Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

It bogles m mind that this skill is still broken (to make money that it).

On high-population servers, who cares about it because I make a whole lot more money selling stuff on the GTN anyways.

I also happen to play on a low-pop server (Nathema) with a static group. On that server, nobody uses the GTN, nothing ever sells (or extremly rarely). Now slicing would've been perfect for this server. At least to allow ppl to have money without mindless grinding.

With the current state of the skill, it can't even provide enough to get by.

Too bad they re-nerfed it at the Ilum-disaster thing fix... I'm preeeety sure it's worst than before too, I used to run a couple mission and net a few k's after a 3 hour session while doing other thing. Now All I've been doing is loosing money.

My 2 cents.

-- Francois424

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right we're all aware that Slicing has been hit with the Nerf-Bat.

Over the last several days; from what I've experienced, said Bat had Nerf-Nails in it too ...

** Excluding Open-World Nodes **

Before 1.1, Slicing was still profitable and had a steady return on Mission Discovery drops from Rich missions especially.

After 1.1, it seemed slightly bolstered, with Companion Affection playing a more significant role returning a Blue Lockbox or if you will a "Critical Success" on the missions, with a decent yield and lvl300 & 340 Mission Discovery items.

After Thursdays Maintenance, last week, Mission lockbox amounts were reduced by approx 50%, but the crit chance was still ok albeit less than before on Companions that had 40% + affection.

Now -3 of my Companions are at 70 - 100% affection, and after Yesterdays maintenance I was running missions for 6 hours with 4 companions.

I got 1 crit in that time (lvl 5 Rich) which yielded a loss as did most of my other missions. It seemed that Skadge who has about 1.5k affection was the only one yielding any profit, which was from Bountiful Grade 4 missions. Anything higher generally returned a loss or broke even. Additionally and more worringly, I had 0 - thats ZERO, "Mission Discovery" drops from Lvl 5 "Rich" or Lvl 6 "Abundant" missions with my 70 - 90% affection Companions.

However ... my most worrying crafting experiance is yet to come.

Mako is 100% affection, has + Slicing Efficiency (I know this doesn't affect Crit chance) and before I logged last night, I used a lvl 340 Slicing Mission item and sent her forth for the sum of 5k.

I returned this morning to find a Green lvl 6 Lockbox with 2k in it and an Augment. Granted its a + Power Aug, which is nice - for me anyway, but this is a serious decline in what these missions should yield.

By comparison, my Alt does UT Missions with a companion under 20% affection and returns lvl300 & lvl340 missions with stacks of 10 for Blue metals and fabrics, along with stacks of 5 for purple metals & fabrics.

Open-world lockboxes, whilst, Yes they are nice and free - I am seemingly unable to utilise Slicing to obtain Mission Discovery drops, which vexes me greatly as I require UT ones to keep a steady supply of metals coming in to allow the progression of my Crafting Proffession through RE recipes.

I can only ask Bioware to implement a speedy response to the community feedback and hopefully provide us with more balance in Slicing Mission Rewards.

I'm not sure.. Wasn't slicing boosted and the nerf (partially) removed? I know I've been sending my companions slicing every since I had my ship bot, and ever since the beginning it has been some small cash, but constant.

At first 100-200 credits per mission, eventually 300-400 now. It's nothing *major* but it's a constant cash flow. Plus, the missions of course. Third epic mission I'm selling (not level 50) for 22k+ and the blue ones go from between 1k to 3k.

I'm currently 28, slicing at 328, and have 200k with 25k spent on more inventory room and 48k for my speeder.

The more companions I'll have, the more missions I'll send them, the more rewards I'll reap as I level up. So far I'm only sending my ship bot and Mako only goes if I'm idling over the Fleet or doing a FP.

I will probably repeat the same thing that's been said but I have to say these,

1. Slicing isn't a gathering skill like scavenging or bioanalisys since you cant slice anything out of mobs. As level 20 sith, I can go Dromund Kaas and farm strong mobs about an hour and get about 200 goo and fiber. In my server that means 8k credits profit guaranteed and with grade 1 mats.

I am playing with 3 other friends, that means we can head out and clear an heroic area in a matter of minutes. So much more cash in less time.

But if I try to farm nodes(too rare, too scatered) I usually find them bugged. Effort for nothing. Even if they work they give silly amount of credits most of the time(300 max on balmorra.. Really, my skills cost 1k each minimum)

2. Augments are jokes... (pretty much everyone knows the reason) and if you don't crit, you can't get proper missons to sell(and probably lose about 300-500 credits along the way) and in some economies missons are considered junk... purple 340 investigation misson can only sell at 1-1.5k at my server... (others are desent thanks to some people)

well that sums it up. Thanks for reading...

