Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

This entire subject should be a wake up call for all within the game. It's membership dwindles. It's a matter of time before they start consolidating NA servers as well. To think of the game not being here at all saddens me. It would be missed. And this comment coming from a 'normal' person, writing a 'normal' opinion, without benefit of an internet enhanced, inflated IQ claim. Oh woe is me...... ...chuckles...

the current number of total servers for star wars TOR is 20. after the three APAC servers get shut down it's going to be 17 servers. if the numbers of euro players start to go down in high numbers then that would not be good.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post

I wanted to give an update on some things and answer some questions we have seen in the thread. First, one of the things we have seen multiple people suggest is that if we are going to merge the APAC servers into the NA West servers that we should give you the option to choose which NA West server you transfer to. Knowing that some APAC players have existing characters and Legacies on some NA West servers already, we agree. When we open free transfers we will allow you one time transfer from your current APAC server to any one of the NA West servers. Note: The actual server merges themselves will still happen based on server type, so once we open transfers make sure you move all of your characters to the server you want before the merge happens.

We have also seen some concerns that we “haven’t considered what NA West’s populations are at offpeak times.” Actually, this is part of the reason we are making the decision to move APAC into NA West. Currently the equivalent NA West servers are seeing higher populations at offpeak times than their APAC counterparts. Meaning that even during offpeak NA times, the APAC players should see an increase in population after the transfers/merges.

-eric

I wanted to give an update on some things and answer some questions we have seen in the thread. First, one of the things we have seen multiple people suggest is that if we are going to merge the APAC servers into the NA West servers that we should give you the option to choose which NA West server you transfer to. Knowing that some APAC players have existing characters and Legacies on some NA West servers already, we agree. When we open free transfers we will allow you one time transfer from your current APAC server to any one of the NA West servers. Note: The actual server merges themselves will still happen based on server type, so once we open transfers make sure you move all of your characters to the server you want before the merge happens.

We have also seen some concerns that we “haven’t considered what NA West’s populations are at offpeak times.” Actually, this is part of the reason we are making the decision to move APAC into NA West. Currently the equivalent NA West servers are seeing higher populations at offpeak times than their APAC counterparts. Meaning that even during offpeak NA times, the APAC players should see an increase in population after the transfers/merges.

-eric

did you also consider how many of us will be unsubbing? ping>population

-eric

Don't good enough!

Don't let the APAC servers become Alderaan! Save them!

Sign the petition: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

-eric

Hear me out for a second eric.

1. Give free transfers to all on APAC.

2. Everyone from Darnala and Gav Daragon transfer over to Dalborra.

3. Merge the remaining data/players to dalborra after a few weeks.

4. Profit!!!

THIS IS WHAT WE ALL WANTED YOU TO DO. SIMPLE.

-eric

thats good to hear but can you open the one time transfers to EU as well, as myself and a few matees from japan are playing on it there.

-eric

Do you mean higher pops compared to no merge, or an APAC merge (for example Gav and MDN to Dalborra)? Because myself and others compared population numbers at our peak/your off peak, and a merge would be same pop-wise on the imperial side, and much better on the pub side (this was looking at fleet sizes on The Bastion).

If pop sizes are similar, then keeping a server available in Australia is a much more favorable solution, as we will then still have our great ping, and be able to keep our communities fairly intact.

Do you mean higher pops compared to no merge, or an APAC merge (for example Gav and MDN to Dalborra)? Because myself and others compared population numbers at our peak/your off peak, and a merge would be same pop-wise on the imperial side, and much better on the pub side (this was looking at fleet sizes on The Bastion).

If pop sizes are similar, then keeping a server available in Australia is a much more favorable solution, as we will then still have our great ping, and be able to keep our communities fairly intact.

Not favourable to their bottomline! Maybe we should ask the ousted EA CEO what he thinks.

Edited by PseudoScience

-eric

How will the merge handle character names? Are we guaranteed to lose them to existing players or will factors (e.g. activity and/or time played) be taken into account? I assume character transfers will have no rights over existing players.

And what about refunds for RotHC pre-orders for those who find either option unacceptable?

Edited by MrRuck

-eric

Your missing the point we dont want to play on the US servers because of the high ping. I get around 600ms on the US servers I cant pvp or do OPS with ping that high.

Also what about refunds for APAC players for Rise of the hut Cartel pre orders? I put a ticket in asking for my money back 2 days ago and have not got a reply back.

yeah i have the same feeling, so all the people whining about going to ESO, will have to bear with the same ping anyway. Ah the logic .

What you guys miss in the above "logic" is that they are going into the new game well aware of the ping, not well aware of a lower ping that's then forceably removed.

