Truth about SWTOR's Competitive PvP and how to fix it.

Xinika

Hello all BW, EA, SWTOR fans and players,

I'm writing this post because I actually care about the game and would like to see it move toward a direction of benefit. Came to accept the fact that it cannot be perfect nor will it be the best game, but it's what works for me and you as well - which is why you're subbed and even reading this.

SWTOR was geared toward a single-player based MMO, which as itself, is unique and original in its own right. However, an MMO requires consistent player to player experience, meaning the community has a large role in the game's health and status as an entity.

While the voice acting and cinematic scenes are nothing short of a marvelous work on BW's part, it's not enough to completely satisfy the urges of the player entirely. In example, a raider raids on one day and clears Denova. What are they supposed to do for the rest of the week? PvP.

I know many PvErs that absolutely love the PvP in this game because it is potentially very fun and can be a worthwhile experience. Despite having its flaws and problems, let us be realistic. Most of the posts are over-dramatic and exaggerating in nature. The class balance is not by any means that horrible. It's not the best either, but it can very well work.

So what are the key issues?

1) Ranked is a poor way of showcasing skill and furthermore, the incentive to actually play it is little to none. While the idea is solid, the execution isn't well done. Nor will it work to high standards in a game like this due to its combat system.

A - The rewards are egotistical at best and in all honesty, replaced by better looking items.

B - Assembling 8 dedicated players to concern themselves to Ranked matches is a serious irk. Many people

have work outside this game and priorities to attend too where they cannot be bothered to having log on at

a strictly specific time just to play three to five games over the course of two hours.

B2 - Adding a further point to B, with the lack of cross server ques and population dwindling, the morale to even

face the top tier teams on one's server dampens this problem further. Which leads to less ranked matches.

A domino effect.

C - While playing for objectives may be an original idea, in ranked there's nothing skilled about it in the slightest.

Certain comps are outright cheesed (IE: Smashers, Bubble Stunners etc.) There's too much focus on CC

and numbers to get any point across. Most of it boils down to what team overwhelms the other or a stream

of point blank luck. There's nothing 'clutch' and there's nothing particularly impressive about any feat in it.

If one team loses a point, then it's 9/10 times over due to the way the system works.

There's generally no comeback.

C2 - Adding a further point to C, the people running these comps shouldn't be blamed or looked down at all. By

all means, if any advantage works to your favour, then use it. The problem is, the advantage is stupendously

great where it blocks out any form of creativity for additional group flavours.

D - Resolve is not a horrible system, but it is certainly below average. It doesn't address the problem of mass

stuns and control across an entire team. Not to mention, when it's about full - you're probably already dead.

How can we work on fixing competitive PvP?

2) Small-scale PvP similar to Arena-styled matches (2v2, 3v3, 4v4). KOTOR had an arena. Why shouldn't SWTOR?

It can be a simple, small maps with a few pillars and what not. I understand such a venture will take money, but

I believe it can be more beneficial than pushing ranked warzones. Especially considering the status of where this

game is truly at.

- The benefits of this would correspond to the correct measures of this game's lowering population.

- More players would be able to get into the 'ranked' action easier, and it allows more versatility in combinations.

- Less emphasis on overwhelming force and more skill based factor comes into play.

- Different specs (IE: Concealment Operative / Infiltration Shadow) might actually have a chance to play.

- Easier to organize.

- This doesn't replace ranked perse, but is an addition to PvP options.

3) Alternatively, you can lazily just allow solo ranked ques. However, be warned of the qq that will follow and this

won't 'fix' the problem. It will only be temporal solution to a later, bigger issue you will have to face.

4) Resolve should work more like this: Stuns need to follow a DR curve. They need to grow less effective on

every stun that is shot at toward the player. (Effective = Cut duration)

5) Add cross server ques. This should be standard in any MMO.

6) Fix the lag / bug issues. Certain abilities don't go off, or there's a massive delay on X ability that should be addressed.

7) While Open-world PvP would be a fun idea to bring back, the reality of it booming again is very slim due to player population.

