Was I Ninja'd?

KBerling

Playing through a flashpoint, the same guy got every single loot item. I always rolled "greed" right away but how do I know what he was rolling. The feedback just showed that he got the loot everytime as far as I could notice and it didn't indicate whether he rolled need or greed.

Thanks for helping a noob..

Greed loses to Need every time and beats pass every time. You can scroll up in the chat window to see who chose what on each item (should say: Person selected Need for item x or something) then show the rolls (Person 1 rolled 43 on item x, person 2 rolled 76 on item x). It will only roll for the highest selection, so if one person needs and everyone else greeds it will only roll for the one needer, but if all roll need then it will roll once for each person with the highest getting the item.

If an item drops that you wanna use select need (if you are a warrior and a str lightsaber drops for example), otherwise you should greed it (for companions or to sell). Thats just general etiquette though no hard rule and some people just need roll everything out of selfishness so be prepared for that (though they will still need to out roll you if you both select need to win the item).

Edited by Athena-Nike

Playing through a flashpoint, the same guy got every single loot item. I always rolled "greed" right away but how do I know what he was rolling. The feedback just showed that he got the loot everytime as far as I could notice and it didn't indicate whether he rolled need or greed.

Thanks for helping a noob..

For future purpose the word ninja'd does not apply to this game, please use the reference Was I Jawa'd

:jawa_tongue:

I don't know why hitting Need for companions isn't allowed, it's still putting the gear to a legitimate use on that person's character, but I guess that rule was necessary. Otherwise everyone would use it as an excuse to Need for everything...and Companions aren't used in HM/Ops anyway...meh.

I don't know why hitting Need for companions isn't allowed, it's still putting the gear to a legitimate use on that person's character, but I guess that rule was necessary. Otherwise everyone would use it as an excuse to Need for everything...and Companions aren't used in HM/Ops anyway...meh.

The reason it's rude to roll need on something for your companion is because someone else might need that armor/weapon/whatever for their character. You can see why that would make people unhappy. What if you wanted something for your char, then rolled need but someone else rolled need too and got it and they just went on to sell it or use on companion?

ETA: The best system would be where you can't roll need on an item unless it has your primary stat (Aim, Strength, etc.). So need would be greyed out for you on something you can't use, but you'd still be able to choose greed, but a person who can actually use that item would take priority.

Edited by LostInReverie

The reason it's rude to roll need on something for your companion is because someone else might need that armor/weapon/whatever for their character. You can see why that would make people unhappy. What if you wanted something for your char, then rolled need but someone else rolled need too and got it and they just went on to sell it or use on companion?

I'm sorry, but the hypothetical explanations I thought up in my previous post make a lot more sense to me than the one you just proposed. A companion's gear isn't for playing dress-up-doll, it's an essential part of every player's combat effectiveness. It doesn't seem fair to compare giving a powerful item to a companion with vendoring it to a shop. Player 1 wants to equip a lightsaber to himself; Player 2 wants to equip it to his companion. Both players' combat effectiveness will increase regardless of which one won the roll. What's the difference?

A good reason could be "because companions are practically never used in Hard Mode Flashpoints and high-level play; powerful gear is wasted on them". But telling people that rolling for companions is bad because they're just companions isn't going to convince them of anything...

Edited by Darkness_Squall

For future purpose the word ninja'd does not apply to this game, please use the reference Was I Jawa'd

:jawa_tongue:

15 point penalty for using the word Jawa as a verb. :ph_lol:

But more on topic; items should be needed if it's an upgrade to your current gear. If you "need" it for your companion, you should say so BEFORE clicking. Then if there are no objections, go ahead.

There's been some debate back and forth in my raid team about the ranking of companions vs alts.

(Legacy gear has made it possible to vault a couple of my alts into raid-ready status as soon as they hit 50)

Edited by JacksonMo

Since each class gets 5 companions, there are few items that would not be applicable for either the PC or a companion.

Say I'm running a FP on my IA/Sniper. First item drop is Medium with Cunning and is better than I am wearing, so I Need. The next item is Heavy with Aim. "Oh, Kaliyo can use that!" Need again. Next item is Light with Willpower. "I haven't upgraded Vector's armor in a while." Need. Finally, Medium with Strength. "OK, no one can use that." Greed.

ETA: The best system would be where you can't roll need on an item unless it has your primary stat (Aim, Strength, etc.). So need would be greyed out for you on something you can't use, but you'd still be able to choose greed, but a person who can actually use that item would take priority.

Agree with this.

Actually I almost 100% agree with you. The only thing I would say is that if you are going to lock need based on usefulness to the Player Character, there should also be a Companion Need as well.

You would have to select a Primary Companion prior to the Flashpoint/Operation.... that you can't change until you leave the group. Then it would work very similar to the way the Player one would work. If you select Kaliyo, and a Aim Chestplate drops, you can Companion need on it, but if a Light Willpower one drops, you can't change to Vector real quick to get the loot.

I seem to remember that WoW has a similar system nowadays. And from what I recall it works.

Well you've answered your own question. Since we get so many companions all with different stats. There won't be much gear you can't use. And lets be fair. It's very easy to upgrade your companions without having to resort on need rolling on FP drops. After upgrading my own gear, I use remaining commendations to upgrade my companions gear. Through mods etc. Even if you don't have the very latest in use for you companions. For solo it won't matter that much. Your companions can still pretty much handle several mobs their level at the same time. I know my Risha does. I toss her a few heals every now and then, and she'll goes happily on a killing spree.