Shield vs Focus for DPS (Hatred in 5.9)

SilverWF

So, I am running dps Sin in Hatered. Mostly solo, with the rare cases of random ops.

And I was wonder: what a difference in between Shield and Focus

Here is a comparison for 230 rating gear:

cAuyTdQ.jpg

So, with shield I'm loosing

145,4 bonus damage (~5%) and 107,5 bonus healing

but getting

5% shield chance with 20% shield absorbtion.

Just wanna ask: is it worth it or not?

Honestly a 5% chance for 20% reduction is very low, only reducing the damage you take by 1%. However, not even all attacks are shieldable to begin with, so you're reducing the damage you take by less than 1%, I wouldn't bother using a shield as a dps if I were you. Even for solo stuff the reduced damage wouldn't be enough to be noticable, and for group stuff I can guarantee that your healer won't be able to tell the difference.

AFAIK, the shield will not even trigger for the 5%, because the tank stance turns the shield generator on. Run a focus.

Even if it did, you wont see enough of a difference to actually care, so run a focus.

IIRC, there is a 5% base chance baked into the shield. You get an extra +15% if you are in tank stance, for a total of 20% base shield chance and 20% base absorb without any mods (in tank spec).

It's possible it has changed since the old days, but this is how it used to work.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

IIRC, there is a 5% base chance baked into the shield. You get an extra +15% if you are in tank stance, for a total of 20% base shield chance and 20% base absorb without any mods (in tank spec).

It's possible it has changed from the old days, but this is how it used to work.

I can second this, you get the 5% shield chance even in dps spec.

no, they activate every time you have one equipped. Just because Bioware writes something in the loading screen, it's not true.

Ok... the shielding aspect... the other stats do. At least that is the way it was from the last test we did running shields on our dps toons.

Whether the shield activates or not (and it does) running a shield in dps spec is rather pointless to the point of being stupid.

But if you're running things solo, its not my business how stupid or not you choose to be.

Nice job insulting the OP...

...and in point of fact 2 of us ran shields/gens over several ops and never saw them proc. Maybe we were just unlucky.

Nice job insulting the OP...

...and in point of fact 2 of us ran shields/gens over several ops and never saw them proc. Maybe we were just unlucky.

I'm talking generalalities. In group content running a shield in dps spec is stupid because it nerfs your damage substantially for a thoroughly negligible gain in survivability.

For solo content it's stupid for much the same reason, but what anyone chooses to do in solo content is their choice completely. Being stupid then, is entirely within anyone's perogative. That's how personal liberty works.

Also for the record - i started this game 6 years ago having never played an mmo. I was that dumb vigi guardian with tank gear. I did my first FP after over a year playing and someone called me all sorts of names. Guess what? I appreciate this random, name long ago forgotten person for telling me what i was doing was stupid.

I've come a long way since then, but it never would have happened without that one random jerk in a fp who called out the idiot. (In this instance, me circa 2013).

Experience, after all, is the best teacher.