Arsenal vs Marauder/Sentinel

tragictactics

Anyone got any tips on this fight? I'm sitting at 45 as of now, and always seem to have issues with this fight. It seems they have a counter to just about everything I can do.

This is my first toon, so I am on the new side, only playing solo, beyond random sub 50 pvp.

as arsenal, your best bet is to try to bait their interrupt w/ fusion missile or power shot, and then face tank. obviously using the knockback and CC when appropriate, but you are not going to outrun a melee class and if you try you will have even less of a shot of beating them. stand your ground and get out as much damage as you can. you might get lucky and kill them first

You are a support dps class, you should be even more careful than a sniper. Stick to your team no matter what happens. You are the artilery in this fight.

LOL, you are the artillery that does less damage than the foot soldiers on your team. The guy is only lev 45 and he is already having trouble here. It only gets worse and worse when you get to level 50, and then when you gear up. The only solution is to re-roll. We all know it. It's just hard to tell someone that they wasted 45 levels on a class that isn't balanced to be useful in pvp.

LOL, you are the artillery that does less damage than the foot soldiers on your team. The guy is only lev 45 and he is already having trouble here. It only gets worse and worse when you get to level 50, and then when you gear up. The only solution is to re-roll. We all know it. It's just hard to tell someone that they wasted 45 levels on a class that isn't balanced to be useful in pvp.

Don't demoralize newbie players. This is his first class. Not everybody was as lucky as me when I rolled a sniper from the beginning :D

Don't demoralize newbie players. This is his first class. Not everybody was as lucky as me when I rolled a sniper from the beginning :D

People deserve to know the truth. And the sooner the better. That guy would have been better off if he had known at level 35 that his class was gimped. How would it be better for him to not know until he was level 50 and had grinded to full WH? Some of us are now down over $200 since launch and still don't have a viable Merc pvp toon. Don't you think we would have been better off if we had known the truth and BW had announced at launch, "We think Mercs are OP and are going to nerf them every chance we get"?

Edited by Macroeconomics

Yes i have a tip for you and none of this reroll or change tree **** your getting..

You need to get range, rocket punch ( and start moving back in mid air) get some range and cast 1 TM, use HSM and the sticky bomb early in a fight. if he shields then you shield, use your knock back and cast again.... the trick is range and timing.

Anyone got any tips on this fight? I'm sitting at 45 as of now, and always seem to have issues with this fight. It seems they have a counter to just about everything I can do.

This is my first toon, so I am on the new side, only playing solo, beyond random sub 50 pvp.

Good luck.

It's one of the most unbalanced match-ups in the game.

You can't keep range, because a Marauder/Sentinel can spam-snare. If you knock one back, they'll just Leap/Charge back in (if they were smart and didn't engage you by using their gap closer). If you try to cast, they will interrupt.

Mercenary struggles to output enough burst quickly enough to down a Marauder/Sentinel before getting squashed. Too much of Arsenal DPS is tied up in channels, and Marauders/Sentinels simply have too many tools to interrupt your casts, and Arsenal only has 2 instant-damage attacks on fairly long CDs. Nowhere near enough to gain the upper hand.

The best thing you can do for PVP is learn to play Pyro or Bodyguard.

Arsenal is a fundamentally broken spec in PVP. Even if you manage to keep range and wait for a furball to start before engaging, the missiles are a dead giveaway that you're around. Most players will peel off and come after you because they view Arsenal as free kills, and because the spec does a ton of damage if left alone (and almost none if pressured).

Pyro fares far better because it is much less reliant on channels. Plus, PPA procs at the start of Barrage, so while having that channel interrupted (by an enemy or by choice) isn't a good thing, it's not the end of the world either.

You are a support dps class, you should be even more careful than a sniper. Stick to your team no matter what happens. You are the artilery in this fight.

Best advice as a merc always avoid the 1v1 that`s is ur biggest weakness, but while grouped u can bring the pain on ppl because healers are priority targets in zerg vs zerg

Edited by iDraxter

Arsenal does decend pre-50, although it still falls behind BIG time behind bodyguard or pyrotech.

