Legacy Names. How are you handling them RP-wise

Zavia

for your characters? I'm having a problem with how to integrate a legacy name for my characters. They will vary so much that having them related doesn't make sense so it took me a while to come up with something I could live with. I settled on using a name that connects them through a shared experience, so now they're more oathbound together rather than related.

So how are you all dealing with your Legacy name, or are you even taking one?

for your characters? I'm having a problem with how to integrate a legacy name for my characters. They will vary so much that having them related doesn't make sense so it took me a while to come up with something I could live with. I settled on using a name that connects them through a shared experience, so now they're more oathbound together rather than related.

I only play humans as I severely dislike the other choices we get, and so it's an extended family clan. Simple. Effective.

The Oathbound thing works though.

Or they could all be part of a military unit, or originate from the same planet, or somesuch.

I am thinking that I could somehow link all of my planned RP characters, except for maybe Jedi and Sith, but I plan to RP blaster-users anyhow.

I have yet to come up with a legacy surname, but I plan on making it something sounding like a Squad name, ie, the Orion Legacy, and I can say that they were all once of the (example, not actual) Orion Squad before becoming a Trooper/Smuggler/Agent/Bounty Hunter

I hate the system, but my plan is to either turn them off for other characters, or simply shrug and call it a coincidence.

There's millions of inhabited planets in the galaxy and quadrillions of sentients out there. The fact that more than one person (even from different species) happen to share a name but be completely unrelated is unsurprising.

I ended up using my real family name. So far though, I think only suitable workaround is to hide it for your alts as suggested above.

In addition, excuse me if totally wrong on the matter, but aren't Humans and Cyborgs quite easy to mix. For example, my character is a cyborg (as in-game choice); however, RP wise it is human that has his head burned on the left side, so medics patch him up with some metal plates. You can always twist the background story a bit if you ask me :confused:

My Legacy name won't be shared across my characters. By that I mean it will be turned off on other characters I create. There is a reason for this, and a reason I am perfectly happy with it. My surname, Fergo, is my character's clan name.

The other character I have is a Sith Lord, and it makes no sense for him to bear a Mandalorian clan name, even if he was somehow related to my main. And as a Sith, Lord Avidan suits him much better than if it was Lord Avidan Fergo. Most Sith don't even bear a last name when they get promoted to Lord or Darth.

I think Legacy is a poorly thought out system and displays a disregard for what RP actually is.

As my characters are of different races and factions, there is no way that they would have any connection across the 'divide'. So a Legacy name is both out of character and hidden for my characters.

I think Legacy is a poorly thought out system and displays a disregard for what RP actually is.

As my characters are of different races and factions, there is no way that they would have any connection across the 'divide'. So a Legacy name is both out of character and hidden for my characters.

I too would have preferred another way of implementing surnames, but... it's the next best thing. Another way to have a legacy system is possible, although I have no idea what that would be, but at least we have a surname for a single character or related ones... for most RPers, that is.

Would have preferred a surname that could be shared with other players, but was a part of the character creation process. If you marry or adopt (IC) another player character you could then transfer your name to them, and they could in the future opt out of that. Kind of like the titles, but more RP friendly. That is my dream.

We must get used to being the third most important customers.

I too would have preferred another way of implementing surnames, but... it's the next best thing. Another way to have a legacy system is possible, although I have no idea what that would be, but at least we have a surname for a single character or related ones... for most RPers, that is.

Would have preferred a surname that could be shared with other players, but was a part of the character creation process. If you marry or adopt (IC) another player character you could then transfer your name to them, and they could in the future opt out of that. Kind of like the titles, but more RP friendly. That is my dream.

We must get used to being the third most important customers.

LotRO has a similar system, where Destiny points are collected across all the characters on a server. But there is no enforced single name. Each character is able to have a different surname and I would like to see an explanation from BW as to why they have taken the stance they have.

As I play the game more, there are more and more things that make me feel uncomfortable and have me wondering how long I will actually play this game for. I suspect it's not going to match the 7.5 years I played SWG.

I couldn't agree more. I actually found this thread because I was curious after seeing players with surnames. I had heard a tiny bit about Legacy being the reason but I would never have thought it worked like it does...

I too have a variety of characters for which this ridiculous system just ruins. I don't even play on a RP server, just play around with it on a pve server with friends, but I take naming very very seriously, and this really upset me. I wanted my Twi'lek's to be obscure members of an already existing house and my humans to be unrelated and... it just ruined it. Now, if I'm lucky, one character will get a last name and the rest will be bastards. Great.

I wish Bioware had thought this out a bit more before implementing it.

I'm not using my Legacy title as anything roleplay. It's hidden on my main character because I've choosen to have my Legacy name as my main character (and usual web name) : Elloa.

I'll use the title for my alts, so they will be easily recognised by the community as beeing my characters. But this will not be used for RP either. Don't specialy want my character to be related.

When I heard about the Legacy system, I started racking my brains for a solution that would work RP-wise. Here's what I have:

The Kildares are a loose affiliation of orphans from planets across Hutt space. The 'family' as it is called, was founded on Nar Shaddaa about a generation ago, by a gang of orphans living in the slums of the moon. Not long after being founded, several members were captured and enslaved. However, they maintained the family, bringing other orphans they met elsewhere into the fold. Though many of the Kildares have now grown up and moved on, they still remember their humble beginnings. Some have escaped Hutt space, and now work for themselves, for the Republic, or for the Empire. Most maintain the surname 'Kildare', for one reason or another.

Basically, the story of the Kildares lets me have characters with my Legacy name of different races and factions. The family isn't one of blood, but of choice. When it doesn't fit with a particular character as I create him/her, I'll just turn the name off.

When I heard about the Legacy system, I started racking my brains for a solution that would work RP-wise. Here's what I have:

The Kildares are a loose affiliation of orphans from planets across Hutt space. The 'family' as it is called, was founded on Nar Shaddaa about a generation ago, by a gang of orphans living in the slums of the moon. Not long after being founded, several members were captured and enslaved. However, they maintained the family, bringing other orphans they met elsewhere into the fold. Though many of the Kildares have now grown up and moved on, they still remember their humble beginnings. Some have escaped Hutt space, and now work for themselves, for the Republic, or for the Empire. Most maintain the surname 'Kildare', for one reason or another.

Basically, the story of the Kildares lets me have characters with my Legacy name of different races and factions. The family isn't one of blood, but of choice. When it doesn't fit with a particular character as I create him/her, I'll just turn the name off.

That's a really interesting approach. Three of my characters were stuck in a life or death situation when young where they had to learn to cooperate and trust each other. Out of that came a blood-oath they now share that's reflected in their surname. I think if I had to do it over again I'd just turn it off like some of you all are doing. :)

For character that are apart of my family, ill show the name

For those that are not, Ill just hide Legacy name title and act like it doesnt exist

NOT EVERY CHARACTER needs alegacy name showing after all. :)

The way I am looking at it, is more of a clan name, then a family name. Like in days gone by, the "Clan Jones" generic name but go with it. You could become part of the clan or the "family" even if you where not blood related.

So yeah I think of them as a Clan name or a House name. Where anyone can earn a place in the "family"