Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Optimal Rotation for the Assault Specialist

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Optimal Rotation for the Assault Specialist

salaciousc's Avatar


salaciousc
10.19.2013 , 09:44 AM | #1
Optimal Rotation for the Assault Specialist

Instead of using a priority list of single attacks I concentrated on objectives in my rotation:

- A fixed rotation with no variable positions of attacks, I want to concentrate on enemies, not on cooldowns and HIB procs
- High chance of High Impact Bolt procs
- No unproductive Charged Bolts BEFORE High Impact Bolt is triggered
- Damage peak - Assault Plastique is always followed by a High Impact Bolt
- Assault Plastique and Incendiary Round are cast right after their cooldown/end of burning effect
- As positions are predetermined AP and IR can never be skipped at the end of their cooldown
- Ammo level never drops under 80%

Despite (better: Because) the rotaion has a fixed duration and no floating attacks, it deals extremely well with all the uncertainties connected with the game mechanics of that class.


The Rotation:

1. (Interrupted) Full Auto
2. Assault Plastique (not available after initiating the opening attacks)
3. High Impact Bolt
4. Charged Bolts
5. Charged Bolts(Please don't skip this attack!)
6. Incendiary Round
7. High Impact Bolt
8. Charged Bolts
-> repeat

In addition an Incendiary Round, an Assault Plastique and a High Impact Bolt should precede that rotation when attacking a new enemy.


Some additional notes:

The rotation is flexible in view of the skill tree. Assault Plastique is required (no hybrids) and abilities that improve burning effects/the High Impact Bolt.
The timing of those attacks have a major effect on the result, not the selection of special skills.

Full Auto and the all the Charged Bolts work as timer for High Impact Bolts, they can not be substituted by another attack

Full Auto at position 1 can be interrupted right after it triggered the High Impact Bolt. After the opening attack the enemy will be hit by 2 High Impact Bolts and a Assault Plastique in the shortest possible time. This may be interesting for PVP-matches.

If the High Impact Bolt has already been reseted, the Charged Bolt at position 5 should not(!) be skipped, this leads to problems with the timing and positioning of the Thermal Detonator.

It helps to sort single attacks on the quickbar according to this rotation.



The Red Eclipse - Scaeva (Sniper), Salacia (Sorc), Lowblow (Assault Specialist)

Helmholtzz's Avatar


Helmholtzz
10.19.2013 , 10:32 AM | #2
Link an parse. I want to see how much dps you are doing
Dead on Arrival Begeren Colony
Ascension Jedi Covenant
Instead of loving your enemies - treat your friends a little better.
Rööt Baree Dragonslayer Infernõ

salaciousc's Avatar


salaciousc
10.19.2013 , 10:48 AM | #3
I don't use my trooper very often, I prefer to play as sniper or sorc. Sending a parse would not make sense as I don't have high-class gear.

Helmholtzz's Avatar


Helmholtzz
10.19.2013 , 10:54 AM | #4
then how do you know your rotation is optimal?
Dead on Arrival Begeren Colony
Ascension Jedi Covenant
Instead of loving your enemies - treat your friends a little better.
Rööt Baree Dragonslayer Infernõ

salaciousc's Avatar


salaciousc
10.19.2013 , 10:57 AM | #5
Deep thoughts

LordKantner's Avatar


LordKantner
10.19.2013 , 02:22 PM | #6
Part of the reason HIB procs so reliably (Ionic Accellerator) is because you are procing it right at the end of the 6 second requirement. It is a close to 100% chance if you proc HiB from 6.0 seconds to 6.2 seconds. Any earlier and it won't proc, any later it may not proc.

Cutting off a Full Auto will likely make that an issue. If i read everything else right though, you are at least keeping a HiB proc every 4 GCD's so this might work.

3. High Impact Bolt
4. Charged Bolts
5. Charged Bolts(Please don't skip this attack!)
6. Incendiary Round
7. High Impact Bolt

Even though you are procing a HiB every 6 seconds, you aren't firing one every 6 seconds. I too would like to see a parse, I believe you would either lose a chunk of your dps or run into some ammo issues by not having the heat back as quickly as possible.
Severity Gaming
Kantner - Commando AS / Kingslaya - Mercenary Pyro
Commando - Assault Specialist 2.6 PvE Guide
Gunship Record Holder For Top Kills In GSF

salaciousc's Avatar


salaciousc
10.20.2013 , 12:49 AM | #7
Hello LordKanter

I wrote a long article that indirectly answers your question, it is in the section of the Pyro Merc, entry #11.

It is impossible to trigger and cast every railshot in 6 seconds, the failiure probability of 55% and casting Incendiary Missile and Thermal Detonator prevent this.

salaciousc's Avatar


salaciousc
10.20.2013 , 03:40 AM | #8
To explain the timing and possible collisions I moved attack #8 to the beginning and substituted Full Auto with Charged Bolts at position #1. The target is burning, so the other condition for a HIB is fulfilled.