Sure, it might have higher nukes, but you need to stand still, and to be frankly you have no chance without 1-2 healers Just healing you.

I'm level 45 aswell, and I only go arsenal in Warzones when I am sure to have 2 healers holding my back, and a melee to help keeping the enemy from my healers.

that's the only way that arsenal is on any way viable in warzones.

Other than that roll bodyguard to be of more value for the team, or pyrotech if you want to dps. (pre-50 pyrotech is probably the highest damaging class in the game, after 50...well you're gimped :D)

Also never move back directly, always use straffe's, that way you walk faster than moving back, while you can still use your auto attacks. (Auto attacks HURT as pyrotech merc, it is actually my most used attack in warzones.)

Best advice as a merc always avoid the 1v1 that`s is ur biggest weakness, but while grouped u can bring the pain on ppl because healers are priority targets in zerg vs zerg

A funny piece of trivia is that an Arsenal Merc is not actually that weak in an isolated 1v1 situation. From 1v1 tournaments on various servers, good Arsenal Mercs are actually capable of beating most classes if played right in a pure 1v1 situation. I don't have much duelling practice on this class myself (spent most of that effort on my Gunslinger) but the main gimmick of the duel is that you use your 4 second stun and either they choose not to break it and you Tracer and put full Heat Signature stacks on them and hit them for a 5k Heatseeker Missile (in which case you've probably won the duel), or they do break it in which case you mez them and heal yourself up to full. The most lopsided matchup was any Jugg with the Unstoppable talent in which case the Merc literally can not do anything to survive the initial leap damage followed by Force Push and a second leap where they are free to have their way with you. By the time that's over you're in execute range with no chance to heal yourself or CC and get away.

Of course in a warzone no one is going to let you mez your target and run away and heal yourself for the next 8 seconds. The real weakness of the class shows whenever there is more than 1 person attacking you. You simply do not have the tools to get away or defend yourself, let alone cast with all the interrupts that are being thrown around. In warzones, Arsenal Mercs are arguably the weakest spec in the game if your opponents are at least somewhat skilled and awake. You're all glass, but without the cannon. And you're so immobile most of the time that it appears someone forgot to put wheels on it as well.

Edited by Jenzali

A funny piece of trivia is that an Arsenal Merc is not actually that weak in an isolated 1v1 situation. From 1v1 tournaments on various servers, good Arsenal Mercs are actually capable of beating most classes if played right in a pure 1v1 situation. I don't have much duelling practice on this class myself (spent most of that effort on my Gunslinger) but the main gimmick of the duel is that you use your 4 second stun and either they choose not to break it and you Tracer and put full Heat Signature stacks on them and hit them for a 5k Heatseeker Missile (in which case you've probably won the duel), or they do break it in which case you mez them and heal yourself up to full. The most lopsided matchup was any Jugg with the Unstoppable talent in which case the Merc literally can not do anything to survive the initial leap damage followed by Force Push and a second leap where they are free to have their way with you. By the time that's over you're in execute range with no chance to heal yourself or CC and get away.

Of course in a warzone no one is going to let you mez your target and run away and heal yourself for the next 8 seconds. The real weakness of the class shows whenever there is more than 1 person attacking you. You simply do not have the tools to get away or defend yourself, let alone cast with all the interrupts that are being thrown around. In warzones, Arsenal Mercs are arguably the weakest spec in the game if your opponents are at least somewhat skilled and awake. You're all glass, but without the cannon. And you're so immobile most of the time that it appears someone forgot to put wheels on it as well.

I 1v1 with my Arsenal quite a bit and do well. It could go either way but playing talent > class setup. It's when there's more than one that we get in trouble. 1v1 Melee means they aren't running away from me when I build my stacks. When I crit HSM and RS after stacks there's a crap factor that makes them hesitate. As for me, I already think I'm gonna die so I don't get scared ;)