Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Well, I have maintained all along that by delaying this content in a way OGR were not, while still slating it for inclusion, BioWare has alienated both camps. That is what made the compromise decision at which they arrived such an awkward faux pas.

It is true that in sci-fi, particularly in "golden age" sci-fi, one of the most commonly used shorthand indicators of a depraved and villainous psyche was to make a character homosexual. Perhaps the best known example of this is Baron Harkonnen from Frank Herbert's landmark novel, Dune. So, yes, there is a reasonable case against the gay villain.

However, what the prospective romantic options really offer is an opportunity to play a character of any orientation, and as a hero or a villain or anywhere in between. Same-sex relationships aren't likely to be uniformly tied to dark side decisions.

Honestly, I think the silence is due to a policy of simply not discussing pending content until shortly before it goes live. That has been the pattern with previous content patches – you can see it currently underway for 1.5 and F2P. The only reason I would expect this to be different is because a.) this content was announced so early and b.) with only speculation to go on, those wishing to position themselves to access it when it does become available don't know how they ought to handle their characters, companion affection or levelling pace.

But at this point, so far past launch, there really is little point in asking at this stage beyond curiosity. People have had to make their own determination of the best way to proceed, and nothing we do or say here can really influence the development of this content at this stage. as far as I can see.

So no – simply having this for future inclusion does not really earn my warmest regards, and the silence on this topic has made the unfortunate decision to delay this content that much less palatable. With no updates since March, and minimal information then, and in spite of encouragement to ask here, in the erstwhile Q&A, and through various avenues of communication Joveth recommended, well, I can't say I am particularly happy about this at all.

Seemiing to villainize gays could, at this point, hardly make it worse.

All I can say right now is that I wish I could argue with this, but I won't. Your point is eerily spot on.

Saddens me that this is truly a make or break moment for this game for some of the posters here. It isn't for a deal breaker for me, but I push for equality and the fulfillment of promises by the company. I do know that if SGRs aren't done, I'll miss those posters for sure and my game replay will be severely limited. Why even reroll after a point when, as a player, I've already seen it all.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think telling a group that they're are just being "touchy" for an extremely negative statement is rather uncalled for.

The reason? Overall, we wouldn't go into a thread that you post in for a feature and tell you that "You're living in a dream world." If you have no faith in the developers or their word at all, then why are you still playing? It must be because you actually enjoy the game, and look forward to seeing new content. I hope you aren't one of those people that stick around forums just to troll players while your sub runs out.

In some ways, this is no different than wanting weather cycles for planets or barber shops/aging abilities for characters. SGRAs is a feature that we're asking for any information on. Plus, to be very blunt, those other topics are not features promised to players in the beginning of the game. Those are fluff features and are not central to the story.

Learning if central companions such as Kira or Mako (two examples of characters very tied into the story) are available fundamentally changes the way some people are going to level. Weather effects and such, while nice, do not effect a player's ability to level like SGRs can.

Same Gender Romance content has been promised and as well as reconfirmed even recently. It has not been scrapped and while the silence isn't golden, SGR isn't going away. So please, do some homework before you judge. Enjoy the game and please just ignore the thread if you think we're that naive. Also, enjoy asking for weather effects, ect. We won't come into your thread and tell you your ideas are unworthy, so have the same courtesy.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

So you checked out my other post, good for you mate, the funny thing is that I think those other features have a better change of getting in the game.

But anyway..since everyones opinion is not really welcome in this thread, and no matter what doubters say its hard to hear, I think im gonna step back and leave you guys to it..and thats all I have to say about that.

Good day to you sir.

Oh, well. From all my reading of this thread I've learned the following:

1) Bioware/EA keeping silence about SGR and not replying for community no matter what. Sad, but true.

2) Any complains about current situation from all respective gamers in this thread are no more that cries in the darlk room of game developer's silence. And speculations about "how could they include SGR in next content patch".

3) There are no any guarantie, that SGR will be unlocked in the game, except of promices and words like "soon" and "someday". Thats terrible.

So, as for me, I'm eager to play Female Sith Warrior Lesbian. I really want it. But I cant. Well, it's not the end of the world, but very disappointing. But cries about that in this thread cant make my dreams come true - NO ONE from Bioware/EA even reads this thread! So the hell with it. I'm still hoping of SGR, but I won't stop levelling my char's (female char's! My lovely harem, he-he) to the heart content. Then SGR will be unlocked - I'll create the new ones and'll enjoy the long awaited feature.

Period.

I just posted in the 'Makeb' thread.

I'm kinda grumpy this morning (stoopid neck being a stoopid pain), so it might not stay there and am getting sick of the 'break immersion i'm alright don't care about anyone else' bs i keep seeing - so I had to reply thusly:

Today , 09:41 AM | #209

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSchmo

People always talk about immersion in these games and I think this is the furthest thing from it.

Which is great if you are a straight gamer, but many of Bioware's player-base are not, myself included.

nothing breaks immersion more for me (and many others like me) in a Bioware game, than being forced to be either heterosexual or asexual. Heck, there's still far to many games coming out where I can't even play as female.

