Can SWTOR be Saved ?

pilotjosh

I don't want this post to come off as "screw star wars, this game sucks," or whatever. Im just simply curious if you guys think this game has a future anymore. With the countless bugs and glitches, customer service issues gone unanswered, dying servers, what does bioware need to do to save this game or is it already to late.

In my opinion from what I have witnessed is it is to late. I have been a star wars fanboy for life and have been playing TOR since launch back in December. At game launch I remember sitting in que to even get on a server, now im lucky to see 30 people on fleet during peek hours. IMO the leveling part of this game was the best. The story lines with each class were a breath of fresh air compared to traditional mmos. But once you hit 50 the lone "2" operations were laughable at best. Full of bugs that went week after week with no fixes, and "raids" that consisted of 4 bosses. It was extremely underwhelming and even nightmare mode was a breeze for my guild. We had a strong 20+ active members in our guild and consistently did 16man operations 3 times a week. About 2 weeks before 1.2 dropped is when people (at least in our guild) finally had enough. We started seeing players hardly ever logging on, and if they did they were bored in about 15 minutes. Leveling alts seemed to pass the time, until it got to the point where you were the only person on a planet while trying to level and do quests. Forget about running a 4+ heroic on a planet, because there were only about 2-3 people on the planet at any given time.

Patch 1.2 drops and honestly I feel that a lot of people were holding out for that patch in hopes it would breathe life into this game again, but it fell very short of doing so. The new raid was an improvement IMO from EV/ KP but, it just simply wasn't enough. The so called "legacy" system was completely useless to any of us endgame players. Its just sad how this game had been anticipated for so many years and this is the end product that we received. Not even 6months into the game and it already is on the verge of dying.

My question is this, What can possibly be done to save this game, what can be done to stop the bleeding of thousands of people cancelling there subs every month. Is it to late to save it ?

I hope this game can be brought back with server transfers etc... but i fear its to late, for the proof is in the pudding, I have witnessed a game where I would login to 100+ on fleet getting groups together for flashpoints, leveling, doing operations and pvp, now all i see is people complaining they have been in que for pvp for hours with nothing going on, guilds that have fallen apart due to members losing interest in this game. I truly hope bioware has a fix for this because I feel if something isn't done, and done very quickly, this game will forever be lost and chalked up to another failed attempt to compete with WoW.

Any input appreciated, again this thread is not a rant, i Just want to know what we need to do to save/drastically improve this game where its fun and exciting again.

Edited by pilotjosh

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a little patience, and hopefully an epic 1.3 patch that will correct the experiment of 1.2 from early complaints of people who were too used to playing WoW. 1.2 is a prime example of you get what you ask for when you are used to playing another game and bringing that mentality to a new game before it has had it's freshmen five moment. I am hoping BW has and is looking at the mechanics an will realign it to what was envisioned before the players who complained about certain aspects, and now turn their backs because they got too much of what they thought they wanted.

I love how people think that their experiences are shared by everyone else in exactly the same way. Your SWTOR experience is largely defined by which server you are on. I'm now on one of the aussie servers...Result is 2 instances of fleet because it's so busy. No shortage of people for flashpoints, heroics and other stuff..We even have people pugging the ops for HM and Nightmare. In short, it's probably the ideal situation for Bioware and one which in an ideal world, exactly how they envisaged the game experience to be.

It's obviously not replicated like that on all the other severs. To be honest, I really don't understand why those people who are going overboard in their criticism about dead servers just do not roll on a busy one. There is enough data out there now to know which are the main servers and if you've been playing on a dead server, your character is unlikely to be geared to the max, so you're not really losing much by just creating another toon. It doesn't take long to level and i already have 2 50's a 42 and now levelling a trooper who in the space of one evening I got to level 10....

Is it an ideal situation? No..but creating another character is probably preferable than whining and waiitng until the summer for transfers.

Edited by Musclemary

I love how people think that their experiences are shared by everyone else in exactly the same way. Your SWTOR experience is largely defined by which server you are on. I'm now on one of the aussie servers...Result is 2 instances of fleet because it's so busy. No shortage of people for flashpoints, heroics and other stuff..We even have people pugging the ops for HM and Nightmare. In short, it's probably the ideal situation for Bioware and one which in an ideal world, exactly how they envisaged the game experience to be.

It's obviously not replicated like that on all the other severs. To be honest, I really don't understand why those people who are going overboard in their criticism about dead servers just do not roll on a busy one. There is enough data out there now to know which are the main servers and if you've been playing on a dead server, your character is unlikely to be geared to the max, so you're not really losing much by just creating another toon. It doesn't take long to level and i already have 2 50's a 42 and now levelling a trooper who in the space of one evening I got to level 10....

Is it an ideal situation? No..but creating another character is probably preferable than whining and waiitng until the summer for transfers.

There are many obvious reason, I know that many people don't like to level alts. The main reason for not to reroll though is the legacy system. I don't want to move to a new server when i got two 50s with pretty decent gear and a legacy i invested a hell of a lot in. If you cant see how dumb it is to be told to move to a new server and leave all that behind, then you are very narrow minded in my opinion.

