Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mastering Merc Healers

Rambeezy
11.25.2013 , 12:45 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Afieri View Post
You're welcome, but what does this have to do with anything? HPS is the most useless metric in the game and you shouldn't be judging merc's viability from HPS alone. So I have to ask, why are you posting these parses?
I was posting simply about the gear being used. It should also be noted than in HMs, looking at effective healing to judge a classes viability is useless because not enough damage is going out. Overhealing will run rampant until we get into NiM. I never made a single claim about viability, so I don't see how talking about viability is necessary in response to my post, but I hit on the point for you none the less.

Also, maybe I didn't make it clear enough, I WAS TRYING TO OVERHEAL; it's the only way to see what our sustained is.

Btw, I'm posting these parses to flex my e-peen. Duh
That 8 man parse was from when I solo healed HM S&V. I could probably solo heal SM DF/DP when I get my MH, but we shall see.

Rambeezy
11.25.2013 , 12:53 PM | #12
I should also point out that the OP was talking about raiding with his guild as a merc healer. Anything y'all bring up about pvp is not warranted, even if it's true.

gorstram
11.25.2013 , 01:17 PM | #13
There are actually a few bits and pieces of right and wrong information here.

**SNIP**.
Thank you for that post. I've been doing things a little differently, but I think this should make my life a little easier when healing my raid.
PO5:
Finklefett- 55 Merc (Gungans Ate My Baby)
Finkleboom- 55 Mando w/ 25% more Jesus Beams <OOTAP>
Finkle'Fabulous- 55 Vanguard: "The Big Pink Tank" <OOTAP>

Phrase
11.25.2013 , 05:51 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambeezy View Post
Anything y'all bring up about pvp is not warranted, even if it's true.
Hard pressed to see where the OP limits his comments to PvE.

Sixgun
The Bastion

Rambeezy
11.25.2013 , 07:32 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Phrase View Post
Hard pressed to see where the OP limits his comments to PvE.
He never said his responses were limited to pve. He would have to specifically say that of course. But if the question is whether or not the OP was talking about merc healers in pve or pvp, it's obvious. Pvers refer to boss encounters as "fights." I've never heard a pvper call an arena or wz a "fight." That may not seem obvious at first but the OP, in his second post, directly mentioned HM DP/DF which further confirms his original intentions.

Thank you.

Porkish
12.01.2013 , 11:28 PM | #16
I just could not take it anymore.....

Viable
adjective
1. capable of living.
2.Physiology
a.) physically fitted to live.
b.) (of a fetus) having reached such a stage of development as to be capable of living, under normal conditions, outside the uterus.
3. Botany able to live and grow.
4. vivid; real; stimulating, as to the intellect, imagination, or senses: a period of history that few teachers can make viable for students.

"Mercenary Healing as a viable option in end game raids." Does not mean "Mercenary Healing as a useful and necessary option for end game raids."

Afieri
12.02.2013 , 12:03 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Porkish View Post
I just could not take it anymore.....

Viable
adjective
1. capable of living.
2.Physiology
a.) physically fitted to live.
b.) (of a fetus) having reached such a stage of development as to be capable of living, under normal conditions, outside the uterus.
3. Botany able to live and grow.
4. vivid; real; stimulating, as to the intellect, imagination, or senses: a period of history that few teachers can make viable for students.

"Mercenary Healing as a viable option in end game raids." Does not mean "Mercenary Healing as a useful and necessary option for end game raids."
.... You really want to go there?

I can look up words in dictionaries too, I can even provide a source.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/viable

vi·a·ble
adj.
1. Capable of living, developing, or germinating under favorable conditions.
2. Capable of living outside the uterus. Used of a fetus or newborn.
3. Capable of success or continuing effectiveness; practicable: a viable plan; a viable national economy.

"Capable of success" is the part that you are looking for.