Ad not everyone have the time to farm.

Edited by KurtulanSama

Trade skill missions sell for 45k+ on GTW

So, with all due respect, stop whinning

You mean Underworld Trading missions? The highest I've been able to get one to sell for on my server, if they sell at all, was 8k.

You want to throw GTN into this? Let's do that! My server, crafting mats are selling now for the lowest point they have since launch, dropping after the big nerf of slicing and plummeting since. If I sell gathering materials on GTN, which I do, you make more than slicing did in it's heyday.

The economy is still in ruins on my server; people just buy crafting mats due to the low price and are waiting for crafting to be buffed.

Slicing isn't worth anything now.

Yeah, slicing has def. been hit with some sort of stealth nerf. After 1.1 some were complaining that it wasn't profitable to send on missions anymore. I didn't see that at all, I was still making money hand over fist - just not as much as before.

Now, however I've noticed (and logged) a definite decline. Start with 385K, send all five companions out on the level 6, 5 and 4 missions, then open the boxes and I have 384K.

I totally understand BW's initial need and desire to nerf to make it no longer so extremely profitable, but this is downright stupid and ridiculous to have it operate at a loss like that.

I totally understand BW's initial need and desire to nerf to make it no longer so extremely profitable, but this is downright stupid and ridiculous to have it operate at a loss like that.

Over time you do make a profit. I ran nothing but lock box missions a week ago and kept tally of my money over time and after 7 hours and 50 boxes i made a whopping 17,248k which comes out to 39.29 credits per min or 2357 credits per hour..

This is, i believe, what biowares matrix is showing them. What they perhaps are not taking into account is that 17,248 k over 7 hours of game play is a silly amount of money. Im lv 36 with one of my characters and after killing a few guys i can easy rack in a few hundred credits a min.

The only real benefit one gets from slicing now days (besides the on planet boxes) is the drops...but as MnMrMustard and many before him have pointed out the GTN economy is a bit cr*p at the moment. Your lucky to get more than 8k for any 340 drops at the moment and i dont really see it changing much in the future. Ive actually contemplated buying up all the low priced stuff and putting it back on for a more realistic price but i fear this would only encourage people to keep posting low.

Why should I pay 1400 credits on a C6 lockbox search for a box that returns 1000 credits?

Why should I pay 1900 credits for a high reward C5 lockbox that returns 1400 credits?

Don't run missions then? Or run them lots and over time the averages are profit, plus you get one-off missions out of it and/or other junk to vendor or GTN. What you don't list (since you only list 2 examples of low returns) is the crit returns where you get 2-4x what you pay. Run enough missions and the crits and successes outpace the fails, easily.

Plus you pick up money off the ground - what could be easier?

I think slicing is fine and overall money is far too easy to get in TOR to the point that the economy in the game is already a wreck because ALL high level players with any clue at all have hundreds of thousands or millions of credits to throw around without a care.

You don't even need a clue to do the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis, just know they exist. You can make 100-200k in reward money, looted creds and sold junk, plus various degrees of GTNable stuff. Per day. This is probably the main reason the econ is a wreck already. Credits are stupid easy. Anybody in SWTOR paying cash for credits is a complete idiot.

If it were really as bad as you make it out to be, there would have already been a mass exodus away from slicing.

Uh yeah, that's already happened some time ago.

People just aren't running Slicing missions anymore, and for good reason. The rest of us here, in this thread, are just hoping it'll be buffed somewhat again so we won't have to drop a 400 skill.

At this point, can we at least agree that Augment missions need a serious redesign?

I've yet to see anyone disagreeing with that particular issue. :p

No, they aren't.

There's some hopefuls still putting out UT missions for 20-25k but those aren't selling at those prices. And for other skills, such as Diplomacy and Investigation on my servers, I can barely give them away!

Well actually.. yeh they do sell for 25k xD

Sold several of them.

Well when i was still playing.

I just want to add my opinion :

Slicing is O.K. ! WHY? Because you actually profit from it rather than losing credits. The Problem here is that Half of the people are trolling or they have such a high expectations like " Dude I got slicing instead of Crew skill X. I should be filthy rich because it is not connected to any other crafting crew skills => it should make me more credits then the others"

So not everybody can be as rich as a Hutt :csw_jabba:

But the money are enough for you to keep leveling Crew skills :jawa_biggrin:

So don't hate and whine.... game is not perfectly balanced, but it fairly good :rak_frown:

And let the force be with you :csw_yoda:

Well actually.. yeh they do sell for 25k xD

Sold several of them.