Edit: to answer the OP. Yes i believe it can be saved, but Bioware needs to cut their losses and learn from the mistakes they made so far. Server merges for prosperous population, better communication with the community regarding bugs, issues, plans for the future etc. Finally They need to focus more on how they want their game to be and not how they whiners wan't it. The customer is always right, but the whiners sure aren't.

Edited by Hojdar

There are many obvious reason, I know that many people don't like to level alts. The main reason for not to reroll though is the legacy system. I don't want to move to a new server when i got two 50s with pretty decent gear and a legacy i invested a hell of a lot in. If you cant see how dumb it is to be told to move to a new server and leave all that behind, then you are very narrow minded in my opinion.

Edit: to answer the OP. Yes i believe it can be saved, but Bioware needs to cut their losses and learn from the mistakes they made so far. Server merges for prosperous population, better communication with the community regarding bugs, issues, plans for the future etc. Finally They need to focus more on how they want their game to be and not how they whiners wan't it. The customer is always right, but the whiners sure aren't.

So basically you have 2 level 50's and legacy yet you are on a dead server? At what point did it dawn on you that your server was dead..after your first or second level 50? Or did the general population just drop right after this?

Yes I do. I knew there would be a bit of a holding pattern as features developed, so I've been working on my alts (approaching my 4th level 50) in order to unlock as much of the legacy as I can. Soon I'll be playing Republic toons in orders to unlock those as well. There's still some fine-tuning to be done to my main, Denova's been a good raid, and with 1.3 coming, it'll be much easier to find groups. I'm anxiously awaiting server mergers to bring some new life to the game. But I plan to be here for the long haul.

It's obviously not replicated like that on all the other severs. To be honest, I really don't understand why those people who are going overboard in their criticism about dead servers just do not roll on a busy one.

My highly constructive post on this vanished!

Ah well. Legacy is something you don't want to leave behind, considering how many choices, QoL improvements, and gameplay boosts it provides.

I have seen someone start a thread on that, though. One that told people the best server to reroll to until the merges get underway.

So basically you have 2 level 50's and legacy yet you are on a dead server? At what point did it dawn on you that your server was dead..after your first or second level 50? Or did the general population just drop right after this?

It was fine when i started the second 50 but it as dropped since then, over a 2 month period I'd say. Should other people leaving this game really punish my choice of continuing my legacy that Bioware so proudly promotes?

It was fine when i started the second 50 but it as dropped since then, over a 2 month period I'd say. Should other people leaving this game really punish my choice of continuing my legacy that Bioware so proudly promotes?

Well that is irratating..agreed. But what can you do really? It is what it is. They have repeatedly said transfers are coming in the summer so it's not like they are ignoring the issue or are unaware of it. One would assume that with the introduction of a proper transfer system, all your legacy would come with your character. It's in THEIR interests to implement it as quickly and as painlessly as they can. If they don't I guess it's their loss in the long run.

It can be saved. Take note that you are biased in your opinion because you saw a big decline in numbers on your fleet, so you tend to think it's bad. I'm on a stable server with a decent amount of players online (not high or full, just standard) so I don't think SW:TOR is doomed. :-)

Well that is irratating..agreed. But what can you do really? It is what it is. They have repeatedly said transfers are coming in the summer so it's not like they are ignoring the issue or are unaware of it. One would assume that with the introduction of a proper transfer system, all your legacy would come with your character. It's in THEIR interests to implement it as quickly and as painlessly as they can. If they don't I guess it's their loss in the long run.

I see both the need and difficulty of moving the entire legacy between servers, even merging legacies could be troublesome. I know transers are coming, and sooner is better than later. I know i gotta be patient, and luckily that is one of my virtues. I just wanna play the game they way i believe it was ment to be played, I'm no SWTOR hater or anything.

Saved? confused !!

there are new customers everyday were fine. .

uhhh, its common knowledge that bioware is LOSING subscribers every month, not gaining, what was it last time down 25% in 2 months ?? dont quote me on that cuz im not sure, but i do know that subscriptions are falling not rising,

I see what your saying about the server pop being my main deterrent and for the most part you are right, I am basing my frusteration on my servers sharp population decline (the shadowlands empire). I always thought our server was one of the more populated ones which is why i kinda started to think the game was on a downward spiral. The whole issue with rolling on another server is tough for me to swallow. I have 3 50s, and couple other low level alts... 2 of the 50s are in FULL Rakata, and my other 50 has a few pieces, my legacy level is 36 and I have countless hours into my legacy,gear, epic mounts from SOA, ETC.... for me I dont feel I should have to start over on another server just to see population, IMO bioware should have implemented server transfers THE MOMENT they started seeing the populations that alot of these servers are getting, it could have saved alot of people from quitting, most people i see quitting, are so burnt out on the fact that Nobody is ever online, This is a MMO it takes other players to make this game work, granted you can Level by yourself for the most part, but for PvP and Heroics, Flashpoints to work you have to have populated servers. I just feel like that bioware is not handling there major issues here, and it will cause to many people to end up quitting which i dont want to see happen, i want this game to recover and be awesome. I want to be as excited to play it as the first week i had it

Elder Scroll Online is going to be too big hit in my opinion. Sad to see this happening to Bioware. I could almost cry. I loved them and still do.

