Farming low level mats on lvl50 impossible?

Dawginole

I just came from the Jedi Temple on Curscant. I spent close to 30-40 minutes running all over the area (as well as in The Works) killing droids for laminoid and aluminum. The mats were going to be sent to an alt which is cybertech.

I have read many posts that claim this area is ripe for farming these two mats, but no luck.

So I'm curious if either you can't get mats specific to a craft to drop on a class that does not have that crafting profession, or if there is some sort of level cap where you can't get mats to drop from mobs when using an over leveled class, or did I just have incredibly bad luck?

Any help is appreciated!

Crafting materials do not drop from monsters. They are gathered from nodes or from mob corpses with a gathering skill. That would be scavenging in your case. Without scavenging you won't get any materials from your droid mass murdering. :) Edited by Ameepa

The Jedi Temple is wonderful for archaeology, but horrible for just about everything else including scavenging. If you are looking for Republic-side scavenging areas for aluminum, try the Works ... there is a lot of aluminum there, particularly at the start. And, of course, despite what the above post says you do get mats from killing "monsters", strong and elite droids in particular. Droids don't give out as much -- around 1.5 resources on average compared to about 5 for a harvest node -- and taking time to kill them slows you down, no matter your level. But, when it comes to the Works, you have to kill droids to make your time worth while.

Next level up for bronzium: Taris near the wreck of the Endar Spire is a great place. You'll also see a good amount of aluminum there along with the occasional chanlon node.

I just came from the Jedi Temple on Curscant. I spent close to 30-40 minutes running all over the area (as well as in The Works) killing droids for laminoid and aluminum. The mats were going to be sent to an alt which is cybertech.

I have read many posts that claim this area is ripe for farming these two mats, but no luck.

So I'm curious if either you can't get mats specific to a craft to drop on a class that does not have that crafting profession, or if there is some sort of level cap where you can't get mats to drop from mobs when using an over leveled class, or did I just have incredibly bad luck?

Any help is appreciated!

I had the exact same need a while back. I have a lvl 50 with scavaging and sent him out to DK (dark temple area) to gather aluminum and laminod. There was no problem and after a few circuits on my speeder, I ended up with stacks of the stuff. He has Synth as a crafting skill.

Although I do not do gathering runs often (crew missions ae easier in most cases), when I have gone out to any area that I know to be rich in mats (for scavaging, arch, and bio), I have never had a problem and have always come back with stacks in my bag. I have a few characters with three gathering skills (usually archeology, scavaging, and bio) since I have all of the crafting and mission skills on others. I have never had an issue at any time getting mats on them even though they have no crafting skill and greatly outleveled (some being 50) the area that I was in.

The only reason that I can come up with for your experience is that the area that you tried was picked clean and others were there picking off nodes as they respawned.

I see. Scavenging is actually on my alt. My 50 is artifice. So I may have to go out there and just grind out some xp while I scavenge the droid bodies for the laminoin? and aluminium.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yep, you'll get either laminoid or aluminum from the droids, not both on the same drop. Scavenging nodes will give both. Some desh/silica nodes, a few bronzium/plastoid nodes in the Works, but mainly aluminum/laminoid.

You would have to have scavenging on the toon that is doing the collecting to get the materials.

Also, check the GTN, some low level materials are pretty cheap.

I have cyber on an alt and scavenging on my main, and i, like you mail the scavenge materials to my alt. But you have to have the gathering ability to get the materials.

The sites you see that list those droids as good places to farm laminoid/aluminium are based on pre-1.2(maybe pre-1.1 even) when Strong and higher droids turned into fully functional scavenging nodes on death, yielding 1-4 of each material the same way regular nodes do. When this was the case, it was totally worth the time running around killing them all. Nowadays you will get a much higher rate of return from finding a good gathering path through actual nodes, as even at 50 the time it takes to kill the droids is barely worth the 1 or 2 mats you get. If you find the right path you can just keep gathering until you get bored as your nodes respawn at approximately the same rate that you collect them or slightly faster. Although of course anyone else running your path will throw a wrench in the works.

IIRC, droids never gave more than 2 of a metal OR a compound; never both. Certainly not after 1.1. I've been doing scavenging since EGA and never recall them giving more than that. The big problem with Coruscant for scavenging aluminum is that there are no rich areas with a high concentration of aluminum nodes so you have to take out strong/elite droids to make your time worthwhile.

The Endar Spire Crash Site east of Aurek Base on Republic Taris is fairly rich in bronzium, but often those nodes will spawn aluminum as well. I was just there farming today and I'd guess I hit about 50% bronzium, 35% aluminum, 10% chanlon and 5% desh.

Yeah, at release when you scavenged a droid, it returned exactly the same mats you would get from an actual node. They nerfed it very quickly, I just couldn't remember how quickly, but apparently it was in 1.1.

And that's odd about no good Tier 1.5 scavenging spot on Coruscant. There's only one good route on Dromund Kaas, right in front of the Dark Temple, so I assumed there must be a route somewhere on Coruscant.

If you're looking for Chanlon - try the first 2 areas on Nar Shadaa. (Nikto & red Light sector for reps) (Duros & correlian for Imps)

But seriously, if you want some fast stacks of lowbie mats.

Step I

take 3 toons with 6 high effection companions - reset their gathering or mission skill to whatever - (gets rid of grade selection)

Step II

set all comps on toon to run a misison - log to the next

Step III

"....................................................................................................."

Step IV

"...................................................................................................."

Step V

go to step II

The missions are so short for grade 1 mats that by the time you log back to the first toon, the missions are complete. For grade 2-4 mats you just do a space mission, or two as part of each cycle. This is what you do if you don't have 3 50's grinding away. When you complete the space dailies for 1 toon, just go to the next, or move on to doing planet dailies.

I run all the missions, just to keep the list refreshing without having to change zones. When you're done, you just dump the junk for whatever credits you can get. Often, I just sell it to a vender, which actually recovers the full mission cost for most items & mats. The exception being the blue augment components from slicing ~ this stuff is truely garbage.

This ends up being a fast way to farm for mats. It breaks up my space missions. The higher space missions more than pay all the mission costs. And after a few rounds of this I've got the comms for some grade 7 mat boxes from the fleet comm vender. It certainly isn't any more grindy than running all over a planet looking for mats.

It doesn't take long to regrind skills on a developed toon. Grade 6 missions unlock again at 340. 35 missions per companion will get you back to where you were. I like to do it this way, because i'm always short lowbie mats for most of my toons, regrinding my skills simplifies the mission selection pane. I don't bother reading the mission descriptions, or picking a mission level- just click and go.

Yeah, at release when you scavenged a droid, it returned exactly the same mats you would get from an actual node. They nerfed it very quickly, I just couldn't remember how quickly, but apparently it was in 1.1.

And that's odd about no good Tier 1.5 scavenging spot on Coruscant. There's only one good route on Dromund Kaas, right in front of the Dark Temple, so I assumed there must be a route somewhere on Coruscant.

Ah, yeah, I remember now. It was the same at launch. Guess they had to nerf it because scavenging nodes give a ton of mats compared to other gathering nodes. So, instead of fixing the other skills, scavenging got the nerf.