Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

Overload changes have to be reconsidered. In PVP (especially rateds), a healer has multiple players trying to kill them at once. Those players don't only attack at 120 degrees in front of my character. So while your light armor wearing sorc is trying to heal herself and the group she is supporting while being attacked from players 360 degrees around her, you want her to turn and use overload in hopes of catching the majority of them.....

Overload as it stands today is a 2 second break from melee attacks that might help me move away in time to squeeze one heal before they are back on me.

yeah right.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Sorc healer, I have to say I HATE the Overload change and feel it is going to affect healer survivability negatively.

I primarily use Overload in two situations in PvP.

1. I'm getting swarmed and stunned. Foes all around beating me and stunning me, I spam my Overload button til I break free of stun and can get it off. It gives me breathing room and a chance to survive. NOW, in the middle of a group of foes who are beating and stunning my ***, I will need to maneuver around, FACE them, and then hit Overload? The only GOOD news is I won't need to sit on another healer to give them room.

2. I'm running like hell with someone beating on my *** (I also do this in PVE). Now I'm going to have to turn around, run MORE SLOWLY backwards and blast them while I continue to take damage.

I stuck it out through the Sorc healing nerf; I'll stick it out through this, but damn, healing in PvP pre-50 is rare as hell already; I can't imagine what it will be like after this. (I can't speak much for 50 lately since I haven't been PvPing there the past month or two, but I know we lost quite a few in the "Great Sorc Nerf of 2012").

Why don't you ever think about how bad you are making PvE when you make these changes.

Everything in the article say this and that for PvP... Meanwhile scrappers can't dps, sorcs can't heal, assassins can't tank... all because previous changes you have made.

Everyone wanted a nerf to marauders and powertechs, and for sage damage to be internal and elemental like sorc damage is... but what do you do?

You get rid of healer utility (10 meters does not accomodate where healers need to be standing in PvP or PvE).

You get rid of scrapper dps burst, now having to wait 2 minutes for disappearing act so we can use shioot first again.

And don't you think that its bad that you had to create a new ability to solve the sorc healer nerf you did in 1.2?

Overall: Rather pathetic how short-sighted the changes have been. We get it. You care about PvP more than fun PvE gameplay.

Have fun losing more subs.

As a Sorc healer, I have to say I HATE the Overload change and feel it is going to affect healer survivability negatively.

I primarily use Overload in two situations in PvP.

1. I'm getting swarmed and stunned. Foes all around beating me and stunning me, I spam my Overload button til I break free of stun and can get it off. It gives me breathing room and a chance to survive. NOW, in the middle of a group of foes who are beating and stunning my ***, I will need to maneuver around, FACE them, and then hit Overload? The only GOOD news is I won't need to sit on another healer to give them room.

2. I'm running like hell with someone beating on my *** (I also do this in PVE). Now I'm going to have to turn around, run MORE SLOWLY backwards and blast them while I continue to take damage.

I stuck it out through the Sorc healing nerf; I'll stick it out through this, but damn, healing in PvP pre-50 is rare as hell already; I can't imagine what it will be like after this. (I can't speak much for 50 lately since I haven't been PvPing there the past month or two, but I know we lost quite a few in the "Great Sorc Nerf of 2012").

I think you missed the part about us having a instant cast free force self heal. Also having to move is something healers should have to do anyhow. Also consider the fun to be had in huttball and the new wz for throwing people into FIRE!!!

Overall I like the direction the devs are going with this. Really one minor nerf, and some good buffs. We will have to see about resolve in game, however, to really judge it.

Why don't you ever think about how bad you are making PvE when you make these changes.

Everything in the article say this and that for PvP... Meanwhile scrappers can't dps, sorcs can't heal, assassins can't tank... all because previous changes you have made.

Everyone wanted a nerf to marauders and powertechs, and for sage damage to be internal and elemental like sorc damage is... but what do you do?

You get rid of healer utility (10 meters does not accomodate where healers need to be standing in PvP or PvE).

You get rid of scrapper dps burst, now having to wait 2 minutes for disappearing act so we can use shioot first again.

And don't you think that its bad that you had to create a new ability to solve the sorc healer nerf you did in 1.2?

Overall: Rather pathetic how short-sighted the changes have been. We get it. You care about PvP more than fun PvE gameplay.

I don't understand what you mean sorcs can't heal I heal EC just fine on my sorc. explain plz . :)

Hello everyone,

Please discuss this week's Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4 blog in this thread!

Are you freakin kidding me? Heres my discussion. First you lower shadows armor and self heal, now you make us stuck in the open for 2 full minutes? Why dont you take a football, and stuff it completely in our colon. :rak_02:

Whos brilliant idea is this? Sage change, beneficial, as always. Op change, beneficial as always, Shadow change, akin to molestation, as always.

For anyone complaining about the overload/force wave being turned into a cone rather than a circle, yes it was one of the primary escape attempts for trapped sorcerers and sages before, but that is now given to force speed which has now a lowered cooldown and grants immunity from all incapacitating effects, the only thing lost is the fun ability to push several people to their doom at once

An interrupt will be nice, I guess, and I get the Electro Dart thing, but no knockback on Rocket Punch?! I LIVE on that in Huttball! D: So Powertechs can just yank people into fire, but I can't even luck out and punch someone into one anymore unless I use my long-cooldown Jet Boost?

Terrible patch. Nothing important to the game is changing for the better, but you're changing a stun system (resolve) that baddies *****ed at because they didn't know how it worked /how to properly spread out stuns. No maura debuff, or pve jugg update, no PTR testing. A change to knock backs for some reason, not too sure why this was a big focus for you guys considering all the ****** changes you guys have made to this game.

