Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Advanced Prototype is a joke right?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Advanced Prototype is a joke right?

Agooz's Avatar


Agooz
03.14.2012 , 11:50 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by italky View Post
As I said , people can play how the hell they want. And it is down to preference and playstyle , some people don't want the ZOMG ROLL MY FACE OVER THE KEYBOARD AND WIN feeling. Some people do some people don't . Preference buddy.
You think by repeating the same garbage and using caps, you are going to make your argument stronger? In fact you do not have an argument.
People come to the forum for advice. When they read someone giving thumbs up for a broken tree (which is a fact not an opinion), and no one criticizing it for what it is, then you are doing them a disservice and you are flat out lying to them and maybe even causing them to have a frustrating gaming experience.
There is a difference between playing the AP tree because you know what you are getting yourself into, and for some reason you just want a challenge, VS., playing it because some clueless person makes unfounded claims about it on a forum and you follow it.

Bobinator's Avatar


Bobinator
03.14.2012 , 11:53 AM | #12
I kinda enjoyed this spec in pve...because I dont PvP....everyone here is probably talking about it in pvp.


But kids will be kids...OH IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT FEELS AWKWARD OH ITS TERRIBLE AND ANYONE USING IT IS A STUPID BUTTFACE. I wish someone plays an Adv. Prototype and comes up with an amazing guide how to play to wipe these smirks off the faces of people that bash **** because ITS TOO HARD I DONT KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT!
As of right now, i'm rash free.

Agooz's Avatar


Agooz
03.14.2012 , 12:04 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
I kinda enjoyed this spec in pve...because I dont PvP....everyone here is probably talking about it in pvp.


But kids will be kids...OH IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT FEELS AWKWARD OH ITS TERRIBLE AND ANYONE USING IT IS A STUPID BUTTFACE. I wish someone plays an Adv. Prototype and comes up with an amazing guide how to play to wipe these smirks off the faces of people that bash **** because ITS TOO HARD I DONT KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT!
Pyro is leagues ahead of AP in PvP and even more in PvE. The kids and babies I see are those who refuse to listen to reason. Just like kids, whose parents have seen that and done that and try to explain to them that this is the better way, the teenager will still rebel, yell (or write in caps) and believe that they know better than those who have been in their shoes before.
- There are no AP guides because you cant write a guide about a broken tree
- There is nothing "hard" about playing an AP. If anything it is alot easier than a pyro.

Back to the kids analogy, they all eventually learn, the hardway and often end up doing what their parents advised them to, or they end up in jail. lol

Theology's Avatar


Theology
03.14.2012 , 12:57 PM | #14
If you play an AP Powertech, you're a complete waste of a raid slot/pvp slot. Please dont ever group with me.

Assaultrooper's Avatar


Assaultrooper
03.14.2012 , 12:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Theology View Post
Hopefully with 1.2 They redesign this tree along with the Arsenal tree.
This! I have the strange morbid feeling they are gonna nerf pyrotech... so I REALLLY hope they buff AP ALOT!
Quote: Originally Posted by CrunkShizzle View Post
Just wonderin how AP is lookin pvp wise
Could be worse

Assaultrooper's Avatar


Assaultrooper
03.14.2012 , 01:02 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Agooz View Post
Pyro is leagues ahead of AP in PvP and even more in PvE. The kids and babies I see are those who refuse to listen to reason. Just like kids, whose parents have seen that and done that and try to explain to them that this is the better way, the teenager will still rebel, yell (or write in caps) and believe that they know better than those who have been in their shoes before.
- There are no AP guides because you cant write a guide about a broken tree
- There is nothing "hard" about playing an AP. If anything it is alot easier than a pyro.

Back to the kids analogy, they all eventually learn, the hardway and often end up doing what their parents advised them to, or they end up in jail. lol
^This... Yea sure I can kill a bunch of nabs with AP, 1v1 prob starts when a group fight starts and get singled down cus I HAVE to be in melee.... Then you have the "other" problem that AP dmg is noticeably lower than pyro! Dont get me wrong Adv Proto is awesome to mess around, and would be even more awesome if somehow it was viable, cus for me a real mandalorian would be AP specced... but as for now its just the gimped cousin of pyro... For me the worst spec in the entire game....
Quote: Originally Posted by CrunkShizzle View Post
Just wonderin how AP is lookin pvp wise
Could be worse

Varicite's Avatar


Varicite
03.14.2012 , 01:32 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
I kinda enjoyed this spec in pve...because I dont PvP....everyone here is probably talking about it in pvp.


