Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Agreed and you could make it work, since he is not 100% needed for class storylines and stuff.

No he's not, not at all. And melee DPS are pretty common as companions *rubs hands together* yes, yes...

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he's not, not at all. And melee DPS are pretty common as companions *rubs hands together* yes, yes...

Tatile, I love the way you think... If only so it encourages me to keep writing my fanfic. Go Cytharat as companion! :D

If they are human, they need to sell Appearance Customizations that could change them into different races (same as player races at least, and a Torguta or Nautolan for the male one, 'cause it is very uneven right now - there is basically every race and a Togruta available for a male player to chose from, but 7 humans + the only ugly Cathar in the Galaxy for a female player). Or open up all the romances for both sexes, at least. Some of them are quite generic, so won't really suffer much. Of course the golden dream are carefully and lovingly crafted ones...

Reminds me of Daniel Erickson joking about that Korriban storyline, when lightside players gave the artefact they collected for their trial to a weaker apprentice, then complained about having to go all the way back to the tomb to get another for themselves. :rolleyes:

But now we have at least one companion of each role, that reason doesn't really apply anymore? While I have no sympathy for people who complained about the example you gave -- I mean, what were they expecting to happen? Plus, I'd have jumped at that option -- I can understand Bioware just not wanting to deal with the aggro, but are people really going to complain about not having two healers (or whatever roles new companions may take)?

Yes, but they are not going to go back and retroactively make it so you can kill storyline companions or any such thing. It's just not something they are going to do. But yes, there were many things idiots complained about in beta that changed in detriment to the story IMO... for example, Jedi Knight end spoiler... you've been warned...

In beta if you were Light Side Knight, then Satele Shan promoted you to Master Jedi and you got the "Master" title. IF you were a Dark Jedi, she instead says your methods are highly suspect and she can't in good faith promote you to Master Jedi, then they Republic reminds you that you are still General of the Jedi Forces and you get the "General" title. Similar thing was done with Consulars, Warriors, Inquisitors, every class had a unique Light/Dark title. However, people complained "OMG YOU ARE PUNISHING ME FOR BEING DARK... " um Yeah they are cause the council would never knowingly promote a dark Jedi to Master... "NOOO YOU SHOULDN'T PUNISH US... WE WANT OUR MASTER TITLE!!!" SO Bioware listened to the whiners, they removed all of the 'dark side' titles and now even though Satele Shan and the Republic guy still say the above, you get the Master title regardless. As much as I want them to, they will never remove the Master title from my sentinel and give her General instead. Just like they aren't going to rewrite the stories to let us kill companions, as much I want them to let me throw a certain warrior companion out the airlock during a hyperspace jump.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

Yes, but they are not going to go back and retroactively make it so you can kill storyline companions or any such thing. It's just not something they are going to do. But yes, there were many things idiots complained about in beta that changed in detriment to the story IMO... for example, Jedi Knight end spoiler... you've been warned...

In beta if you were Light Side Knight, then Satele Shan promoted you to Master Jedi and you got the "Master" title. IF you were a Dark Jedi, she instead says your methods are highly suspect and she can't in good faith promote you to Master Jedi, then they Republic reminds you that you are still General of the Jedi Forces and you get the "General" title. Similar thing was done with Consulars, Warriors, Inquisitors, every class had a unique Light/Dark title. However, people complained "OMG YOU ARE PUNISHING ME FOR BEING DARK... " um Yeah they are cause the council would never knowingly promote a dark Jedi to Master... "NOOO YOU SHOULDN'T PUNISH US... WE WANT OUR MASTER TITLE!!!" SO Bioware listened to the whiners, they removed all of the 'dark side' titles and now even though Satele Shan and the Republic guy still say the above, you get the Master title regardless. As much as I want them to, they will never remove the Master title from my sentinel and give her General instead. Just like they aren't going to rewrite the stories to let us kill companions, as much I want them to let me throw a certain warrior companion out the airlock during a hyperspace jump.

Never is a very long time, you know... And if you are so sure it's never going to happen then what would you like to see as a SGR companion?

Never is a very long time, you know... And if you are so sure it's never going to happen then what would you like to see as a SGR companion?