However its not all about ping, that just seems to be the most common complaint:

Forced:

Character name change

Guild name change

Legacy name change

*assuming your names are already taken.

A community which we have now that is something to e proud off replaced by something far inferior.

Forced into paying the same amount for an inferior game play than our across the ocean counterparts

A company that has said through their actions "Aussies mean nothing to us"

And finally setting dangerous standards for other MMO's to follow.

And finally this is obviously a business decision, however instead of being honest about it they give a reason which is not true and makes no sense, there was no real research carried out, no consultation with the paying gamers.

We don't like being lied to while being smiled at, the company is more than happen to say .... you but we happy to take your money

Legacy names aren't unique anymore.

Also: How does setting up a dedicated APAC data center & servers translate to "Aussies mean nothing to us" ? But that didn't work out, so welcome back on the US servers.

Edited by Whiser

-eric

Answering the minor and ignoring the major

Also: How does setting up a dedicated APAC data center & servers translate to "Aussies mean nothing to us" ? But that didn't work out, so welcome back on the US servers.

It means something when the game is riding high on hype and marketing. But once the decline hits we are the one of the first things to go. We aren't nothing but we a distant cousin.

Edited by PseudoScience

I did not know that legacy names were not unique, so thanks for that.

Setting up the center obviously was a good thing, ignoring the voice of the players is what has indicated that.

They are willing to accept a lot of people leaving for "a better gaming experience" when we are showing that it isn't...

Edited by Nommaz

I'll take that as a big Screw You Australia. Ericmusco stopped short of even acknowledging that the majority of APAC players on the forum don't want a NA server, so all that crap about improving our experience Is pure and simple BS.

You clearly have no intention of having a professional and mature interaction with your consumers, so I'm out of here. I unsubbed a few days ago, and I'll stop checking on this forum optimistically hoping that EA will listen to their audience.

I guess EA will continue to provide their award winning service... http://consumerist.com/2013/03/25/worst-company-in-america-round-1-ea-vs-anheuser-busch-inbev/#more-10123561

Currently the equivalent NA West servers are seeing higher populations at offpeak times than their APAC counterparts.

Sky is blue! More news at 9!

No kidding. You wonder why when you buggers sat on your arses for 8 months ignoring the problem while we kept losing players because of your lack of action. We have enough pop to justify an APAC server. The problem is we're all splintered over 3 servers.

---

Keep signing: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

Edited by Sinrei

/shrug ..... I guess it doesn't make business sense to EA so it's going to happen whether we Aussie's like it or not. Sad to see but I guess at the end of the day we just don't have the population over here, and EA like any business is in it to make a return for their share holders; catering to customers needs is solely seen as a mechanism to that end. If a business's customer base is not making enough money they get unceremoniously ditched. Get used to it, for better or worse it's the way the world works.

I've only just come back to the game after about 10 or so months. Had I known this was going to happen I would not have re-subbed. I will be cancelling my subscription (not that this will worry EA too much).

My issue, like that of many, is the ping. I played on the North American servers when the game first came out and to those that think it doesn't matter I call BS. I recall trying to get to datacrons and timing of the jumps was a pain in the butt - I found them much easier on the APAC servers. I also suggest you try to PvP with a large ping difference and see how you like it. Yes you can compete but you will find it harder (particularly with close combat facing issues) and quite frustrating when you get the inevitable lag spike that comes with long distance connections.

I don't know what it is (net coding, the way the game itself is coded ?) but one thing I do know, in terms of "smoothness" of the game (for want of a better term) World of Warcraft leaves SW:TOR for dead. I find I can play WoW without too much hassle from the 200-300ms ping (PvP is still a pain at times though). If SW:TOR was like that I don't think there would be such an issue.

TL;DR:

1. APAC servers are going - get over it.

2. From past experience I know the increased ping will significantly degrade the game experience for me.

3. I'm out - good luck, see you on the flip side.

Edited by spodman

4. Profit!!!

Please read this Eric Musco.

I would still like to know whether we are going to get free character slots, I have 8 on harbringer already and 13 on Dal.

Did some testing and here are the results:

Harbringer 235 - 360 with the average being 237

Jedi Covenant 295 - 473 with the average being 315

Shadowlands 300 - 305 very stable if high

I am in WA for those interested in locations and this was at 2.00am

For me harbringer will be the better choice, but I'll be pissed if I am forced to delete characters as well.

Repeat this every post in here. Don't all complain about different aspects of your experience, but repeat the same thing. Have a unified written message. Clear, concise and simple. From this page on have this be all you say.

Right now they have to wade through this thread of complaints, ************, suggestions, stories and such.

If this is it, then there is 100% no confusion. That's how you make a statement. Look at rallies, that's all they do.

4. Profit!!!