On the subject of Revan

SiconCXII

It's been a little while now since I started playing this game. So far, I have to say that this is one of the most enjoyable MMO's I have played. The graphics are great, the game mechanics are very fun and well made, and while it has it's share of glitches here and there, it just got out of beta, so that's to be expected. Actually, I have yet to run into a glitch that was more than a minor annoyance to me. I have very few complaints about this game. In fact, I have just one.

A long time ago, I got the first KOTOR game. I enjoyed playing it, certainly. It was a great game, but just another great game from a drawer full of great games. Then, I got to the Leviathan. I'm not really sure what exactly about that reveal affected me so much. Maybe it was just the whole thing. Whatever it was, KOTOR went from 'just another great game' to possibly the best game I had ever played. For the next day or two, I had trouble tearing myself away from the computer as I finished KOTOR's grand finale, and when I finally did finish it... I turned right around and started over. I was amazed at how different the game seemed, now that I knew just who I was playing.

I won the game a second time, and had just as much, if not more fun than the first time around. For a while, I put away KOTOR and did other things, but that didn't last long. Over the years, I played it again, and again, and again. KOTOR II came out, and I was overjoyed. I installed it as fast as I could, but was disappointed to discover that I was playing a completely different character. Still, I started playing, and didn't judge the game just by that. I'm glad that I didn't. While the story was, at least in my opinion, not as good as its predecessor, I still played it repeatedly. Every time I played through one of the games, I learned just a little bit more about just who Revan was. I'm not sure exactly why I liked the character so much, but he quickly became my favorite character in all of Star Wars.

For a long time, I waited, hoping for a sequel, and another appearance of Revan. I replayed the KOTOR games many times, and when just playing the games themselves finally started to grow tiring, I downloaded mods from the internet, and made some of my own, fooling around with various different things.

Slowly though, I began to notice something. When I first played the games, I had chosen the options that I would have picked, playing the game as it was intended to be played. However, as time when on, my characters took a life of their own, taking paths that I never would have wanted to take. As time went on, the character 'Revan' solidified itself in my head, based on whatever scraps of cannon I could find, and the options from the games. When I got the game for the first time, Darth Revan seemed just as much of a villain as Palpatine, and when I discovered my character's identity, I always would take the options that denied who he was, claiming to be someone different. I saw everything in black and white, and now I can see the shades of grey.

The KOTOR games and the character of Revan have completely reshaped my perception of the Star Wars universe, and both hold a lot of fond memories. That is why I have this to say: Don't let it end like this. For me, and for many others, The Old Republic Era and Revan go hand in hand. I got this game because of Revan. Without him, I very well might have considered the subscription costs too high. But I wanted to see what happened to Revan. I never expected this. I never wanted this. I don't understand why it seemed like a good idea to make the player kill Revan. Sure, I understand why you wanted to kill him somehow. The poor guy is displaced 300 years in time and his wife, son, and all his friends are long dead! Having him remain alive and stuck 300 years in the future is hardly a happy ending. (Though I suppose you could get him to go off and work on time travel or something) Just... Why like this? Revan's death should at least mean something, shouldn't it? Shouldn't he die for a reason? I would have been perfectly happy if Revan had pulled some kind of Heroic Sacrifice to save... something or other. I would have been perfectly content if he had gone out with a bang, but this is possibly the worst way to go about it you could have chosen.

Now, in all fairness, Revan's story doesn't seem to be over. I know that the Foundry used to end with him dieing, but was modified just in case you wanted to bring him back. That was a very good idea. So, here is my plea: Bring him back, please! Let him showcase some of the awesomeness that got him so many fans, and for goodness sake, come up with an excuse for why he lost that fight! It doesn't make me feel good to beat Revan, even with four to one odds, it makes me feel sick! Revan could take on ARMIES! He crushed the Madalorians, proved himself possibly the greatest tactical mind of the era, and TOOK ON THE ENTIRE GARRISON OF THE STAR FORGE, before dueling Bastilla until she exhausted herself and gave up, taking on an army of chain-spawning droids, and dueling Darth Malak charged with the power of the Star Forge itself, and he came out of it at least well enough to run all the way back to the Ebon Hawk and fly away. All that makes me feel like is the biggest Gary Stu ever thought of, and if there is one thing I hate as an avid reader and amateur writer, it is Gary Stus.