If you have nothing to contribute to the community, please refrain from using that keyboard of yours.
Warstalker Elai'a

Land rights for gay whales.

BigDumbViking
12.03.2013 , 01:13 PM | #18
.... You really want to go there?

I can look up words in dictionaries too, I can even provide a source.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/viable

vi·a·ble
adj.
1. Capable of living, developing, or germinating under favorable conditions.
2. Capable of living outside the uterus. Used of a fetus or newborn.
3. Capable of success or continuing effectiveness; practicable: a viable plan; a viable national economy.

"Capable of success" is the part that you are looking for.

If you have nothing to contribute to the community, please refrain from using that keyboard of yours.
Capable of success isn't exactly a ringing endorsement... Calling Merc's viable is like saying... "If you have no other option..." Which is basically what it is. There is nothing... let me repeat that NOTHING, that we do better or even equivalent to Sorcs or Operatives.

So if you are satisfied with being a distant 3 place in a 3 man race, then by all means... be happy with "Viable"...
YardstickAronhernandezM'argarita
StringcheeseBibi'fetSneak'y Viking
Dück Trombone

Rambeezy
12.03.2013 , 03:37 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by BigDumbViking View Post
Capable of success isn't exactly a ringing endorsement... Calling Merc's viable is like saying... "If you have no other option..." Which is basically what it is. There is nothing... let me repeat that NOTHING, that we do better or even equivalent to Sorcs or Operatives.

So if you are satisfied with being a distant 3 place in a 3 man race, then by all means... be happy with "Viable"...
Nobody is denying our ranking, but we aren't so far behind in healing ability that we can't be successfull in pve. If you think we are a distant 3rd and not just the 3rd best, you are wrong. As far as pvp goes, I think you need to take a look at what Dps classes are capable of and what the other healing classes can do (operatives mostly). The only way to counter the Dps classes in this game is to be unattackable, operatives have stealth so they take the cake. Healing ability though, we aren't worlds apart. We are just not as good.

Afieri
12.04.2013 , 06:23 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by BigDumbViking View Post

The 3 man race you are referring to is a fairly moot scenario because you are comparing 3 wildly different healing classes. Put simply, Mercs have the simplest set of healing abilities with 100% proc rates on important abilities and an alacrity boost on critical hits. This is so simplistic in design compared to sorcs and operatives who have to actively watch procs and buffs whilst watching health meters and mechanics. The difference between Mercs and the other 2 healing classes is that due to ops and sorcs having a higher skill floor, they are gifted with more abilities (which in turn increases the skill floor) and those abilities are very useful when it comes to raid healing, which is literally all merc healers really lack.

It's quite similar to the tanking balance in the game at the moment, where PT's are a fairly simple tank, but do not possess the same ability to pull clutch saves like assassins and juggs can with abilities like force shroud and saber reflect respectively.

But essentially (and this is what Rambeezy is hinting towards as well I feel) it is really just a l2p issue. Not so much hair learning to play your class but learning how the mechanics work in a fight, when to add extra dps, when to save your instant abilities as well as (this is IMO the number 1 issue that most healers have, but it is just noticeable in merc healers because they are largely single target healers) communicating with your other healers and organising your heals. Over healing on casted abilities is a sure fire path to destruction as a a merc healer purely because each of those heals that is casted is so valuable due to cast time and heat cost. Saying out loud, I will heal the tanks, you worry about the dps to your other healer will prove much more effective than being able to push the most HPS out of your toon.

Going back to the L2P thing, merc healers have cleared the hardest content and still are clearing the hardest content. The class is more than viable, everything that Rambeezy said is true about us not being a distant 3rd at all, we are just 3rd for this particular tier of content, but these things change. In 1.7, the arguably best healing combo was a sorc and a merc just because they complimented each other beautifully. So the balance will shift again in the future, but calling Mercs a barely passable healer is a bit strong, and not true.
Warstalker Elai'a

Land rights for gay whales.