The Force is Weak

Aribethx

Go back and watch the trailers for this game. See how awesome the force users are in those vids. Lightsabers flash and whirl, deflecting blaster fire and engaging in mortal combat. No one can stand against the force wielding, lightsaber wielding Sith and Jedi except other Sith and Jedi. At best, troopers and bounty hunters, agents and scoundrels can drive off force users. They are simply the pinnacle of combat warriors.

And in this game, missiles, knives and blasters own everything in sight. Doesn't seem right.

How many Jedi/Sith/BH etc did Jango Fett and Han Solo kill in the movie/books ?

They were the most awesome non force users out there, and it's those kind of

characters the none force users are in this game that the players can be.

Edited by Lord_Karsk

I so wanted to be a bounty hunter because of how ****** Boba Fett is. Course I found out they're stuck with the goth kids so I rolled Vanguard. Really enjoying it, as people typically don't expect much out of a vanguard, especially someone specced tactics.

And I don't feel sorry at all about them getting the focus off force crap, I was always more interested in the sci-fi portions of Star Wars rather than the high fantasy.

Not saying that I think Jedi and Sith need buffs. I'm saying that the trailers were misleading.

I didn't think Malgus almost getting shanked or grenade punched in the face during the Hope trailer was too misleading. Probably one of the videos that helped me initially go "yeah, troopers are bad arsed".

Go back and watch the trailers for this game. See how awesome the force users are in those vids. Lightsabers flash and whirl, deflecting blaster fire and engaging in mortal combat. No one can stand against the force wielding, lightsaber wielding Sith and Jedi except other Sith and Jedi. At best, troopers and bounty hunters, agents and scoundrels can drive off force users. They are simply the pinnacle of combat warriors.

And in this game, missiles, knives and blasters own everything in sight. Doesn't seem right.

A good Jedi or Sith can dominate in PvP.

Lesser Jedi and Sith died in the movies, shows and books all the time.

I didn't think Malgus almost getting shanked or grenade punched in the face during the Hope trailer was too misleading. Probably one of the videos that helped me initially go "yeah, troopers are bad arsed".

lol yeah that part was cool. But the trooper that does that is going down until a certain Jedi shows up...

The trailers for this game highlight the awesomeness of the Force users. It caters to newcomers with promises of glory and power with lightsabers. And why do we wonder why so many new players with lightsabers are in our WZs and on our teams?

Honestly SWG did it right to begin with. People could play regular classes and only a very rare few could ever get Jedi characters, even then they had to hide because there was perma-death. My friend was one of the first Jedi in SWG and it was really amazing... you would see people talking about sightings of him in chat, there would be rumors about who his main character really was and there was this awe surrounding Jedi like there should be.

This game is WoW in space. It takes the marketable aspects of Star Wars and shoves them in your face to get you playing.

This game is the Jar Jar Binks of MMO's.

Seriously... space combat on rails? Yeah, who would have thought space sombat would be important to a IP based around space travel and giant space battles? Jedi and Sith playing "Huttball" in an arena? Yeah, real "heroic". Oh, and "mirrored" classes? Yeah, someone ran out of time and launched early....

How many Jedi/Sith/BH etc did Jango Fett and Han Solo kill in the movie/books ?

They were the most awesome non force users out there, and it's those kind of

characters the none force users are in this game that the players can be.

Jango Fett = 1 in the movies, theoretically 11 before that, total of 12 before Mace Windu cut his head off. Jango Fett was also defeated by Count Dooku.

Han Solo = 1 Dark Jedi and 1 Sith. There is a caveat on both however as he had a Yslamiri on him in both cases.

lol yeah that part was cool. But the trooper that does that is going down until a certain Jedi shows up...

The one he ends up saving too? Not to mention those looked like smaller squads attacking at strategic locations against a bigger enemy. Unless I watched it wrong.

I still love watching him tackle all the "red shirt" sith on his way over to say hello.

Edit: and why does everyone have a hard on for nostalgia, gezuz. Having an obviously overdone class just because you stuck around for 5 months is over the top and really dumb no matter how you cut it in an MMO. Top it off with how bad class balancing was and it's laughable.

Edited by TehMerc

Honestly SWG did it right to begin with. People could play regular classes and only a very rare few could ever get Jedi characters, even then they had to hide because there was perma-death. My friend was one of the first Jedi in SWG and it was really amazing... you would see people talking about sightings of him in chat, there would be rumors about who his main character really was and there was this awe surrounding Jedi like there should be.

This game is WoW in space. It takes the marketable aspects of Star Wars and shoves them in your face to get you playing.

