Warhammer all over again.

Mogsey

I don't know about you but i'm having serious Deja Vu at the moment with a certain other major mmo release.

All the problems that this game is having seem to feel almost identical to the way WAR started.

Anyone else from the WAR community feeling this too?

and it just so happens bioware brought the esteemed warhammer pvp team on board to do their pvp

mirror classes overwhelmingly favoring one side? check

huge faction imbalance? check

too many servers, too few players? check

terrible patches which fail to address issues player base is uniformly agreed on? check

There is no fail.

You expected too much. The game is new. I agree year 2012 and MMORPG market is really wide. A late 2011 game should be much better than this.

But didnt !

Boo ! Then make your move !

Go ahead and leave the game !

Boo ! You didn' t...

Why ? Because you are bored with another game in the market. Or not...

You re still playing SW:ToR. Then go keep playing like me...

True story.

Edited by Aethusa

I don't know about you but i'm having serious Deja Vu at the moment with a certain other major mmo release.

All the problems that this game is having seem to feel almost identical to the way WAR started.

Yes m8 i hit illium yesterday with severe lag on my decent machine, then when i saw my side in the republic base it gave me shudder's......... even posted in general chat god this reminds me of warhammer, couple this with bugs that don't really seem to be addressed i have now lost all faith that BW has any idea what's going on

Whiny b*tches flocking to it from PandaLand, then leaving en-mass because its not a carbon copy of their beloved ezymode theme-park.

CHECK. :D

Yeah because the champion bag system is such hard mode. Get of your high horse nothing ins wtor is hard certainly not getting gear.

There is no fail.

You expected too much. The game is new. I agree year 2012 and MMORPG market is really wide. A late 2011 game should be much better than this.

But didnt !

Boo ! Then make your move !

Go ahead and leave the game !

Boo ! You didn' t...

Why ? Because you are bored with another game in the market. Or not...

You re still playing SW:ToR. Then go keep playing like me...

True story.

I want the drug your on man.

I want this game to be good. However, let's look at why the deck is stacked against this game:

EA's Track Record

Warhammer was left to die. They didn't have the expertise to fix that game and when it became apparent that it couldn't be salvaged, they diverted its development team to SWTOR. The fate of SWTOR is in the same hands of the people who tried to save Warhammer, but ultimately couldn't.

James Ohlen's Attitude

James is incredibly smug and passive-aggressive. Look at the Eurogamer article that's been referenced many times on these forums.

Gabe Amatangelo Doesn't Get PvP

It's not that Ilum was poorly implemented; it was poorly designed. There's a difference. A good idea can have a poor implementation. A poor idea, regardless of its implementation, can never turn out well. Ilum's flaws demonstrate that Gabe simply doesn't understand the dynamic among player behavior, faction imbalances, and incentives.

Broken/Missing Game Systems

The fact that things like (but not limited to) unresponsive combat, static UI, and low frame rate exist post-release are horrifying. These are things that should have been identified during the game's early design phase. Since they weren't addressed in the distant past, we can only assume that James Ohlen and his team of designers didn't view them as a priority. Furthermore, it demonstrates that they simply don't "get it." And this is worrying because any fixes being implemented by a team that doesn't "get it" is likely to fail again.

Yes m8 i hit illium yesterday with severe lag on my decent machine, then when i saw my side in the republic base it gave me shudder's......... even posted in general chat god this reminds me of warhammer, couple this with bugs that don't really seem to be addressed i have now lost all faith that BW has any idea what's going on

This game is very, very obviously not a PvP game. If you want that, I'm sorry, but your options are thin and they include WAR and DAoC.

PvP in SWTOR is clearly an addition, not a focus in the least. IF they actually used any of the WAR team, they weren't hired on until late in the development, because there would have been far more than 3 Warzones and they would have actually been good. World PvP would have measures against zerging and imbalance.

I'm very disappointed by the PvP too, but I'm not about to call the game bad because of it.

I've been with Warhammer from Spet 18 2008 till the very launch of SWTOR. Let me tell you, the PvP experience is quite similar! With one patch all BOs(battlefield objectives) were made redundant and at the same time the nolifing gear-farmers who are already in full Battlemaster were given a new venue to farm Valor much more easily off casuals who are just now dinging 50. Classic WAR rich getting richer. The gamelag during large-scale battles is INTENSIVE, not to mention ops groups leaders now get some annoying chat spam about their group being full and their companion being dismissed while in a PvP zone.

I wish the Daily and Weekly open PvP changes were implemented only on PvP servers. The PvE servers should have remained with the previous ruleset IMO. Those that want serious PvP can reroll on a PvP server. Not cowardishly stay on a PvE one, form 24-people gankbands(half of which in full Battlemaster) and feed off the casuals, while cowering from the dedicated PvP servers where they'd get eaten alive. End of story. My thoughts anyway.

Yeah, except for the part where that other game you mentioned was a total friggin' disaster at launch.

I guess people these days have really short memories.

Edited by imtrick

Warhammer Collector's Edition...

Attempted to help lead a guild into the game, but overtime just couldn't simply because the game didn't pan out for us. A variety of reasons that many people could repeat here and i'd be willing to agree with.

But that isn't happening here...

This game is turning out alright, and I'm happy to support it.

If you don't like it, I'm pretty sure there are a plethora of other games for you to choose from.

... and I hope you enjoy playing it more than posting about it.

I want this game to be good. However, let's look at why the deck is stacked against this game:

EA's Track Record

Warhammer was left to die. They didn't have the expertise to fix that game and when it became apparent that it couldn't be salvaged, they diverted its development team to SWTOR. The fate of SWTOR is in the same hands of the people who tried to save Warhammer, but ultimately couldn't.

James Ohlen's Attitude

James is incredibly smug and passive-aggressive. Look at the Eurogamer article that's been referenced many times on these forums.

It's not that Ilum was poorly implemented; it was poorly designed. There's a difference. A good idea can have a poor implementation. A poor idea, regardless of its implementation, can never turn out well. Ilum's flaws demonstrate that Gabe simply doesn't understand the dynamic among player behavior, faction imbalances, and incentives.

The fact that things like (but not limited to) unresponsive combat, static UI, and low frame rate exist post-release are horrifying. These are things that should have been identified during the game's early design phase. Since they weren't addressed in the distant past, we can only assume that James Ohlen and his team of designers didn't view them as a priority. Furthermore, it demonstrates that they simply don't "get it." And this is worrying because any fixes being implemented by a team that doesn't "get it" is likely to fail again.

Ive already cancelled, but this post gives me goosebumps none the less.

This game is very, very obviously not a PvP game. If you want that, I'm sorry, but your options are thin and they include WAR and DAoC.

PvP in SWTOR is clearly an addition, not a focus in the least. IF they actually used any of the WAR team, they weren't hired on until late in the development, because there would have been far more than 3 Warzones and they would have actually been good. World PvP would have measures against zerging and imbalance.

I'm very disappointed by the PvP too, but I'm not about to call the game bad because of it.

Fine but if its not a PvP game, could they at least make it so the best gear is not easiest given though PvP, and the fastest way to PvP is not for one side to zerg camp the other side?

Make it a real PvE raid based game then or something.

EA's Track Record

James Ohlen's Attitude

Everyone needs to read this.

Uhh, Warhammer was missing MULTIPLE CLASSES at launch. SWTOR may have issues, but not of that magnitude. WAR was the poster child for a potentially good game ruined by being pushed out the door 6-12 months early.

Say what you will about the state of SWTOR, at least all the classes are implemented, and while the combat can't hold a candle to WoW, it is still worlds better than WAR was at launch.