Yup, I've bought several for 20-25k. When people are asking 10k for Mandalorean Iron...if it is even to be had on the exchange, I'll definitely buy the UT ones. For that matter, if Mandy Iron was 6k a pop, I'd buy the missions for 25k. It'll give me 4 iron, 8 of the blue metal, plus the same for fabrics, and a gift.

This is the only complaint I have about Slicing: a crew skill that is intended ENTIRELY for making money and getting improvements does not get you as much money as, say, underworld trading due to the nerf on it.

Unfortunately, those of us who have put a lot of time into slicing (for me, rank 320 slicing) are rather upset about it being a useless skill. Therefore, can you implement a way to translate Slicing ranks into some other skill for a limited time?

Sold several of them.

Times are a-changing, prices for Mandalorian Iron have dropped significantly - as have the price of UT missions.

Also, the GTN being full of unsold missions at those prices aren't really compelling evidence.

Slicing is O.K. ! WHY? Because you actually profit from it rather than losing credits.

Not having any crew skills at all is ok! Why? Because you won't actually lose any credits from doing so.

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.

Slicing doesn't exist in a vacuum, it's one of many skills any given character may pick up. Since any given character can't have all skills, why pick up Slicing instead of skill X?

No reason, that's why.

Thus Slicing isn't ok.

I listened to people and tried if I can profit in long term like I did 3-4 days ago... Level 360 slicing 7 hours of misson time(I am level 22 so that means I can only send 2 companions.) I did only grey, abundant or moderate missons... And lost over 20k. Yes No profitat all. And I could only get 1 crit and that too was only a green lockbox and a worthless misson.

I don't want to be rich like a hutt but the problem is short or long term the slicing as it is now, sucks your money... It is garbage.

Sigh. The point is that runnign missions helps grind out the skill and maybe get a few lucky rewards, Bioware obviously don't want it to be a "give me credits" button.

those other can absolutly can and do return a loss.

Sometimes they fail completly sometimes they come back with very little.

Slicing is no diff. Could it use a shot in the arm, sure but no more then the others. T.Hunting is WAY WAY WAY more random and loss possible than slicing.

ie) I can send out for 1.5-2k and come back with a green item that sells for half of that. GTH? lol like Ima bother puting a green quality item on there. However I do find blue items, and relics(they sell ok on GTH) and the very very rare purple usually way lower than my current level possibly useful on an alts companion for a couple/few low levels (big whoop).

PS if you wanna make money right now. pick up bioanalysis and hunt for nodes. its hard NOT to sell bio mats for top dollar right now.

Edited by WutsInAName

My biggest problem since the last patch is the failure of Crit missions to give a good selection of missions.

Since the 1.0 patch (I think, it's since they added the light/dark designations) I've gotten 51 Crit missions. Of those 51, 22 were Diplomacy. I think the problem is that the random generator is counting the Light/Dark missions as two separate mission types instead of a single Diplomacy type.

This needs to be fixed since the only real reason to have slicing at this point is to run for the chance of missions.

Insta-money without any sale of a product or service associated with it is like a Deathstar that shoots inflation missiles. Doubly-so in a game economy where rapid inflation is inevitable as long as the game is popular.

Don't be pissed that you lost your easy button. Be happy that you took advantage of it when you could but that they killed it before it ruined the game.

You're not supposed to make money from mission skills without selling or doing stuff. That's the concept. You make money as you go harvesting safes. And you can use it to get augments and missions. That you can get lockboxes even at a slight loss is awesome. It's a very cheap and effortless way to level the skill that won't negate profit from cracking safes.

Unless of course all you intended to do with that character was farm credits with it.

You don't even need a clue to do the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis, just know they exist. You can make 100-200k in reward money, looted creds and sold junk, plus various degrees of GTNable stuff. Per day. This is probably the main reason the econ is a wreck already. Credits are stupid easy. Anybody in SWTOR paying cash for credits is a complete idiot.

So nerfing Slicing was pointless since there are far easier ways to make even more money than Pre-Nerf Slicing.

I mainly would use big money to get the 400k vaults for myself and my alts (and more vault space after that, if possible), and the ~250,000 credit lvl 40 speeder bike license (and the lvl 50 as well).

Remember, "this be" a game we play for fun. I can always work more at work if I want to work more. I play games to relax, not to work.

Edited by Volki