[FIXED] Problem with resolution/aspect ratio - graphics seem squashed.

Shednazar

Hi guys,

I haven't played SWTOR for about a year and thought I'd give it a try again, but when I started it (after updating everything), I had to realize, that my graphics are squashed lightly. It seems kinda that it went from my aspect ratio of 16:10 (1680x1050) to an aspect ratio of 16:9 or so.

Which wasn't the case at any time before. I haven't had that problem up till now.

Anyway, I haven't found a solution to my problem yet and hoped that maybe someone here can help me out.

Here's a screenshot of the character selection screen as an example:

https://pasteboard.co/GYe2IFw.jpg

I found a post here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=100907 about a fix for stretched/squashed graphics, but I seriously wasn't able to find out how to use it properly.

I do have a Samsung Syncmaster 223BW monitor on a Windows 7 (64) system with a AMD Radeon HD 7850 graphic card.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Shednazar

Interesting. I don't think I've had an issue like that that I couldn't fix by adjusting the resolution in the game's settings. Do those match your monitor's resolution?

I thought so too, yeah. Both my monitor as the game have the same resolution (1680 x 1050) - never been different since I first played the game...

I thought so too, yeah. Both my monitor as the game have the same resolution (1680 x 1050) - never been different since I first played the game...

Well, there's always the default advice to make sure that your drivers are up to date. Or to change to a lower resolution and see what happens when you switch it back.

Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe OwenBrooks will chime in with a fix for you.

Ok, fixed it! Apparently it was the graphic card driver. I actually updated it only last week, but there was already a new one available in the meantime. And it fixed the problem I had.

Thank you for your quick replies though, I really appreciate it!

Ok, fixed it! Apparently it was the graphic card driver. I actually updated it only last week, but there was already a new one available in the meantime. And it fixed the problem I had.

Thank you for your quick replies though, I really appreciate it!

In case others come across this thread by googling , if they find a different video driver doesnt help this squashed affect.

Best recommendation next is to use CRU at this link and create an EDID override with just supported resolutions listed.

Best recommendation next is to use CRU at this link and create an EDID override with just supported resolutions listed.

Ah, see, I was trying to play around with creating an EDID like suggested in the link to the other post, but I wasn't able to really find out what to do. This now looks way better and easier. Thank you!

PS (Edit) - Ok, I got it fixed now, but now the game is stuttering. :confused: Don't know if it's lag or framerate or whatever... gonna have to take a look into it tomorrow.

Edited by Shednazar

Ah, see, I was trying to play around with creating an EDID like suggested in the link to the other post, but I wasn't able to really find out what to do. This now looks way better and easier. Thank you!

PS (Edit) - Ok, I got it fixed now, but now the game is stuttering. :confused: Don't know if it's lag or framerate or whatever... gonna have to take a look into it tomorrow.

CRU is a great utility, way easier to use then the ones in the link :)

Switch to fullscreen window mode see if the stutter persists or if in fullscreen turn vsynch off if it is turned on.

May The Force Be With You

Edited by OwenBrooks

CRU is a great utility, way easier to use then the ones in the link :)

Switch to fullscreen window mode see if the stutter persists or if in fullscreen turn vsynch off if it is turned on.

May The Force Be With You

Well, thank you for the tip then! ; )

Nope, not working. Vsync is turned off, but stutter persists both in fullscreen and fullscreen window.

Well, thank you for the tip then! ; )

Nope, not working. Vsync is turned off, but stutter persists both in fullscreen and fullscreen window.

Stutter for me is intermittent. II'll be at 60FPS and suddenly drop to half that for a few minutes. Been going on since the fall creator update.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I had this same issue with my 32:9 aspect ratio monitor and none of these solutions worked for me.

I did however find one that did work with the using the CRU tool.

The reason why the screen would be squished and practically be unplayable is that your monitor is defaulting to a higher resolution that threw the aspect ratio off. In my case my monitor is a 3840x1080 but it was loading at 3840x2160.

What helped me realize the issue is that I use Display Fusion for multimonitor configuration and I noticed in the monitor settings in display fusion that my monitor was showing 3840x2160 as a resolution.

Now the 3840x2160 resolution wasn't showing when I checked display resolutions in the Nvidia control panel or windows display settings. (Even the CRU didn't shoe this on the main screen as it is hidden deeper into the menus there.)

**FIX**

Now to fix this I found the following Reddit thread:

For simplicity I am copying the steps here:

1. Download CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

2. Open up CRU and select your monitor from the drop-down list at the top

3. Before making any changes, it's recommended to click on Export... and create a backup

4. On the right-hand side under Established resolutions, select None

5. Under Detailed Resolutions, delete all the resolutions you don't want.

6. If the resolution you want to use is not already under Detailed Resolutions, you can click Add.... When adding a custom resolution, you should use the Automatic - LCD Standard timing. Also ensure you type in a supported refresh rate.

7. Delete everything you don't want under Standard resolutions

8. Under Extension block, you should see an extension block with some detailed resolutions and data blocks. Click edit on the existing block.

9. Here you can delete all the resolutions under Detailed resolutions

10. Underneath Data blocks you can delete TV resolutions

11. Under Data blocks, select HDMI support and delete all the resolutions under HDMI resolutions

12. You can now exit CRU by selecting Ok on the main screen

13. CRU should come with an exe called restart64.exe. Run this executable to restart your driver. If you're doing this over Parsec or a similar program, you likely need to reconnect. If you're screen is black and it's not coming back, press F8 and it should restore the previous settings.

If that still doesn't work I recommend looking at the registry edits the reddit user suggests.

Hope this works for you if all else fails.