Boba Fett is Both Dead and Alive (Technically)

This is a Theory, nothing set in stone.

In the Case of Boba Fett, there has been numerous debates on whether he died in Return of the Jedi or rather escaped the almighty Sarlacc after the film was over. Mr. Lucas' statements in interviews have hinted and strongly suggested at Fett biting the dust when he comically met his movie end.

But I have been doing research and spare me the "No Life Comments" and hear me out. My theory is considering the facts Fett is both Dead and Alive.

From what Lucas has said over the years regarding the Expanded Universe, it's essentially a different universe or take on his film's universe. What happens in the EU doesn't necessarily happen in the "Lucasverse" of Star Wars. Lucas himself has stated things in the EU doesn't occur in his Films history like, The Emperor being Cloned, Luke Marrying Mara Jade and among other things. So my Theory is If your going to be official as in you don't accept the EU as Lore for the Star Wars Universe, then the character Boba Fett is dead. Officially.

However. If you accept the EU as part of the *Licensed* Lore, like I do, then Technically Fett survived the event that killed him in the Lucas Verse. The Multimedia that recounts him climbing out of the Sarlacc is in the legitimate level zone in terms of Canon. It is not rated N-Canon or S-Canon like the Infinities Series and other Stories that don't necessarily occur in the Legit EU Lore, meaning It actually happens and so far hasn't been retconned. Meaning Boba Fett is also Alive.

Just not in the Lucasverse. If you follow only what Lucas Says, Fett is dead, however if you follow the EU as part of the Lore then Fett is alive.

Note: G-Canon and T-Canon isn't the Lucasverse exactly, it simply exists as elements in the Lucasverse. They just include the Movies and the TV Show's Lore. As G-Canon and T-Canon also form the backbone for the EU Lore as well.

The Lucasverse is basically just the Movies and TV Show and what ever Mr. Lucas has deemed fit to put in the Lucasverse.

Tell me what you think?

Edited by CassusVerda

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Case of Boba Fett, there has been numerous debates on whether he died in Return of the Jedi or rather escaped the almighty Sarlacc after the film was over. Mr. Lucas' statements in interviews have hinted and strongly suggested at Fett biting the dust when he comically met his movie end.

But I have been doing research and spare me the "No Life Comments" and hear me out. My theory is considering the facts Fett is both Dead and Alive.

From what Lucas has said over the years regarding the Expanded Universe, it's essentially a different universe or take on his film's universe. What happens in the EU doesn't necessarily happen in the "Lucasverse" of Star Wars. Lucas himself has stated things in the EU doesn't occur in his Films history like, The Emperor being Cloned, Luke Marrying Mara Jade and among other things. So my Theory is If your going to be official as in you don't accept the EU as Lore for the Star Wars Universe, then the character Boba Fett is dead. Officially.

However. If you accept the EU as part of the *Licensed* Lore, like I do, then Technically Fett survived the event that killed him in the Lucas Verse. The Multimedia that recounts him climbing out of the Sarlacc is in the legitimate level zone in terms of Canon. It is not rated N-Canon or S-Canon like the Infinities Series and other Stories that don't necessarily occur in the Legit EU Lore, meaning It actually happens and so far hasn't been retconned. Meaning Boba Fett is also Alive.

Note: G-Canon and T-Canon isn't the Lucasverse, it simply exists in the Lucasverse. They just include the Movies and the TV Show's Lore.

The Lucasverse is basically just the Movies and TV Show and what ever Mr. Lucas has deemed fit to put in the Lucasverse.

Tell me what you think?

He is alive according to Lucas, Lucas said he considered adding a shot of Fett crawling out of the Sarlaac in Return of the Jedi in one of the edits but didn't because he thought it would take away from the movie.

Just not in the Lucasverse. If you follow only what Lucas Says, Fett is dead, however if you follow the EU as part of the Lore then Fett is alive.

Note: G-Canon and T-Canon isn't the Lucasverse exactly, it simply exists as elements in the Lucasverse. They just include the Movies and the TV Show's Lore. As G-Canon and T-Canon also form the backbone for the EU Lore as well.

