Level 35 PT Pyro; I hate this class; seriously considering rerolling.

JediTrials

I play as a level 35 Pyro, and my brother is a Sniper.

We fight the same thing, and my companion and I die all the time, with the boss at half health.

When he fights this, he kills it, with both his companion and his toon almost at full health.

It's frustrating for me to use this class, I am absolutely getting obliterated.

I even tried both the tanking tree, and the pyro tree; but to no avail! I get slaughtered!

-------------

I'm considering either going with a Sniper, or an Assassin DPS or Assassin Tank.

My questions are: Should I force myself to play this class to level 50, or should I roll an alt. And which alt should I roll?:rak_02:

Edited by JediTrials
Clarification.

I'm just not going to sugar coat it.

You are playing the easiest class in the game. I don't know what you are doing wrong.

Which companion are you using? You should use Mako, as she will keep you healed. Also, make sure she has some sort of level relevant gear.

Have you been repairing your gear? Because if not, then yes, you will die a lot faster. Also, make sure your gear is of a relevant level.

What rotation are you using? Are you constantly full heat? Are you using your interrupt and stun?

It's you. I have a mid-20s Pyro (forget exact level, he's on the shelf for now while I level another) and he leaves a trail of dead, smoldering bodies in his wake all day long.

Is this your first character and/or first MMO? My Sentinel was my first and I had never played an MMO before. I died a lot before level 30ish, then I got the hang of it.

Does your brother perhaps just do a better job of keeping up with gear? Have you asked him for advice? Have you perused the Powertech section of the forums for advice & tutorial write-ups on the class?

I say stick with it. You'll learn a lot and your next character will probably be a breeze.

I don't know what you are doing wrong.

That makes two of us.

Which companion are you using? .

Mako. And she's struggling to keep up. I'll die, even though she's on medwatch, constantly healing me.

Have you been repairing your gear?

Yes, and remorselessly upgrading it.

What rotation are you using? Are you constantly full heat? Are you using your interrupt and stun?

I am using interrupt, and stun, yes.

Special Attacks: Rocketpunch, Railshot, Incendiary Missile

Base attack (generates almost no heat): Incendiary Missile > Rapid Shots (Combustible Gas Cylinder does extra elemental damage)

It's you. I have a mid-20s Pyro (forget exact level, he's on the shelf for now while I level another) and he leaves a trail of dead, smoldering bodies in his wake all day long.

This. I had no trouble leaving a trail of dead bodies, until I got to about level 30ish. Then for some reason, I just got slaughtered in warzones, and pve. The only thing I was good at was teamed flashpoints, and now I'm not so sure.

I find that it's a good class to play early on (top damage during my mid-20s), but mid level, is really underpowered, for some reason.

Is this your first character and/or first MMO?

I've played Runescape before, and no. I've made a few characters (Sith Marauder, Sith Inq, Merc, Jedi Consular, Smuggler) and leveled them up to level 15.

Does your brother perhaps just do a better job of keeping up with gear? Have you asked him for advice? Have you perused the Powertech section of the forums for advice & tutorial write-ups on the class?

I have asked him for advice, but he just tells me that he is playing a better class for DPS. And yes, I have perused the powertech section, many many many times. Reading pt guides are what convinced me to delete my merc, and go over to pt pyro.

I say stick with it. You'll learn a lot and your next character will probably be a breeze.

I'll try and grin and bear it. Thanks for your advice.

I noticed last night that Mako just stopped healing me. Flat out refused, even after I turned off her attack abilities should which just auto attack and not heal. Surprisingly, I desummoned my Tauntaun pet and she started healing again. I'm only level 25 though.

I also have a 50 Vanguard that I was leveling using the same spec (Assault). I did swap to tank spec, I can't remember if it was at at level 35 or 40 though. Heat's an issue, but with Elara out I just tanked everything to death. I also had a go of my friends mid 40's Pyro PT when I was at his house. He decked him out in epic mods for laughs, but even with that, 12K hps, and Mako healing he still takes a lot of damage from the mobs on Voss. He just kills them a lot faster. That could have been because I was pulling everything so fast though.

Special Attacks: Rocketpunch, Railshot, Incendiary Missile

Base attack (generates almost no heat): Incendiary Missile > Rapid Shots (Combustible Gas Cylinder does extra elemental damage)

Uh, why aren't you using flameburst?

Should be something like IM > Railshot > Flameburst > Railshot >etc. The IM isn't really even necessary nowadays.

No offense, but as was said earlier, you're playing the easiest class in the game. If you're having trouble as a pyro powertech, then maybe this isn't the game for you.