I know at least some people are thinking that I am taking this too seriously, and maybe I am. However, that is just how I am.

It would mean a lot to me if those who agree with me, or at least see some sense in my position would respond, and maybe one day, the TOR staff will take our arguments into account. Probably a bit too optimistic, but hey, there is always hope.

~Sicon

Edited by SiconCXII

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right. I want Revan to be significant. He should be a real threat for his enemies. You could have centered a whole addon on Revan`s return.

He should become the supreme leader of the republican military which would restore hope in the whole galaxy.....and he should die with a success, raiding the palace of the sith emperor with the help of a raid and fighting the sith emperor again in an epic duel - sacrificing himself for the galaxy. There he could die an epic death, taking the sith emperor with him.

At least you should have given revan a great cutscene. Hell, you gave Darth Malgus 3 cutscenes, but you deny revan a single one?

This game is great, but revan deserves better.

Revan doesn`t have to be killed by the players. The players should enable revan to fight the sith emperor or enable a powerful sith lord to fight revan....

When I first read the boss list for the foundry I sat there for some minutes just staring at his name.

Bosses:

Revan.

I do not want to kill Revan.

Was the first thing that went trough my mind.

You are absolutley right. It`s Revan for ****s sake.

We were Revan, we love Revan. Revan is one of the strongest force users of all time.

That is why I chose to keep the Revanchist faction on Dromund Kaas safe from the Dark Council.

I am not sure if I want to go to the Foundry. Just so I won`t have to do it.

When I first read the boss list for the foundry I sat there for some minutes just staring at his name.

Bosses:

Revan.

I do not want to kill Revan.

Was the first thing that went trough my mind.

You are absolutley right. It`s Revan for ****s sake.

We were Revan, we love Revan. Revan is one of the strongest force users of all time.

That is why I chose to keep the Revanchist faction on Dromund Kaas safe from the Dark Council.

I am not sure if I want to go to the Foundry. Just so I won`t have to do it.

Agreed.. I haven't got to the stage of fighting Revan yet, and I don't want to, truth be told.

I just had a question for you.

During Beta I had a Sith Warrior, and following the Dark Side I obviously chose to hand in the Revanites to their doom. I just rolled a new Sith Warrior now, and before I get to this option I wanted to ask..

In the Sith Warrior story-line.. is it actually possible to follow Revan's path of neutrality? To follow neither Sith nor Jedi, but just the force in all its forms? To wield Light and Dark, Peace and Fear, Tranquillity and Hatred?

What happens if you save the Revanites? Do you get anything from 'actually' being a Revanite, and not just undercover to take them down?

Edited by Kampori

Could not agree with this more, to most Revan IS the soul of the old republic...in my opinion his symbolic worth is too big for a death like that.

And far too early to use that card,

It would be cool if an endgame feature was freeing Revan and a new class is unlocked, the true Revanites....like death knights in wow... Ok the last part, is a fanboys delussions :o , but still...Revan means too much for many players.

Thank you all for your posts. I'm glad to see that there are plenty of people out there who see things like I do. Frankly, it's encouraging. I just hope that someday the TOR team will realize how many people were upset by their ending to Revan's story. Guess I'm back to waiting around and hoping on a continuation.

And Evethor, until I know there will be some reason that my character wins that fight, and until Revan's story is continued, I think I won't be doing the Foundry flashpoint. I don't think I could really enjoy my character's anymore if I did. Somewhere the storyline crosses the line between an epic and heroic quest and the rampage of a God Mode Stu.

