Ilum, PvP and the Gree event

Mashugana

I do not understand if Ilum is an open PvP world or not. How does Ilum work with PvE and PvP? Are some zones automatically PvP and you get flagged as soon as you enter? Is it every player for themselves or is it Imp vs. Pub?

I want to try the Gree event dailies. Will I have to survive in a PvP area to do them?

Thanks for any advice :)

Hi,

Ilum is open, so you can go there without doing PvP.

There is a "special" area for the Gree event, and you can take the taxi service speeder to it. Just make sure you pick up the quest at you fleet from the news service droids.

Once there, there is a console where you can grab the quests from, there are 4 PvE dailies (one of which is heroic and difficult to solo).

I think there are 2 PvP.

So the PvP appears to be optional.

My first time running this event too, and I thought it was all PvP, but you can run the PvE dailes and still get reputation points towards the Gree.

Hope that helps. :)

Another interesting point. The very center of the western part of Ilum (where the Gree event takes place) is open world PvP. If you enter that area, you will be automatically flagged for PvP. However, you do not need to enter that area to do all of the PvE quests. The two PvP quests mentioned above *do* take place in this area.

In an odd turn, even though this center area automatically flags you for PvP, you cannot complete the two PvP quests by entering this area while in a PvE map instance. You must switch to the actual PvP map instance to complete these other two quests.

Another interesting point. The very center of the western part of Ilum (where the Gree event takes place) is open world PvP. If you enter that area, you will be automatically flagged for PvP. However, you do not need to enter that area to do all of the PvE quests. The two PvP quests mentioned above *do* take place in this area.

In an odd turn, even though this center area automatically flags you for PvP, you cannot complete the two PvP quests by entering this area while in a PvE map instance. You must switch to the actual PvP map instance to complete these other two quests.

Thank you! This was my fear - that I'd wander into a PvP zone unknowingly and get ganked. Is there some kind of warning? Is the zone marked red on the map or something?

The PVP area on Ilum (the "Contested Area" in the middle of the Western Ice Shelf, aka The Circle), like the Outlaw's Den on Tatooine, doesn't flag you for PVP anymore, and hasn't for years (since Patch 4.3, in April 2016). It just gives that big, red, message saying, "Your companion has been dismissed due to entering companion free region". If you don't have a companion with you (like if you're on a speeder, instead of on foot), you'll still see a big, red, "Small Group Free For All (PVP)" message on your screen when you enter the area. But it doesn't actually flag you for PVP.

To actually do PVP on Ilum (or anywhere else), you need to click the little down-arrow next to "PVE" at the bottom of your minimap, and click on "Toggle PVP focus" to switch it from PVE to PVP*. And then you will switch to the PVP instance of whatever planet you're on, and you will actually be able to participate in open world PVP action, including those event-specific PVP missions on Ilum.

*Or you can open your World map, and use the list of instances at the lower right to switch to the PVP instance of the planet.