level skipping bug, with screenshot evidence

Ruvalie

Recently I felt that there were times when my character skipped a level while leveling up. At first I thought I was mistaken, but then someone posted a thread about it in general discussion. However, others claimed it wasn't a bug, but was due to receiving a lot of xp at once, enough to level up more than one level.

I have now captured this bug in screenshots. My character starts out at level 63, at the verge of leveling up to 64. This takes place at 8:39 am.

8aGL01v.jpg

One minute later at 8:40 am she levels up while killing regular mobs in the rakghoul tunnels. No mission completion, no conquest objectives, but she levels up to 65, skipping level 64 entirely.

xtLwRUB.jpg

It is entirely possible, particularly during a double XP event, to gain enough for an entire level. You were very close to level 64 (can't tell how close but very close) and then you got enough XP to take you all the way to level 65 (just barely to 65, from the looks of it).

How would I get enough xp to gain an entire level from killing 2 or 3 regular mobs? That makes no sense whatsoever. I mean, it even shows how much xp I gained in the flytext. Edited by Ruvalie

How would I get enough xp to gain an entire level from killing 2 or 3 regular mobs? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, you didn't show your entire chat log so there's no way to know what objectives you completed and how much XP you were awarded. Yeah, killing 2 or 3 mobs can result in a large XP dump if in killing those 2 or 3 mobs you complete 2 or 3 objectives.

I literally said in the OP that I did not complete any objectives. Did you not read it, or are you accusing me or lying about it?

I did, and I'm saying that your screenshot doesn't show enough information.

So... you're saying that I actually went away in the one minute between the two screenshots and completed a bunch of conquest objectives, and am now lying about it, all for the purpose of... fabricating a bug report?

I'm struggling to find a way to interpret your comments as anything other than a refusal to admit you're wrong.

I'm curious.

How is it you knew this bug was going to occur before it occurred and knew to document the moment before and the moment after?

I'm highly skeptical of the fact you knew this bug occurred and had the presence of mine to document it before it happened and after it happened to provide evidence that the bug occurred.

Because I had suspected it was occurring for some time (again, I mentioned this in the OP). There was a thread about it general discussion, and another one on reddit, so I wasn't the only one. It happened to me yesterday as well on the same character, so I decided to pay close attention whenever I was about to level up in order to catch it.

I find it pretty bizarre that multiple people would think the existence of a bug in a game full of bugs is less likely than my putting in massive amounts of effort in order to troll the few people who read the bug forum.

Edited by Ruvalie

I find it pretty bizarre that multiple people would think the existence of a bug in a game full of bugs is less likely than my putting in massive amounts of effort in order to troll the few people who read the bug forum.

In the second screenie there's clear evidence that you achieved *something* that gave nearly 5K CQP. What was it?

That is, what were the lines immediately above "You gain 4823 Conquest Points."? Did you complete a bonus mission's final objective? Did you therefore complete (a) <Corellia: Mission Complete> and (b) <Corellia: Defeat Enemies 1> (or whatever it is called)?

And I would not call uploading a pair of screenshots to imgur "massive amounts of effort". What people are saying is that there are explanations for what you have seen that do not require any kind of actual bug. A mis-feature perhaps (i.e a feature that is meant to be the way it is, but isn't what it should be)(1), but not an actual bug.

Your chat window in there is only small, so it doesn't show much of the history of what's going on (it retains much more than it shows in your screenies, of course), and there are limits on how many floaty-pops it can show (e.g. "reached new level", "completed an achievement" - a CQP result might well not be visible in the screenie because it hasn't shown it yet).

(1) There have been multiple complaints recently of the "excessive" XP gainable because it's so easy to complete Conquest objectives without really trying. (Lowbie character on Coruscant or Nar Shaddaa has to go to a new area? Boom! N thousand CQP for taking a taxi. Lowbie levelled up? Boom! N thousand CQP for levelling up *or* N thousand for the fifth of five level-ups. That sort of thing. Each of those *also* gives normal XP.)

It's not a matter of the game skipping levels, it's the player skipping math. The xp is simply coming faster than people can count. I went from 48.5 to 50 with one quest completion, but to that quest completion was added conquest for completing 5 levels, and completing conquest gains xp, and it was also for completing the 2nd kill quota on the planet, which gives conquest, which in turn gives xp...

If conquest rewards stack for completing something, it may appear as if a bug is in the works, but it's not. It's just a heck of a lot of xp.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I find it utterly ridiculous that I should have to do this (heaven forbid that I should want to help the developers identify a bug), but here are some more screenshots.