This game is the Jar Jar Binks of MMO's.

Seriously... space combat on rails? Yeah, who would have thought space sombat would be important to a IP based around space travel and giant space battles? Jedi and Sith playing "Huttball" in an arena? Yeah, real "heroic". Oh, and "mirrored" classes? Yeah, someone ran out of time and launched early....

LOL SWG was set in a time after a mass eradication of Jedi. So it was rare for a jedi to exist. SWTOR is set in an era where Jedi were abundant. Sorry that feels less heroic to you. The whole WoW in space **** is just a band wagon everyone is hopping on. I do not ever log into SWTOR thinking im playing WoW again with lightsabers. The game is an MMO. Name any game created after 2004 that isn't some niche game that doesn't have aspects of other mmo's. The only damn reason people refer to any game as a "WoW" clone is because WoW was successful, and they like sipping on haterade. Plain and simple.

Again, I'm not arguing that Jedi and Sith need buffs or to be the most powerful class in the game. I'm just saying that the trailers that people see, or did see before they bought the game and are now playing, really highlight the combat abilities of Force users. It creates some expectations in the minds of people that are playing this game.

LOL SWG was set in a time after a mass eradication of Jedi. So it was rare for a jedi to exist. SWTOR is set in an era where Jedi were abundant. Sorry that feels less heroic to you. The whole WoW in space **** is just a band wagon everyone is hopping on. I do not ever log into SWTOR thinking im playing WoW again with lightsabers. The game is an MMO. Name any game created after 2004 that isn't some niche game that doesn't have aspects of other mmo's. The only damn reason people refer to any game as a "WoW" clone is because WoW was successful, and they like sipping on haterade. Plain and simple.

One of the designers of SWTOR came out and publicly said that any company doing something different than WoW was making a mistake.

Rift has a similar system but completely altered how you build your own class using their unique system.

STO built a game around 2 full and completely different systems that are both unique, but while they have poor ground combat it is FAR better than SWTOR's attempt at space combat.

DCUO wasn't the greatest game but they didn't stop at simple tab targeting mixed with global cooldowns, they built a unique combat system that worked extremely well. If not for lack of real content that game would have been huge.

I also realize that SWG was set in a different time. During the time of this game there are not millions of Jedi and Sith however. There are also probably some jobs or roles other than someone who shoots stuff or stabs stuff. There is nothing UNIQUE about this game other than voiceovers which at this point mean slamming the space bar.

NOTHING, not one thing, is unique about how this game operates or how it is designed. This is a cash cow made to coincide with things like the release of the movies in 3D theaters and soft drinks exploiting images of the movies. The talent trees are EXACTLY what WoW had at launch. The combat systems are copied down to the GCD. Honestly I also think they pulled the space combat from another completely different project and modified it to work on top of the MMO engine, it has nothing to do with the rest of the game.

So go ahead and use every little cliche you can think of fanboy... I waited a long time for this game and was in beta 3 months prior to launch. After playing the first two days of beta a friend asked how it was and those were the exact words I told him, "It is WoW in space".

Force users were never omnipotent, this is a part of cannon that is relatively new to the series.

The best example of how force should work is the original series, where Yoda (probably the most powerful force user at the time) had to concentrate for 2-3 minutes to make an x-wing move.

Even in the prequels the Jedi order was wiped out by a bunch of clones.

Mandalorians in the expanded universe even have a sport claiming light sabers as trophies and they can claim quite a few.

I think if your trained, competent and prepared jedi/sith should just be harder targets.

Force powers, light sabers and training from birth should really only make you dangerous not invincible.

I dont think those advertisements where misleading at all. They clearly showed Sith dominating everything in sight, with an occasinal trooper or jedi slowing them down ever so slightly. I guess we just didnt pay attention, it was really all very clear how the game would unfold. Heck, the bounty hunter even blew up the jedi temple (right before sith crash landed a ship right in there and slaughtered what was left).

It was pretty straight forward somehow people just missed it! Only thing that was a bit off for me was Malgus not being a Sith Inquisitor, that got mixed up somehow, everything else is spot on. Than again he does shoot lighitng occasinally...maybe he's a closet Inq =d.

First off: Sorcs/Sages are the alpha class right now, so I'm not sure what your complaint is there.

Second of all: The classes are meant to be balanced in this game, you're not supposed to have an advantage just by being a force user.

Third: The Non-Force Users of this era are ******. The Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent have the opportunity to take out more than their fair share of Sith and Jedi throughout their stories. You don't see this as much with the Trooper and Smuggler, but it's still there to a certain degree.