Tell me what you think?

Ok, to clarify a few things:

First: according to George Lucas (in an interview AFTER the fan and film critic nerdrage over the Prequels sucking so bad) stated that Fett died in RotJ. I, however, don't believe anything he says when he's having a pantyfit over how he thinks he should be treated vs. how he deserves to be treated. I also believe he was actively trolling the fans at that point, knowing how popular Fett is.

Second: George HAS actively stuck his nose into the Expanded Universe and retconned several things that he didn't like. I will list the same two examples as before in other threads. 1) The Original Jedi Code wasn't restrictive enough for George Lucas in regards to it being interpreted for banning relationships and marriage in the Jedi Order. This change happened after Episode I released, since George was most probably asked WHY the Jedi would ban attachments under a very leniently worded Code. He had them tighten it up with "There is no" in each line instead of "yet". And 2) Wookiee Jedi. He HATED the idea. The only one he allows is Lowbacca, having retconned ALL previous Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe.

My point is, if George REALLY wanted Fett dead, he would retcon Fett out of existence in the Expanded Universe as well.

Third: Even though he thought about putting the scene in at the end of RotJ, he felt that it didn't mesh well with the ending (Like Hayden Christensen in the final scene DID mesh????). Basically, when he made Greedo shoot first, and left some huge gaping plotholes in his story, not to mention RETCONNING HIMSELF, I can no longer take him seriously.

He created Star Wars, and nobody can take THAT away from him. However, Star Wars has far outgrown him, and developed a life of its own.

Also, G-Canon IS THE MOVIES and the "Lucasverse" as you call it. T-Canon is about a half-step down from that since George's family has pretty tight control on Clone Wars, which is the only T-Canon in existence right now.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Ok, to clarify a few things:

First: according to George Lucas (in an interview AFTER the fan and film critic nerdrage over the Prequels sucking so bad) stated that Fett died in RotJ. I, however, don't believe anything he says when he's having a pantyfit over how he thinks he should be treated vs. how he deserves to be treated. I also believe he was actively trolling the fans at that point, knowing how popular Fett is.

Second: George HAS actively stuck his nose into the Expanded Universe and retconned several things that he didn't like. I will list the same two examples as before in other threads. 1) The Original Jedi Code wasn't restrictive enough for George Lucas in regards to it being interpreted for banning relationships and marriage in the Jedi Order. This change happened after Episode I released, since George was most probably asked WHY the Jedi would ban attachments under a very leniently worded Code. He had them tighten it up with "There is no" in each line instead of "yet". And 2) Wookiee Jedi. He HATED the idea. The only one he allows is Lowbacca, having retconned ALL previous Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe.

My point is, if George REALLY wanted Fett dead, he would retcon Fett out of existence in the Expanded Universe as well.

Third: Even though he thought about putting the scene in at the end of RotJ, he felt that it didn't mesh well with the ending (Like Hayden Christensen in the final scene DID mesh????). Basically, when he made Greedo shoot first, and left some huge gaping plotholes in his story, not to mention RETCONNING HIMSELF, I can no longer take him seriously.

He created Star Wars, and nobody can take THAT away from him. However, Star Wars has far outgrown him, and developed a life of its own.

Also, G-Canon IS THE MOVIES and the "Lucasverse" as you call it. T-Canon is about a half-step down from that since George's family has pretty tight control on Clone Wars, which is the only T-Canon in existence right now.

Well...let me clarify. I recognize that Mr. Lucas has the ability to change and disapprove anything he wants in the EU. It's his IP afterall. So he would most likely have his say on what makes it into the EU.

The "Lucasverse", which is my term for what George wants Star Wars to go like, how he personally wants the story to go. Like to him Star Wars ended with Return of the Jedi and largely he doesn't think the story goes on that far. Granted he has put input into stories that take place after ROTJ, but I suspect he doesn't necessarily count it as a true successor to "His Story or Universe" more of adding on to the Alternate Universe.

