Shieldtech PvP impression

Trungalung

I am currently level 36 and having a blast in PvP. Imho, the tree is exceptionally strong with abilities to withstand damage and fight from any range (be it up close or far away even though it's not optimal) while having reasonable damage output.

The new PvP tank system carried from Warhammer is new to me since the only other MMO I played PvP serious is WoW. However, the Guard/Taunt abilities put so much depth into the spec. I have to constantly watching my teammates and target switch around constantly (put Guard on someone who's not taking damage is pointless).

I can fight at any range. For a supposedly melee class, I can kite exceptionally well thanks to talented Ion Gas Cylinder. I usually kite them around til their health is good enough for me to go for the kill. Against range, I like to stay close and personal interrupting them (we have quite a few interrupt abilities). The point of the game here is to survive and outlast the opponent (melee or range).

We have one of the best utilities: Grappling Hook. I love this skill. Yank their ball carrier into the poison pit/fire or pull the enemy into your group of teammates for an easier kill (I usually aim for Jedi Knight/Juggernaut since they have no knock back/escape skills that I know of). Our mobility is extremely good with Jet Charge and combine it with 50% slow from Ion Gas Cylinder/Grappling Hook, we can stay on top of any target we want to.

I has always gotten the most medals and top the chart (9 medals most of the time), but I haven't really focused on PvP as much as I should. My damage output is around 60-80% of the top damage player. It's by far the most fun PvP I've had in a while. Again, this is all my opinions.

I'll chime in here as well. I never intended to be pvping with a tank spec, but I've found it to be fantastic. My PT is level 40, and I routinely run warzones with 1 assassin and 1 heal spec operative.

With so many tanking abilities having uses in pvp I'm finding it hard to actually switch to my planned AP build now. Obviously the trade off is my own damage, but I've always preferred survivability over glass cannons in pvp games. The Shieldtech tree is offering that in spades.

I totally agree.

Tried Advanced Prototype for a bit and it didn't work well for me.

Shield Tech keeps you alive to almost do more damage than a DPS spec.

Very good Imo, great survivability. Exceptional in Huttball.

I'm going a 33/3/5 build.

Even for PvE it's pretty strong- Just run with Gault.

What would your skill map calculator look like - just curious - http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/bounty_hunter/powertech/

trying to see what i should do with mine and yours sounds like fun

For level 36:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGbbRror.1

Good spec all around for me for both PvE and PvP. I focus a lot on survival hence why I'm going deep into the Shieldtech tree. At level 50, it should look like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGdbRrogzZMcbM.1

The longer I survive, the more damage I will take from guarding people. There's a medal where you guard X amount of damage in one life. So far I only got to 10k maximum (two medals, at 5k and 10k). Your Grappling Hook also lose 10 seconds on cooldown so more people dying in fire/poison pit.

An alternatives of more damage would be: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGbbRboZZbIbrzh.1

Giving up all defensive talents for more damage. Another route would be picking up Puncture instead of Prototype Particle Accelerator for the massive armor pen for Rail Shot (more burst but less sustain). Watch your health when you guard your team since you won't be able to take much beating on you plus the extra damage from guard (or you can just cancel Guard).

Edited by Trungalung

Quick question - why do so many skip Rebraced Armor (+16% armor with 2 points)? I would have thought for a tank/survival build, more armor is good. Or is there cap/curve involved that makes it lackluster?

At 50, one point from Rebraced Armor with good gears equals to about 1.5% damage reduction (does not apply to elemental and internal) and less below 50. Don't quote me on this however since I'm not really sure. For my spec, I could max it out by sacrificing 1 point or 3% aim from Steely Resolve.

Another thing a lot of powertechs forget.... most people are total noobs in the Warzones and will focus target the Powertechs thinking we're Mercs with Heals... being Tank Spec with Ion Gas Cylinder up means I can take a ton of damage, especially if I pop energy shield. Leaving my group and healers free to take them out.