In conclusion, these are just some of the things that can be changed with the game's PvP system. I'm sure there's more, and feel free to add your own take. My gripe with this game is that it has a tremendous amount of potential, but I feel as if it's not being utilized in the right way. Most of what I have brought up will lead to a net profit gain on your sales and income. Think about why the other MMO's are so successful. (IE: WoW)

BW, have you not learned your lesson? It's not gear, stuns or adding new cartel gadgets that will fix the issue.

The issue is the system itself.

Edited by Xinika

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. population is not dwindling.

2. Ilum is making a comeback.

3. ranked was not implemented properly, so that is why there is no playerbase

4. every ability can suffer from delay or doesnt fire off.

Population is not dwindling because they jumbled a bunch of servers together? How many more merges before we're all on the same one? Then what happens when people start dropping again?

How long will Ilum's comeback last for?

Look at the longrun...

Edited by Xinika

I don't think smaller teams would encourage more diverse comps at all. People would trim out more of the non FOTM classes. Why bring any healer besides an Op/Scoundrel? Burst DPS? Bring yourself some Smash specs or a Pyro/Assault PT/Vanguard. Mercs and Commandos would go extinct.

The game is "balanced" around teams of 8. Changing that on would change he entire dynamic of PvP.

I don't think smaller teams would encourage more diverse comps at all. People would trim out more of the non FOTM classes. Why bring any healer besides an Op/Scoundrel? Burst DPS? Bring yourself some Smash specs or a Pyro/Assault PT/Vanguard. Mercs and Commandos would go extinct.

The game is "balanced" around teams of 8. Changing that on would change he entire dynamic of PvP.

People link that post over and over again but the logic fails.

Here's why:

Blizzard called it a mistake because of balancing PvE vs PvP abilities.

Arena itself was a grand success.

Are you aware that Season 8 in WoW was the most heightened aspect in terms of growing population and sponsorships on the game?

Arena's implementation on WoW was one of the greatest things Blizzard has ever done.

Cross-server queues would fix competitive PVP.

That's it.

Source: 3200 rating, bored of playing the same teams every night.

We're tired of playing you too... tired of out DPS'ing you... wait... son of a *******!!!

No seriously... cross server is needed badly. This should be #1 on the PvP to-do list for BW.

Class balance needs to be addressed before xserver queues.

If you're waiting on class balance in an MMO... you may have better luck taming a unicorn and riding him to the end of a rainbow to collect your pot of gold.

Good post. Lets face it, Bioware have got the community wrong from day 1. I don't know why/how etc but as a Star Wars game and as a pvp'er and taking a look at what is out there, the scope to cough up something different was huge - but they failed.

In games in WAR, I liked the Pvp zones on the maps and the fact that if a higher level player entered it, they turned into a chicken(brilliant), I would love to see a spectator mode like in League of legends or have the community team actually do some commentary for PvP matches - or even better, JOIN server Qs so we can play them. X-server goes without saying - it IS needed. ASAP.

As for open world, I think we need to have server wide buffs like Guild Wars 2 does, giving people a reason to play. Kills should yield WZ coms and other goodies you cant get anywhere else to again encourage the masses to visit.

SWTOR pvp is frustrating. I just love the Assassin class compared to any other MMO I have played yet its placed into an outdated game mechanic.

Come on Bioware,flex your creative muscle! GRRRR

Edited by DarthMaulUK

I agree with your post completely. I would be nice to see at least a change in the type of pvp. Having the ability to chose the warzone would be nice after cross-server queuing. Also, I would like to see a warzone of a larger scale too with 16 players. I also think ranked or whatever the next type of commendations are for the new tier of gear should only be obtainable from ranked warzones. I thought they only reason it was obtainable with regular comms was because of the last notice delay of the launch of ranked warzones. But that would then require single player queuing, so here my list of changes to be seen in the order I'd like to see them:

