Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ShinonBrightstar
01.27.2012 , 12:16 PM | #321
bump!

WutsInAName
01.27.2012 , 12:19 PM | #322
Quote: Originally Posted by marshalleck View Post
Sigh. The point is that runnign missions helps grind out the skill and maybe get a few lucky rewards, Bioware obviously don't want it to be a "give me credits" button.
those other can absolutly can and do return a loss.

Sometimes they fail completly sometimes they come back with very little.

Slicing is no diff. Could it use a shot in the arm, sure but no more then the others. T.Hunting is WAY WAY WAY more random and loss possible than slicing.

ie) I can send out for 1.5-2k and come back with a green item that sells for half of that. GTH? lol like Ima bother puting a green quality item on there. However I do find blue items, and relics(they sell ok on GTH) and the very very rare purple usually way lower than my current level possibly useful on an alts companion for a couple/few low levels (big whoop).

PS if you wanna make money right now. pick up bioanalysis and hunt for nodes. its hard NOT to sell bio mats for top dollar right now.

TechRavingMad
01.27.2012 , 12:26 PM | #323
My biggest problem since the last patch is the failure of Crit missions to give a good selection of missions.

Since the 1.0 patch (I think, it's since they added the light/dark designations) I've gotten 51 Crit missions. Of those 51, 22 were Diplomacy. I think the problem is that the random generator is counting the Light/Dark missions as two separate mission types instead of a single Diplomacy type.

This needs to be fixed since the only real reason to have slicing at this point is to run for the chance of missions.

Pherdnut
01.27.2012 , 12:57 PM | #324
Insta-money without any sale of a product or service associated with it is like a Deathstar that shoots inflation missiles. Doubly-so in a game economy where rapid inflation is inevitable as long as the game is popular.

Don't be pissed that you lost your easy button. Be happy that you took advantage of it when you could but that they killed it before it ruined the game.

You're not supposed to make money from mission skills without selling or doing stuff. That's the concept. You make money as you go harvesting safes. And you can use it to get augments and missions. That you can get lockboxes even at a slight loss is awesome. It's a very cheap and effortless way to level the skill that won't negate profit from cracking safes.

Unless of course all you intended to do with that character was farm credits with it.
Amurrka, Malfunction, Skeeve, Derp, Deeva, Orinj @Dreshdae Cantina

"QQ!"

Volki
01.27.2012 , 01:03 PM | #325
Quote: Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
You don't even need a clue to do the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis, just know they exist. You can make 100-200k in reward money, looted creds and sold junk, plus various degrees of GTNable stuff. Per day. This is probably the main reason the econ is a wreck already. Credits are stupid easy. Anybody in SWTOR paying cash for credits is a complete idiot.
So nerfing Slicing was pointless since there are far easier ways to make even more money than Pre-Nerf Slicing.

I mainly would use big money to get the 400k vaults for myself and my alts (and more vault space after that, if possible), and the ~250,000 credit lvl 40 speeder bike license (and the lvl 50 as well).

Remember, "this be" a game we play for fun. I can always work more at work if I want to work more. I play games to relax, not to work.
Well, I try my best to be just like I am
But everybody wants you to be just like them
They say sing while you slave and I just get bored
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more. ~Bob Dylan

Thanatosx
01.27.2012 , 02:31 PM | #326
Quote: Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
Insta-money without any sale of a product or service associated with it is like a Deathstar that shoots inflation missiles. Doubly-so in a game economy where rapid inflation is inevitable as long as the game is popular.
It wasn't insta-money by any means necessary.

The dev's and even the posted explanation of the skill says it was designed so you weren't going to have to play the GTN. It was a skill made made for people who didn't want to grind crafting skills or run around the world having to grind up a gathering skill.

Your premise is completely off here. I'm sure you know all that though and are just trying to fan flames.

Quote:
Don't be pissed that you lost your easy button. Be happy that you took advantage of it when you could but that they killed it before it ruined the game.
Only the people who set up 'farms' had an easy button. Too bad so many other crafting imbalances were worse than this one and they ignored though so the economy could be messed up.

Quote:
You're not supposed to make money from mission skills without selling or doing stuff. That's the concept.
Repeating incorrect information doesn't make it right. There's plenty of proof of this already in posts throughout this thread. So, no, not the concept.

Quote:
You make money as you go harvesting safes.
Which is one additional way to obtain money other than missions.

Quote:
And you can use it to get augments and missions.
Which only happen sometimes, when you get a crit, which like with OTHER crafting professions is considered a BONUS. Plus, augments don't really sell from most reports.

