Episode VII - Lucas and stuff...

Athrandiel

So i was wondering why ppl hatin on Lucas...

-He invented SW

-He made every single awesome thing about it come to life

so with these 2 opening statements i would like some reason why u hate him guys..

And pls refrain from saying he is money hungry cuz money hungry ppl dont give all money to charity that he gained by selling franchise to disney..

ALSO why u hatin on disney and the franchise...

IMHO disney is multi billion company able to produce bes movies in terms of SF and in colab with Lucas, JJ Abrams and considering these factors i think episode 7 should be a hella good movie..

Just wondering what u guys are pondering on this :p

cheers!!

Andengels

Is this a troll?

Seriously,i don"t see the point of such kind if post.

If we all play a SW game is because in some ways we all admire Lucas fictional's creation.

Well u obv dont read similar threads where Lucas and the disney merger are heavily attacked

I don't hate him and I'm also looking forwardto the next SW installment.

I think a lot of people have reservations about SW going to Disney due to Disney having a track record that is primarily focused on films aimed at children and are therefore worried that any new films might be child-centric rather than aimed at the long-term (adult) followers? Thats just a guess, of course.

On the other hand, Disney make wonderful fantastical movies and this might be a chance for them to reach out to an older audience as opposed to dumbing the series down for a younger audience. I would also hope that the producers (or whoever) looks at the very strong online role-playing communities of the different Star Wars games - there are tons of excellent characters and on-going stories both in game and on the various blogs etc. There is a wealth of fan-made content surrounding the Star Wars and I really hope the the makers of the new films will realise, appreciate and conect with that and NOT use the series as a vehicle, just to make money.

Edited by Toxxo

Honestly,

What people are too dumb to realize... if Disney took over this IP, it would be the BEST thing to happen to it. They are 350% about customer service and satisfaction. They actually talk to their customers. They go out of their way to make sure the masses by and large, have a wholesome, satisfying experience.

Honestly,

What people are too dumb to realize... if Disney took over this IP, it would be the BEST thing to happen to it. They are 350% about customer service and satisfaction. They actually talk to their customers. They go out of their way to make sure the masses by and large, have a wholesome, satisfying experience.

This,i totally agree with him

Honestly,

paritally this. While I do think Disney is the best thing for Star Wars and I am very happy they are making new movies I don't agree with the rest of it.

Yes there was a time where Disney really cared about their customers however for the past year Iger has ruined that. He and his underlings beleive in the "Blue Ocean" philosphy of business which is a HORRIBLE idea.

They don't beleive in building new parks or really in that many rides. They believe that the attendance in Orlando is at it's maximum even though attendence at Universal, Sea World and Legoland all have gone up.

They spent 2 billion on the worst idea ever the Fast Pass plus which is failing hard. 2 billion could have built 2 new parks.

They honestly beleive that no one can compete with Disney. Meanwhile Universal has seen it's attendance numbers rival Disny and is putting 1.5 billion dollars of new rides in its parks and there are rumors of them building a third park.

They also don't even bother with standard maintainence. For example in the Magic Kingdom on Splash Mountain the "Laughing Place" scene has been broken for the past 5 years even though its gone down for maintainence at lest 4 times.

How many people remember Pleasure Island? It was part of downtown Disney it had all these really cool clubs. Did you know it had the most profitible night clubs in the entire US? Well Iger thought they could make more money so they shut all the clubs down. Guess what? As soon as the clubs shut down no one wanted to build there becuase htere was no foot traffic. For the past 6 years Pleasure Island has been empty.

But i digress.

Edited by jarjarloves

cool discussion..

i agree with u guys... and plus to add... lucas said he already wrote episode 1-12... now completely but laid grounds for it... also J J Abrams is a director who IMO really cares about fantasy universe esspecially this big as star wars...

Also lucas is still in colab with disney on this.. so this might be really really good..

One more notice... Empire Strikes Back was best SW movie IMO so considering that it wasnt neither directed or screenplayed by Lucas i have high hopes for this one...

Expect the best, and plan for worst - no dissapointment :p

So i was wondering why people are hating on Lucas...

-He invented SW

-He made every single awesome thing about it come to life

With these statements, i would like to know why you hate him.

