Expansion and story line progression

Reyed

Hello, I played for the first 4 or 5 months after the game came out and recently returned. I am currently taking characters through the story lines (4 down 4 to go). I found an expansion progression diagram on another site and plan to utilize it after I've taken each class through their first story line.

I've read a few threads that imply that choices you make in game might prevent you from experiencing certain content, in effect locking you out of certain story lines (post level 50) and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

My question is, do these junctions come with clear warnings of the consequence of your choice?

Sorry if this has been answered. Coming back after so many expansions makes it difficult to keep up.

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions!

There is only one point where you can get "locked out": when you start the Knights of the Fallen Empire (KOTFE) content, it locks you out of the class story...if you have not finished the class story Starter world (Korriban/Tython/Hutta/Ord Mantell) to Correllia and you start KOTFE you will NOT be able to go back to the class story.

That being said, you have a lot of clicks to in fact start KOTFE:

1. Get to your ship
  2. click the the mission terminal in your ship
  3. click the start KOTFE button in the terminal
  4. click PLAY in your tracked missions
  5. click Launch in the KOTFE start interface
  6. click YES to are you sure you want to do this
  7. click YES again to the second are you sure
  8. and I think you have to click Launch again.

That gives you a LOT of opportunity to say, "No thank you"

However while the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadow of Revan do not lock you out of previous content, those stories do contain certain spoilers; they assume you've done the previous story content and therefore in conversation might mention exploits of previous stories. But if you start these stories from the ship's mission terminal there is a warning that their might be spoilers (but you do have to READ that warning)

Edited by psandak

KotFE comes with a very Clear

Are sure

Are you really sure

set of warnings & will only lock you out of finishing the class stories - chapter I-III & SoR (and getting any titles that go with this content)

If you follow the progression

Chapter i-III > Ilum > Makeb ( >CZ-198, Oricon) > Forged Alliances (SoR Prelude) - SoR (Rishi, Yavin 4, Ziost) > KotFE

you'll not run into issues

CZ-198 & Oricon are side stories and can be returned to later, if you wish (or just ignored)

Starting KotFE will also lock you out of any companion conversations/missions you haven't completed. These are now gated solely by your progress through the main class story, so make sure you go back and talk to your comps from time to time. Easiest way is just check your map for the mission icons in the rooms where they hang out, whenever your class story tells you to use your ship's holoterminal or intercom.

Starting KotFE will also lock you out of any companion conversations/missions you haven't completed. These are now gated solely by your progress through the main class story, so make sure you go back and talk to your comps from time to time. Easiest way is just check your map for the mission icons in the rooms where they hang out, whenever your class story tells you to use your ship's holoterminal or intercom.

This, and of course keep an eye out for the 'I want to talk' icon on your active companion's portrait. (I found that DS Jaesa's one pops at least a couple of times during certain planets.)

Only when you start KOTFE, rest of the story is as it is, no big interruptions. The only thing there is might be that technically the stories of all classes should be played in a certain order as some stories might mention people that you have actually killed in another story etc, but I dont know if you will be following the story to such a depth.

Only when you start KOTFE, rest of the story is as it is, no big interruptions. The only thing there is might be that technically the stories of all classes should be played in a certain order as some stories might mention people that you have actually killed in another story etc, but I dont know if you will be following the story to such a depth.

And also it is slightly spurious as a line of reasoning, because of the strong possibility that while there was *someone* involved in, for example, whatever Blizz was doing before the non-SW Outlander met him, it wasn't necessarily the SW, just *someone*. There are "eight" universes, one for each base story, and it isn't clear to me that there is any overlap between them.

And also it is slightly spurious as a line of reasoning, because of the strong possibility that while there was *someone* involved in, for example, whatever Blizz was doing before the non-SW Outlander met him, it wasn't necessarily the SW, just *someone*. There are "eight" universes, one for each base story, and it isn't clear to me that there is any overlap between them.
There is definitely some overlap between the class stories, with one or more NPCs from one story getting mentioned in another. Which may or may not make you think "Oh yeah, I remember that guy's name from the <other class> story".

Just yesterday, while playing the Agent story (again) for DvL, I got to the part on Balmorra where the Agent goes after Grey Star, who is a major figure in the story for the Consular's companion, Zenith. Though tbh, I wasn't so invested in it that I wondered how my actions in the Agent stroy tied into Zenith going after Grey Star's journals in the Consular companion story, or how it affects what he learns (or doesn't learn) about what happened to Grey Satr.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

There is definitely some overlap between the class stories, with one or more NPCs from one story getting mentioned in another. Which may or may not make you think "Oh yeah, I remember that guy's name from the <other class> story".

Just yesterday, while playing the Agent story (again) for DvL, I got to the part on Balmorra where the Agent goes after Grey Star, who is a major figure in the story for the Consular's companion, Zenith. Though tbh, I wasn't so invested in it that I wondered how my actions in the Agent stroy tied into Zenith going after Grey Star's journals in the Consular companion story, or how it affects what he learns (or doesn't learn) about what happened to Grey Satr.

Oh, yeah, I know about that, but my point is just that this does not imply that your Consular's universe also contains an Agent who follows the Agent story. The eight classes each play in their own version of the same universe, so it makes sense that there will be NPCs that you see in all (or at least more than one) of them.

People I can name off the top of my head who do this across the faction boundary. (No clues as to where they show up, and no references to anything after the end of the basic class stories in this list.)

* Kaliyo

* Gray Star

* Darth Lachris

* The man who was Chancellor before Saresh

* The Sith Emperor

* General Rakton gets mentioned, at least, on the Imperial side.

So once you have finished Chapter III, you should make sure your companion stories are done, then it is ok to head to KOTFE? Everything else in the progression after and including Ilum can be done at a later date? Are any of the expansions really important to do before KOTFE, storywise?

I'm a returning player running a new character and am on my way to Voss at level 64. Is 65 the top level now?

EDIT: I see above that Shadow of Revan should be done as well? I can head to that immediately upon finishing Chapter III?

Can I pick up all the quests for expansions (besides KOTFE) and do them simultaneously since I am apparently high enough level for them all? There a lot of purple icons around since I haven't been doing flashpoints or most of the planet arcs. Do I need to do any of the planet arcs to unlock expansion content?

On a side note, I just did Esselles (Tactical) and Taral V (solo quest) flashpoints last night (by myself). l seem to recall there was a time when doing two low level flashpoints wasn't worth a level of xp at level 63.

Edited by sjmc

So once you have finished Chapter III, you should make sure your companion stories are done, then it is ok to head to KOTFE? Everything else in the progression after and including Ilum can be done at a later date? Are any of the expansions really important to do before KOTFE, storywise?

Starting KotFE also locks out the Shadow of Revan story (approximately Chapter 5). That is, the "Forged Alliances" prelude *story*, the main story on Rishi and Yavin, and the main story on Ziost.

You should do the Ziost story on one character (it's basically the same except in minor details for everyone) before doing KotFE because there is a bunch of bickering between your new crew members that makes a heck of a lot more sense if you have done the Ziost story.