The "EU" term, the way I'm using it isn't exactly the Expanded Universe, it's of how George wouldn't have done, based off of what he has said in interviews regarding the EU. I'm using "EU" as a placeholder name for the "Alternate Universe" as George calls it.

However I see it like this. George owns two sandboxes. The "Lucasverse" Box and the "EU" Box. He has stuff in both these sandboxes that are set in stone that cannot be changed except by him or someone he puts in charge. I.E. The Movies and other stuff he is personally involved with. This is the base that holds the creations together.

The EU Box is the sandbox he lets the other kids use, (The Authors and other people behind the Multimedia in the EU). HE lets them build what ever they want, but they have to meet his standards or that of his friends (Lucas Licensing, you know the people incharge of the company that approve or shoot down ideas for stories) standards because obviously it's still his sandbox, even though he spends more time at his personal Sandbox. He can still come over and smash somebodies Castle if he doesn't like it (Retcons) or it makes something in his Box look bad (Something that contradicts).

And G-Canon and T-Canon aren't really "the Lucasverse", they're just about the only canon that makes it into the "Lucasverse" with the exception of somethings that Mr. Lucas likes from C-Canon and S-Canon that he would like to put into stories in G and T Canon Material. Like Aayla Secura and Coruscant for just a few examples.

Edited by CassusVerda

Also YT-2400s are G-canon(YAY my fav ship!), anyway but Boba's survival is because the sarlacc at the time didn't have the "beak" tongue on the outside showing. Now...I can see getting out of a hole, but I can't see how he would get out of a tongue.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/60/Sarlacc_Body.jpg&imgrefurl=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlacc&h=1445&w=853&sz=231&tbnid=WkKzmrGEkbjI5M:&tbnh=102&tbnw=60&zoom=1&docid=rYY-U0dJvZZoCM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=67arT-O8EtOEtgethoGjAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFsQ9QEwAA&dur=264

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Also YT-2400s are G-canon(YAY my fav ship!), anyway but Boba's survival is because the sarlacc at the time didn't have the "beak" tongue on the outside showing. Now...I can see getting out of a hole, but I can't see how he would get out of a tongue.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/60/Sarlacc_Body.jpg&imgrefurl=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlacc&h=1445&w=853&sz=231&tbnid=WkKzmrGEkbjI5M:&tbnh=102&tbnw=60&zoom=1&docid=rYY-U0dJvZZoCM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=67arT-O8EtOEtgethoGjAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFsQ9QEwAA&dur=264

Simple he uses his wrist blasters or something else in his arsenal like his damaged Jetpack as a makeshift bomb that blew the beak off the damn thing.

cant really add much that hast already been said..

but my own thoughts is that he did survive.

Mearly falling into the saarlac pit didnt kill him ... I know slowly being digested over a thousand years sounds like fun but boba has the best armor available or so i've been told and materials since as previosuly said mentoned that boba climbed out of the pit after luke et al had left the area in ROTJ

I ignore the fact that it now has a beak and tend to look away from a spoilt part of the movie there was no need for adding that IMHO.

even if it did have a bird like beak then i'm sure boba just blasted his way out anyway.

so for me he's always been alive

He is alive according to Lucas, Lucas said he considered adding a shot of Fett crawling out of the Sarlaac in Return of the Jedi in one of the edits but didn't because he thought it would take away from the movie.

This is like a bad horror movie. Just when I think its over something pulls me back in.

As for your comment no George Lucas has never said boba fett lives. He has said many times boba fett dies there.

You are right he did say he considered adding a scene but he said he didnt do it because it wouldnt fit.

However a musical number does fit

But again according to G canon boba fett is dead. since he dies in g canon all those stories post rotj are not c canon. ,

The

This is like a bad horror movie. Just when I think its over something pulls me back in.

As for your comment no George Lucas has never said boba fett lives. He has said many times boba fett dies there.

You are right he did say he considered adding a scene but he said he didnt do it because it wouldnt fit.

