Vanguard rotation/prority

cisme

As a vanguard tank I've noticed that I use a way different rotation than others. I start the fight with sticky grenade, storm then I use battle focus stockstrike and then HIB with Energy blast. At this point I have around 8 energy so I continue with my priority which is.

HIB/ Energy Blast>Stockstrike>Sticky grenade>Ion pulse

Between each of these I will fire one round of hammer shots which keeps my energy up except for the HIB/ Energy blast. That counts as a 'freebee' whereas no matter how much energy I have as long as it's above 8 when those two are fired I will end up with the same amount I started with. (-2 energy from HIB +1 from energy blast +1 from GCD)

Using this I can use HIB and Energy blast whenever they are up, and keep all my buffs/debuffs up. Last I checked I parsed around 850DPS but I recently added some augments which had power.

Wondering what DPS I should have/ how I can improve my rotation

Looks fine, though I tend to not use the sticky on the opener. It pulls you into combat which signals the dps that its go time, but the grenade doesn't generate threat until it explodes. I find it better for snap threat to just charge in, skipping the grenade and going straight for a pulse-cannon as soon as railshot is on cd and rocket punch proc has been burned. Then focus on building up heat screen and working into the ability priority you mention.

I think you rotate rapid shots in too often. You want to below 40 heat, yes, but you don't have to always be below 10.

I personally open similarly, charge, rocket punch, railshot + heatblast, then depending on heat flame burst and rapid shots as filler.

Rapid shots if heat is above 25 or so, flame burst if it's not.

Yea that's pretty well what I do for an opener. If I've got a good dps with me I'll throw in a taunt after the opener sequence and then aoe taunt after the first rotation. Also I like to go balls out at the start and then vent heat around 50-60 then do the free ability thing on a flamethrower or dfa. Gets both of those on cooldwn fast and let's me settle into a normal rotation. I end up around 800-850 DPS as well on fights where im able to attack all/most of the time.