Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

gunnery or assault for single target dps?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
gunnery or assault for single target dps?

Frog_brains
05.07.2012 , 11:26 AM | #1
I just rolled a commando for the first time, now i've got a shadow (tank), sentinal (meelee dps), sawbones (medic) and I want my commando to be a ranged dps, I strictly do PVE, and want something that will be easy to lvl without having to respec for endgame.

From my experience tanking with the shadow, i'm we're a little bit light in single target dps, but with our DOT's and AOE, I"m doing more dps (over multiple targets) than the dps.

For commando would it be beneficial for FP's/HM/NM to just focus on single target dps or keep some points for AOE as well, or let the tanks, worry about AOE?

SeloDaoC
05.07.2012 , 11:38 AM | #2
MV is really your only viable aoe for PvE, but after the nerf its not really worth using that even. As a class promoted as beeing good on aoe, were very weak at it.

If you only PvE, full Gunnery is probably not to bad, i havent done any raiding since 1.2 so i cant say, but they suck in PvP. Its however a more relaxed "pewpew" playstyle

Frog_brains
05.07.2012 , 11:40 AM | #3
what skills would you use from Assault if you wanted to hybrid?

NoFishing
05.07.2012 , 12:25 PM | #4
DPS Commando's are pretty easy to level in any case. Your second companion, acquired after your class quest on Taris, is a healer which makes it pretty easy. And our 3 AoE attacks clear up most mobs pretty quick.

Here is my take on the trees:

Gunnery is great single target DPS, and has great burst ability with demo round, HiB, and full auto procs. But it is a lot of spamming of grav round, and a couple of buffs/debuffs to watch and keep up with. It is also very stationary...movement kills gunnery DPS, especially if we lose the grav round stacks as a result.

Assault is more DoT based, and more useful against multiple targets as we can fire incendiary round on a couple of targets before focusing on the primary. There also are not any real procs/debuffs to watch for, just keeping DoTs up and watching for cool downs, so I think it is a bit easier to play. I've just switched my commando from gunnery to assault for PvE, and haven't done much yet to form a real opinion on which is better, but my initial feeling is stationary turret-mode DPS is a bit weaker than gunnery, but that is balanced out by more mobility.

I'm not sure I understand your final question, there really aren't any AoE-specific skill points to allocate in either tree. All 3 of our AoE attacks are good, although mostly used on trash pulls.

JLapp
05.07.2012 , 01:57 PM | #5
Gunnery overall does better single target damage than assault.

Assault has better mobility than gunnery, but in PVE you never really have to move enough to make up for the lower sustained DPS.

Commandos have solid AOE abilities either way.

Frog_brains
05.08.2012 , 12:17 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
I'm not sure I understand your final question, there really aren't any AoE-specific skill points to allocate in either tree. All 3 of our AoE attacks are good, although mostly used on trash pulls.
Basically i'm asking is it worth using AOE in your rotation or just on cool down from other attacks? for trash mobs it's doesn't really matter, but if we're doing a WB or a HM will i loose a lot by not using the aoe attacks regularly

NoFishing
05.08.2012 , 01:13 PM | #7
Personally I never use AoE attacks against single targets, although I do see other commando's liking pulse cannon for targets in range (10m). To me, the AoE attacks use up too much ammo, and don't have any synergy with the skill trees. There always seems to be something better to cast than an AoE once we are down to one target.

Fhrosty
05.08.2012 , 02:58 PM | #8
If an AoE ever does more dmg to a single target than I can do with one of my main single-target attacks for roughly the same ammo, I'm calling foul.

(Though every once in a while I do catch myself dropping a MV on a boss just for the eye-candy explosions.)

Frog_brains
05.11.2012 , 11:48 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
Personally I never use AoE attacks against single targets, although I do see other commando's liking pulse cannon for targets in range (10m). To me, the AoE attacks use up too much ammo, and don't have any synergy with the skill trees. There always seems to be something better to cast than an AoE once we are down to one target.
what's up with that? I know from playing a shadow our AOE's are directly influenced/ and influence our skill tree and our single target attacks. I wonder if it's something they tired in beta and found it too powerful/unbalanced, or too complicated to work into a rotation.

NoFishing
05.11.2012 , 12:48 PM | #10
Yeah, on my sage, force in balance (which I believe is shared with shadows) is one of my hardest hitting abilities, buffs DoT damage, as well as giving me a small heal. Definitely part of my single target DPS rotation there!

Commando trees don't have anything similar. But we do get demo round and a big gun, so I don't really miss it.