My harsh criticisms of this game and why I feel cheated

limibeans

This is just another "I'm not re-subbing" thread so if all you have to say is "Can I has your stuff?", or "TL;DR", or something non-constructive id ask you to show some restraint. It seems these threads are recurring and I think it at least shows a little merit as to why some people just cant play this game past the free month. It's very possible that "we" may return in 6 months, but for now I just cant see playing this game.

1) It's clear this game wasnt ready for release. It's clear that the "polishing" that they've been repeating in the last year of development was really just trying to get something "releasable" and not something polished and complete. What we have here is just a basic framework and isnt complete at all.

"It's only been a month." isnt an excuse. When you buy something, you expect something complete. When you invest in something, you expect something to be filled out or completed later. Instead of feeling like i've bought a game, I feel like i've become an investor into something "to be completed later". I feel like i've bought pieces to a puzzle.

2) SW:TOR's biggest selling point(s) would end up being its strength or a tremendous weakness. Because things cant easily be altered and changed from a VO/story timeline they has to "polish" those things first. What we ended up with is a chrome motor attached to a rusty frame.

-Yes, we have synchronized combat, but that's only 33% of the time anyway. The other 66% of the time its "WoW-like" and hacking and slashing randomly.

But this causes so many problems in PvP where AI is not controlling the other end like in PvE. This causes characters to be delayed or advanced when two PC's fight each other. This causes players to warp to start/stop places regardless of where the animation is playing.

Examples:

Force pushing someone who has been grappled.

Force choking someone who has force leaped.

-Story and VO got old after the first 10 levels.

The only VO and "story" I payed attention to and actually participated in past level 10 were the class quests. I really did not need full VO for random wold quests. I really ended up putting my thumb on space bar and my ring finger on "1" and pressing both as fast as possible.

Force alignment choices are almost non-existent in regular world quests which are not class quests or flashpoints. If anything, its only the final choice that makes any difference in any particular dialogue. Instead of going 50-50-100-50-50 ect. they should have made force alignment similar to companion affection.

Companion affection is fully purchasable. Even if you make a "bad choice" you can just "buy it out" lol. This leave us with 0 reason to listen to VO outside of class quests.

"We want your choices to matter" unfortunately, they dont.

3) Game looks terrible outside of a "controlled" demo or screenshots. All the "trailers" and "demos" shown pre-release work fine in game. All the stuff that wasnt shown is severely broken. That makes me feel cheated. Screenshots and "Lucas Arts approved" demos looked great.

I honestly cant go anywhere in game where I dont see something thats unusual or broken.

I mean, I can even watch the "grass grow" on planets as a walk on the surface. I have everything on max/max, including draw distance and foliage density. It's really lame to see grass growing in the distance because its obvious that max/max settings were not "polished" as those issues disappear once I turn the settings down.

"Social Gear" still has to be equipped over and over every time you zone. Been broken since day 1. Sloppy. I didnt even realize this was broken until I saw that I had less HP in PvP than the level before because of the way bolster works. If it wasnt for bolstering I would have never noticed.

NPC's getting bugged out and speed teleporting all over the place once they evade. Looks very robotic and tethered. Not to mention that a lot of things in this game are on "strings" to begin with. Ever seen the "strings" on the speeders in Alderaan? What about the green wall/lazers on every world?

UI is still channeling abilities that arnt being used. That's lol. Nothing like standing there thinking you're "channeling" but you're really just standing there doing nothing. Remember, you cant depend on looking at the numbers on your screen because those numbers happen whenever "synchronized combat" sees fit. Quick travel starts channeling even before I choose a location... lol...

Sure, a lot of these seem like "fluff" but you learn to expect certain things from a seller as a buyer. Imagine if you were buying a car and the salesperson says "paint is just fluff, dont worry, you'll get that in March." wouldnt you be disappointed?

I didnt even talk about any deeper game issues. These are just the issues on the surface. No one chooses the apple on the shelf in the blemishes or the car on the lot with keymarks.

I'll probably be back sometime in the future, but I cant possibly play this game the way it stands. It's unbearable. This is the first MMO that ive felt completely disappointed about. Sure, a lot of MMO's were "worse" at launch, but its not unrealistic to expect improvement. With all this hype leading up to this game, you cant expect people to not be disappointed.

I'll be back in 6 months.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, I don't know you and I'm not mad or crazy or anything. Why don't you just go? I don't understand why all you people write these long dramatic essays on your feeling. Sadly I know it will always be like this. 2 years from now I will read the same kind of poodoo.

Listen, I don't know you and I'm not mad or crazy or anything. Why don't you just go? I don't understand why all you people write these long dramatic essays on your feeling. Sadly I know it will always be like this. 2 years from now I will read the same kind of poodoo.

You get 20 interwebz points for working the word "poodoo" into your post, sir.