But again according to G canon boba fett is dead. since he dies in g canon all those stories post rotj are not c canon. ,

The

The....the what? Your keeping me in suspense! :eek:

Bah stupid phone

Anyway as I was saying the story that had boba fett first escape was Tales of the bounty hunter and it came out in1996 long before the special editions and before the current canon system. After the prequels and the new canon system a LOT of EU stuff that was canon was made non canon by both the prequels and the new canon system.

G-canon C-canon T-canon Z-canon. its all aload of of can-on-crap, i used to think the canon system was just out dated and starwars had out grown it. but now i think or it, its overly complicated and just shield made from crap for lucas to hide behind every time he says something, that doesn't fit with something else he has already said.

boba fett dead or alive? in my eyes this is a very simple question to answer,

alive

if lucas really wanted two seperate universes, his/EU. then he should have made all the authors that write about starwars. name their new universe/franchise/brand something else. they should have come up with their own setting, their own characters. it says starwars on the cover of my book. it has han solo and boba fett duking it out. it has luke skywalker swinging a lightsaber and talking to ppl in his head.

i buy this kind of book becasue i'm a long time starwars fan. and while lucasart is taking my money and advertising this as starwars, then in my opinion i am reading starwars. and i don't give a crap what george has to say on the matter. its canon, its not canon. its starwars and boba fett is flying around in slave one, quite alive, and that is good enough for me

G-canon C-canon T-canon Z-canon. its all aload of of can-on-crap, i used to think the canon system was just out dated and starwars had out grown it. but now i think or it, its overly complicated and just shield made from crap for lucas to hide behind every time he says something, that doesn't fit with something else he has already said.

boba fett dead or alive? in my eyes this is a very simple question to answer,

alive

if lucas really wanted two seperate universes, his/EU. then he should have made all the authors that write about starwars. name their new universe/franchise/brand something else. they should have come up with their own setting, their own characters. it says starwars on the cover of my book. it has han solo and boba fett duking it out. it has luke skywalker swinging a lightsaber and talking to ppl in his head.

i buy this kind of book becasue i'm a long time starwars fan. and while lucasart is taking my money and advertising this as starwars, then in my opinion i am reading starwars. and i don't give a crap what george has to say on the matter. its canon, its not canon. its starwars and boba fett is flying around in slave one, quite alive, and that is good enough for me

exactly .. thats what I felt but my post came out slightly different lol..

its all star wars to me this a-canon b-canon c-canon... its all a load of jarjar binks to me.....

if it says star wars then its star wars .....

BOBA LIVES

How is the canon system complicated?....All the authors need to do, is not step on the movies thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

its complicated because there is to many un-necessary levels. G and C. and T and etc. all that was needed was canon level one and canon level two . one for george's stuff and one for the rest. but no you got canon for films, canon for books, canon for games, canon for comics canon for t-shirts. ok so maybe not quite. but its still aload of can-on-crap

its complicated because there is to many un-necessary levels. G and C. and T and etc. all that was needed was canon level one and canon level two . one for george's stuff and one for the rest. but no you got canon for films, canon for books, canon for games, canon for comics canon for t-shirts. ok so maybe not quite. but its still aload of can-on-crap

Err..when you look at it really, .there pretty much is just two canon levels. G and C canon.

G-canon: Is the movies and anything that George says the OK for.

C-canon: Is everything else, books, games, comics, etc

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The

If Lucas said he considered adding a scene then I take that to mean that he considers Fett alive.

Err..when you look at it really, .there pretty much is just two canon levels. G and C canon.

G-canon: Is the movies and anything that George says the OK for.

