All Gather Profession Viable?

Ivisti

Yes but I feel it would be better to take one crafting skill and two of the appropriate gathering skills for it.

That all depends on what you want to accomplish and/or do. If the OP NEVER wants to craft for ANY reason, what's the point of having a crafting skill

My advice is to take two of the three gathering skills (archaeology, bioanalysis, scavenging) and slicing.

Edited by psandak

I keep one master of each crafting skill and the characters after that all pick up gathering skills. Now that we can craft 30 items at a time on each character it doesn't make much sense to have multiple of any of the crafting skills as far as i can tell.

It most definitely is viable, especially if only whilst leveling. If you also hold on to all of the materials you gather you can use them later to cheaply power-level a crafting skill if you choose. Or you can just sell them as you go.

We have two members in the guild that do this as they hate crafting and they do well on the mats they sell.

Yeah, I know a few people that also do this which supplies me with my enough stuff to reach my monthly Biochem quota for the guilds I in turn supply with stims. The gather makes a decent profit without losing money to GTN's cut. I make a decent profit without losing money to the same, the guilds get a better deal on the stuff I make.

What the title says advice please.

Its perfectly viable. Before moving onto crafting, for a long time I was making my money this way since I hate grinding dailies. All my chars had slicing + scavenging and sometimes another gathering skill. Its great way to make a lot of money while leveling, well at least it was pre 12x XP. Now it may be dificult to keep up with fast leveling and "skipping" planets.

Those skills can be also very profitable at endgame. You can farm Yavin or/and keep sendign companions on boutiful/rich missions.

One tip, some lower grade mats sell as well or even better than endgame mats and the cost ant time of running those is much lower. So its often worth sendign companions on low level gatherign(scavenging,archeology) missions.

I have one all gathering 60 (Scav, Bio, and Arch) and he is an asset in my crafting.

Whenever I need mats to craft (don't sell them any more) a half hour on him in the appropriate mat rich area yields stacks of mats. One can argue efficiency, but running him at times is much better (faster and cheaper) than sending out companions on multiple missions.

For example, just doing dailies on Yavin 4 has the side benefit of also giving stacks of grade 11 mats.

I am not sure that I would start out with a pure gatherer or ignore the crafting mission guys (UT, Dip, and TH) at first, but such a character can have significant value to the 'team" somewhere along the line.