An original and well thought out character given the same respect as the standard storyline ones, not a potentially kill-able side character from an expansion. That's the real problem with Cytherat as our option... what if my hypothetical ruthless gay Powertech felt the best thing to do was let him die? So, either I don't get this new companion, or they retcon my story that I didn't kill him? But I did. That's why I say better to make a new, original, and complete character from scratch than using an already existing side character.

As for the titles thing, I'm part of a thread still trying to convince them to bring back all the titles they removed at launch (so far our only success is Paladin of House Organa and Imperial Scholar but then again, that IS some progress, so maybe there IS hope...) so maybe someday I'll get General, but I'm not holding my breath and at this point, I for sure can say they won't be removing Master when they give me General, as while I would be okay with that, so many players would not... removing something like that is just bad form.

Yes, but they are not going to go back and retroactively make it so you can kill storyline companions or any such thing. It's just not something they are going to do.

I never said they would, just that we should (in theory) be able to kill off any future companions with impunity - or miss out on them because we already killed them in this case - now that we have at least one companion of each role.

Maybe they can reinstitute dying companions, and then have a vendor that resells access to them. Anyone who cares about RPing will find the vendor too abhorrent to visit, and you can go back to feeling like your choices actually matter in regards to these character moments but then later if they feel like buying the companion back, they can.

[quote name='AbsolutGrndZero'] That's the real problem with Cytherat as our option... what if my hypothetical ruthless gay Powertech felt the best thing to do was let him die? So, either I don't get this new companion, or they retcon my story that I didn't kill him? But I did. That's why I say better to make a new, original, and complete character from scratch than using an already existing side character. [/QUOTE] There is a difference between letting him die / leaving him to die and him actually ending up getting killed / not surviving Edited by Preston_Violent

..Okay Bioware. I have had to jump through literally 5 different "This thread has maxed out at 1000+ posts so it has been recreated here" posts just to find this latest thread. Whatever happened to "Oh yeah, we're definitely going to work on same sex romance options post-launch don't worry!" That was your plan right? Well this is pretty darned post launch and you didn't follow through. This is the kind of attitude that has forced your game into F2P to begin with. You decide delivery is a little too much, so you don't deliver, and people call you on it, then they leave. Maybe come back and dabble for a couple of months, but they don't stay because they know you don't follow through. Disappointing. This obviously isn't a small or rare issue, either, but large enough you've had to close countless threads over it.

Edit: ..You know, it just occurred to me that one of the high end affection conversations with Elara (Musta been around 8k, 9kish?) literally has her telling me that I should have kids and be a mom. For some reason, considering all of our complaints so far, this suddenly strikes me as hilarious.

Edited by Purrversion

There is a difference between letting him die / leaving him to die and him actually ending up getting killed / not surviving

Oh, yeah I'm sure he survived. In fact, I was trapped in a lava filled room just last week. (Yes, I know he's a Sith and I know it's fiction. But, it's established that if you kill him, he's dead. Could they? Yes, they could but it would be a retcon none the less.)

Put it this way, as long as you getting Cytherat retconned doesn't interfere with them also creating a completely original new romance companion, then that's cool. But, can you really say you would rather have Cytherat than someone completely original? I honestly didn't really care much when my bounty hunter left him because I didn't really care... So he was the first ever gay male in SWtOR? Is that why he's so interesting? Cause, otherwise he was just kinda meh.

Oh, yeah I'm sure he survived. In fact, I was trapped in a lava filled room just last week. (Yes, I know he's a Sith and I know it's fiction. But, it's established that if you kill him, he's dead. Could they? Yes, they could but it would be a retcon none the less.)

Put it this way, as long as you getting Cytherat retconned doesn't interfere with them also creating a completely original new romance companion, then that's cool. But, can you really say you would rather have Cytherat than someone completely original? I honestly didn't really care much when my bounty hunter left him because I didn't really care... So he was the first ever gay male in SWtOR? Is that why he's so interesting? Cause, otherwise he was just kinda meh.

Well, part of the sith warrior class quests is

meeting an npc on Hoth who survived for a very long time being trapped in a cave or something and the only thing that had been sustaining him was the Force. Pretty much the same situation, only that it wasn't lava hot, it was Hoth cold there. He should have died but he didn't, Baras felt his presence through the Force and, if I'm not mistaken, once your character obtains Baras' old lightsaber which that Jedi took from him, he (Baras) manages to locate that cave.