Uh, why aren't you using flameburst?

Should be something like IM > Railshot > Flameburst > Railshot >etc. The IM isn't really even necessary nowadays.

No offense, but as was said earlier, you're playing the easiest class in the game. If you're having trouble as a pyro powertech, then maybe this isn't the game for you.

Woops, I am using Flameburst. I meant to write flameburst instead of Incendiary Missile. I use Flameburst to activate the CGC on my Rapidshots, which makes Rapidshots very potent.

If you aren't having fun playing a class, chalk it up as a loss and re-roll. Not every player will be great at EVERY class they play, and the playstyle for certain classes just doesn't fit with every person who plays it. You might have a hard time with this class but be a natural as another. ToR is a game, you're supposed to have fun playing it! If you've gotten to level 35 and you still aren't having fun or hit your stride with the class, just re-roll. Edited by Zenotraxium

The problem is always gear. No matter what class, or companion, if you can't get through a fight, you have a gear problem. You should be wearing blues or purples (at or close to level) or orange with blue or purple inserts (also at level). Your offhand should be the same quality, as should your implants. Do this and you can play any class with any companion. Green is only okay for low levels, as rp gear, or if the game has started to feel too easy and you're rolling over bosses. Edited by errant_knight

This does happen at certain levels. If you are skipping through planets without doing the bonus missions you are missing out on some gear and some levels that you may need before taking on other worlds.

I'm an average player and so I usually make sure I'm several levels above whatever planet I'm about to start on just in case I find mobs a bit too tough. Doing space missions or just participating in pvp to get those extra few levels (not winning pvp cause I suck.. but just participating gets you the xp). :p

Either Powertech, Mercenary, Marauder or Juggernaut with healer companion are best for soloing bosses and whatnot. Assassin tanks are good but Inquisitors don't get their healer until Hoth ~lvl 40ish. Hunters get Mako at lvl 10 on the starter planet and Warriors get Quinn on Balmorra ~lvl 20ish. My main is a Rage Marauder in full custom purple gear with might augments and with Quinn she can kill anything. Edited by MorgonKara

If you aren't having fun playing a class, chalk it up as a loss and re-roll. Not every player will be great at EVERY class they play, and the playstyle for certain classes just doesn't fit with every person who plays it. You might have a hard time with this class but be a natural as another. ToR is a game, you're supposed to have fun playing it! If you've gotten to level 35 and you still aren't having fun or hit your stride with the class, just re-roll.

I may consider this, and just play around until lvl 20 on a few different classes. It's good advice.

looks like people telling you the same thing everyone on reddit told you, you're doing it wrong. PT is just as good if not better than a sniper.

Yep, the answers aren't too different. Thanks for your advice here, and on reddit.

The problem is always gear. No matter what class, or companion, if you can't get through a fight, you have a gear problem. You should be wearing blues or purples (at or close to level) or orange with blue or purple inserts (also at level). Your offhand should be the same quality, as should your implants. Do this and you can play any class with any companion. Green is only okay for low levels, as rp gear, or if the game has started to feel too easy and you're rolling over bosses.

This does happen at certain levels. If you are skipping through planets without doing the bonus missions you are missing out on some gear and some levels that you may need before taking on other worlds.

I'm an average player and so I usually make sure I'm several levels above whatever planet I'm about to start on just in case I find mobs a bit too tough. Doing space missions or just participating in pvp to get those extra few levels (not winning pvp cause I suck.. but just participating gets you the xp). :p

I think the problem is that I've been skipping huge chunks of planet quests, because at lower levels I was about 4-5 levels ahead of the planets that I was on (see CrazedMike's Leveling guide). I guess now, I'll have to work harder on gearing myself and my companion.

Either Powertech, Mercenary, Marauder or Juggernaut with healer companion are best for soloing bosses and whatnot. Assassin tanks are good but Inquisitors don't get their healer until Hoth ~lvl 40ish. Hunters get Mako at lvl 10 on the starter planet and Warriors get Quinn on Balmorra ~lvl 20ish. My main is a Rage Marauder in full custom purple gear with might augments and with Quinn she can kill anything.

I agree, but my brother (sniper) does a good job at soloing bosses, by using his companion as a tank.

-----------------------------

Thanks for the advice guys. I may as well get this toon to level 50 and/or at least try to recover.

Edited by JediTrials
added replies

Because your Mako is in such bad gear, you should gear her up better. You can either buy stuff on the GTN, from planet comm vendors if you have left over comms, and craft if you've been working on your crafting skill.

