1.4 Nerfing classes for PVP reasons, impacts PVE.../sigh

OrionSol

http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-update-class-changes-and-balance-game-update-1.4

As seen here, there are a slew of serious nerfs coming to certain professions. Why? Because the PVP aspect of this community is complaining (as they will ALWAYS do, no matter what the situation is) about imbalance.

So, to fix it, for the sake of making PVPers happy, they are nerfing PVE skills in the process.

Common mistake for MMORPG developers.

This was the reason SOE put out the "Combat Upgrade" aka, the CU, which, only second to the NGE, was a huge mistake.

Now... what impact is this going to have? Are you going to make the PVP gamers happy? NO! They are just going to see a new class as the FOTM overpowered class and complain about that.

Nerf-bat-to-hell sages, and then some other class becomes OP in WZ's...

I implore you devs... that if you are going to smash a classes play style, because of imbalance in PVP, that maybe you give some thought to how it is going to impact PVE players.

Thanks.

Edited by OrionSol

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not reading many nerfs. Yay for Deception buff finally...but inb4qqaboutburst.

Not entirely about the nerfing, as much as it is about them doing these changes because of pvp.

They force people into PVE and PVP, why not make skills work differently in pvp and pve then?

for instance...

"Overload and Force Wave have been redesigned. These abilities now knock back all targets within a 15-meter 120-degree cone in front of you. Furthermore, these abilities now knock back all potential targets instantly; they no longer wait for an animation note at the end of the ability animation."

This is more commonly used by Sages to get those NPC's "off you BACK" not the ones in front of you per sei.

Hell, in pvp, this is used by sages to get Operatives off from CC'ing from behind until you die.

Now? Nerfed.

Ok, I'll explain since you obviously didn't read it. As I see only bounty hunters got a very small nerf as wll as the sage, other classes got a significant buff including those 2 classes. Where do you see these nerfs?

It's all crap anyway since they didn't touch the 2 classes that need the most attention.

Edited by United_Strafes

for instance...

"Overload and Force Wave have been redesigned. These abilities now knock back all targets within a 15-meter 120-degree cone in front of you. Furthermore, these abilities now knock back all potential targets instantly; they no longer wait for an animation note at the end of the ability animation."

This is more commonly used by Sages to get those NPC's "off you BACK" not the ones in front of you per sei.

Hell, in pvp, this is used by sages to get Operatives off from CC'ing from behind until you die.

Now? Nerfed.

honestly i don't see how this effects pve content as your complaining about. If your pulling aggro now off tanks then them or you are doing something wrong in pve anyway.

And to me this is a much needed pvp change, the current knock-back system needed to be fixed a bit and i like the fact that you actually have to position yourself correctly to knock-back things, instead of just hit button and knock-back everything (especaly in hutball and voidstar)

so how are the current things announced in that post a negative to PVE?

Doesn't even address the major issue in PvP. Thats Operative stealthing, throwing stunlock CC forever, taking off most of the persons health, if not all.

GS/Sniper has no defence against a stealther stunlocking then vibroknifing to death, and there is just SO many of them. Most GS/Snipers become the no.1 target for all stealthers in every match...its just to much.

To be honest as a tank if i am in a group where people knocking back mobs i will ask them not to do so and then quit if they continue to do so. There is very little use to KBs in pve if you're playing with half decent people.

In PvP my carnage marauder looses more damage on his ravage from my team mates KBing my targets then i do from anything the enemy does....

So in the greater sense of things, it doesnt effect PvE much, and is useful in PvP.

As bad as server synching is in this game, force wave will be wasted countless times. You may see someone in front of you ready to be knocked back, but because of how bad synching is, they might be behind you. As well as people circling to stay behind you, you will have almost no chance to hit them in that 120 degree arc. Again, mainly due to the poor server synching.

Server synching is so bad, I can desynch myself on my BH just by using jet charge. I'll then have invisible walls around me, from which I can't escape, and can't attack anyone.

You don't go a freaking year with an ability working one way, then change it.

Edited by Hambunctious

Not entirely about the nerfing, as much as it is about them doing these changes because of pvp.

There is nothing wrong with making class adjustments that improve PvP as long as they don't break PvE in the process.

So far, I see changes, but nothing that negatively impacts PvE (unless you simply don't like change, period).

Besides, maybe wait until the patch goes up for testing before QQ, IMO.