Cytharat could have surrounded himself with some force barrier and survive, who knows...you know, you thought you killed

Kephess in EC, but no...you thought you killed all of the dread masters and then meet one of them in the final oricon quest cutscene...

Here it's just a longer time difference till you find out he managed to survive and a rescue expedition eventually got him out of there once the fight for Makeb was finished and republic forces left the system thinking the planet is doomed.

As for your second point, the thing about Cytharat is that he's an already existing character who's personality was very warmly accepted by those who'd like him as a companion. He is interesting because he is interesting and the fact that he's gay makes him a perfect (first) companion of this kind. Not only for imperial classes actually, I can see him joining a republican character just as well, say, a smuggler or sage meets him on Makeb while he's doing some sort of post-research and manages to persuade him. In fact, if he was left to die initially, it might be even easier to. But regardless, he's still the "already-tested" and "approved" by (most) players candidate for this companion role.

Someone completely original, sure why not, at some point later. But why throw away what's already there and what's been asked for and requested for really quite a while.

Edited by Preston_Violent

Um because the John died. OH BUT LOOK JOHN SURVIVED thing is already a cliche as hell trope before this game, the fact that they do it in this game so much is bad enough (you mention the Sith Warrior guy on Hoth, but you could also just as easily mention the Sith Warrior Him/Herself... and a bounty hunter companion, and oh there is another guy in the Sith Warrior story (Baras's other apprentice)... and really at least half of the class stories have some person thought to be dead turns up alive... it's the one gripe I have about this game, that trope is just tired and old even if it's possible with the Force, it's like everybody does it.

Um because the John died. OH BUT LOOK JOHN SURVIVED thing is already a cliche as hell trope before this game, the fact that they do it in this game so much is bad enough (you mention the Sith Warrior guy on Hoth, but you could also just as easily mention the Sith Warrior Him/Herself... and a bounty hunter companion, and oh there is another guy in the Sith Warrior story (Baras's other apprentice)... and really at least half of the class stories have some person thought to be dead turns up alive... it's the one gripe I have about this game, that trope is just tired and old even if it's possible with the Force, it's like everybody does it.

Dying ultimately on

Quesh would make the sith warrior class playable till level's 30-40 and then it's over because you get killed by a Baras' apprentice.

That would hardly work, wouldn't it? Getting a companion killed as it was in beta, in theory would be an interesting option on live servers, however, emotional decisions like

"I hate Malavai Quinn, I choose the dark option to kill him"

eventually proved to have a lot less satisfying long-term consequences. But for starters, I'd like to first actually get Cytharat in my crew as a full-time companion and then decide what to do with him :)

BW tried something like that in Mass Effect 3, lots of drama (too much drama as there was in the leaked script), Shepard dying in most scenarios...and as you probably know, an overall good game was destroyed single-handedly by its own ending because people generally prefer happy endings :D

Edited by Preston_Violent

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's easy to forget sometimes.

If I didn't already know it all from beta it would have been spoiled in general chat 1000 times over... seriously annoys me and I always complain, and basically get told the game is 2 years old there is no such thing as spoilers anymore because it's all on YouTube. :mad:

As to what was said in the spoilers, Yes I realize that.. but the point remains that a LOT of characters in this game are thought to have died in some inescapable death trap and miraculously survive... it's a completely overused trope already, so what the hell, lets' add 10 no wait 100 more characters to the trope, why not?

*reads all of this*

Personally, I don't care about the trope... and always a possibility they pull a KOTOR. Juhani was optional to your crew, since she could die or you could spare her, so it can be the same with companions. After all, if ************ and complaining overtly ALWAYS worked then this thread wouldn't be here caused we'd have same sex romances in the game.

Well, Tatile... if you want sometime done right, you do it yourself. Maybe we should kickstart a SGR Star Wars MMO? :D ;P

All it is is various same-gender romances in space.

Lightsabres might be involved. Definitely all the species. You could even kiss a wookie.

All it is is various same-gender romances in space.

Lightsabres might be involved. Definitely all the species. You could even kiss a wookie.

So long as it means my sniper gets to make out, and make love, to Lord Cytharat for hours unend... I'm down. :D

• 1 month later...