They are paid to write it and support pandas or some other game.

The more interesting question is... if it is so frustrating to you, why do you read them and then take the time to post a reply?

I can understand people wanting to vent their frustration over the game. Many waited for a very long time, with great anticipation, for release only to find a broken and poorly implemented game. People paid for this game and now no longer have an interest to play because of the issues... I can certainly understand their frustration and desire to vent a little of that frustration on the forum.

You asked the OP why doesn't he "just go"? Well, I ask you you the same question; if these types of threads bother you, just move on and allow the people who want to talk about their frustrations do so!

"It's only been a month." isnt an excuse. When you buy something, you expect something complete. When you invest in something, you expect something to be filled out or completed later. Instead of feeling like i've bought a game, I feel like i've become an investor into something "to be completed later". I feel like i've bought pieces to a puzzle.

I sympathize somewhat, but that's not how MMOs work. They're never launched in a complete state. Ever. It's impossible.

If that really bothers you, don't play MMOs at launch. You'll be disappointed every time.

I'll be back in 6 months.

Sounds like, for you, that's the right call.

You have already been replaced. 2 million subs and growing. January is EPIC for TOR.

2 million purchases doesn't = 2 million subs.

The first month is free and you have to use a CC, but you can immediately cancel it.

Technically speaking

This game has zero subs. gf

Because You don't have a CLUE yourself!! You pay $60-80 bucks for a game thats similar to an Age of Conan release.... good story, bad implimentation. So the OP is expressing his dissapointment and your impling: Why voice your dissatifaction with the game...SHAME ON YOU; your another little brain in the dooldrum of Fan boys!!

To kowtow to the majority of WoW players(immature) players EA has given us a mixture of everything that was wrong with DA2 & ME2 they are just Gravy Sucking Pigs!! Shame for this failed MMO....Travelling sucks ...Graphics suck ..... Gameplay is boring....YAWN!!

I'm playing just to try and redeem this corporate hogwash of a game till my sub has a chance of renewing then I'll quit and "maybe" revisit if its still here in 2 years, IF they fix it...now it just sucks!!

Edited by BuckRogerss

Because You don't have a CLUE yourself!! You pay $60-80 bucks for a game thats similar to Age of Conan release.... good story, bad implimentation.

To kowtow to the majority of WoW players(immature) players EA has given us a mixture of everything that was wrong with DA2 & ME2 they are just Gravy Sucking Pigs!! Shame for this failed MMO....Travelling sucks ...Graphics suck ..... Gameplay is boring....YAWN!!

I'm playing just to try and redeeming this corporate hogwash of a game till my sub renews then I'll quit and maybe come back in 2 years IF they fix it...now it just sucks!!

So the OP is expressing his dissapointment and your sayimpling Why voice your dissatifaction with the game...SHAME ON YOU; your another little brain in the dooldrum of Fan boys!!

What was wrong with Mass Effect 2? Are you for real??

As someone else has already said, why are you even posting then? What's the point of posting anything? Why do I feel like you only post this about negative things? I could say ...

Whats the point of posting positive things?

Constructive feedback.

They are paid to write it and support pandas or some other game.

Not paid at all. I have no plans to play anything else right now. I've waited for this game for a long time and I expected it to be better than what I was lead to believe. I guess I have to wait and see for D3 or GW2 to see if I want to play. I was not following those games like I was TOR.

I sympathize somewhat, but that's not how MMOs work. They're never launched in a complete state. Ever. It's impossible.

If that really bothers you, don't play MMOs at launch. You'll be disappointed every time.

Sounds like, for you, that's the right call.

What im saying is that this game is just too incomplete.

We have a basic framework, with a huge polished motor (story and VO). But I cant ignore the fact that we have headlights, but no bulbs; a gas tank, but no gas; seats, but no seat belts.

There are some things you have to deliver at launch. This game didnt do it for me. I didnt expect 100% perfection, but I feel like I only got 33% of what I was expecting.

Didnt you feel like flashpoints got super lame after BT/Esseles? I really do think every FP was intended to be like BT/Esseles, but they just ran out of time and had to "finish" it.

Best MMo i've ever played at release, been playing since UO.

Disagree with almost everything because i have a different opinion than you.

I've been playing since MUD's and games have come a long way since then. That doesnt mean every new game that comes out "only had to be better than MUD's" to be "good".

The launch itself went great, much better than games before.

The problem wasnt the launch, the problem was WHAT was launched.

Just this.

I see same thing over and over again on these forums and all other MMO's too. If you do not like the game just leave and perhaps pop back in 6-12 months.

Don't go away mad, just go away or go away mad too, not like anyone cares....

My guess is Bioware, EA, and their investors will care when their subs take a nose dive, and don't say "Oh it won't happen" or any of that junk because the same was said for every other failed MMO out there.