My troll-o-meter is blinking between orange and red right now, but I'll bite with one word:

midichlorians

My troll-o-meter is blinking between orange and red right now, but I'll bite with one word:

midichlorians

Then your trollometer is wrong.... i can clearly see u know little of star wars universe... if u knew u would also know that like 35-45% of STAR WARS FANS hate G Lucas... and all reasons i heard are preety darn stupid..

I never actually hated Lucas because, as you stated, he brought the Star Wars Universe to us and through a lot of opposition at the beginning. That being said, I think he lost his way with the Prequels as he surrounded himself by individuals who were too frightened to stand-up to his suggestions. A perfect example of this is seen on the Making of Phantom Menace documentary when they are screen-testing for the role of Anakin Skywalker. There was another young actor there that seemed to really hit his marks AND looked like he could be related to Luke Skywalker. Most of the people there at the screen-test really liked this actor over Jake Lloyd but because Lucas wanted Jake they all changed their answers immediately to what Lucas's answer was and BOOM, we had Jake Lloyd.

It's a small example, but you could really get the sense that Lucas wasn't wanting to change anything he had set in his mind and made sure those around him automatically agreed with him. I think Lucas was just too tired of Star Wars after Phantom Menace received mix reviews but he trudged on to complete what he started. It was the best thing for Star Wars for Lucas to hand it over to those who have that fire and excitement about the franchise such as those at Disney Studios.

Disney will bring a new life into the franchise that is sorely needed. Lucas can now retire and Star Wars won't suffer for it. I am looking forward to what is to come for Star Wars under Disney.

i can clearly see u know little of star wars universe... if u knew u would also know that like 35-45% of STAR WARS FANS hate G Lucas... and all reasons i heard are preety darn stupid..
Attempting to use a boring cliche like "your Force is nothing but particles in your blood!" is plenty reason to lose faith in Lucas. He established the Force as one thing in the original trilogy, and then tried to be "deep" by doing the midichlorian thing. Everyone I knew who saw The Phantom Menace was simply irate at him doing something so blatantly unoriginal (because it falls under the disprove religion trope) while totally spitting in the face of what the original trilogy established. There's plenty of terrible examples, like the whole "there is no father" bit for Anakin and Padme's thing about being elected queen (poor attempt at a parallel with what we consider modern government).

Someone once said that the reason Star Wars was incredible back in 1977 was because Lucas knew he was making a movie about spaceships, robots and laser swords. In two decades his view of himself changed into some attempted "genius" producer/director and it shows in the prequel trilogy, when in reality it should have still been treated as a movie about spaceships, robots and laser swords.

Edited by Estriga

stolen from cracked.com

"Here's the general pop culture consensus on George Lucas: He sucks now, but he once wrote and directed the first Star Wars trilogy, which makes him another innovative, rebellious filmmaker whose creative fire has tragically guttered out.

But here's the truth: Lucas couldn't lose it because he never had it.

Who Actually Deserves the Credit:

First things first: Lucas absolutely was the brilliant mastermind behind the Star Wars movie ... prequels. I through III? That was all Lucas. But IV through VI? The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were directed by Irv Kershner and Richard Marquand, respectively, and both screenplays were written by Lawrence Kasdan. But that still leaves Lucas as the writer/director of Episode IV, right? That's the big one: The Star Wars that put the "Star Wars" in Star Wars.

But A New Hope wasn't entirely Lucas, either: A fellow USC film grad, Gary Kurtz, who first collaborated with Lucas on his breakthrough film, American Graffiti, was producer for both Star Wars and Empire. Kurtz did more than an ordinary producer, however: Beyond running the day-to-day operations of the films, Kurtz also ended up coaching the actors (which is, technically speaking, the director's job).

Even minor characters like C-3PO weren't the juice of Lucas' mindgrapes. Lucas originally wanted 3PO to be an "oily, car salesman type" rather than our lovably gay robot butler friend. If that character archetype sounds familiar, that's because Lucas would later get his sleazy salesman in The Phantom Menace, in the shape of the flying anti-Semitic stereotype, Watto. The actually likeable, not-racist version of C-3PO that we know today was largely thanks to Anthony Daniels. Daniels was originally hired as just a mime inside the gold suit, with someone else providing the voice-over. But actor Stan Freberg convinced Lucas to not use a different voice and stick with Daniels -- which is particularly remarkable since Freberg was one of the actors considered to replace Daniels' voice. That's right: A struggling actor actually had to step up and sacrifice his own livelihood just to kill one of Lucas' terrible ideas."