Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech AP Is it still viable?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Powertech AP Is it still viable?

KendraP
12.11.2017 , 12:51 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Schoock View Post
IF
But that, of course, doesn't solve the main problem: people don't want to play tank. I dare to say 80% of the skanks out there are playing it because it's rofl mode damage/survivability; they put Guard on someone cuz it's medals and go on derping.

The benefits of tanking aren't as obvious as derping or healing, and if they don't change the way tank stats work in PvP (I'm fairly sure they won't), unless you queue with a pocket healer, playing a tank as a tank is an outright waste of spot for the team. (I play my tank in tank gear because I despise the skank meta and won't jump to FotM just to top the leaderboards, but lots of times I do feel like a waste of spot - even if I taunt and guard swap and otherwise tank properly.)
I hate the skank concept too, but by the same token I'm not going to hamstring my team out of some idealistic notion. At this point I feel the extra health helps more than def/shield/absorb.

If anyone doubts me and says I'm just a fotm roller I will point out 2 things. 1. I have been a guardian tank main since I started playing this game in the pre-2.0 era. 2. I actually swapped to guardian dps with 5.0 because of the guard going to dps specs. After 6-8 months of getting annihilated by practically every other class with no changes in sight, I was getting irked. After dying literally 15 times in a hypergate I'd had enough and went back to tanking.

I say tanking because I'm not one of the derps you mention. I play as a tank, and my greatest desire is for them to give me a reason to drop more dps into survivability. I already do to the fullest extent possible (i.e. I'm an endurance stacker in PvP).

I don't care how much damage I do or how many numbers I see on the board. I do care about seeing victory at the end. Being a derp doesn't help that.

As I've been saying since like January, the easiest way to solve the skank problem is to make guardian dps less squishy. I'm more than willing to bet if they didn't die under the slightest focus in seconds with a healer, the skanks that are bitter dps would go back. As much as I would love the idea of then making tank stats viable somehow I don't see it happening.

And I saw some other forum complaining about our 3 lives... hahaha guardian dps focused defense gives maybe half a life now if you're lucky. I still do run dps on the odd occasion someone else is tanking for my group. It's still painful.

Schoock
12.11.2017 , 07:43 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
If anyone doubts me and says I'm just a fotm roller I will point out 2 things. 1. I have been a guardian tank main since I started playing this game in the pre-2.0 era. 2. I actually swapped to guardian dps with 5.0 because of the guard going to dps specs. After 6-8 months of getting annihilated by practically every other class with no changes in sight, I was getting irked. After dying literally 15 times in a hypergate I'd had enough and went back to tanking.

And I saw some other forum complaining about our 3 lives... hahaha guardian dps focused defense gives maybe half a life now if you're lucky. I still do run dps on the odd occasion someone else is tanking for my group. It's still painful.
I've got to ask at this point whether you've played any other classes as DPS. Because my experience is that Jugg is actually quite sturdy for its potential.
Faction imbalance is the scientific term for saying player skills mature at a later age than that of the intended audience of a certain faction.

Ne'laa & other Mentally Challenged from The Red Eclipse

krosswong
12.11.2017 , 11:58 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Schoock View Post
I've got to ask at this point whether you've played any other classes as DPS. Because my experience is that Jugg is actually quite sturdy for its potential.
Compared to what? A DPS sorc?

I'm curious in what situation would you rather have a dps jug over a merc, mara, op, or sniper?
The Guildkiller Legacy

Harbinger's #1 pub side trash.

steveerkcanjerk
12.12.2017 , 11:05 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkEcIipse View Post
I love my Powertech (AP), atm I am slowly slowly slowly grinding tier 2 set. Which I plan to upgrade very quickly with all the coms I have from command crates. I have already augmented everything except the ear/implants and relics. But whenever I go to play pvp I get vile whispers and rude remarks directed my way due to my class and not being ******** (God min-max like them). Usually see them write spit emotes and tell me to "go kill u self!!!" "useless" and "delete ur character!!!".

I even had the milder less aggressive team member tell me that PT dps sucks and has bad survivability. That I should respec tank and not troll others with my class....

I am not sure if people will even want to consider grouping with me, because according to the PvP community (not sure about pve) I am stain to everyone in the team.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/sad.gif

[This is a cut from another thread I posted in about PT except it's buried under 2 pages, thought it would get more attention here]
AP pt is in a rough spot atm. In 4v4 and 8v8 with a healer and tank present its fine. Even when you die 10 times you can chugg out dmg super fast usually in top 5. I have 4-5k with a AP and pyro. In 4v4 it is perfectly fine if your team is built around it. Problem is, 1v1. It just can't match the dcds against other players who are equal in skill lvl and playing other classes. It really can't. Every class has like 1-2 more buttons to hit then you do. So team setting its alright but def needs a buff for survivability.
the mandalorians will rise again, we will unite and make the galaxy bow.
choggun mandalorian sniper
dreadshots mandalorian mercanary