You guys get to be the 'hero who gets the girl' all the time, Bioware (up until now) is one of the few gaming companies that let me be the 'heroine who gets the girl' or the guys the 'hero who gets the guy'.

All we want is the same options as the rest of the player base. In a Bioware game, this should be a given, alas it is not.

As subscribers we are equally entitled to ask about promised features as the next player - especially when we are only hearing bits and pieces of info from anybody except the people who should actually be telling us. With 1.5 and FTP already on the PTS, and the tid-bit of info about Makeb from Gabe 'PVP guy can't spell his last name', all we are asking is a bit of clarification - are SGRAs still on course for inclusion with Makeb, what time-frame are we looking at and could we have more than a "no new info, thanks for your patience?"

SGRAs WILL be in-game, like any other option, if you don't like/want it, don't choose it.

Sorry Mods if I ranted, I just woke up grumpy

Also, I'm gutted I chose the light-side option with the hot sith on Tatooine. i was blown away by the fact she even flirted with me, never imagined (why would I with the game's history) that she'd go through with it :eek:

Good thing I've just rolled my smuggler on the PTS - I want to play her but don't want to miss any flirts we may or may not get, this way i know it's only a tester so it doesn't matter :cool:

Now I'm going to break my doctor's orders and have some caffeine :D

Edited by MoogleNut

Knowing my luck if I decided to post some character-companion based erotica here for you guys, it would be the one day that a Bioware mod actually reads the thread.

Is a little bit tempting though.

Serious infraction points never go away FYI, they are easier to rack up than you think, take it from me.

Serious infraction points never go away FYI, they are easier to rack up than you think, take it from me.

I've yet to receive an infraction (because I'm a coward), so I'll take your word for it.

Still, if I had information about existing companion romances, I could give writing one a whack. With appropriate fade-to-black sequences.

I've yet to receive an infraction (because I'm a coward), so I'll take your word for it.

Still, if I had information about existing companion romances, I could give writing one a whack. With appropriate fade-to-black sequences.

I've gotten one. And to this day I still don't get why. It was just after the forum reboot when some of the forum moderators were seriously abusing their powers.

I have been tempted to write some, but I know they'd be far too risque for SWTOR forums. And anywhere else but here, I doubt many would "get" them.

Curse my addiction to supernatural romance novels, they influence my writing far too much. :o

Well, I just decided to register my game time card to reactivate my account, since I reckon I'll want an active subscription when F2P hits. I've been tweeting at @SWTOR about SGRs a few times while I've been gone, but of course there's no response from there.

Also just noticed I had an unread month-old message in my inbox. Oops.

At least the Cartel Market being on the PTS now, along with what was earlier announced as 1.5, makes me feel good about the story update getting its release in December. Gonna keep crossing my fingers for SGRA in 1.6, then. :)

I just posted in the 'Makeb' thread.

I'm kinda grumpy this morning (stoopid neck being a stoopid pain), so it might not stay there and am getting sick of the 'break immersion i'm alright don't care about anyone else' bs i keep seeing - so I had to reply thusly:

Things that break immersion:

a) Dude hitting on my male PC.

b) My PC's girlfriend getting it on with a woman in someone else's playthrough.

Things that don't break immersion:

a) Prancing female companions/PCs around the battlefield in the slave-girl outfit.

b) Drastically altering a companion's appearance shortly after meeting them.

Hmm...yes.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Knowing my luck if I decided to post some character-companion based erotica here for you guys, it would be the one day that a Bioware mod actually reads the thread.

Is a little bit tempting though.

If you posted it at an off-site fanfiction archiving place and just linked to it on the forums, wouldn't that be okay? Since you get the "warning bioware isn't responsible for content found not on this site" warning when you click over? *would like to read some character-companion fic* :d_angelic:

Things that break immersion:

a) Dude hitting on my male PC.

b) My PC's girlfriend getting it on with a woman in someone else's playthrough.

Things that don't break immersion:

a) Prancing female companions/PCs around the battlefield in the slave-girl outfit.

b) Drastically altering a companion's appearance shortly after meeting them.

Hmm...yes.

indeed, funny how logic only works selectively :D

Edit - glad I quoted myself as my original post in the Makeb thread has been culled - at least I apologised to the mods in advance hehe. See, if they just answered our questions, we wouldn't get grumpy and have to call out the idiots :p

Edited by MoogleNut

I'd be happy as long as I got to watch. :D

Well, here's the thing...you don't get to watch as romance dialog can only be experienced by the person playing it (unless a vid is put on youtube) XD

The only way you would see any PC/companion romance interaction while chilling on the fleet is if someone would use emotes on their companion. But...players can do that already...with anyone (even Khem Val).

With those other things I mentioned (i.e., changing companion appearance), you can definitely see other players doing it with their companions all the time. Maybe while hanging out on the Republic fleet tonight I'll tally up all the slave girl outifts I see.

The whole 'immersion' issue just continues to baffle me.

