A tip regarding companion weapons

iglumajor

The tip: Some companion weapons that come with the companion are modifiable, I'm not entirely sure which ones but the stock saber staffs (ie. double bladed lightsabers) for Jaesa Wilsaam and Kira are modifiable (even though they have a green icon which is can be very deceiving!). Be careful not to throw these items away for other companion restricted weapons that come in certain mission awards, they are not modifiable!

This should be looked into more closely, if people want to collect info on which stock companion weapons are modifiable feel free to mention in this thread!

Interesting not sure I ever bothered to look at those. Another tip! Instead of using moddable weapons/offhands for your companions, just use blues/non-moddable gear. They're often as good or better at level, tend to be a lot cheaper, AND a lot less work compared to replacing mods every few levels. Also allows you to save your comms for your mods.

Yes it saves planetary comms but if you have an out dated unmodifiable weapon on you'r companion you have to buy/find a new one and as far as mission rewards go, they are few and far between, I'd say it's better to stick with the stock weapon and upgrade it when needed instead of buying a new one every time you'r companion starts losing steam so to say :D

it comes down to personal preference I quess

Edited by iglumajor

Not that I'm bragging, but I've known about this for a long time. When I pointed it out to someone else, they were surprised and wondered how I knew about it. The "secret" appears to be the detailed tooltips. I have the detailed tooltips enabled, and for modifiable items, it shows each mod in the item. The Modifiable-Greens (of which I've only seen weapons so far) all show up quite easily with those tooltips.

So, additional tip: Enable the detailed item tooltips. It makes it trivial to spot the Modifiable-Greens and far easier to figure out which item is the best choice for that new armor/mod/enhancement you just got.

Yes it saves planetary comms but if you have an out dated unmodifiable weapon on you'r companion you have to buy/find a new one and as far as mission rewards go, they are few and far between, I'd say it's better to stick with the stock weapon and upgrade it when needed instead of buying a new one every time you'r companion starts losing steam so to say :D

it comes down to personal preference I quess

Agree, personal preference. My experience has been blue weaps/offhands are readily available on GTN for pretty cheap, at least compared to replacing all the mods in them every few levels. i.e. a l25 blue weapon might be 15k credits, while replacing the mods would cost something like 50k if you're lucky. And that's just for the mainhand, don't forget offhand, so multiply that by 2. Using blues also lets you use comms for YOUR gear.

I do both ways. I'll stick with an orange/moddable weap for my companion if it looks nice, but otherwise I'll just give em blues. Also depends on cost/availablitly of mods vs. a blue main/offhand. If it costs 50k to replace the mods, or 15k for a mainhand blue, I'll just grab the blue. Also depends how many comms I have at the time :)

Edited by tharbison

Corso actually rewards you with a green modifiable blaster pistol, if you have a female Smuggler. Also, if you check the weapons vendors across the galaxy, many have for sale green modifiable weapons as well.

One of them is a real treat, since it's a Vibroblade that auto-disappears once it is sheathed. Win. :D

The tip: Some companion weapons that come with the companion are modifiable, I'm not entirely sure which ones but the stock saber staffs (ie. double bladed lightsabers) for Jaesa Wilsaam and Kira are modifiable (even though they have a green icon which is can be very deceiving!). Be careful not to throw these items away for other companion restricted weapons that come in certain mission awards, they are not modifiable!

This should be looked into more closely, if people want to collect info on which stock companion weapons are modifiable feel free to mention in this thread!

Yeah... even though some companion weapons are issued as "greens" they are fully modable and can be used for life if you like the style/design. I actually think most companion starter weapons ARE modable... but people see "green" and proceed to toss them.

Now days, with Collections, I toss most of them simply for a different style/design... but in the early days.. it was nice that the companions came with modable weapons.

Edited by Andryah

Corso actually rewards you with a green modifiable blaster pistol, if you have a female Smuggler. Also, if you check the weapons vendors across the galaxy, many have for sale green modifiable weapons as well.

One of them is a real treat, since it's a Vibroblade that auto-disappears once it is sheathed. Win. :D

What would have been nice, is if that second blaster matched 'Flashy'. I like matching weapons, and still haven't found one that matches Flashy.

What would have been nice, is if that second blaster matched 'Flashy'. I like matching weapons, and still haven't found one that matches Flashy.

Doesn't exist, just like it doesn't exist one 100% identical to the A-3000. Of course Bioware introduced one that LOOKS similar but it doesn't sound ANYTHING like it.

I tend to toss them because I use comms to keep my own gear up to date. With a full set of orange gear/weapons on my character, 100 planetary commendations are all but used up to refresh them. I do keep fairly up-to-date though, replacing everything every four levels (starting at 19). Running a combo of warzones and planetary missions, it's easy to keep a full set of comms on-hand for this period, but there aren't a whole lot to spare for the companion. Instead, I keep them in whatever green or blue items are available, and I am sure to give them a +41 crystal from collections in their mainhand and offhand slots (yes, you can put custom crystals in green and blue gear even if the the rest of the stats are not modifiable).

Those crystals are spendy to acquire, but you only have to buy them once.

I believe the only companions that don't come with modable weapons are the ones from the starter planets. In my experience, all the other companions carry modable weapons when they join you. It's just my experience, haven't really tested it.

I wish their starting armor was moddable. Outside of spending money on the cartel armor, you can't find bounty hunter armor for Akaavi Spar. I also wanted to keep Doc in his lab coat but had to get rid of it since it wasn't moddable. :(

Lots of reputation gear with right dyes can work wonders... all it needs is lots of credits and time to grind the reputation.

I wish their starting armor was moddable. Outside of spending money on the cartel armor, you can't find bounty hunter armor for Akaavi Spar. I also wanted to keep Doc in his lab coat but had to get rid of it since it wasn't moddable. :(

You mean you can't find what you view as bounty hunter armor. My Bounty Hunter wears the Outlaw duster and Corsec stuff. Looks like a bounty hunter to me.

I've noticed that some of the gear for droids are moddable as well, even if they're green. I think (but am not 100% sure) that the gear they come with is like this.

The armor T7 comes is with not moddable (I am 99.99% sure).

Edited by branmakmuffin

You mean you can't find what you view as bounty hunter armor. My Bounty Hunter wears the Outlaw duster and Corsec stuff. Looks like a bounty hunter to me.

The armor T7 comes is with not moddable (I am 99.99% sure).

I use the Triumvirate armor with a TH16B helm for my bounty hunter look.