1. Fix resolve system correctly this time

2. Cross sever queues

3. Ability to chose the warzone you want to play

4. Match-making system for ranked matches

5. Single player queuing for ranked matches

6. New commendations for new gear only obtainable through ranked matches

7. Arena style system for 4 players and below (ranked and regular)

8. Large scale warzones for 16 players and above

I could probably go on, but I think that list is long enough! :)

I agree with your post completely. I would be nice to see at least a change in the type of pvp. Having the ability to chose the warzone would be nice after cross-server queuing. Also, I would like to see a warzone of a larger scale too with 16 players. I also think ranked or whatever the next type of commendations are for the new tier of gear should only be obtainable from ranked warzones. I thought they only reason it was obtainable with regular comms was because of the last notice delay of the launch of ranked warzones. But that would then require single player queuing, so here my list of changes to be seen in the order I'd like to see them:

1. Fix resolve system correctly this time

2. Cross sever queues

3. Ability to chose the warzone you want to play

4. Match-making system for ranked matches

5. Single player queuing for ranked matches

6. New commendations for new gear only obtainable through ranked matches

7. Arena style system for 4 players and below (ranked and regular)

8. Large scale warzones for 16 players and above

Solid post. The idea was not for the Arena style to replace ranked perse, but merely be an addition.

Good post. Lets face it, Bioware have got the community wrong from day 1. I don't know why/how etc but as a Star Wars game and as a pvp'er and taking a look at what is out there, the scope to cough up something different was huge - but they failed.

In games in WAR, I liked the Pvp zones on the maps and the fact that if a higher level player entered it, they turned into a chicken(brilliant), I would love to see a spectator mode like in League of legends or have the community team actually do some commentary for PvP matches - or even better, JOIN server Qs so we can play them. X-server goes without saying - it IS needed. ASAP.

As for open world, I think we need to have server wide buffs like Guild Wars 2 does, giving people a reason to play. Kills should yield WZ coms and other goodies you cant get anywhere else to again encourage the masses to visit.

SWTOR pvp is frustrating. I just love the Assassin class compared to any other MMO I have played yet its placed into an outdated game mechanic.

Come on Bioware,flex your creative muscle! GRRRR

Agreed with just about everything said here. Especially concerning open world PvP.

Edited by Xinika

People link that post over and over again but the logic fails.

Here's why:

Blizzard called it a mistake because of balancing PvE vs PvP abilities.

Arena itself was a grand success.

Are you aware that Season 8 in WoW was the most heightened aspect in terms of growing population and sponsorships on the game?

Arena's implementation on WoW was one of the greatest things Blizzard has ever done.

I just don't see how smaller teams would do anything different than ranked does now. You would have a few teams with the "best comps" (I'm not saying skill doesn't have anything to do with it but you better believe people will complain about it) rolling over players who wanted to just wanted to play and brought 2 Gunnery Commandos with them. In smaller arenas you're still going to get Smashed for 6-7k, you're still going to get bubble stunned, you're still going to be eating back to back 4k HiB/RS.

We're tired of playing you too... tired of out DPS'ing you... wait... son of a *******!!!

No seriously... cross server is needed badly. This should be #1 on the PvP to-do list for BW.

If you're waiting on class balance in an MMO... you may have better luck taming a unicorn and riding him to the end of a rainbow to collect your pot of gold.

It baffles my mind how you want xserver queses over class balance. Even if you get your xserver queues you will still be facing the same exact team setups.

Good joke.

Season 8 was around the time MLG dropped WoW for having 45 minute caster cleave stalemates.

The season was 1) ridiculously long 2) caster cleave with PvE trinkets 3) double healer shadowmourne warriors.

one of the devs said in an interview( its linked somewhere on here ) that they are looking at having dif team sizes in the future, 4v4, 6v6.

the problem with competitive pvp is the players. we'll see how BW overhauls ranked for season 1, but the results will be the same because the problem is players are given a rank and ratings. best thing to do is remove any ratings and just make ranked a nonrated team vs team play ground.

xserver is just a placebo and will not fix anything with rateds. teams will still duck top teams and still spend time and effort aranging phony matches.

the only competitive pvp that ever really works is GM run tournaments. that is what BW should focus on if they want esport style pvp. they should have team pvp tournaments on each server then take the winners from each server and have an overall tournament on a special server.