The goal of this rotation is to cast Full Auto and Charged Bolts after the 6 second lockout, if the first attack has not triggered HIB then the second gets a chance. When the counter reached 6 the next attack can reset HIB. Before it is impossible.

Green numbers: First Charged Bolts reseted HIB
Red numbers: Second Charged Bolts reseted HIB

8. Charged Bolts 1.5 reset
1. Charged Bolts (Full Auto) 3 1.5 reset by Charged Bolts
2. Assault Plastique 4.5 3
3. High Impact Bolt 6 4.5
4. Charged Bolts 1.5 reset 6 <-Collision if HIB was reseted at #1with Charged Bolts
5. Charged Bolts(Please don't skip this attack!) 3 1.5 reset
6. Incendiary Round 4.5 3
7. High Impact Bolt 6 4.5
8. Charged Bolts 6 <- Collision if HIB was reseted at #5

The timings in green are trivial, red numbers show where problems could surface, description below:

I assume that attack #8 has not triggered HIB, Charged Bolts at position #1 are used to reset HIB. 3 attacks later Charged Bolts #4 falls into the lockout phase, as a result Charaged Bolts #5 has a chance of only 45% to reset HIB. Using charged Bolts instead of Full Auto brings back a high degree of uncertainty, this is what should be avoided. Therefore I use Full Auto in the original rotation.

Full Auto shifts the timing 1 position backwards (it acts like HIB was activated by the previous attack), as a result Charged Bolts #4 and #5 are outside the 6 second barrier and both can trigger HIB. At #4 and #5 new counters begin.
More problematic is position #8: Those Charged Bolts can only activate HIB if Charged Bolts #4 triggered. This Problem is compensated by using Full Auto, which has a probability of 75% to reset HIB.

Thats the theory

The Red Eclipse - Scaeva, Salacia, Lowblow

LordKantner's Avatar


LordKantner
10.20.2013 , 12:19 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by salaciousc View Post
Hello LordKanter

I wrote a long article that indirectly answers your question, it is in the section of the Pyro Merc, entry #11.

It is impossible to trigger and cast every railshot in 6 seconds, the failiure probability of 55% and casting Incendiary Missile and Thermal Detonator prevent this.
Not sure what you mean by this. 6 seconds = 4 GCD's which is completely doable in fillers such as:

HiB, Charged Bolts x 3, HiB
HiB, FA, Charged Bolt, HiB
HiB, AP, Charged Bolts x 2. HiB
HiB, IR, Charged Bolts x 2, HiB

I've read most of what you have said, just a bit confuses me. It'd be great if you can fit all the abilities evenly so they all line up, but most of the damage in the spec comes from the HiB. I haven't seen a way to incorporate a full rotation in this spec, which is why I am again asking for some parses because there may be a way to do just that. I however, as well as any good assault parse I've seen, uses fillers to always proc the HiB within 6 seconds.

Here is a recent parse of mine in assault hybrid: http://www.torparse.com/a/463605/tim...0/Damage+Dealt

High Impact Bolt is my highest damaging ability.

Notice that I proc a HiB about every 6 seconds. If I don't happen to get the proc, I can use Full Auto to instantly proc one instead of using another Charged Bolts, and I'd have to wait for another cast by doing it that way.

If you are in perfect synchronization with the 6 sec proc, it is almost a 100% chance to proc HiB. If it doesn't proc it is because you have done the filler too quickly or too slowly.
Severity Gaming
Kantner - Commando AS / Kingslaya - Mercenary Pyro
Commando - Assault Specialist 2.6 PvE Guide
Gunship Record Holder For Top Kills In GSF

salaciousc's Avatar


salaciousc
10.20.2013 , 03:58 PM | #10
If you use segments 1 or 2 you create a period of time where IR or AP are not on the target, therefore I don't use those.

If in segments 3 or 4 the first Charged Bolt failed to trigger HIB (probability =55%), you limit the chance for a HIB proc in the next segment to 45%, as the next Charged Bolt (or even FA) at the first position after HIB falls into the lockout phase. If that happened once it will happen again and again.

This is the reason why I combined phase 2 and 3, FA synchronizes the segments if a first Charged Bolt fails to trigger.

HIB, Charged Bolts, FA, AP, HIB
HIB, Charged Bolts, Charged Bolts, IR, HIB -> Those segments are the same
----

Original post:

1. HiB, Charged Bolts x 3, HiB -> first charged bolt cannot trigger
2. HiB, FA, Charged Bolt, HiB
3. HiB, AP, Charged Bolts , Charged Bolts, HiB
4. HiB, IR, Charged Bolts, Charged Bolts, HiB -> Probabiltiy to proc HIB is only 45%

failed
lockout


The Red Eclipse - Scaeva, Salacia, Lowblow