You've got two main defensive cooldowns, one which gives you 25% damage reduction and one which heals you, and in addition to these in solo PVE you've also got Heroic Moment. For medpacks, either buy some normal ones, or get some which heals both you and your companion (Biochem can craft them).

Use all of these defensive abilities in the middle of the fight when you need them.

You mentioned that Mako is in healing stance, but just to be sure, also check that all of her abilities are turned on (open the companion quickbar, make sure all abilities have the green box, if some abilities are not turned on, rightclick it to turn it on)

Also, almost every powerful boss in the game has some big attacks which you should interrupt, and it will make the fight a lot easier.

As level 35 PT DPS, you have your normal interrupt, your stun, and Grapple. Stuns and pulls work against most (all?) enemies in solo PVE. Look for what big casted or channeled abilities the enemy has, and interrupt them, don't waste your three interrupting abilities on anything else.

Another tactic is that in some fights, kiting and using LOS to your advantage works very well.

Lastly, have you tried tank spec? Might work well for you with Mako healing (that's how I leveled my Vanguard, PT mirror class). That'll also give you a fourth interrupt (Jet Charge).

I think the problem is that I've been skipping huge chunks of planet quests, because at lower levels I was about 4-5 levels ahead of the planets that I was on (see CrazedMike's Leveling guide).

Great advice if you want to waste time leveling to above where you're supposed to be and play the game on easy mode. ;) Everything in the game can be done at at least the level the game recommends, if you know the mechanics of the fight and are at least somewhat decently geared (both you and your companion).

Edited by Rassuro

I may consider this, and just play around until lvl 20 on a few different classes. It's good advice.

Yep, the answers aren't too different. Thanks for your advice here, and on reddit.

I think the problem is that I've been skipping huge chunks of planet quests, because at lower levels I was about 4-5 levels ahead of the planets that I was on (see CrazedMike's Leveling guide). I guess now, I'll have to work harder on gearing myself and my companion.

I agree, but my brother (sniper) does a good job at soloing bosses, by using his companion as a tank.

-----------------------------

Thanks for the advice guys. I may as well get this toon to level 50 and/or at least try to recover.

My main character is a sniper and I did have trouble levelling at times. I was an armourmech, so my tank companion was always reasonably geared. Still at some segments in the game I barely made it though fights. The tank always died and I survived with low health (Act I finale was sooo difficult for me. Died about 10 times). It got lot better more towards the end, though. I recommend you to stick with the character to the end an see how you're doing then. You might get better and enjoy it! ;)

What planet are you leveling on or what are the mob's level that you have trouble with? Because if you're level 35 and you're on Hoth,you're gonna have trouble with leveling regardless of class.

Also you mentioned that you skipped planet quests,so i think Mako or even your char may be undergeared.

While we are on the subject: I cant seem to be of much use as a PT (Tank) in PvP. Compared to my Sorc I get about 50% of the amount of medals.

So how to play a PT in PvP?

In two words: You Don't

The vast majority of a PT shieldtech defenses is passive migration which does not stop 90% of PvP damage. In effect, your shields are useless in PvP because tech / force attacks from other players go right through them. As a PT shieldtech myself, our class is the absolute worse PvP tank class. In PvE we are great though as NPC attacks are largely shield'able.

Some die hard tanks put on DPS spec armor for PvP... but honestly, for PTs, that’s a stupid move. Even changing cylinders your DPS sucks and without the heat management abilities of the pyro or AP trees you WILL over heat in record time....

Well, other than gear, *level* also matters. Doing all the quests and such, you should almost always be overleveled for the planet you're supposed to be on. You didn't mention whether or not your brother was the same level fighting the same enemy.

And yeah, greens are the new grey. In TOR, you should pretty much always be in blues or better.

IIRC, Hoth is usually the big jump in difficulty for tankish types, but I believe I usually hit Hoth over lvl 40. (w/o doing any FP's, and few heroics), so I'm unsure that's your issue, if you're running into a wall at 35. Problem is at Hoth you start running into a lot more foes with elemental attacks, which basically ignore pretty much all the tank's defensive abilities, and it becomes a straight DPS race... which tank characters aren't really equipped to win.

I play as a level 35 Pyro, and my brother is a Sniper.

We fight the same thing, and my companion and I die all the time, with the boss at half health.

When he fights this, he kills it, with both his companion and his toon almost at full health.

:

yup, cause stupid BW nerf PT hardly and don't give it a 60sec CC.

but i am still the most top dps in my team with bw hurt my hands.

I really suggest you to finish all the story quest b4 getting on anotehr new planet, the amount of comms and gear you are getting, not only for you but for your companion too, is pretty high, you will find yourself more geared on the later levels and mob killing will be easier, just my two cents....