The conquest objectives that I have completed today: bmg5eta.jpg

Note that there are only five of them. Two, the space mission and the bonus mission, were completed on another character earlier in the day. Here is another screenshot showing that: h3eZ309.jpg I'm sure you're going to ask why I took a screenshot of that - it was because it was the first time I completed all of the bonus missions on that particular space mission (see the new codex entry).

Now I'm sure you're going to try to claim that the other three were what caused me to skip a level. Those were in fact completed on the same character in the OP - but it happened before the first screenshot in the OP. Here is another screenshot of her before she handed in the mission which caused her to complete those three objectives: viDIgbp.jpg Why did I take a screenshot of that? Because I thought she might get enough xp to level up here, but it turned out to be not quite enough.

Which actually goes to show that the premise of the people arguing with me in this post is wrong: even when I completed one mission + three conquest objectives all at once, it was actually less than half a level's worth of xp, definitely not more than an entire level.

I must admit I always thought these reports are urban myths and level skipping does not happen, until it did happen to me a few days ago. I don't have any screenshots or any other proof, but my lvl 73 character suddenly jumped to max level only by completing the second stage of the "kill 50 enemies on Tython" conquest objective. Even if you take into account all the additional xp that I earned from completing that conquest objective during the double xp event and wearing a full xp armor set, this would still not add up to a full level skip in this level range.

I am now convinced that level skipping is directly tied to the changes they made to the conquest system and how it interacts with your character level. Mind you I am not annoyed by it in the slightest and it is a bug that is beneficial to the player, but something is definitely not working right here.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I find it utterly ridiculous that I should have to do this (heaven forbid that I should want to help the developers identify a bug), but here are some more screenshots.

Nobody objects to you trying to help the developers identify the bug. We object to you seeing something odd and assuming there's a bug (there might *be* a bug, for sure, but it isn"t guaranteed), and providing "proof" that doesn't contain enough information to prove it.

You still haven't answered my question: what gave you 4823 Conquest points at that moment? You don't get *that* many CQP for killing *any* mob, so you completed *something*, and the Flytext of the CQP is clearly visible, so it *was* at the same time as the level-up.

So, again, what did you complete that gave you those CQP?

I don't know. I can only think it was part of the bug, and that I got a bunch of conquest points that I didn't earn at the same time I got a bunch of xp that I didn't earn. Or that I was supposed to get the conquest objective "gain a level" and somehow it wasn't marked as completed even though I got the conquest points, which would also be a bug. Of course, 4k conquest points would only equate to one conquest objective, which wouldn't give enough xp to skip an entire level. But then I'm bad at math according to another poster in this thread, so what do I know? Never mind the fact that I'm the only one who's actually attempted to do any math, while everyone else is attacking me and calling me a liar based on nothing but feelings.

Why don't some of you try providing some evidence for a change? Your argument (if such it can be called) rests on the claim that you can gain enough xp instantaneously via conquest objectives to gain two levels at once. Well, prove it. Pick a level between 60 and 70, look up how much xp it takes to go from one level to the next, and calculate how many conquest objectives you would have to complete simultaneously in order to skip a level. Go on, I dare you.

I don't know. I can only think it was part of the bug, and that I got a bunch of conquest points that I didn't earn at the same time I got a bunch of xp that I didn't earn. Or that I was supposed to get the conquest objective "gain a level" and somehow it wasn't marked as completed even though I got the conquest points, which would also be a bug. Of course, 4k conquest points would only equate to one conquest objective, which wouldn't give enough xp to skip an entire level. But then I'm bad at math according to another poster in this thread, so what do I know? Never mind the fact that I'm the only one who's actually attempted to do any math, while everyone else is attacking me and calling me a liar based on nothing but feelings.

The math you did was based on incomplete information, so it's somewhat devalued. And telling you that you are mistaken is something different to calling you a liar.

Why don't some of you try providing some evidence for a change? Your argument (if such it can be called) rests on the claim that you can gain enough xp instantaneously via conquest objectives to gain two levels at once. Well, prove it. Pick a level between 60 and 70, look up how much xp it takes to go from one level to the next, and calculate how many conquest objectives you would have to complete simultaneously in order to skip a level. Go on, I dare you.

Let's look at what you could/might have found if you had looked in your chat log, specifically that there might have been multiple objectives completed together.

For sake of argument, I'm going to go back to it being the following things that happened together (it's an entirely feasible combination, by the way, although it probably doesn't happen very often):

* Killed a mob that actually tipped you over to the next level.