C-canon: Is everything else, books, games, comics, etc

but as i said originally, there shouldn't be canon, there should be starwars, end of. there shouldn't be two separate kinds of starwars, there should be one. it is stupid that. luke skywalker is a character in G and C. the exact same person but in two separate universes. as george says, you can have your EU storys but it has nothing to do with my story's. then why let them use the starwars name?

let me answer that. starwars is a well established brand with a huge, and i mean HUGE fanbase it as an established universe, and characters that every1 is familiar with, this works well on two levels !) it gives the author a good staring point for any story. 2) a ready made market, just itching to open their wallets at anything starwars (do you think half of us would have bought as many of the EU books if it didn't have the starwars story inside?)

you can't take the good, the money, and just hide the bad. "these story's are not going the way i would write them." if he didn't want his beloved starwars going in a direction out of his control, then he should have forced the authors to write a different story, (as i have already stated) but hey that would have been bad business decision.

there is so much crap going around about what EU is and isn't that it just isn't funny anymore. "EU is a separate universe, that has nothing to do with starwars the movies" "EU is fine as long as it doesn't contradict the movies" "bobo fett is dead no matter what" (even tho his escape from the sarlac doesn't contradict the movies) "darth maul is ok to be alive again" (apparently being cut in half but not dying is ok, and maul's re-appearance is more acceptable then boba's)

as i have just pointed out the canon system doesn't prevent confusion what would prevent confusion, is if george lucas would stop talking, get rid of canon and just let starwars be starwars

Edited by grandmthethird

but as i said originally, there shouldn't be canon, there should be starwars, end of. there shouldn't be two separate kinds of starwars, there should be one. it is stupid that. luke skywalker is a character in G and C. the exact same person but in two separate universes. as george says, you can have your EU storys but it has nothing to do with my story's. then why let them use the starwars name?

let me answer that. starwars is a well established brand with a huge, and i mean HUGE fanbase it as an established universe, and characters that every1 is familiar with, this works well on two levels !) it gives the author a good staring point for any story. 2) a ready made market, just itching to open their wallets at anything starwars (do you think half of us would have bought as many of the EU books if it didn't have the starwars story inside?)

you can't take the good, the money, and just hide the bad. "these story's are not going the way i would write them." if he didn't want his beloved starwars going in a direction out of his control, then he should have forced the authors to write a different story, (as i have already stated) but hey that would have been bad business decision.

there is so much crap going around about what EU is and isn't that it just isn't funny anymore. "EU is a separate universe, that has nothing to do with starwars the movies" "EU is fine as long as it doesn't contradict the movies" "bobo fett is dead no matter what" (even tho his escape from the sarlac doesn't contradict the movies) "darth maul is ok to be alive again" (apparently being cut in half but not dying is ok, and maul's re-appearance is more acceptable then boba's)

as i have just pointed out the canon system doesn't prevent confusion what would prevent confusion, is if george lucas would stop talking, get rid of canon and just let starwars be starwars

George's story starts and ends with the movies. That is G-Canon. Everything else APPROVED by Lucas is C-Canon, or if it's on TV, it's considered T-Canon. Also, T-Canon has input FROM the Lucas family, most notably his kids in the case of Clone Wars. So in a way, the three levels make sense. Only once has something been completely retconned from T to N canon. That was the Holiday special. It never happened, even though George LOVES musical numbers. :p

C-Canon is the most controversial, since some things in it HAVE been actively retconned by George. It's stuff he doesn't want in his story, or he thinks doesn't fit with his story. In the case of the original Jedi Code, I agree that it didn't fit with the Jedi in the Prequels having banned relationships, and the revised code made more sense in that regard. As to Wookiee Jedi getting nixed, I still wonder why sometimes. I would have thought that Wookiees would have just as much shot of being Jedi as any other sentient species out there. But hey, if George doesn't want any Wookiees besides Lowbacca to be Jedi, that's his thing. lol I'm just glad he didn't retcon Lowie, and made an exception for him. :D

I do believe he allows Fett to live on in C-Canon because it doesn't directly contradict what is seen on-screen during RotJ. Also, as a Bounty Hunter of his intelligence and reputation, he could have developed a resistance to Sarlacc poisons or had an antidote handy on an auto-inject system just in case. In Bounty Hunter Wars, it doesn't go into great detail on the hows, but he did escape by turning his old jetpack into a bomb. He severely injured the Sarlacc enough that he was able to escape.

Edited by Captain_Zone