this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

lord-durpp

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is

Why can't they keep the EU and make new movie at that same time? Just choose another era.

because like I said only a very small portion of the community knows about the EU. So to do a movie in another era you would get a much larger part of that fan base saying "What is this? This isn't star wars where are the characters I know? Who are these people?"

So they do Episode 7 and bring Han , Luke and Leia (obviously much older now) as something familer then they slowly bring in the new stuff. Eventually they get rid of Han Luke an Leia.

easy look at ticket sales for the movies. The prequels easily sold well over 100 million tickets each.

The books at best only ever sell around 100k

do the math that comes out to less then 1%.

If you want to look at the break down the books are pretty much the smallest part of the pie

http://www.statisticbrain.com/star-wars-total-franchise-revenue/

The EU is still a big part of Star Wars and ditching it will piss off a lot more than one percent of the fan base. Again, Disney would be foolish to do so. I will say it again...The haters of the EU will be disappointed when it is not removed from existance. There is way too much out there in terms of characters and settings to just dump. Some of the most popular characters are EU ones. Why would Disney trash those instead of try to cash in on them? The EU is bigger than people think.

The EU is still a big part of Star Wars and ditching it will piss off a lot more than one percent of the fan base. Again, Disney would be foolish to do so. I will say it again...The haters of the EU will be disappointed when it is not removed from existance. There is way too much out there in terms of characters and settings to just dump. Some of the most popular characters are EU ones. Why would Disney trash those instead of try to cash in on them? The EU is bigger than people think.

even if it pissed off say 20% of the fan base they would still watch the new Episode. If they managed to stay with Star Wars through Episode 1-3 there is very little that will actually make them leave.

More fans will be happy just to have a Star Wars movie NOT made by George Lucas.

You are also wrong about the Characters. The most popular ones are still the ones from the OT.

Vader is the Highest Selling Character followed by

Boba Fett then Han Solo

Not a single EU would even crack the top 20.

Also remember every year there are millions of new Star Wars fans as kids grow up watching the Clone Wars and the Prequels.

More people know about the Clone Wars show then they do the EU and the Post ROTJ stuff.

Also Remember they already said that Episode 7 would be something original and not draw from any source.

That one statement pretty much says what Disney's plan for the post ROTJ EU is.

edit: Look at Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson took some pretty BIG liberites with the story and there are a LOT of hardcore Tolken fans and they were really pissed off. But guess what? It didn't hurt the sales of the movie at all.

edit edit: Want more proof? Look at what they did with Marvel and the Avengers. Now yes they kept the origin stories the same... for the most part. But granted the origin stories have been rewritten so many times. Look what they did with the sequels and the Avengers.

Iron Man 2. New story, Whiplash is a combination of 2 characters, Justin Hammer nothing like how he is in the comics, Iron Mans paladium posioning is new and not in comics, War Machines Orgin completely new.

Avengers- plot has never existed in the comics. They completley disregaurded the comics when they made it.

Thor- I really don't know enough about thor to say much about it but I do know that Loki isn't a frost giant in the comic.

Iron Man 3. I know they are going a new direction for the Mandrain (he is not asian in teh movie) and The Iron Patriot is nothing like he is in the Comics. (in the comics he is Norman Osborne from Spiderman)

But it didn't piss off the fans.

Edited by jarjarloves

easy look at ticket sales for the movies. The prequels easily sold well over 100 million tickets each.

The books at best only ever sell around 100k

do the math that comes out to less then 1%.

If you want to look at the break down the books are pretty much the smallest part of the pie

http://www.statisticbrain.com/star-wars-total-franchise-revenue/

And the video games? They make a lot of money too. EU isn't just the books.

As for the link, that has the books as earning more than 1%.

Thor- I really don't know enough about thor to say much about it but I do know that Loki isn't a frost giant in the comic..

http://marvel.com/universe/Loki

And the video games? They make a lot of money too. EU isn't just the books.