To be honest as a tank if i am in a group where people knocking back mobs i will ask them not to do so and then quit if they continue to do so. There is very little use to KBs in pve if you're playing with half decent people.

In PvP my carnage marauder looses more damage on his ravage from my team mates KBing my targets then i do from anything the enemy does....

So in the greater sense of things, it doesnt effect PvE much, and is useful in PvP.

Yes.....I'm sure your Maurader is having a very tough time in PvP.

GS/Sniper has no defence against a stealther stunlocking then vibroknifing to death, and there is just SO many of them. Most GS/Snipers become the no.1 target for all stealthers in every match...its just to much.

Isn't it interesting how PvP follows natural selection and players apply thought to their environment?

PvP is a team sport and balanced that way, not solo. It's also a tactics activity and it's rock/paper/scissors. Get yourself a stealther buddy to watch your back and stunlock the stunlocker. ;)

Edited by Andryah

As bad as server synching is in this game, force wave will be wasted countless times. You may see someone in front of you ready to be knocked back, but because of how bad synching is, they might be behind you. As well as people circling to stay behind you, you will have almost no chance to hit them in that 120 degree arc. Again, mainly due to the poor server synching.

Server synching is so bad, I can desynch myself on my BH just by using jet charge. I'll then have invisible walls around me, from which I can't escape, and can't attack anyone.

You don't go a freaking year with an ability working one way, then change it.

The flip side to this one could argue would be something like huttball where you thought they were in front, did the knockback, they really were behind you meaning you just knocked them into your own goal.

Personally I like the cone idea overall because it adds an interesting tweak to the playstyle. The force-free self heal is also great and one could argue has pve benefits as well (beyond the obvious of less stress on the healer it also makes corruption easier to use on occassion, allowing you to be a little more free and easy with how you expend resource).

While I could overall see arguments that more tweaks are needed here or there, I think the ones listed here are all interesting changes that will not break or drastically change how these classes play, the overall tone of the OP seems to be alarmist to an unwarranted degree.

I moaned and cried on these forums when the SI healer nerf was posted earlier this year. Many of us did iirc. The thing is that during actual testing (some days later) it was discovered that the changes weren't as bad as feared. Infact within days of the changes going live I must admit I had fully adapted to the new SI healing.

With today's proposed changes I'm going to wait til they go up on the PST before I cry havoc.

Complaining before testing even starts is not wise (learnt that the hard way).

I moaned and cried on these forums when the SI healer nerf was posted earlier this year. Many of us did iirc. The thing is that during actual testing (some days later) it was discovered that the changes weren't as bad as feared. Infact within days of the changes going live I must admit I had fully adapted to the new SI healing.

With today's proposed changes I'm going to wait til they go up on the PST before I cry havoc.

Complaining before testing even starts is not wise (learnt that the hard way).

Also those changes were, on paper, an unquestioned nerf. They were a survivable one (having a sorc main) but they were still a nerf. On paper I don't see these that way as they look like sidegrade tweaks or buffs .

http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-update-class-changes-and-balance-game-update-1.4

As seen here, there are a slew of serious nerfs coming to certain professions. Why? Because the PVP aspect of this community is complaining (as they will ALWAYS do, no matter what the situation is) about imbalance.

So, to fix it, for the sake of making PVPers happy, they are nerfing PVE skills in the process.

Common mistake for MMORPG developers.

This was the reason SOE put out the "Combat Upgrade" aka, the CU, which, only second to the NGE, was a huge mistake.

Now... what impact is this going to have? Are you going to make the PVP gamers happy? NO! They are just going to see a new class as the FOTM overpowered class and complain about that.

Nerf-bat-to-hell sages, and then some other class becomes OP in WZ's...

I implore you devs... that if you are going to smash a classes play style, because of imbalance in PVP, that maybe you give some thought to how it is going to impact PVE players.

Thanks.

I'm not seeing a ton of changes to PvE damage. I think you can stop the panic now.

I don't see these changes being significant in pvp or pve. A smart opponent would position them selves in such a way as to avoid being knock off in huttball, but it does raise the skill level. This will not affect me much as I can turn in air and knock back due to me playing a hunter in wow. Try jumping in the air turn 180 degrees fire an ability and turn 180 degrees back to your original position before you land. That took a bit of mouse turning and skill to do correctly. If I remember correctly it was required to kite mobs. This change actually gives me a reason to do that again. Edited by Knockerz