Quote:
That you can get lockboxes even at a slight loss is awesome.
Losing money on a successful mission is awesome? If you feel that way about it I have this bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you really cheap. I'm taking a slight loss mind you, but you seem like a bright, upstanding citizen of the galaxy...

Successful missions shouldn't reward you with a loss. That is just silly.

Quote:
It's a very cheap and effortless way to level the skill that won't negate profit from cracking safes.
Which pretty much all the other professions can do as well from doing their missions as well, this really isn't a point. It's not unique.

Quote:
Unless of course all you intended to do with that character was farm credits with it.
which was supposed to be a viable choice according to how it was advertised.
Triumvirate of Wraith
http://wraith.miratos.com
Standard Disclaimer applies for all posts, including IMHO

KurtulanSama
01.27.2012 , 04:52 PM | #327
BTW most people are saying that other gathering missons can reward you with mats that sells less than misson cost. Here is the catch geniouses, you get mats from missons yes real crafting mats that can be used in crafting skills. In slicing we literally pay money to LOSE money. we can't use credits for anything else. I could start to give 500 - 600 credits every hour, it'll be the same thing.

So in my opinion, slicing should not make you hutt level rich in a day but it shouldn't suck your money neither. Each succesful misson at least reward you with same amount of credits you pay for the misson. Anything else is failure in my eyes.

About the profit, %15 - %30 profit is more than enough (only with missons) and a lil increased crit ratio (or useful augments) would make this skill worthwhile again.

Davenmyr
01.27.2012 , 05:51 PM | #328
I posted this in another slicing related thread a few days ago, but it was buried in short order, so just to throw it out there I will re-post it. I offered up a potential change to slicing that may adjust it to be more in line with other skills, figuring people could offer insight and maybe someone at Bioware would think on it. It probably isn't a new idea but here goes anyways.

Remove the lock box missions or the money from the lock boxes and instead replace them with missions. The level of the mission would/could vary on the level of the mission being "sliced". So a rank 6 will return a 340 mission(blue or purple on a crit) assuming no fail. Rank 5 300ish etc so on down.

This gives slicing a viable means of money making that relies on the GTN (and removes the completely random "oh look i procced a 150 diplomacy dark side mission with my level 6 abundant lock box mission") like all the other skills, and more importantly scales WITH the economy instead of the economy scaling with slicing. The more people trade skilling the more demand for the materials obtained through missions, the more they will sell for. On the opposite side, the easier they are to get the lower the prices will be, further enabling other crafters to be able to afford to gather mats to work the skills and make new gear.

Of course, this all assumes Bioware doesn't intend for the higher level trade skills to be absurdly random or very difficult/rare. Cause right now, its random procs on RE made with random mats obtained from a random proc from a random mission. Mandalorian Iron for example can be insanely expensive. Too much randomness causes too much frustrations, specially when someone spent 45k for that mission and got 6 of the wrong type of material.

Im sure there is a problem with some of it, but it could be a start if nothing else maybe.

Battilea
01.27.2012 , 07:37 PM | #329
Quote: Originally Posted by Davenmyr View Post
Remove the lock box missions or the money from the lock boxes and instead replace them with missions. The level of the mission would/could vary on the level of the mission being "sliced". So a rank 6 will return a 340 mission(blue or purple on a crit) assuming no fail. Rank 5 300ish etc so on down.

This gives slicing a viable means of money making that relies on the GTN (and removes the completely random "oh look i procced a 150 diplomacy dark side mission with my level 6 abundant lock box mission") like all the other skills, and more importantly scales WITH the economy instead of the economy scaling with slicing. The more people trade skilling the more demand for the materials obtained through missions, the more they will sell for. On the opposite side, the easier they are to get the lower the prices will be, further enabling other crafters to be able to afford to gather mats to work the skills and make new gear.
Wouldn't work, it would flood the market with them, collapsing prices. And also the prices of rares. It would also mean the time to do missions would have to double (matching the augment times), which would suck for leveling up. And even then, the quantity of missions it would dump on the market would be huge.

It is also unnecessary. Slicing has an item to sell on the GTN already in augments.

Now, yes, there isn't much of a market for augments, but that is because crits are so freaking rare for crafters. The goods to take the augments simply aren't there. And because the goods the other crafters make that don't have the augments are pretty much equal to drops, nobody really seeks out crafted gear.

Fix the crafted items so they get crits 25% of the time or more when you craft using a 10k affection companion. It'd help the other crafts and improve the market for augments.

ArmoredJuneBug
01.27.2012 , 08:22 PM | #330
Quote: Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
Insta-money without any sale of a product or service associated with it is like a Deathstar that shoots inflation missiles.
No.

The credits added to the circulation from Slicing missions is entirely insignificant compared to even the most basic mission rewards, let alone vendor thrash drops.