug where xp would stop altogether until you logged out. I wander if such bugs likely tied to level-correction were additionally hurting the entire ops group, and if the random fluctuations were actually due to people coming and going from the group. Anyway, just fishing for any personal anecdotes that might prove fruitful.

Edited by red_onion

I found that Dantooine gives pretty good XP for lvling. Then if you do heroics and flash points at the intended lvls, you will also get good XP.

Lastly, lowbie and mid pvp gives really good XP and because most of the matches are 4v4 due to numbers in the queue, then you get rewarded more often.

Edit : it seems to me that the devs want you to lvl as intended and play the content instead of “cheesing” your way to max lvl by farming mobs.

Maybe this is an attempt to get people to actually play content instead of complaining there is not enough content in the end game.

The other reason might be more financial. ie, if people want to get to lvl 70 faster, they will buy the tokens on the CM.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

So, obviously a continuation of the other thread in which the nerfing is admitted to by the development team... what can we still do to make the best of a bad situation if we want to level some toons this week?

One observation that I had today during my over six hours of bug killing is that the eXP is all over the place. The numbers seemed rather frustrating until I hit the mid 30s where it picked up for a bit before tanking again before I hit 50 only to pick up again between 65 and 70. I sorta wish I kept a spreadsheet just to show how up and down leveling was... there was zero consistency. For almost all of my time in group, we maintained close to a full ops group of 24 so I can't say with any confidence that group size matters when I saw so much fluctuation with a near constant group size... for no reason apparent to any of us.

Some have suggested in the previous thread that smaller groups were having better results, but such observations could easily be based on shifts in group size being conflated with random changes for some not accounted for variable. So what is your experience? Can anyone confirm that smaller groups are beneficial for the entire leveling process from say level 30 to 70? Is it simply a matter of the large group xp bonus no longer existing, possibly even being a sort of debuff?

When the good numbers were coming in, it seemed independent of any one player's given level as the entire group would see a benefit; so my own observation of things picking up around 35 could very well have been random chance. It just didn't feel like the number of members in the ops group was what was shifting in that moment either as that was fairly constant throughout. Nor did it seem to matter much if there were any level 70s in the group... hard to pinpoint any cause really, which is why I'm wondering if anyone else might have noticed anything worth mentioning?

Around the time I left, the group went down to 16 on purpose with the presumption that it would work better. Did it? Any one there after I left able to weigh in on whether smaller group size was advantageous (and remained advantageous throughout)?

Also not mentioned in the other thread was the level 28 bug where xp would stop altogether until you logged out. I wander if such bugs likely tied to level-correction were additionally hurting the entire ops group, and if the random fluctuations were actually due to people coming and going from the group. Anyway, just fishing for any personal anecdotes that might prove fruitful.

How about you just play the game? I never new this trick to level XP was there until I started seeing threads regarding that it popped up, just level your characters, via the normal stuff, flashpoints heropics, doing the story ect, or if you really hate levelling a character so much that you have todo 2-3 hours of grinding the same targets over and over again, buy a master's datacron from the GTN, or the CM.

It was basically an exploit so they fixed it. Not a huge deal. I started a new smuggler yesterday doing gsf/lowbie pvp and flashpoints. 4 hours of play I hit level 48. Doing dantooine dailies will put me over 50 at which point I'll start makeb then forged alliances. Stupidly easy to level still. I'm more concerned about the server lag yesterday.. hoping it's better today when I log in shortly

Bug HUnt was cool when people were rushing to level chars for the new content, but if you are just doing it to have lots of 70's with nothing to do, i don't really see the point. Personally (as in what i prefer, not dissing what you prefer, what you prefer is cool too) I like levelling through the story, and other content, I found the BH or IH got boring quite fast. (Although, in saying that, if you've a good group, the craic can be mighty ;) )

A bad situation, huh?

Call it what you will, but bh wasnt nerfed...it was fixed.

Big difference.

Call it what you will but if something that benefits me is removed I call it a bad situation :)

It wasn't even giving some people unfair advantage over the others because anybody could participate.