Commando/Merc still no interupt?

Gallifrayen

I'm just curious why these classes still don't have an interrupt for bosses.

In PvP its not a big deal all other classes have them and it only interrupts the ability they were using it doesn't lock them out of the "school" so they can just switch immediately to another ability.

Commandos and Mercs don't actually have more of anything worth while in terms of interrupting in PvE. Knockback is just something that will make tanks angry or knock stuff out of aoe or into patrols if you aren't careful and doesn't work on bosses.

Being the only class without an interrupt for reasons I just can't understand.

I actually play a Juggernaut and I basically have way more control than these classes and I can interrupt bosses.

I'm just asking in general because its a question for everyone why do you think they don't have one?

I'd prefer comments related more to PvE since in PvP many classes have a lot more control and interrupts.

In PvP its not a big deal all other classes have them and it only interrupts the ability they were using it doesn't lock them out of the "school" so they can just switch immediately to another ability.

Commandos and Mercs don't actually have more of anything worth while in terms of interrupting in PvE. Knockback is just something that will make tanks angry or knock stuff out of aoe or into patrols if you aren't careful and doesn't work on bosses.

I actually play a Juggernaut and I basically have way more control than these classes and I can interrupt bosses.

I'm just asking in general because its a question for everyone why do you think they don't have one?

I'd prefer comments related more to PvE since in PvP many classes have a lot more control and interrupts.

Whhhahahhahahhahahaha

the same reason my vanguard doesnt have a cc, oh yea you forgot to mention commandos have a cc.

if all classes had the same abilities dont you think people would just stack raids with vanguards or other heavy armor eqivs

Like I said I don't have a commando/merc im just curious.

Not having a baseline ability seems odd to me.

Saying they don't need an interrupt because they bring DPS is a real point how? All classes that bring DPS are reported by BW to be within 5% of each other so they are all viable to be picked as DPS if the person wanted.

"if all classes had the same abilities blah blah"

an interrupt is like not having sprint. Should only certain classes get sprint? If everybody got that it would totally be broken.

With this new patch Commandos/Mercs do less damage now since they've been nerfed to encourage a different rotation, I guess BW forgot that 4 moves are linked to tracer/grav being used frequently.

Please legitimate responses only. Nobody has given a reason that cannot be placed upon another class for the same standard.

Didn't the devs address this? Not every class needs interrupts when they have other strengths (e.g. dps).

If the Dev's said that, it's further evidence they don't play their own game.

I was levelling my Bounty Hunter - who only has one interrupt, which has a cooldown of about a minute - and was facing an Elite that could heal itself.

The damned thing was spamming heals on itself and I couldn't DPS it down fast enough before it healed back up. Ended up having to just wipe and then fight it again, luckily where the mob did more attacks than self-heals this time so I could kill it in time.

A gravround between their eyes and full out in their guts, dying is also an interrupt! GETSOME!!!! :wea_02::D

If the Dev's said that, it's further evidence they don't play their own game.

I was levelling my Bounty Hunter - who only has one interrupt, which has a cooldown of about a minute - and was facing an Elite that could heal itself.

The damned thing was spamming heals on itself and I couldn't DPS it down fast enough before it healed back up. Ended up having to just wipe and then fight it again, luckily where the mob did more attacks than self-heals this time so I could kill it in time.

HAHA same thing happened to my friend on Alderaan which is what sparked this question for me.

I just don't see any distinct advantage that Commando/mercs have that isn't duplicated on another class to justify the lack of an interrupt.

They already have a AOE knockback and a stun. If they gave them another dedicated interrupt then they would need to take away something else (like the CC or stun). You can't have everything.

They didn't get nerfed, they changed the way abilities work so you can't just spam 1 button...

If they make them any stronger than what would be the point in any melee dps? This game already makes things easier for ranged.

Edited by NasherUK

They already have a AOE knockback and a stun. If they gave them another dedicated interrupt then they would need to take away something else (like the CC or stun). You can't have everything.

They didn't get nerfed, they changed the way abilities work so you can't just spam 1 button...

Are you referring to PvP for that standard because Inquisitor/sage already have CC/knockback and an interrupt.....

But most Elites are immune to the AOE knockbacks and stuns. Only the dedicated interrupt can stop them casting, and when it has a stupidly long cooldown that makes a lot of fights incredibly more difficult.

Are you referring to PvP for that standard because Inquisitor/sage already have CC/knockback and an interrupt.....

They are also a lot more squishy outside of cooldowns due to only having light armour.

Edited by NasherUK

It is because they want the classes to 'feel' different, so some have interrupts, some do not. Same with other abilities such as CC, stuns, heals, defensive cooldowns, etc.

The problem with that design philosophy is that is becomes almost impossible to balance the classes between each other 1 v 1 for PVP or between each other for effectiveness against certain PVE mechanics.

Take the new flashpoint and run it with a melee heavy group or a group with few if any interrupts. Then run it with ranged dps heavy on interrupts. Did you find the difficulty level to be the same? (Hint: It isn't)

And this is where the idea of having classes with unique abilities fails when it meets encounters that are designed to be beaten or managed by using certain abilities that certain classes do not have.