As for the link, that has the books as earning more than 1%.

http://marvel.com/universe/Loki

the video games have never been considered canon. for the most parts. Yeah the old republic sort of has but thats so far away that no one cares. Things like Masters of Teras Kasi and Star Wars demolition have not. Or the RTS like Galactic Battlegrounds or the beloved Battlefront is also not canon.

As for loki haven't heard that one is that a new origin story?

Like I said the comic universe have been rewritten so many times and sure people complain for a bit but they still read them.

The key is keeping to what makes Star Wars Star wars. As long as they get the tone of the movies right it doesn't matter if its a new story or not.

the video games have never been considered canon. for the most parts. Yeah the old republic sort of has but thats so far away that no one cares. Things like Masters of Teras Kasi and Star Wars demolition have not. Or the RTS like Galactic Battlegrounds or the beloved Battlefront is also not canon.

Pretty sure the video games are still considered canon on the level of the books and comics, at least for now. And you're forgetting games like TFU. Battlefront, as far as I'm aware, is considered canon, not sure about Demolition and Galactic Battlegrounds.

Like I said the comic universe have been rewritten so many times and sure people complain for a bit but they still read them.

This I agree to. Star Wars will be the same; no matter how much hate the fans will have toward the new movies, they'll watch them.

The problem is

Why can't they keep the EU and make new movie at that same time? Just choose another era.

Thats not so easy, look at a Star Wars timeline and you'll find its pretty full up. Sure they could create an entirely new era after Krayt and that but i'm not sure they'd want to. As someone said, the majority of the fans just watch the films and maybe play some games, they'll want to work of material already in the original trilogy. However I see no reason why they can't remould the EU - I mean really how important are those obscure post ROTJ comics and books anyway. The Thrawn Trilogy of course has to stay, but characters like Mara Jade, Thrawn, Jerec and Kyle Katarn can be taken and implemented into a new trilogy, maybe reworking some of the things already in the EU and creating new storyline that hasn't yet been covered, it could work. But it depends on how 'original' they want this trilogy to be.

In 2009 Jim Dorey of the blog, Marketsaw, had an anonymous source contact him and claimed that Lucasfilm were already working on Star Wars: Episodes VII, VIII & IX. And just a short while ago that same anonymous source provided more information about the planned sequels which you can check out in full here, or you can read the key points below. Some of them condensed by Bleeding Cool.

Luke Skywalker is a primary focus, as are many of the original trilogy cast (Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C3PO and R2D2). Disney also realised that George Lucas and STAR WARS are one and the same, so George will certainly have a voice on any angle taken, in fact I believe it's one of many stipulations. However he will no longer have creative control,

I don't believe the empire was completely destroyed by the end of Return of the Jedi.

Mark Hamill is a certainty.

There are two trilogies planned, all following an original overview by Lucas, which was always planned as a multi generational saga. Movies 10 - 12 are from my understanding about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker.

The movies from what I understand will adopt the Harry Potter model, and will be aggressively brought to the forefront of popular entertainment once again with consistent installments.

Rewritten from previously secret drafts from way back during the making of the original trilogy. The main problem was the age of the cast, and the tone of the story. You will see a tone more in line with the original trilogy, and specifically featuring that cast

Live action TV show - The scripts already written will be absorbed in some way into a TV format. Basically they are 45 minute long feature films. With concepts that are very ambitious and the fact that it focuses on characters that are not known and are completely different to what people may have in mind about a STARWARS TV show.

Disney are “all over” restoring the original trilogy.

This mysterious source also lists the names of some directors that were being “bandied about” – Steven Spielberg, Neill Blomkamp, Alfonso Cuaron, Matthew Vaughn, Darren Aronofsky and Joss Whedon.

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=69597#XJvlhDURfu5KqDzk.99

Not sure how true this is.