But kids will be kids...OH IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT FEELS AWKWARD OH ITS TERRIBLE AND ANYONE USING IT IS A STUPID BUTTFACE. I wish someone plays an Adv. Prototype and comes up with an amazing guide how to play to wipe these smirks off the faces of people that bash **** because ITS TOO HARD I DONT KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT!
I used to advocate it as best as I could, because I really wanted to love it. Unfortunately, they're pretty much right about AP.

I won't be snide or anything, but the tree definitely needs a rework. It is a one-trick pony with Hydraulic Overrides, and everything else is either low enough to not be unique to AP, or completely outclassed by the other 2 trees.

For example: AP has MOBILITY! ST has more mobility, and Pyro has range and snares. Both are better than AP's mobility in practice. I should also mention that the 2 classes that Hydraulic Overrides helps the most against are dps Mercs/Commandos and Sage/Sorcs. PTs can rip both of these classes apart w/out the ability very easily, so it really becomes useful only for Huttball and running away from engagements/finding LoS.

AP has ELEMENTAL/INTERNAL DAMAGE! Pyro actually outclasses AP by a rather hefty margin when it comes to elemental damage, and RB just doesn't even compare to IM for DoT damage. RB is cheaper, however, and far less useful because Pyro has Flame Burst proc'ing CGC at 10m and applying a snare.

AP has DAMAGE REDUCTION! Pyro has Energy Rebounder which wins, imo. ST has almost as much full-time passive damage reduction as AP gets during stuns only.

AP has BUFFED FLAMETHROWER! I try not to lol when I hear this, because using this outside of stun cds (which is every 45 secs-1 min at the most) depends entirely on your opponents being idiots, and NOT your own personal skill at all. You can literally just walk away from it and negate the damage. I'm not willing to bank on that every match. I'd much rather use Pyro's superbuffed Flame Bursts/Rail Shots, or ST's utility.

AP has IMMOLATE! This ability looks downright cool, and I wish I could use it all the time, but it's not worth all of the terribly designed talents to get to it. Also, if I really cared that much about hitting hard? Pyro has TD. In fact, Pyro doesn't even need TD to outdamage 31 AP; it can do it handily w/ only 25 points and buffed Rail Shots.

This is why people call it a joke. I really want to love it, but it needs a rework. It is a fun playstyle.

Also, just for the record, it's far harder to stay alive to do your job as a Pyro since you can't simply use HO every 30 seconds to escape. Also, heat management is more involved. If anything, AP was an "easier" spec to play, but I was underwhelmed by the results when compared to my current spec.

I hope that does a better job of explaining the tree's shortcomings. You can fight to overcome them, certainly, but it's an uphill battle and largely unecessary unless you just REALLY enjoy the AP playstyle and are willing to underperform for that reason alone.
Quote: Originally Posted by JayPres View Post
Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.

OldSchoolC's Avatar


OldSchoolC
03.14.2012 , 03:49 PM | #18
I haven't tried a full AP spec because I just don't see it working, but I did attempt to work it into my spec that I posted here in the PT forum (read: Dusky Sparrow). Admittedly the dps is lower than the carolina parakeet version of it, but I really wanted to find a spec that made some use of the AP tree. Maybe for now it can't be done effectively, but I wanted to experiment with it.
Arenít you a little short for a stormtrooper?

Varicite's Avatar


Varicite
03.14.2012 , 03:53 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by OldSchoolC View Post
I haven't tried a full AP spec because I just don't see it working, but I did attempt to work it into my spec that I posted here in the PT forum (read: Dusky Sparrow). Admittedly the dps is lower than the carolina parakeet version of it, but I really wanted to find a spec that made some use of the AP tree. Maybe for now it can't be done effectively, but I wanted to experiment with it.
Best uses of the tree that I've seen are Taugrim's Iron Fist, and the hybrid Run 'n Gun spec.

I don't know if you can even count Iron Fist, as it doesn't go that high into the tree.
Quote: Originally Posted by JayPres View Post
Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.

tuxiewuxie's Avatar


tuxiewuxie
03.14.2012 , 05:47 PM | #20
its very sad but i agree with most of you guys, if you play proto especially a killer proto with hegc/generator in pvp, apply that skill and play pyro, you will be more useful to everyone, including yourself, and yes if aps could do proto flamethrower on the move and if hegc could proc something useful for pvp (lol@vent heat) like the other 2 stances snaring and doing damage, i am sure many players would respec back to proto and nobody would be complaining about it but that is not gonna happen anytime soon.