Congrats on bringing back the hybrid heal/dps for the sorc/sage class, thought you wanted to move away from that.

I've been subscribed since the start, sad to say that this is the patch that pushes me over, and my main's class isn't even getting nerfed.. The lack of actual changes that matter, story of biowares life.

You are dead wrong on two out of the three there. Yes Scrappers need a DPS boost [in PvE]. PvP, they're fine. But the other two? Honestly man, it comes down to L2P. I hate throwing out that term but that's what it is. Anyone who honestly believes Sages/Sorcs can't heal and / or Shadow/Assassin cannot tank are simply living in ignorance.

There is, honestly, very minimal impact on the PvE game in these changes. In content that matters (HM Ops) -- and I say this because you do not need to play at the top of your game or even be optimized to complete all other content -- Force Stun, Force Wave or whatever else is not needed to succeed. The only time that Force Stun is used in HM OPs is the Baradium Bombers in Kephess. If you have a Shadow Tank (which you should) he takes care of that himself via Nerve Wracking. I really don't see the issue.

The Sage vs Sorcerer thing isn't as big of a problem as you make it seem. BiS Campaign for Sage and Sorcerer [in Lightning and Teleknetic specs) is a 4 DPS difference in favour of the Sorcerer. 4. That's it. In PvP you may have a point, but numbers seem to indicate otherwise.

===

Overall I really like these changes. Commando/Mercs getting an interupt is enormous, and I much prefer the changes to Overload/Force Wave. I know Sage healers will like the extra heal as well. I'm a big fan of the resolve system change simply because [in PUGs] it is incredibly irritating to see stuns go out and resolve is capped almost instantly. Very frustrating. I'm glad to see this change come about.

For anyone complaining about the overload/force wave being turned into a cone rather than a circle, yes it was one of the primary escape attempts for trapped sorcerers and sages before, but that is now given to force speed which has now a lowered cooldown and grants immunity from all incapacitating effects, the only thing lost is the fun ability to push several people to their doom at once

This ^

Interesting changes. Though I wonder if there's more in the pipe than just what's presented here. For example, nothing changing with Power-techs or Marauders.

Looks like Scoundrels are finally getting a short duration movement speed increase. 50% increase whenever we use Sneak. Cooldown reset whenever we leave stealth (encouraging us to use sneak to close gaps in stealth, and close gaps afterwards). 6 seconds doesn't feel very long, but maybe it's long enough. Personally, I'd trade 6 seconds of 50% speed, for 3 seconds of 100% speed.

Disappearing Act goes down to 2 minute cooldown standard, with the ability to bring it down further to 1:30. Should be pretty useful.

No changes presented about overall DPS though. It's still pretty front-loaded, and dependent on Upper Hands. I'm hoping there's a few other changes related to Back Blast/ Sucker Punch that simply aren't mentioned here. Sucker Punch in particular could really use a bit of tweaking.

Almost full War Hero Sorc heals here. I'm pretty expert at staying alive by kiting (as good as one can be against melee types that have lots of gap closers), and I have to warn you that the changes to Overload and Electrocute are going to significantly reduce survivability for Sorcs/Sages.

Overlord is a "skunk's tail"-like defensive cooldown in kiting: I turn my butt toward the enemy, knockback, and then create separation by moving away, usually in search of a LOS breaking obstacles. With the new ability, I'll have to face my foe and then trigger Overload and then turn around and then run away. That's hard to do in practice because lag prevents quick movements like that. Another use of Overload was to knockback an enemy while standing at a corner of LOS and then going around that corner. Not possible with your new cone effect. Adept close-range fighters are already skilled in moving through you, making it difficult to use forward-facing effects on them consistently (particularly with a narrow aperture cone at very close range, I imagine). So this is a major nerf to an ability that, talented with Electric Bindings, was one of our few escape mechanisms. We're already very squishy, and melees already have lots of gap closers. Why you want to reduce survivability is beyond me. I've heard lots of complaints, but "sorcs always get away" was not one of them.

Similarly, Electocute was a preemptive opener at 30 meters. If you could get it off before the leap, you could try to run away. Not so at 10 meters. The leap has likely occurred already and some melded have CC immunity after leaps.

These two changes favor melee types at he expense of a class already regarded as too squishy by most. I meant his feedback in a constructive light and not as a complaint. I Enjoy the class and it's limits as is. But less survivability against melees is not the right direction for balance.

Ok, please clarify if I'm misunderstanding the changes but what I see is the changes you've made to resolve are completely in the WRONG direction and will make stun locking even WORSE!

• Decreasing the rate resolve builds due to stacking mistimed stuns is bad--now it will effectively take longer to fill a character's resolve bar thus will be able to controlled for a longer period of time.
  • Adding more slows and stuns and decreasing stun break time for "some" characters is just insane!!

You need to reduce the prevalence of stuns overall not increase it!!!!!!

SUGGESTION:

Remove all stuns as soon as the bar is completely full. Too many times characters are properly chain stunned and remain stunned while having a full resolve bar, only to see the resolve bar quickly fall to zero as they are released from CC and usually by then, are swiftly killed.

I actually think this will help sorc and sage survivability immensely, we're given a escape ability which removes all roots and snares and grant immunity from them, we're given a instant self heal, and lastly our alacrity modifier grants now immunity to interrupts, finally I can lay down my heavy fire without getting interrupted halfway Edited by SNCommand