* But killing the mob was also number 25 of 25 for <Corellia: Defeat Enemies 1> or number 50 of 50 for <Corellia: Defeat Enemies 2>.

* And it was the last mob required for <Rakghoul Tunnels: Defeat Enemies>.

* And it was also number 15 of 15 (say) for a bonus mission to kill that many trashmobs.

* And that bonus mission was a mission for <Corellia: Mission Complete>.

* And it was a bonus mission for <Missions: Bonus Mission>.

* And it was a mission for <Missions: Taskmaster>.

Every single one of those things gives CQP, and the mob and the bonus mission directly give XP, and the Conquest objectives give XP. The CQP is delivered in separate packets rather than one big lump, and so is the XP, and there may be a bug in how Flytext displays that many things happening at once. (The chat log certainly shows each packet of XP as a separate item.)

No, I'm not saying that that *did* happen, merely that if it did happen, it could explain the two-level gain. More accurately, mind you, it would explain there being two one-level gains.

Now, just to check, the Conquest page of the mission log panel shows all of those objectives at 84232 XP each on a level 62 character for a total of 421160, and level 62s require a little over a million XP to level up to 63. What I don't know is if the XP shown there is bugged, and if so, how it is bugged. Renown XP displayed in mission objectives is (was?) bugged in a way that inflated it, and who knows, they might have *fixed* it and in the process broken the display of ordinary XP, so that it doesn't apply any of the bonuses in the displayed figure. Given that we are in a "double" XP time *and* you are a subscriber, there could in theory be at least +125% on top (+100% for the double XP event, +25% for the subscriber bonus), which brings that 421160 up to 947610, which is pretty close to that million. (And in the scenario there was *also* a killed mob *and* a bonus mission giving XP.)

Yes, it's a bt of a stretch, and does rely on there being another bug instead of the one you're reporting, but it does show how the bug might be not the one you think it is, *and* how it *could* have given you two levels almost simultaneously, triggered (apparently) by you killing one trashmob.

One last thing, which I say in a spirit of helping you and anyone else reading: a couple of things if you ever have occasion to do this sort of screenshot again:

* Expand your chat window before taking the screenshot to show more information.

* Dig in the options to add nearest-second timestamps to what gets put in the chat log(1). It's not retroactive, unfortunately, so you'll have to activate it before the thing happens.

Both of these will help you (and people you show the screenshots to) to interpret the results more accurately.

(1) In the Chat section of the main Preferences panel, top left in the right-hand side.

There are several problems with your list.

1. Enemies killed in the rakghoul tunnels only count towards Rakghoul Tunnels: Defeat Enemies. They do NOT count towards Corellia: Defeat Enemies 1 or 2. There is no one mob you could kill that could complete both of these objectives.

2. Not a single rakghoul tunnel mission has a bonus mission.

3. I had already completed Missions: Bonus Mission earlier in the day, along with Corellia: Mission Complete, before the first screenshot in my OP.

4. At the time of the second screenshot in the OP, Missions: Taskmaster and Rakghoul Tunnels: Defeat Enemies were still incomplete.

You say that you're not calling me a liar, and yet there is no way for you to claim I completed all those missions without also claiming the other screenshot I posted, showing which conquest objectives I had completed and which I had not, was false, and that what I said about not completing any conquest objectives was likewise false. Literally the only conquest objective I could have completed in that moment was Advancement: Gain a Level. It didn't show as complete, and I was able to complete it later in the day, but even if there was some bug preventing it from showing up, one conquest objective does not grant enough xp for an entire level.

I also went and checked to see how much xp was needed to gain a level. Here are the results.

1091925 xp to level up from 61 to 62

conquest objectives grant 63812 xp at level 61

1252570 xp to level up from 65 to 66

conquest objectives grant 66987 xp at level 65

I'm not sure why you're seeing more xp for conquest objectives than I am. Are you perhaps in a guild, or have any legacy xp boosts unlocked? None of those things apply to me. You are also mistaken in thinking that the amount shown does not reflect double xp. Try activating a white acute module and it will show half as much.

Anyway, calculating from the above, leveling up twice would require 17 conquest objectives at level 61, and 18 at level 65. I'm pretty curious as to what content I could do that would complete 17-18 conquest objectives simultaneously.

Edited by Ruvalie

You say that you're not calling me a liar, and yet there is no way for you to claim I completed all those missions without also claiming the other screenshot I posted, showing which conquest objectives I had completed and which I had not, was false, and that what I said about not completing any conquest objectives was likewise false.