The question here is not whether or not the novel was good. That really doesn't matter. What the real problem is is how he is treated by the story. For months, while I waited for this game to come out, I watch all sorts of videos and read all sorts of articles, all going on and on about how important the story part of TOR is. Then, as a Republic player, you hit level 30ish, get called by a little green dude to rescue a 'an important prisoner', you bust him out and low and behold, there's Revan. You talk for about two minutes at best, Revan runs off and... is never mentioned again. The amount of time you get to spend talking to Revan is comparable to the amount of time you get to talk to a Twi'lek on Tython who wants you to run up a hill with a torch lighting a bunch of fires, and then you never hear about it again! I got mail from some mook on Tatooine, thanking me for letting him watch me kill sand people, and Revan is just never heard from again? What kind of story is that?

They took the most iconic character of the era, pulled him out for a two to three minute cameo, then dropped him halfway across the galaxy to get swarmed by a bunch of level 35s! After they went through so much trouble to get him in the game, what kind of ending is that? I would have been happy if he never even made an appearance! Heck, I never even expected him to show up in the first place until just before the release, and I was OK with that! As long as they could wrap up the story somehow, I didn't mind if they said Revan had died 300 years ago! If you are going to end Revan's story, FINE, end it! Just don't insult the character, me, or half your fan base while doing it!

Edited by SiconCXII

Pretty funny, just made a video on the Revan fight, he was the first boss that motivated me to do a PvE video lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GziVasI7OcM

Anyways, yeah I'm disappointed in killing Revan, if he they did leave it so he might come back. Seemed to come a bit too early in the game, and man, that boss fight was way too easy. I was kind of hoping we'd fight him and then he would run off or something, but nope. =-(

Wow. I've been waiting to find out the fate of revan, and it turns out he turned to some petty deluded fool? Massive let down. At least I know the answer now, but wow. Maybe after exploding he teleported elsewhere, "foundry was only a setback" style? Either way, I'm let down.

I haven't reached that point of the Foundry yet, but I would also be pretty upset if that actually was Revan. I loved finding bits of lore about him through out the game up to that point. Especially the hint that he was possibly alive and the Emperor.

So here is how I'm going to think about it: Maybe that character was not actually Revan. There is no way the Emperor would let such a powerful enemy as Revan lose. But he also wanted to find the Foundry.

So the Emperor decided to "clone" Revan's mind to another captured Jedi in the hopes of finding the Foundry. This nameless Jedi believed himself to be Revan, and lead the way to the Foundry. But the real Revan is still alive and out there somewhere.

I know that is unlikely. But until I'm proven different, this is what I'm going to think. :)

Bleh. Honestly, it's supposed to have been 300 fricking years. Why can't Revan rest in peace people? Why would you insist he be kept alive for 300 years? -We- are supposed to be the Revan's of today. -We- are the future of the Empire/Republic. We're the heroes.

Let Revan rest.

Also, like the clone theory. Let's the real Revan rest, satisfies the people who want Revan in a game that happened 300 years after his time.

I hate to break it to people, but we dont know if he is dead or not, he teleports himself out of the instance at the end of the fight....... I dont think its the last of revan we will be seeing..... He is too significant to just be a flashpoint boss....

Yes, many people over the course of the thread have said that.

Course, my point is that he was sigificant 300 years ago. He shouldn't BE sigificant now.

Here are my thoughts based upon my completion of the Foundry, I would put spoilers around it, but this is the spoilers forum so I assumed people are okay with them, anyway here goes.

This is not the Revan we know, this isn't the person from KOTOR or the Revan novel. For all his talk of "the force in balance" this Revan clearly seems to be a follower of darkness. If you are willing to commit genocide then you are not a servant of the Light. This is Revan is mad, and likely a servant of the dark side even if he does not know it. I wouldn't be too surprised if this was a clone, because he truly does seem insane.

So you're QQing about Revan's ending after what happened to 'Meetra'? be damned thankful, he didn't get one-hit lol-stomped by a nobody that gets curbed in three seconds by Jedi Knight player #394545 'Elit3JediSk1Lls'.

I am mad about that too, but this is a forum for the game, and I was complaining mostly about the game because of that. Scourge is an idiot, and Meetra deserved a happy ending too.

Bleh. Honestly, it's supposed to have been 300 fricking years. Why can't Revan rest in peace people? Why would you insist he be kept alive for 300 years? -We- are supposed to be the Revan's of today. -We- are the future of the Empire/Republic. We're the heroes.