Good joke.

Season 8 was around the time MLG dropped WoW for having 45 minute caster cleave stalemates.

The season was 1) ridiculously long 2) caster cleave with PvE trinkets 3) double healer shadowmourne warriors.

...and despite that WoW's arena actually added to its player population and sales increase by a gigantic fold. It is quite a success. Despite however angry you may be at its class inbalance.

I just don't see how smaller teams would do anything different than ranked does now. You would have a few teams with the "best comps" (I'm not saying skill doesn't have anything to do with it but you better believe people will complain about it) rolling over players who wanted to just wanted to play and brought 2 Gunnery Commandos with them. In smaller arenas you're still going to get Smashed for 6-7k, you're still going to get bubble stunned, you're still going to be eating back to back 4k HiB/RS.

It would be under more control than overwhelming force. I'm not saying class balance shouldn't be attended too. I'm looking at it from the standpoint of what a developer would look at.

Which is: Profit>Gain>Fun

It baffles my mind how you want xserver queses over class balance. Even if you get your xserver queues you will still be facing the same exact team setups.

Pretty much this, but it would work to solving one problem.

1. Fix resolve system correctly this timeyep, no brainer.

2. Cross sever queuesShould be in.

3. Ability to chose the warzone you want to playThis is where I do not agree with. The matches should be random and whether it be you get to choose your map for ranked or regs you will get groups focusing on particular maps where certain classes have more of an advantage and that should not be the case.

4. Match-making system for ranked matchesThis will be needed more than ever now that WH is starting to level the playing field and more teams are going to start doing ranked (hopefully)

5. Single player queuing for ranked matchesnot a fan and I never liked having the idea of you being ranked for anything with 7 random members.

6. New commendations for new gear only obtainable through ranked matchesOnly if the gear is cosmetic only. Should not release any sort of advantage through ranking of any kind.

7. Arena style system for 4 players and below (ranked and regular)I would be down if they can get all classes to actually be within 5% of each other.

8. Large scale warzones for 16 players and aboveIf the engine could handle it I would love to see large scale battles, I mean there is a war going on after all.

Some good points but I don't agree with everything but cross server should happen and with a better match making system for regs and ranked would greatly improve PvP in this game.

Just for the sake of argument... let's use the king of all MMO's.

WoW... 8 years later. Still not balanced...

I dare you to look on any MMO forum or play any other MMO and say it's significantly more well balanced than this game.

My point is that if we wait on class balance before other changes... we will never see change.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

...and despite that WoW's arena actually added to its player population and sales increase by a gigantic fold. It is quite a success. Despite however angry you may be at its class inbalance.

Just saying Season 8 was one of the worst season, so I'm not sure why you highlight it. It was the last season I played after getting burned out on farming PvE (Icecrown) for PvP gear. The season was so long and stagnant that I still got Glad even after quitting for 3-4 months.

Just for the sake of argument... let's use the king of all MMO's.

WoW... 8 years later. Still not balanced...

I dare you to look on any MMO forum or play any other MMO and say it's significantly more well balanced than this game.

My point is that if we wait on class balance before other changes... we will never see change.

Warhammer and DAOC are much more balanced than ToR specifically from a class standpoint.

Edited by JustinxDuff

Just saying Season 8 was one of the worst season, so I'm not sure why you highlight it. It was the last season I played after getting burned out on farming PvE (Icecrown) for PvP gear. The season was so long and stagnant that I still got Glad even after quitting for 3-4 months.

Because it's true? S7/S8 were excellent seasons for Blizzard's gain in profit. Also, I did quit for a while, came back and got Gladiator similar to you. Class Balance is an unimportant feat. (Though I do not agree with that)

Profit is what matters to these companies.

Players need to realize that.

Edited by Xinika