As I said, it was a scenario. OK, there's specific errors in the scenario, but it's only a scenario, and I even denied that it was *definitely* a description of what happened ("I'm not saying that's what happened"), just that it's quite possible to pile up lots of conquest objectives at once triggered by a single action, maybe even enough to get two levels at once.

Or there really is a bug that it somehow awards you a thousand XP for killing a mob and you gain two levels instead of only one. Or, more likely, that there is a Conquest objective that gives a bugged XP award. Without knowing what gave you those CQP and what else was logged in the chat log, there's no way for any of us out here to say for sure. (And given that you don't remember what it was, I'd say that you can't be sure either.)

I have clearly done the math to show that you would need to complete at least 17 conquest objectives at once in order to gain enough xp to skip a level. You still haven't explained how that would be possible. The scenario you describe would NOT give enough xp to skip a level, so it doesn't provide a viable alternative explanation at all.

There is nothing I don't remember. I was not granted a single conquest objective in that moment. There was no popup saying I had completed a conquest objective. In my conquest tab, there were not a single objective listed as complete afterwards that was not already complete previously, let alone 17 of them.

Since your argument boils down to your feeling that double xp should give enough xp to skip a level, even though the math clearly disproves that claim, I frankly doubt whether you are arguing in good faith at all. Normally I assume the best of everyone, but since no one else was willing to extend the same courtesy to me, perhaps all of you are trying to deny there's a bug because you want to continue gaining a bunch of levels you didn't earn.

I have clearly done the math to show that you would need to complete at least 17 conquest objectives at once in order to gain enough xp to skip a level. You still haven't explained how that would be possible. The scenario you describe would NOT give enough xp to skip a level, so it doesn't provide a viable alternative explanation at all.

You didn't actually read my last post, did you?

Specifically this statement:

Or, more likely, that there is a Conquest objective that gives a bugged XP award.

There is nothing I don't remember. I was not granted a single conquest objective in that moment. There was no popup saying I had completed a conquest objective. In my conquest tab, there were not a single objective listed as complete afterwards that was not already complete previously, let alone 17 of them.

OK, so tell us where those 4823 CQP came from if they weren't from a Conquest objective? They came from *somewhere*, and they came *right* *then* because the Fly Text is there in your screenshot.

OK, so tell us where those 4823 CQP came from if they weren't from a Conquest objective? They came from *somewhere*, and they came *right* *then* because the Fly Text is there in your screenshot.

Further, right before those 4823 Conquest points were awarded they received 22325 XP, and right after those Conquest points they received 5336 and 3672 credits, which they would not be getting just from killing two or three mobs as they claim. Something awarded that XP, Conquest points, and credits and that something is very likely listed in the chat log. But we can't see it because their log only shows five lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. It appears I owe OP an apology.

I have a better screenshot that shows this bug: https://i.imgur.com/cYMM2lu.jpg

Just before the red line (highlighted by a red arrow) in the chat window, my character was level 29, and gained 724 XP by killing the last enemy needed to finish some kind of bonus mission (this is Story Black Talon). The mission itself gave me the 9177 XP, shown just below the red line. As you can see, I reached level 31. (Level 31 is 144320 XP long, for information.) Reaching level 31 granted the <Advancement: Gain a Level> Conquest objective, including 5129 CQP and 997 credits, and (according to the Conquest panel, but not visible in the Chat window) 9426 XP.

So, having gained 724+9177+(possibly)9426 XP, I went from level 29 to level 31. None of the numbers add up very well, nor are they consistent with each other or what happened. It's entirely possible that the 9177 shown in the chat window *is* the award for the Conquest objective (at level 29 or 30), and the 29-30 level gain was caused by the 724 XP, with the bug causing the gain from 30 to 31.

Bug.

This bug is still active outside of double XP.

My wife went from halfway through lvl 41 to lvl 43 by just handing in her weekly pvp mission at the vendor. She had no xp boosters on except being in the guild. She had no legacy boosters activated.

(It was very annoying because we had to stop playing together because she went into a different pvp bracket)

This bug is still active outside of double XP.

Indeed. My post above was made just minutes after it happened, three days after double XP ended.

I *think* the problem comes from gaining XP that triggers a level gain *in*combat* (specifically killing a foe) and *at the same time* completing a Conquest objective. It's moderately amusing that in my case, the Conquest objective was for gaining a level, but it could have been a monster-kill objective.

It doesn't seem to happen for a Conquest objective triggered at the same time as an out-of-combat level gain. Last time I gained a level from the XP gained by finishing a mission, I *also* completed the "gain 5 levels" objective, but I only gained one level, not two.