Hood Up/Hood Down Toggle

NeoWolf

I realise this is probably technically not as simple as it sounds but with regard to sith/jedi and even smuggler agent gear a Hood up/Hood down toggle for those armors with hoods would be REALLY nice, rather than having to have a different armour entirely that is hood up or down when such is even available (which for most it isnt), an armor either is or isn't..which is kind of poor.

One thing you can do, is find a head armor piece that forces the hood down. Then you can use the "Hide Head Slot" checkbox as your hood toggle. It depends whether you wear Medium Armor or Heavy Armor, but there do exist some of each that force the hood down. I'm not sure about Light Armor ...

And actually, it should be technically easy as pie to add a "Hood Toggle" feature. It already removes the hood cleanly if you equip certain head armors.

Edited by anonnn

appearantly this very easy task might as well be rocket science for the bioware team.

... and if you take a look at the Character Sheet's "Customize Appearance" panel, right where the "Hide Head Slot" checkbox is located, there's TONS of room for more checkboxes!

A covert helmet would definitely be nice... and since it's Adaptive Armor, it would work for everyone and would be purchasable on the Cartel Market and thus the GTN.

While the "real" solution would be a checkbox for "Hide Hood", this would be a decent solution for a lot of people, and is probably a much more non-disruptive implementation.

Along with this, I'd like to see a configurable key-press setting in the Preferences for Hide Head Slot!

Edited by anonnn

• 2 weeks later...

I'd think some people, when they think of a hood toggle, would like it to come over their helmet (like hoods work with Revan's Mask and the Executioner Mask) instead of having one or the other. This could be what BW is trying to do, though I also think it probably could have been done sooner than the 2 years that it has nearly been, I'd assume there are quite a few clipping issues with this (if Revan's Mask upon first release was any indication).

Personally, I hope this is how they're going about it. I'd love to be able to toggle the hood on the old BM heavy chestpiece for jugs and have the mask under it (i.e. Marauder style) and it's a little unfair from my perspective that I'd be forced to role a Marauder in order to get this look without hindering myself as a jug.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Hope you all have a nice day! :)

EDIT: They'd also probably like to have all the hoods that are currently hanging on the back of all "hood down" chestpieces removed when the hood is toggled on.

Edited by Kolai_Tak

• 4 weeks later...

We (the community) have asked for this since the game launched. We used to get some half handed "we're working on it" and "coming soon" then they stopped even mentioning it. I figure they're just saving it for something they can put in one of their online store lotto boxes.

As others have said, the ability for the hood to be removed has been in the game from the beginning. So I have no idea why a simple toggle is beyond their ability to create even with the near skeleton staff that EA reduced them to.

I love my Guardian's Jedi Battlelord's robe set, but I hate that hood. I only like hoods on my Sith chars.

I think it's not been specifically mentioned, that there's a big difference between removing the hood, and genuinely putting the hood down. There are both Medium and Heavy headpieces that remove the hood, which is a good solution if you just want to be able to see your head and face.

It would be REALLY nice to be able to genuinely put the hood down, so that the hood is still seen but is draped across your back. The full bells-and-whistles would be an animation whenever you toggle your hood up/down, where your character uses one hand to push the hood down, or pull the hood back up.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I wonder - with the "Temple Guardian's Robe" we see the dev team working on that thing actively - as it's no longer a "present/removed" system like with the old cloaks, but it actually features a "hood down" model.

Only issue I've is - it disables the hair on the characters, but due to the hood being so "open" - it makes your non-bald characters/companions look...well, let's just say it's strange. :p

I've found it problematic to find some unobtrusive headgear, that would toggle the hood down position and not really cover the face too much - especially hard for a light armor wearing rep companion, as apparently all the old circlets have been made to work with "hood up", and the only one left is "consular only" (kind of stupid the companions don't fall into those classes, or those class restrictions aren't removed alltogether.

Anyway, back on topic. My question would be (hopefully - if some dev happens to walk across this thread): would it be possible to add for you some sort of "covert energy" helmet, which would allow you to have the head fully visible, but would work as a "hood down position enforcer" for the, apparently, new line of robes/cloaks?

I wonder - with the "Temple Guardian's Robe" we see the dev team working on that thing actively - as it's no longer a "present/removed" system like with the old cloaks, but it actually features a "hood down" model.

Only issue I've is - it disables the hair on the characters, but due to the hood being so "open" - it makes your non-bald characters/companions look...well, let's just say it's strange. :p

I've found it problematic to find some unobtrusive headgear, that would toggle the hood down position and not really cover the face too much - especially hard for a light armor wearing rep companion, as apparently all the old circlets have been made to work with "hood up", and the only one left is "consular only" (kind of stupid the companions don't fall into those classes, or those class restrictions aren't removed alltogether.

Anyway, back on topic. My question would be (hopefully - if some dev happens to walk across this thread): would it be possible to add for you some sort of "covert energy" helmet, which would allow you to have the head fully visible, but would work as a "hood down position enforcer" for the, apparently, new line of robes/cloaks?

They can make a hood-down headpiece that appears like a hood on your neck (would fit most robes without back attachments w/o clipping) and forces the hood up off, like certain headgear.

I am wholly in favor of this. I posted a similar idea over on the other Hood Toggle thread. It might not be something that makes everyone happy, but it's better than nothing at all. Since they said they're not actively working on the hood toggle, I think this is about the best we can expect for now. It has the benefit of being something that will take, literally, zero design work from the artists.

How do we get a dev to take a look at this idea and see if we can get this item?

Hey ev'ry1, I posted a request for hoods 2 B added as active armour pieces on the armor wishlist...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7395231#post7395231

... I know it is not a hood toggle but it has the potential to solve most, if not all, issues with hood toggle as I asked 4 hoods in both the up and down position, as well as the ability 2 add a hood 2 whatever armour U like:) so please quote my post on the wishlist and sign, we might actually be able 2 at least get a substitute 2 tide us over until a real hood toggle is introduced:)

One thing you can do, is find a head armor piece that forces the hood down. Then you can use the "Hide Head Slot" checkbox as your hood toggle. It depends whether you wear Medium Armor or Heavy Armor, but there do exist some of each that force the hood down. I'm not sure about Light Armor ...

And actually, it should be technically easy as pie to add a "Hood Toggle" feature. It already removes the hood cleanly if you equip certain head armors.

The only thing I don't like about this "work around" is that the hood is completely gone and not draped down your character's back. Also, there are some masks that I think would look freakin' awesome with the hood up.... Like Lord Kallig's mask....

• 7 months later...
I've desperately wanted a toggle hood up/down button since day one, but I don't want a covert helmet piece because it would probably take the hood out entirely. I love the hood. I just want to see it down. Not completely gone. The supreme inquistors robe would look amazing if hood was down. GIVE US WHAT WE WANT, BIOWARE!!!