This is especially true in smaller formats where the presence or lack of certain abilities can change the encounter from abnormally difficult to face roll easy.

Its a fine line they must walk, as to keep the classes from becoming homogenized, they need to make sure no one class can do it all in PVP or PVE while no one class is at a significant disadvantage either.

Right now they are doing reasonably well, but personally, I feel they failed with the new flashpoint in that certain comps really are much better and more desirable than others.

Edited by DawnAskham

Heres an example for you of a similar scenario.

Imagine one class couldn't jump and certain encounters you needed to jump to avoid a large amount of damage or jump to avoid someone in the group from suffering damage and all other classes could jump and avoid prevent this.

Would that class without jump not be considered a liability?

Back to the point. Why is it that only Commando/mercs don't have an interrupt, inq/sage have all the same ability types and they have one and don't say heavy armour , a large portion of damage done to you is both elemental/internal which armour does not do anything for.

It is because they want the classes to 'feel' different, so some have interrupts, some do not. Same with other abilities such as CC, stuns, heals, defensive cooldowns, etc.

thats not true though in a game where just 1 advanced class out of 8 doesnt get an interrupt, while the other 7 do.

Heres an example for you of a similar scenario.

Imagine one class couldn't jump and certain encounters you needed to jump to avoid a large amount of damage or jump to avoid someone in the group from suffering damage and all other classes could jump and avoid prevent this.

Would that class without jump not be considered a liability?

Back to the point. Why is it that only Commando/mercs don't have an interrupt, inq/sage have all the same ability types and they have one and don't say heavy armour , a large portion of damage done to you is both elemental/internal which armour does not do anything for.

It's not as large as people like to believe (most people categorize attacks as elemental/internal that are not, like force lightning).

They actually had a ranged interrupt in beta but it was taken out because they proved just too powerful with it.

They actually had an interrupt before and instead of balancing the class(which they have done now) they just remove a core ability because THAT was the problem..........

So much has changed since then I don't understand how that could be their first instinct for balancing.

Sorc/Sage have all the same types of CC and knock back that the Commando/Merc does except they do have an interrupt and through out the servers are the most heavily played class a lot of times by a lot.

I don't want to argue this class has this, that class has that because really its not about that. Class uniqueness is a good thing but removing the only interrupt before properly balancing the class it not the right way to go about it.

I would suggest adding something along the lines of a 30second cd that is an interrupt at the very least. All other ranged interrupts are 12 seconds I believe so I don't see a problem.

Here is what was said on the topic:

Georg Zoeller (Lead Combat Designer): Yes. The lack of an interrupt ability on these Advanced Classes is a purposefully designed weakness in their ability arsenal. At the current time, adding an interrupt to the Commando/Mercenary would increase their combat utility, especially in PvP, beyond what we are comfortable with.

That said, this issue is one we’ve re-evaluated with every major patch and will likely continue to revisit in the future. It is not inconceivable that an interrupt may be added to these Advanced Classes in a future update, especially if more PvE content is introduced that relies on a certain number of interrupts being available in a group.

Can probably be entered in as evidence #8946 that they have no clue what the hell they are doing balance-wise.

Mercs get two abilities that can be used to interrupt, Rocket Punch (with Afterburner skill) And Jet Boosts Knockback.

Not every class gets a ranged disrupt, and Mercs get two abilities that can be used as such

You must have missed the part where neither of those moves work on bosses.

You must also be missing the point that the other ranged classes do have these types of abilities.

everyone confuses the request for an interrupt as some sort of request for monetization, I say if they are going to not give Commandos/Mercs an interrupt then why does a Sage/Inquis have one. They are ranged they have high damage, they can heal, they have the best resource to manage, they also have massive survive ability because one of their CC doesn't have a Cooldown.

There reasoning behind this is for balance...... does this mean that in the future they might remove another AC's interrupt for balance?

I just think its broken to not have one, I use interrupt on my Juggernaut all the time people aren't allowed to cast.

Saying that Commando/Merc would be op in PvP with an interrupt is non-sense.

With Juggernaut I can interrupt, then choke, then push, then interrupt again. Thats not even a spec needed for any of that and Juggernauts do a lot of damage.

With commando(if there interrupt was the same as jug) they could interrupt, stun if the target is at range, which is where you want things to be you're not a vangaurd/PT but if a MELEE is on you they tend to not channel abilities so you have knockback(and Juggernauts/guardians are immune to knockback after charging).

My point is a lot of other classes have other abilities that can interrupt in pvp just as the Commando/Mercs 1min ish cds.

The reasoning behind the whole balance just doesn't make sense, it's so bizarre to me that I just can't comprehend how they would balance a class by removing a game wide utility like interrupt.

Does a Cryo Grenade for Commandoes count?

Not a MMO type Player here, but it has worked in the lower lvls well enough for a small advantage.

No it doesn't count in this case.

You are right though it is handy early on just late game bosses are immune to stuns so it basically does nothing to them.