Well, here's the thing...you don't get to watch as romance dialog can only be experienced by the person playing it (unless a vid is put on youtube) XD

The only way you would see any PC/companion romance interaction while chilling on the fleet is if someone would use emotes on their companion. But...players can do that already...with anyone (even Khem Val).

With those other things I mentioned (i.e., changing companion appearance), you can definitely see other players doing it with their companions all the time. Maybe while hanging out on the Republic fleet tonight I'll tally up all the slave girl outifts I see.

The whole 'immersion' issue just continues to baffle me.

I know. I was joking...ish. lol

Seriously, I just don't think about it. There are more than enough Kiras or Elaras to go around, as far as I'm concerned. lol

Edit - glad I quoted myself as my original post in the Makeb thread has been culled - at least I apologised to the mods in advance hehe. See, if they just answered our questions, we wouldn't get grumpy and have to call out the idiots :p

Probably me, got myself a warning for making a pratt of myself, which is fair.

And... meh. I really have no idea what to do now in regards to pestering the various teams. It's proved pointless so far, so what's the point in continuing? *feeble flail and deflate*

And... meh. I really have no idea what to do now in regards to pestering the various teams. It's proved pointless so far, so what's the point in continuing?

Revenge. :cool:

I see that the Makeb thread got culled. That's a shame, because while the post I lost did in fact quote a post that was quoting a CAPS LOCK troll, I think I made some sound points with it which would be useful in keeping things on track there. But that's how it goes.

It's probably lucky for me that it got culled because I've had a nightmare afternoon (sibling using my phone for premium numbers totalling £200 - he is NOT getting an xmas present this year) and was fully in the mood to argue the point with someone regardless of infractions.

On topic - I've been trying to convince my partner to come back and play Tor since my guild all left a while back and it's lonely on Progenitor but he's adamant he's not returning until they've been added.

It's probably lucky for me that it got culled because I've had a nightmare afternoon (sibling using my phone for premium numbers totalling £200 - he is NOT getting an xmas present this year) and was fully in the mood to argue the point with someone regardless of infractions.

On topic - I've been trying to convince my partner to come back and play Tor since my guild all left a while back and it's lonely on Progenitor but he's adamant he's not returning until they've been added.

If you're looking for someone to play with on The Progenitor, my guild's gone quiet too. Quieter now I'm not playing as much. As far as I know, there aren't any specific guilds for LGBT people and allies on that server. They seem to all be on the U.S. servers. I'll help set one up if people are interested.

I'm trying to convince my partner to start playing. F2P might draw him in. We'll see.

Edited by Eleuril

If you're looking for someone to play with on The Progenitor, my guild's gone quiet too. Quieter now I'm not playing as much. As far as I know, there aren't any specific guilds for LGBT people and allies on that server. They seem to all be on the U.S. servers. I'll help set one up if people are interested.

I'm trying to convince my partner to start playing. F2P might draw him in. We'll see.

Oh my god? You're on The Progenitor? :D I'm on The Progenitor as well! Empire?

Revenge. :cool:

I see that the Makeb thread got culled. That's a shame, because while the post I lost did in fact quote a post that was quoting a CAPS LOCK troll, I think I made some sound points with it which would be useful in keeping things on track there. But that's how it goes.

I was doing a terrible job of trying to have a polite discussion, let my personal feelings get in the way. I don't mind talking with people who don't want the feature implemented, but they always pull the "homosexuality is wrong" or some equivalent whargle bargle.

Oh my god? You're on The Progenitor? :D I'm on The Progenitor as well! Empire?

Yes! I have Republic alts but I'm mostly Empire.

I was doing a terrible job of trying to have a polite discussion, let my personal feelings get in the way. I don't mind talking with people who don't want the feature implemented, but they always pull the "homosexuality is wrong" or some equivalent whargle bargle.

This is why I tend not to engage people who are like that. It's very unlikely someone who says that sort of thing is going to see your point of view and enter into a meaningful discussion of the issue. They are convinced it's "wrong" and nothing you can say will change that.

Yes! I have Republic alts but I'm mostly Empire.

This is why I tend not to engage people who are like that. It's very unlikely someone who says that sort of thing is going to see your point of view and enter into a meaningful discussion of the issue. They are convinced it's "wrong" and nothing you can say will change that.

It's not really that I imagine I can change their opinion, but I really cannot fathom their reasoning. To me it's obvious why you'd have same-sex content in a game, I put it on par with having the option to play non-whites and women*, it's a matter of allowing choice. People say that it's some sort of "agenda", that it's all politics, but really it's more political to deliberately not allow player choice in a video game. There's a certain amount of airey-fairy-ness if people genuinely believe that the entertainment industry exists in a vacuum from the rest of the world - which is really how it seems some people are, when they call out for not having inclusion in their video games.

I'm reminded of something I saw on tumblr: This money has been handled by gay people, if that distresses you, please give the money away.

*I really have homophobia so tied up in my brain, I cannot separate it from racism and misogyny. I... really! honestly, I can't... they seem intrinsically linked somehow... you're discriminating against a person for an arbitrary reason... *shrugs*

P.S. I am the sexy male Agent in the Vendetta top and white boots :3