I just want them to retcon everything except the 6 movies. There should be no reason that Disney doesn't go their own direction with movies, comics, t.v. shows or anything else. Im sorry but im old and anything star wars past RoTJ has sucked. Jedi Knight 2 was playable but seriously we need a retcon on anything past EP.6

So you want another "Highlander" cluster****.... Seriously, that's what happens when NOBODY pays attention to continuity. Good luck with that.

So you want another "Highlander" cluster****.... Seriously, that's what happens when NOBODY pays attention to continuity. Good luck with that.

And what is the star wars univers now if not to use your words a cluster****. I fail in the highlander reference I guess. Thought the TV show was better than any of the movies.

And what is the star wars univers now if not to use your words a cluster****. I fail in the highlander reference I guess. Thought the TV show was better than any of the movies.

Right now, the ExU does have continuity, even if the stories have gotten to the "Dragonball Z" realm of ridiculousness. The continuity of the franchise is kept in check by Leland Chee, since that's his job. I agree with you that the Highlander TV series was way better than any of the movies. Doesn't change the fact that no effort was made to keep that universe coherent as far as continuity goes.

With Star Wars, we've never had a Highlander moment where something in one novel is completely destroyed by the next novel. Highlander being destroyed by Highlander II, for example. Or that ill-advised cartoon series that takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

One thing we've always had in Star Wars was continuity. Those who claim that George never cared about the Expanded Universe need to do some more research before speaking. In fact, he did a LOT to keep the Prequels in line with the established Expanded Universe. Using the name Coruscant for the Capital of the Republic. Including Aayla Secura in the ranks of the Jedi. Using the term Mandalorians when referring to Fett's people. NONE of those terms were George Lucas creations, yet he used them so that he could keep some form of continuity with what was already established.

Even the account of The Clone Wars in The Thrawn Trilogy was kept as a rumor, since the "insane clones" was true from a certain point of view. For those not knowing about Order 66, the clones attacking and killing Jedi for no apparent reason would look like insanity.

Pretty sure the video games are still considered canon on the level of the books and comics, at least for now. And you're forgetting games like TFU. Battlefront, as far as I'm aware, is considered canon, not sure about Demolition and Galactic Battlegrounds.

This I agree to. Star Wars will be the same; no matter how much hate the fans will have toward the new movies, they'll watch them.

Battlefront just takes battles that we know happend and allows you to play in them. Allthough if one side wins a battle thats not canon.

TFU is a weird one. They say it's canon supposedly G-canon but it in no way fits into the actual canon. It doesn't even fit into C-canon. I mean you talk to Yoda on Degobah so how did this not come up when he talked to Luke?

"Oh hey watch out there is another Jedi who can pull entire Star Destroyers out of space. "

Edited by jarjarloves

Battlefront just takes battles that we know happend and allows you to play in them. Allthough if one side wins a battle thats not canon.

TFU is a weird one. They say it's canon supposedly G-canon but it in no way fits into the actual canon. It doesn't even fit into C-canon. I mean you talk to Yoda on Degobah so how did this not come up when he talked to Luke?

"Oh hey watch out there is another Jedi who can pull entire Star Destroyers out of space. "

TFU is G-Canon???? Ummm, no. The Canon story in it is C-Canon at best, like with all Star Wars videogames that actually have multiple branching story paths. One outcome is C-Canon, while all the other endiings are N-Canon. TFU would have to be written or co-written by George Lucas himself to be G-Canon.

Who the hell ever said it was G-Canon???

TFU is G-Canon???? Ummm, no. The Canon story in it is C-Canon at best, like with all Star Wars videogames that actually have multiple branching story paths. One outcome is C-Canon, while all the other endiings are N-Canon. TFU would have to be written or co-written by George Lucas himself to be G-Canon.

Who the hell ever said it was G-Canon???

oh so it would mean that it would take George Lucas to say it's offiically part of the story... if only he did

oh wait he did

http://web.archive.org/web/20080720124210/http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1823817,00.html

Don't you play as the 501st throughout the entire campaign mode? Showing their victories? I thought that part was canon.

