Keeping Vette - details?

RageFury

Hi all, I've been away and haven't really played for years. The expansions and such are not clear at all from what I can tell on all the companion changes, which is kind of annoying. Is it possible to get and keep Vette, permanently, as an Assassin? I have two Assassins and just hit 74 on one and apparently after I thought I had finished everything leading up to Ossus, I guess I didn't. I had just finished the quest line where Theron Shan

turns out to still be on my side.

I even took a screenshot before I started the Ossus quest line, linked below. I thought I was done up until that point, since none of the quests in my log were purple and the only quest on the terminal in my ship was for starting Ossus...but apparently not. It killed Vette and chose Torian, which I don't want. :( IMO, Vette is the best companion in the game. So....I have some questions:

1) I assume this is a permanent choice on this character which cannot be undone; correct?

2) I've transferred the level 70 Assassin I had on a prior server that I haven't played in years solely to level through the content again so I can try to keep Vette, lol.

3) Can someone confirm for me what I need to do, and at what point, to keep Vette as a permanent companion on my "new" Assassin, assuming this is possible?

Thanks. Here's a screenshot of what my mission log looked like right before I started Ossus and got Vette auto-killed. I only have Eternal Throne in there because I had been going through it again in Master Mode. Pre-Ossus mission log.

I think you are out of luck on that character. The loss of Vette is permanent and replaying the part where the choice is made won't change things, if you've already done it once, or skipped KOTET.

For the "new" Assassin you need to play the relevant part of KOTFE/ET, and not skip it.

Edited by JediQuaker

as far as I remember, vette has nothing to do with Ossus. You have a choice to save Vetter or Torian at the end of Chapter...whatever ( guess XII but I forgot - one of the last of KOTET) . So if you choose to save Vette, she remains as your companion.

BUT if you skipped this part completely, the game "default" choices may decide that you have actually chosen Torian.

As far as I remember only Warrior class saves Vette per default...

But it was SO LONG AGO when I did those (and about 12 times) that I might mixed something up.

and I have no will to repeat this stories again...so maybe someone who have done that more recently will have better information...

1) I assume this is a permanent choice on this character which cannot be undone; correct?

Correct

2) I've transferred the level 70 Assassin I had on a prior server that I haven't played in years solely to level through the content again so I can try to keep Vette, lol.

3) Can someone confirm for me what I need to do, and at what point, to keep Vette as a permanent companion on my "new" Assassin, assuming this is possible?

Near the end of Eternal Throne, Chapter 8, you are given a choice between Vette and Torian. Choose Vette.

Thanks. Here's a screenshot of what my mission log looked like right before I started Ossus and got Vette auto-killed. I only have Eternal Throne in there because I had been going through it again in Master Mode. Pre-Ossus mission log.

It sounds like you skipped over Fallen Empire and jumped right into Jedi Under Siege. If that is what happened then there are certain choices that are made for you, one of which is the choice between Vette and Torian. Imperial characters, except for Warriors, will choose Torian, Warriors and Republic characters will choose Vette. Here's a link to a post by Charles that details the assumptions made for a character that skips directly to JUS (Ossus).

While the choice is permanent, you may be able to retrieve Vette from the companion return terminal in the Odessen base. It is located in your quarters on Hylo's side of the base.

Edited by ceryxp

Correct

Near the end of Eternal Throne, Chapter 8, you are given a choice between Vette and Torian. Choose Vette.

It sounds like you skipped over Fallen Empire and jumped right into Jedi Under Siege. If that is what happened then there are certain choices that are made for you, one of which is the choice between Vette and Torian. Imperial characters, except for Warriors, will choose Torian, Warriors and Republic characters will choose Vette. Here's a link to a post by Charles that details the assumptions made for a character that skips directly to JUS (Ossus).

While the choice is permanent, you may be able to retrieve Vette from the companion return terminal in the Odessen base. It is located in your quarters on Hylo's side of the base.