Let Revan rest.

Also, like the clone theory. Let's the real Revan rest, satisfies the people who want Revan in a game that happened 300 years after his time.

Bingo. Just let him die in the past for goodness' sake. He doesn't need to be alive for three hundred years. Also, the clone comment got me thinking.... Anyone know what the main problem with clones used to be?

If you said insanity, you win the grand prize.

I think I have just found my interpretation of events.

Edited by SiconCXII

So I'm wondering we've all seen Revan in the game I'm a Light side player so do you still have to fight him? Anyways since Revan is in the Old Republic I wonder if he will meet Satele Shan since shes his great great granddaughter and also the fact I wonder if either one of them will be the one to defeat Darth Malgus? :D

No, he doesn't meet Satele, or if he does, no one ever says a word about it, including Satele.

As for killing Malgus, of course he doesn't kill Malgus. He dies to the Imperial players before he does ANYTHING at all.

And if anyone at all kills Malgus, you can bet it will be the player. In fact, its a safe bet to say that the players are going to be literally the only ones who do ANYTHING in this game. That's just how MMO's typically are.

Hey Sicon, I would really like you to know one thing: I love you. Reading through your post was like reading my thoughs all laid out and put into nice and well formulated sentences.

I've been feeling the exact same way about Revan since I have read up about his ending on the imperial side (playing as a Jedi). I too consider myself as a veteran player of both KOTOR games as I have accumulated a ridiculous amount of playtime hours over the years, so letting Revan be killed by a bunch of level 30ish nobodys just seems to me like an absolute insult to the character and a kick in the teeth for all dedicated KOTOR-fans. It's simply the worst decision that Bioware could have made storywise. Hell, even if he is still alive and does come back, because he utilized some form of force teleportation in the last moment, letting him be defeated and forcing him to flee a fight against four random adventurers who just happened to run into him is a completely ridiculous thought.

Revan is the essence of (KO)TOR - both previous games dedicated hours of text into developing and explaining his character, his history and his attitude towards the force. Revan was no ordanary Jedi, nor was he a typical Sith - he was something in between. Something far greater than both, and I think thats what makes him so interesting. He was a person who embraced the ideological freedom of the dark side, without being corrupted by it, while simultaneously keeping the clarity of mind and the reason of the Jedi, without being hold back by their ignorance. His character along with Kreias (who I also love very much) is fairly unique among the overly simplified black and white depictions of the force and its users in the Star Wars films and games. More than that, I think that the teachings of both characters in the KOTOR-games have deeply influenced me during my teenage years and helped me become a less ignorant and more reflective person. Considering all this, I would even go as far as to say that Revan is the most "valuable" character in all Star Wars for the ideals he represents.

Whereas now, we have TOR where all characters are again either black or white and persons such as Revan just have no place. But hey, we can't press such a highly complex and deep character on all those casual mmo-players, can we? Whats even worse is that he isn't even killed by a group of people who know who he is and understand his significance, but by a group of ignorant grunts who are blindly doing the bidding of their sith masters - so basically the prototypical KOTOR mobs. Letting him be killed by them lorewise back in KOTOR would have been absolutely unacceptable and unsatisfying to the player, so I seriously wonder why Bioware thinks it's acceptable now.

I was really worried that something like this would happen when I first heard that they were making an KOTOR-MMO. I absolutely hate how they treat important story characters in those games. It's like there is always a rich and fascinating backstory of people and factions battling each other with key persons and key events when suddenly everyone important is just killed off by big groups of nameless adventurers. They did it in WoW and sadly they are doing it here as well.

Revan does absolutely not deserve this treatment and I sincerely hope Bioware comes up with an stunning and unexpected story twist to his death, that somehow, some time rectifies this pathetic moment in lore.

Edited by Mvin

he didint die in swtor my friend his uncle works at bioware and said that revan didint die, he said that when the imperials beat him he used the dark side of the force to transfer to a safe place. that i do not, but all i know is that revan is not dead.