As long as BioWare continues its partnership with EA all my love for them is gone at this point. EFF you EA, you turned my favourite developer into a steaming pile of poodoo

SWTOR, in my opinion, has launched with actually quite a bit more overall content than nearly any major MMO I could name offhand. Endgame content is certainly comparable. Huge number of glitches? Nothing requiring DAYS of downtime like I remember from other games in a time and a galaxy not all that far away. Are people getting to the endgame content faster? Yeah, but I think that's a problem ANY game would have now, because this is just not the first time around the block for most of us. The people for whom this IS a first MMO tend to be taking a bit longer to get to endgame and enjoying the experience more overall because it's well, new.

If this is your second, fourth, twelfth or whatever MMO, then I think we tend to be a) way more demanding as far as features are concerned, b) have the tricks of leveling in an MMO down pat, and c) think ANY endgame content isn't enough (that's just going by my experience in those "other" games with countless buddies who launched themselves to the end of every expac and then cried foul over the amount of content). I don't think there has ever, since the dawn of MMO's, been enough content to satisfy the populace who reaches endgame ahead of the planned curve. So do I think SWTOR is dying? Server merges FTW for sure, but honestly, I haven't seen a new MMO yet that could be judged before it's first paid expac was out on endgame content. There just will never be enough in the first go round when the focus has to be on the leveling experience. I'm going with "Patience, young padawan."

Give it 2 months...

I don't want this post to come off as "screw star wars, this game sucks," or whatever. Im just simply curious if you guys think this game has a future anymore. With the countless bugs and glitches, customer service issues gone unanswered, dying servers, what does bioware need to do to save this game or is it already to late.

For us players, it's done - stick a fork it.

But from a corporate point of view, SWTOR probably satisfied fiscal expectations - meaning, it returned the cost of product development and grossed a decent profit for all parties involved (Bioware, EA, Lucasart).

Now it's time to focus on to the next cash cow - Medal of Honor, I hear?

Can it be saved? no No and NO!!! It's got into a bad state for a reason, and the people that are making [bad] design choices and [bad] implementations are still there and still in control. All Bioware have really created in the last few years is fake social pulp slop. The minute I heard it was Bioware doing TOR, I despaired. They have no understanding of the core IP.

These stories are cliched, stereotypical (ironically not stereotypical Star Wars) and predictable which makes them boring and bland e.g. Half the smuggler storyline is based on 'DUDE?! Where's my Spaceship?' and the other half some rip off version of Snatch/Sporanos. All TOR is, is a rehash of all their code from other games. Every mechanic you see has been ripped from their own games... there is nothing new here except the degree to which EA has tried to pull the wool over our eyes and woeful design choices.

Edited by Caspian_Rho

For us players, it's done - stick a fork it.

But from a corporate point of view, SWTOR probably satisfied fiscal expectations - meaning, it returned the cost of product development and grossed a decent profit for all parties involved (Bioware, EA, Lucasart).

Now it's time to focus on to the next cash cow - Medal of Honor, I hear?

Jesus Christ guys

The game has been out for half a year, and it has bugs.

What MMO doesnt?

People arent really appraised of history it seems

Took WoW a year to hit 1 million subs

This game hit pretty much 2 mil in a couple months

Took WoW YEARS to get the the level it is at now, and IT STILL has BUGS

bugs are part of EVERY MMO, not just SWTOR

I swear society has become more and more whining and alot less realistic

people think everything should be done in 2 days, and if it isnt done in 2 days, the game is destined to fail

Nothing is wrong with this game this early in its life, it launched far more smooth than WoW did, and even smoother than D3 just did yesterday for those who were following it

server transfers will come and fix the imbalance of servers issue, the other issues will be worked out as fixes are found for them

Somewhere along the lines i think people got this game confused with a FPS where everything is in the game minus DLC at launch....might wanna read up on what MMOs are and how long it takes them to actually take form

uhhh, its common knowledge that bioware is LOSING subscribers every month, not gaining, what was it last time down 25% in 2 months ?? dont quote me on that cuz im not sure, but i do know that subscriptions are falling not rising,

Down 25% in 2 months, kinda makes sense....

bunch of new people bought it, people that didnt like it dropped it, takes a bit for those subs to fall off

WoW didnt have 1 mil subs till the 1 year mark, look it up if you feel it is inaccurate, you will find it surprising im sure, as you probably think WoW had 10mil subs in its first 2 months, but that isnt the case.

Bunch of impatient whiners on these forums.....wish there was a universal tool to teach people the art of patience