Slicing missions not finding any purple components.

Vethrin

I spent over 4 hours today on slicing with 2 characters and found nothing but junk. Not one damn purple component. the day before that I only found it once in about the same amount of time. Component gathering has to be broken if I can just buy them on the GTN for less then it cost to gather them. It also would save me weeks of slicing to augment my new character that Im only playing because I don't like the rotations on my other ones after they screwed them all up. I really wish I knew why they let this stupid desperate marketing concepts make it to the game. I cant wait to hear all the angry fans shouting at me for this post lol

I spent over 4 hours today on slicing with 2 characters and found nothing but junk. Not one damn purple component. the day before that I only found it once in about the same amount of time

So if you are running the rich and bountiful missions only (the only ones the generate purple materials in the top grade (11) missions). Each mission takes 50 minites, so in "4 hours" you could run ten missions a day or 20 total. Not what I would call a good sample.

That being said, I have been tracking ALL mission returns among my nine characters and 49 companions (not all my characters are 56+; I have one character with only two companions), and in 536 missions run so far my overall crit rate is a little low, but there are two interesting anomalies:

4.30% Fail rate

17.94% Overall Crit rate

23.75% Crit rate on Orange Difficulty Missions

16.92% Crit rate on Yellow, Green, and Gray Difficulty Missions

21.74% +1crit companions crit rate

14.56% +2crit companions crit rate

23.26% +5crit companions crit rate

18.03% Just max affection

The easier missions are critting a LOT less than the more difficult missions

And my +2 crit comps are significantly underperforming

THAT being said even my sample, at more than 500 missions run, is small. Yours is insignificant.

Component gathering has to be broken if I can just buy them on the GTN for less then it cost to gather them. It also would save me weeks of slicing to augment my new character that Im only playing because I don't like the rotations on my other ones after they screwed them all up. I really wish I knew why they let this stupid desperate marketing concepts make it to the game. I cant wait to hear all the angry fans shouting at me for this post lol

Don't know what you are talking about. The cost to acquire ANY grade 11 purple material is approximately 6500 credits (Grade 11 rich mission costs ~4000 credits to run, with a crit rate of 20% (for simplicity of math), generating 3 units per crit), and Adaptive circuitry at the low end (on The Harbinger) runs 20,000 each (more than 3 times the cost to acquire).

The reason blue materials are so low value, is because they are in extremely high supply and demand while more than in the past is extremely low too. People run the missions for the purple materials and they run extreme numbers of those missions to get the purple materials, so they end up with stacks and stacks of blue materials that do not get used (as much).

I spent over 4 hours today on slicing with 2 characters and found nothing but junk. Not one damn purple component. the day before that I only found it once in about the same amount of time. Component gathering has to be broken if I can just buy them on the GTN for less then it cost to gather them. It also would save me weeks of slicing to augment my new character that Im only playing because I don't like the rotations on my other ones after they screwed them all up. I really wish I knew why they let this stupid desperate marketing concepts make it to the game. I cant wait to hear all the angry fans shouting at me for this post lol

Run rich missions for the highest chance of getting purple mats and then bountiful missions.

Also you can get one time use prosperous or wealthy missions from the gtn for cheap if your lucky .Run those for definite purple mats.

Edited by NUTMANIAC

No, it is just the happy world of rng. Unlike others I do not track my results but have some little insight in other ways.

Two weeks ago, I concluded that I am starting to gett to the point where my grade level purples are well oversupplied. Slicing adaptive circuitry was one such purple. The rational conclusion was to start selling them off; converting them into credits. So I listed a few and aggressively started selling augments. The result is that after the two weeks, I have more adaptive circuitry than I started out with. I send out Treek and a 10,000 affection point companion (T7-01 in particular) out both on tech parts and lockbox missions (which from time to time give slicing crafting missions) and get a lot of crits.

So over long and current experience without charting things, everything seems to be working as advertised.

PS - I run only rich missions and slicing usually offers at least one (tech part or lockbox) each draw.

Edited by asbalana

Run rich missions for the highest chance of getting purple mats and then bountiful missions.

Also you can get one time use prosperous or wealthy missions from the gtn for cheap if your lucky .Run those for definite purple mats.

"cheap" and slicing discovered missions does not compute. In fact, having gotten one recently from running missions I decided to do a little research: the slicing mission was valued at 130k at the low end, adaptive circuitry runs 20k each. With those values it is "cheaper" to sell the slicing mission and buy adaptive circuitry with the proceeds.

And my +2 crit comps are significantly underperforming

If you think about the +1 and + 2 crit companions they will crit one or two more times out of each 100 missions run. So if you test the +1 or +2 crit bonus in a sample of 500 or so missions your really do not have a sample size of 500 but rather of 5 (sets of 100). To run 500 tests of 100 missions (still a small sample) to see how many times the +1 or +2 character crits out of each 100 runs, you would actually have to run 50,000 missions.

