Destroying Capital Ships in Space Missions?

Has anyone succeeded in downing a capital ship in a space mission or know if it's possible? I've blown all the targetable areas to hell except for the bridges, which I just can't seem to do enough damage to. Should I keep trying or is it infeasible at this time?

I was actually wondering if it was possible to take one down. I am assuming that no matter how many points you shoot, nothing happens. The space missions are on rail shooters (which are very fun BTW) and I am pretty sure "killing" a Star Destroyer will not have any effect on the rail. Although if it does happen to change the rail in anyway, or at least show the Star Destroyer changing path or w/e to indicate that it is "dead", I will love this game even more than I do right now.

Also, I always wondered how to destroy those shoot points that flashed with a blue shield type thing when you shot them. Guess I need to arm Photon Torpedos when I can.

I downed one by taking out everything on the engine (back) side. It started falling from orbit and burned up/broke apart. It wasn't the biggest capital ship on the level but makes me think you can probably kill those too.

Didn't touch most of its turrets.

I downed one by taking out everything on the engine (back) side. It started falling from orbit and burned up/broke apart. It wasn't the biggest capital ship on the level but makes me think you can probably kill those too.

Didn't touch most of its turrets.

Was it a Star Destroyer in the mission where you are trying to take down one of the huge capital ships that was trying to hide just inside a planet's atmosphere because it was injured? If it was the mission I think you're talking about, that is what it supposed to happen. I did not even touch that ship once and it did the same thing, started falling out of the sky.

You can destroy bridges and the outpost com array (at the bottom) by spamming them with missiles. They take quite a few, but when they explode you'll get a couple of thousand for them. 3k for both the comms array and the capital ship bridge. Not bad if you ask me.

That said, its difficult - you have to hit them with missiles at every chance you get, and keep spamming them as they reload.

Barrel roll seems to make your ship move faster... at least, I think it does. Good for avoiding debris.

Thanks for the info; though I don't think the barrel roll moves the ship faster. On a rails shooter, that would change a lot of things (getting to the end of the rail before the time runs out would be a problem.)

However, if there WAS a way to accelerate once you'd finished the objectives, I'd like that, though it would make it 'easier' because you wouldn't have to survive any remaining blaster fire.

Related and slightly off-topic questions for fellow spacers:

1. If you DO use the proton torpedoes, what happens?

2. Is there a way to destroy shielded areas without them (massive damage)?

3. Does Barrel Roll (spacebar) actually DO anything?

I use Barrel Roll to avoid Talons coming at me. Works most of the time if I dont hit a asteroid :/

On the Imperial side, at least, you can destroy the shielded targets on the Cruiser, Frigate, and Space Platform with missiles. This gives you +500XP on the mission. I routinely destroy the cruiser bridge on the SARAPEN ASSAULT mission, and the platform communications array on the CARTEL LISTENING POST mission.

It takes 20 missiles to knock out the comm array, and about 24 to knock out the command bridge on the cruiser. I'm not sure what knocking out all of the frigate targets does for you, except the satisfaction of watching them fall away as flaming, crumbling wrecks. I'm usually way too busy to notice the XP numbers at that point. Each of the shielded targets on the frigates (engine exhaust, comm array, computer core, bridge) take 2-3 missiles apiece to knock out. Until I got the extra missile magazine capacity, I saved my missiles for the bigger ship.

Remember that flashing blue/white targets cannot be hurt AT ALL by your lasers, but your lasers make it easier to 'paint' the target so you know you have your missiles aimed at the right thing.

The bridges require the use of proton torpedoes, or whatever the lvl 50 upgrade is.

They do not require those. i was blowing them up around level 40 once i got the level 5 upgrades. you just need to focus fire/missile on them a lot and they will go. same with the comm arrays under the space stations. though i have found that the game will freeze/crash when you blow up the bridges occasionally. It happens nearly every time with comm arrays however.

Every time I knock out the Comm Array my game freezes and crashes out. Then when I log back in, my avatar is standing on top of my ship in the Space Combat screen and there is nothing in space but the background.

This is happening to me as well. Check your Event log, it was probably due to a faulty KERNELBASE.dll. If it is, report it in this thread so the devs can work on a fix:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=207487

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering that ab out barrel roll too, I have been able to use it physically avoid obstacles, but seems to do nothing for dodging laser/blaster fire.

U can destroy shielded area with missiles. U probably need torpedoes to destroy bridges and station's core. Orange targets are easy blaster fodder, yellow ones should be targeted with missiles because they're either shielded or need enormous amount of blaster shots (like cruiser main cannons.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay I just graded my ship to level 5 everything (I'm level 44) and I'm getting whipped in the level 42 space missions. The pre-req says level 3 upgrades are required. The level of difficulty has shot way up from the other ones. My missles seem to bounce off ships and my it takes several bursts of my lasers to kill even the trash wimpy ships that fly past you. I even stop firing to let my shields recharge but all that does is delay the pain. I get destroyed in the sullust mission and the other level 42 one I keep failing because I can't take out the "bonus" ships. I thought bonus was optional?

I like the missions, but my first two run throughs of my two new ones were utter failures, and I used to annihilate these with ease.