Very good information, except for that last bit. In so far as I'm aware, the terminal is limited to your class crew members, so an Assassin won't be able to get Vette.

Edit: Apparently, I am wrong in this assertion, thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by robertthebard

Very good information, except for that last bit. In so far as I'm aware, the terminal is limited to your class crew members, so an Assassin won't be able to get Vette.

You can retrieve any companion that is central to the Knights et al story and that is lost in the course of that story, except for HK-55 because reasons. On my Sage I have retrieved Scorpio, Torian (I chose Vette), and Quinn (I sided Republic so got Dorne).

You can retrieve any companion that is central to the Knights et al story and that is lost in the course of that story, except for HK-55 because reasons. On my Sage I have retrieved Scorpio, Torian (I chose Vette), and Quinn (I sided Republic so got Dorne).

Thanks for the clarification, I haven't used it in a long while, so had no idea it had been changed.

I'm starting to suspect that there's a bug lurking somewhere if you have a chapter open for a replay when you do something (e.g. starting Ossus) that would be a skip forward if you were on first-play in that chapter. It would explain *some* (but probably not all) of the oddness (but not the infamous Chapter IX/patch bug) we've seen over the years.

The idea behind this bug is that if you have a chapter open when you launch Ossus, it counts as a skip-forward from that point as far as the autocompleter is concerned. To be sure, it's speculation, but I'd like to know what other people here think of this as a possibility.

In so far as I'm aware, the terminal is limited to your class crew members, so an Assassin won't be able to get Vette.

You can recruit your original companions, plus the core KOTFE story companions (Aric, Kaliyo, Senya, Koth, Torian, Vette). I believe the terminal is even broken down into two categories to pick from to get companions when you access it, original story and KOTFE companions.

I don't usually use the terminal except for the KOTET Chapter 9 choice of who I leave behind just because it is a decision I think shouldn't have been made. But I do have Torian and Vette on many previous non-hunters and warriors who did sacrifice them.

Edited by absolutetristan

You can recruit your original companions, plus the core KOTFE story companions (Aric, Kaliyo, Senya, Koth, Torian, Vette). I believe the terminal is even broken down into two categories to pick from to get companions when you access it, original story and KOTFE companions.

I don't usually use the terminal except for the KOTET Chapter 9 choice of who I leave behind just because it is a decision I think shouldn't have been made. But I do have Torian and Vette on many previous non-hunters and warriors who did sacrifice them.

Yep, this has been clarified in another post, and this quoted post has been edited to reflect that.

THANK you! I didn't know this thing even existed. It doesn't show up on the world map or mini map despite having all layers toggled on, and it doesn't even highlight when you mouse over it. I don't recall ever seeing any mention of this Companion Locator Terminal inside the game before.

I had already paid a ton in gifts to get Vette to level 50 after completing KOTET. I did it BECAUSE I knew I was done. I don't have a screenshot to prove it, but I specifically checked my Chapters list inside the game on this character right before accepting JUS and every single chapter to the very end was highlighted and "Grant Mission"-able.

Wiping out Vette must have been a bug for me, that's all I can think of. She was literally standing next to me, level 50, with KOTET completed, then disappeared and her bio listed her as dead. I realize based on the description of using this terminal that my actual story considers her dead and will forever more for this character, but oh well.

I guess at this point since I'm already in Chapter IX of KOTFE on my "new" Assassin, I'll continue playing him to finish it out; but this makes me much less concerned for all my alts, of which I have a level 60-70 of every advanced class.

I appreciate everyone's responses. Thank you all.

I still don't understand why BW did this, two LI's for two-classes seems odd to have to kill one. Did something happen to the voice actors?

I would love the story writer to give an explanation as to why, and why one of these two characters out of all the original companions?

What does not make sense to me is the choice is between two Empire character companions (sith warrior and bounty hunter) should have been one Empire character companion and one Republic character companion.. Vette and Risha would have been interesting because according to Smuggler chats with Risha they were once friends.