The need for a clone army....

Believeit

Before there was the Empire remember it was the Republic. It was a group of governments with a chosen leader to act as a guide. Planets only had armies to defend themselves, but were not organized or equipped to put up a offensive on the droid army. After all they could just pump out countless numbers of droids.

After the clone wars though they severely reduced the number of clones made after Kamino tried to turn on the Empire with their own clones. So the Empire did opt for drafting, volunteering, etc.

So you'd rather spend a ton of money, training, equipping a bunch of regular guys then get soliders who are bred for war and follow orders without question?(Least the reg clones do that.) There was a need for a clone army, because almost all of them followed every order to the letter(save for a few select) which is somewhat bad/good because you have loyal soldiers(which is what Palpatine wanted). However they cannot question their orders from good or bad. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well, with conscripts, you get a wide variety in terms of physical size, abilities, intelligence, aggression, etc, etc, etc.

A clone army pretty much guarantees uniformity in these areas. Couple that with the "Soldier" (good movie, look it up) type brainwashing teaching, and you get a near robotic army, only with more versatility.

I do have to agree with the OP somewhat though...I mean I would rather have 10 Rebellion specforce members then 10 clone troopers just because the specforce wouldn't betray me because of some order.

True in a sense, though there is now nothing stopping them from betraying you for money or power or whatever.

Pros and cons to both I guess.

However, the Empire used clones mainly as leftovers from the republic, with the betrayal of Kamino they lost their source and the second/third generation jango clones weren't as good anyway. The Imperial Army was entirely non-clone and the stormtroopers were mixed, fewer and fewer clones over time

True in a sense, though there is now nothing stopping them from betraying you for money or power or whatever.

Pros and cons to both I guess.

However, the Empire used clones mainly as leftovers from the republic, with the betrayal of Kamino they lost their source and the second/third generation jango clones weren't as good anyway. The Imperial Army was entirely non-clone and the stormtroopers were mixed, fewer and fewer clones over time

While true, it wouldn't happen right away like Order 66 would they would actually need to think about it.

I cannot figure out why the empire needed a clone army. Seems a little overkill considering how many people they could effectively conscript throughout the galaxy...

the empire needed the droid army to cause enough panic and fear to do a 9/11 and sweep away rights get themselves absolute power and overturn democracy.

the clone army was required to first hold that at bay so it was only fear not reality, second they could be controlled and used to mass assasinate the whole jedi order simultaeneously.

lastly they would be required to sweep away the droid army and used to crush his former allies who are now the republic is dealt with the only things strong enough to threaten him.

the conscri[ts would of struggled to beat the droids and couldnt of been manipulated to assasinate all the jedi. and besides ebtter to have them at thier jobs making more weapons/tools/food whatever.

Assassinating the Jedi was the big key. Mental programming while in the tube.

Ultimately its because the first movie mentioned the clone wars, at that point Darth Vader wasn't even Luke's father according to some so the rest of the story was just bits and pieces not put together anyway.

when I heard of the clone wars (long before the prequels were ever made) I always thought it was about a evil person cloning jedis and there was an army of cloned Jedi.

I even thought he was still going to do this after Episode 1. Why else would he explain how Midicholorines worked if not to give a scientific explination of the force to use in cloning.

Assassinating the Jedi was the big key. Mental programming while in the tube.

Ultimately its because the first movie mentioned the clone wars, at that point Darth Vader wasn't even Luke's father according to some so the rest of the story was just bits and pieces not put together anyway.

Darth Vader was Luke's Father, go and watch the ending. ._. He had s** with Luke's mother and there go two babies. One of them are Luke!

Darth Vader was Luke's Father, go and watch the ending. ._. He had s** with Luke's mother and there go two babies. One of them are Luke!

Yes, he knows that. He is refering to Episode IV aka Star Wars before the whole story was put together, the Clone Wars was mentioned and Darth Vader was not Luke's father.

The Republic never needed the clone army, without it they would have negotiated a settlement with the separatists; acceding to the Trade Federation's demands about taxation or whatever nonsense.

Remember though that Darth Sidious set the whole thing up. Fighting the war with an army of clones next to his alternative of conscription got him huge favour with the population. It helped that he was behind the separatists to begin with and arranged for them to commit horrible war crimes to set the general population against them.

Clones are abomination, but they are living things after all. Republic needed coordinated army, not just local in-system home defense fleets, incapable of fighting a war. Separatist threat was growing too fast and there was no time to enlist enough men in both navy and army.

And lets not forget, that Republic was doing almost good before formation of CIS. And, CIS was formed by Dooku. And, Dooku was Sidious' apprentice. It was Sith, who needed clone army, not Republic.

Although, I have to admit - clones have that awesome look despite their anti-camouflaging white armor.

You're forgetting that the army wasn't made for the good of the Republic, it was made for the good of Palpatine.

What Palpatine needed was to scare the Senate into giving him emergency powers, and then to legalize an army. You can't conscript a galactic force without word getting out - but you can create a secret clone army.

Thus when the army is finally legal, you can immediately demonstrate the effectiveness of putting you in charge - without taking a year of losses (which you then have to explain to the Senate) while the army is being raised.

And, of course, you know Jango-clones are going to be OK with killing Jedi, whereas regular soldiers might stop to consider the legitimacy of the order.

Edited by Kholvan

Time.

The Droid army was ready and on the march, with reinforcements pouring off the assembly line.

The Republic had small planetary militia, but nothing like a standing army.

Even a small volunteer force would have needed months of training and equipping, if not a year or two for the big items like Star Destroyers.

time the Republic did not have. By the time they were ready the Droids would have been on Corusant and in control.

But they were gifted the Clones - a pre made army to match the droids, and ready when needed.

Ideally they should have been supplimented with a newly raised non-clone army of the Republic. But funding, and politcal manipulation would no doubt have blocked that. Not only Sith scheming, but politicians fear of sending their own to way when handy clones could be sent instead.

Yes, he knows that. He is refering to Episode IV aka Star Wars before the whole story was put together, the Clone Wars was mentioned and Darth Vader was not Luke's father.

And Luke was originally supposed to be a chick. Saw it on some documentary a while back, they even had concept art I believe.