It is early morning and I just had my first cup of coffee, so my logic may be off. If I have a 2% crit chance, then I have a 98% fail chance, so out of 100 trials the chance of no crits is 13.26% which is not insignificant. The chance of 500 fails is .41% and we have all seen streaks like that in the SWTOR crafting system. At 1% crit rate, the chance of no crits out of 100 trials is 36.6% and out of 500 trials .66%.

The above is for catastrophic fail (no hits), underperforming means (for a +2 crit) getting less than 10 hits in 500 trials which would have a much higher probability. So I run my best suited companion and hope that BW/EA is telling me the truth. Crappy system which is another topic much discussed, but I guess it is working. LOL, if you do get to about 50K to 60K trials, I would be curious to see the results.

"cheap" and slicing discovered missions does not compute. In fact, having gotten one recently from running missions I decided to do a little research: the slicing mission was valued at 130k at the low end, adaptive circuitry runs 20k each. With those values it is "cheaper" to sell the slicing mission and buy adaptive circuitry with the proceeds.

Shadowlands:

Slicing 500 mission - 94,700 (more than one at that price)

Adaptive Circ - 31,500 (again more than one).

If you factor in crit chance and cost of mission, it seems to be a push to me on that server. If you consider that a crafting mission is returned with the run of the slicing mission, buying the mission may be the way to go.

Begeren Colony

Slicing 500 mission - 110,000

Adaptive Circ - 31,000

Ebon Hawk

Slicing 500 mission - 107,500

Adaptive Circ - 25,495

It seems that the worst relationship between the missions and circuitry is on Harbinger. I probably should have compared augment prices as well, but did not do so and will leave to others if they are curious.

PS - Although there is no logic to what people seem to buy and how much they pay, why would anyone buy a slicing mission on Harbinger? If they are not doing so, the price would drop (or I would think).

Edited by asbalana

Two approaches...

One: Buy the augments or materials to craft augments required to kit your character now, then keep running missions and sell the materials you gain over time (and most likely move closer towards average crit returns) and / or craft augments with the materials you gain over time and potentially make even more (margin on augments + additional crit chance on crafting).

Two: Keep running missions and slowly gain the materials over time (again most likely moving close to average returns) required craft the augments required to kit your character.

Unfortunately, there isn't a third 'make all my missions crit right now so I can gear my character right now' option.

Edited by DawnAskham

If someone is willing to pay that, that is.

I sold one yesterday within minutes of posting it. I posted another this morning (around 8am MDT), did not sell THAT fast but chances are it's sold already.

If you think about the +1 and + 2 crit companions they will crit one or two more times out of each 100 missions run. So if you test the +1 or +2 crit bonus in a sample of 500 or so missions your really do not have a sample size of 500 but rather of 5 (sets of 100). To run 500 tests of 100 missions (still a small sample) to see how many times the +1 or +2 character crits out of each 100 runs, you would actually have to run 50,000 missions.

It is early morning and I just had my first cup of coffee, so my logic may be off. If I have a 2% crit chance, then I have a 98% fail chance, so out of 100 trials the chance of no crits is 13.26% which is not insignificant. The chance of 500 fails is .41% and we have all seen streaks like that in the SWTOR crafting system. At 1% crit rate, the chance of no crits out of 100 trials is 36.6% and out of 500 trials .66%.

The above is for catastrophic fail (no hits), underperforming means (for a +2 crit) getting less than 10 hits in 500 trials which would have a much higher probability. So I run my best suited companion and hope that BW/EA is telling me the truth. Crappy system which is another topic much discussed, but I guess it is working. LOL, if you do get to about 50K to 60K trials, I would be curious to see the results.

Oh I agree that my current sample is small, but it is 25 times the size of the OP's. And I will probably tire of tracking LONG before 50k. I MIGHT get 1k.

Why is it the slicing mission discoveries always ahve the worst value in terms of returns of the value of the purple items? Same was true of Thermal Regulators in the previous tier too.

I guess it's just the popularity of the crew skill too that more people still use it than any other.

I use Treasure Hunting and almost every day can run missions ( various levels ) I buy from the GTN then and there for a 50%+ return on the cost of what it took me to run ( more so for earlier tier missions because they can reward better items as well as the purple where as the 500's only give crappy blue gear and whatever crappy mat it is I vendor every day ). Also the purple mats for TH are of good value for all tiers.

tldr; please don't use treasure hunting. ;)

Just a streak of bad luck OP. And not all that bad. I've had way worse. With non-crits and fails, I got 36 missions in a row without purples. Yeah, that sucked. And yet, I'm probably a bit above what is expected in average...

369 Disassembly Required missions: 11 fails, 283 non-crits, 75 crits

300 Forsaken Handshake missions: 11 fails, 222 non-crits, 67 crits.

Suck it up and keep spamming missions :p