I mean you talk to Yoda on Degobah so how did this not come up when he talked to Luke?

Well, that isn't really an inconsistency, Yoda didn't have any reason to bring up. It still fits in fine with the rest.

Don't you play as the 501st throughout the entire campaign mode? Showing their victories? I thought that part was canon.

It is. JarJar over there has a very skewed outlook on what is and isn't Canon. Story mode in Star Wars videogames is considered C-Canon. Gameplay mechanics aren't.

oh so it would mean that it would take George Lucas to say it's offiically part of the story... if only he did

oh wait he did

http://web.archive.org/web/20080720124210/http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1823817,00.html

He also said the same about the overall story in TCW. It's still classified as T-Canon. He also endorsed Shadows of the Empire and The Thrawn Trilogy, not to mention Dark Empire. Surprise, surprise! Those are STILL considered C-Canon. Seriously, for someone who claims he knows everything about the Star Wars Canon system, you really don't know squat.

He also said the same about the overall story in TCW. It's still classified as T-Canon. He also endorsed Shadows of the Empire and The Thrawn Trilogy, not to mention Dark Empire. Surprise, surprise! Those are STILL considered C-Canon. Seriously, for someone who claims he knows everything about the Star Wars Canon system, you really don't know squat.

this was different they even promoted it as being G-canon. It was pretty much just a sales stunt but they went around claiming this is the only official new star wars thing we will be getting.

even if it is C-canon it still contradicts G-canon which would make it N-canon.

Edited by jarjarloves

Well, that isn't really an inconsistency, Yoda didn't have any reason to bring up. It still fits in fine with the rest.

I don't know telling Luke he is the last Jedi and then not mentioning that he just had another jedi come by the other day?

Then you got other things like the fact that there are all these Jedi running around when Obi Wan and Yoda are supposed to be the only ones left.

As for Battlefront it's more then just their campaigns there are several battles that don't take place as well as some you have to win to advance the story but in the actual canon they lose. I remember there was a website that had the all the details of the canon it broke. I'll see if I can find it.

Basicaly I would say Battlefront you have to take with a huge grain of salt.

Then you got other games like Star Wars Kinecs

I don't know telling Luke he is the last Jedi and then not mentioning that he just had another jedi come by the other day?

Then you got other things like the fact that there are all these Jedi running around when Obi Wan and Yoda are supposed to be the only ones left.

This has already been established in canon though, it was always canon that several Jedi - not just Obi Wan and Yoda survived Order 66 (otherwise there would have been no Jedi Purge after) and there is tons of canon story based around this, which basically makes up Darth Vader's (being Anakin as a Sith Lords) life story.

This has already been established in canon though, it was always canon that several Jedi - not just Obi Wan and Yoda survived Order 66 (otherwise there would have been no Jedi Purge after) and there is tons of canon story based around this, which basically makes up Darth Vader's (being Anakin as a Sith Lords) life story.

i'm talking about when A New Hope starts. At that point it's only supposed to be Obi Wan and Yoda.

i'm talking about when A New Hope starts. At that point it's only supposed to be Obi Wan and Yoda.

The events of TFU occurred before a New Hope, 3 BBY - 1 BBY and the events of TFU 2 occur in 1 BBY. So before a New Hope all those Jedi Starkiller hunt down are dead and Rahm Kota for a time is presumed dead and never actually meets Yoda or Obi Wan. Whatsmore, there is still a year between the events of a New Hope and the end of TFU 2 and I assume in that period Rahm Kota dies and Vader escapes. As for that stuff about Starkiller visiting Yoda, for one he was a clone and secondly he could also easily, and probably most likely, have died between 1BBY and 0 BBY. I expect this will all be cleared up in TFU 3 or some other material and the Star Wars timeline will continued unpeturbed. :D